RotLA (FoA style) Game project

Dr.Sartorius

Attila the Professor said:
Has nobody caught that this bunch is making a <I>Raiders</I> graphic adventure in the Fate of Atlantis style that actually seems to be getting somewhere? I know it's in Spanish, but come on, check out that footage.

Looks good but I'd much rather see a 3D graphic adventure. I still love the FOA graphics but its so dated now.

Attila the Professor said:
Has nobody caught that this bunch is making a <I>Raiders</I> graphic adventure in the Fate of Atlantis style that actually seems to be getting somewhere? I know it's in Spanish, but come on, check out that footage.

It is real, just posted on the spanish forums to get a hold of the state of the game and congrats the maker.

But I guess quo can say some more about it as he is, if im not wrong, the main developer of the project.

Regards from Germany,

LJ

Nope, at least not that i know. Its pretty short and just a demo, so I dont really see the point on a walkthrough xD

Keep trying!:whip:

Regards,

LJ

Exulted Unicron

I've gotten to the point where I've met Ahmed, learnt about the dress and gotten Ahmed's washbag, but i can't get the disguise off him. I can't think where to go and what to do next

quo_sp

Thank you Luisiana_Jones :)

Exulted Unicron said:
I've gotten to the point where I've met Ahmed, learnt about the dress and gotten Ahmed's washbag, but i can't get the disguise off him. I can't think where to go and what to do next

A tip.

After talk with Ahmed about the dress Indy will have an idea, but for complete the idea Indy will have to look arround, even over his head ;)

This is a puzzle of observation, dialog and action.

quo_sp said:
Thank you Luisiana_Jones :)

A tip.

After talk with Ahmed about the dress Indy will have an idea, but for complete the idea Indy will have to look arround, even over his head ;)

This is a puzzle of observation, dialog and action.

Yop listening to the necessities of people and fulfilling them xD

Regards,

LJ

Lambonius

Luisiana Jones said:
I do not know if this has been posted and although i do not have nothing to do with this, gotta say this new demo its just awesome!!

http://www.teckelstudios.es/files/ROTLA DEMO Setup (english).exe

Thanks to the spanish Indy community and teckel studios for developing this :whip:

While that demo does a decent job of setting the mood of those scenes from the movie, it really sucks from an adventure game standpoint.

I'm not knocking the effort--I love the idea, and the artwork and use of the musical cues is really nice, but the whole thing just reeks of a lack of creativity in terms of translating a memorable sequence from the film into equally memorable and interesting adventure game puzzles. There are a lot of really strange choices made here that detract from the flow of the sequence and don't make a lot of sense from a puzzle design standpoint. Backtracking from the idol chamber back past the chasm to the light beam room to trigger the trap? What? Why? And why does Barranca just stand there and let me whip the gun from his hand? That should have been worked into a dialog puzzle, or at least a time sensitive situation. Lastly, Satipo just follows me around, and yet, I can't ask him for a torch to test the stone floor slabs, or do anything really even remotely resembling the movie sequence there. And then, Indy just walks across the floor tiles without trouble. That would have been much more interesting and made more sense as a top-down stepping stone type puzzle, like the Word of God from the Last Crusade adventure game. I dunno, I want to like it, but I just can't get over the bad puzzle design decisions.

Also, the translations of lines from the movie are noticeably inaccurate to the actual English version of the film. They'll want to fix those up before any kind of real English release. I'd really go back to the drawing board in terms of puzzles though--there is just so much more that could be done with this amazing sequence. Why not expand the temple? Why not make the trip through the jungle more of a puzzle in which you have to follow certain clues on the map to get through? They also need to think logically about why Indy would do certain things, like fill the bag with sand, before he knows he needs it in the game. A lot of the "puzzles" rely on the player having seen the movie and just doing what happened in the movie. Just loads of missed opportunities here.

Last edited:
While i totally agree with your critic on puzzles and translation you have to face the fact that it's just a demo, translation and final puzzles gotta still be worked on. But the fact that a new game project has been born and "is" actually being developed should make us all glad as we havent seeing much success in other projects rather than FOY.

Kind regards,

LJ

EvilEmperorZoRG

Looks very promising, though I want more a new Indy game than a fan made with early 90s graphics.
Is there a playable demo ?

EDIT: Found it ;)

Last edited:

Lambonius

Luisiana Jones said:
While i totally agree with your critic on puzzles and translation you have to face the fact that it's just a demo, translation and final puzzles gotta still be worked on. But the fact that a new game project has been born and "is" actually being developed should make us all glad as we havent seeing much success in other projects rather than FOY.

Kind regards,

LJ

Right, I know. :) I just had to give my critique though. I make adventure games in my spare time as well, so those type of puzzle design and logic issues really stand out to me.