Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

IndyBr said:
Same here, in three days I'll be headed to Rio de Janeiro, it would be a nice place to take some photos with Indy, specially since I'm going there for the historical buildings and museums in the city.

I would love to guide Little Indy here in Brazil, too bad next year is my last in college, so I don't have the time nor the money needed to travel around the country. But I'm planning a trip to China in january of 2014, so... who knows? :)
IndyBr: Having the figure in Brazil would be wonderful, even if it's not in Rio.(y) But you MUST be in for the long haul. A number of people who wanted to participate have gone away. It's a decision to be made by the ultimate, Project Leader - Inky Skin.

I was the first to host the action figure, and have been to many superb locations since then, but this project is all about sharing (which is what makes Inky's plan so great). EVERYONE involved has done a marvelous job at keeping it vibrant & moving forward.:hat: That said...

---
Update: Archaeos has been sent an e-mail, in an attempt to whip-crack him into posting his photos!:whip:

Said I: "With GREAT reservation, Le Saboteur is holding back from jumping over your tour."

IndyBr

Stoo said:
IndyBr: Having the figure in Brazil would be wonderful, even if it's not in Rio.(y) But you MUST be in for the long haul. A number of people who wanted to participate have gone away. It's a decision to be made by the ultimate, Project Leader - Inky Skin.

I was the first to host the action figure, and have been to many superb locations since then, but this project is all about sharing (which is what makes Inky's plan so great). EVERYONE involved has done a marvelous job at keeping it vibrant & moving forward.:hat: That said...

It would be a real honor to be part of the project, I could gladly guide him through both Campinas and Bragança Paulista at the very least.
So, Inky, consider the offer :hat:
We would just have to sort the right time for it.
That said, I'll do my best to stick around here, folks, not that it's any hard. ;)

Archaeos

Dead Ravener Walking

inky_skin said:
Looks like I've let my grip on this thread slip. I'll be putting things in order this weekend.

Best Regards,

Inky

Same here from me. Totally lost grip on this thread, and lost grip regarding the honour to have been invited to contribute to this awesome project.

I hope you still accept my apologies (maybe following this week-end's posts of mine?), alternatively, please feel free to smother me in the snow field just outside The Raven, next to the where the yaks are doing their business.

As I posted earlier in #1002, I have just changed job over a month ago, and it is fair to say that during the four week probation period, my new boss took me out for a test drive. An extensive test drive :eek: . I think I earned my stripes now, and can return pick up the whip on my "second life" here at The Raven, this thread and Travel(l)ing Indy's adventure.

Special thanks to Stoo here, whose support was/is phenomenal. Sorry for the "Funkstille", dear Stoo, I literally havn't read my private email since 6 weeks. Thank the Gods for the search function to fish out all e-mails from you :dead: .

Right, I await inky_skins's decision on how to proceed with this thread, re. if LeSab should go first. Otherwise, I am ready to start posting. Look forward to hearing The Wise Inky to make his judgment call...

Again, with genuine apologies,

-Archaeos

P.S.:
I might have been sealed in work carbonite for a while, but surely that story that Lucasfilm was picked up by Disney... I mean... that's a joke, isn't it? :confused:

Last edited:

Archaeos

Okay, inky_skin hasn't called his verdict yet on whether LeSab or I should proceed, but in order to keep the angry crowd from lynching me, here some background photos (which also help me test if ImageShack likes me - it's a test run for me):

Picking up from where I left in post #1000 of this thread :)eek:, 1000!)

Archaeos said:
Let it be heard :hat: :

Mini Indy is back, and will return in

"Travelling Indy and the Discus of Pegasus"

33023644090280261550558.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7892/33023644090280261550558.jpg

Archaeos

This shows how Mini Indy a.k.a. Travelling Indy is actually journeying around the globe.

Very lightweight, flatpacked, but with everything he needs. He is travelling in a sealed container bag: I swapped the original Tesco food bag that was starting to get some serious holes in it, for a hopefully more solid variant by Virgin Atlantic. This is not a new Disney endorsement, btw, just practicalities. But I trust Richard Branson would be amused if he only knew.

Travelling Indy has a miniature leather diary on him where he writes down the narrative of each of his travel leg's adventures. The diary is also filled with mementos from all previous participants. There are only a few pages left, so I kept my notes to a bare minimum.

But reading through this is the perfect start to your own Mini Indy adventure. It's astonishing where this little guy has already been. Maybe some day, all this could be scanned and put online.

He has also two additional notebooks on him, one in green and one in red, because Indy loves to scribble... a lot! So there's ample space for future adventures over the next years.

ximgp4585.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3795/ximgp4585.jpg

Last edited:

Archaeos

As I think is tradition, I have added a few items to his diary, but kept it to flat paper stuff, because as we are now shipping Travelling Indy between us using courier express delivery with full-on insurance, every gram and ounce matters to keep shipping costs reasonable, and the package size practical.

I added a Royal Mail LG stamp issued on The Queen's Diamond Jubilee; two souvenirs I received from a colleague at the Turkish archaeological service who kindly granted access to some sites in Turkey hours before they open up to the tourist masses; an architectural note sheet that archaeologists use for school and uni classes, which shows how the ruins once looked in all their glory during Antiquity.

Oh, @Le Saboteur: I also included a gallon of 84-proof Pusser's in the package (no 108-proof here), but the guy who manages Parcel Force Global Priority Express Tracking & Signed-for shipments to the US could not be convinced that the designation - "bath oils" - would wash well with Her Majesty's and US Customs, so he confiscated it "for home use". Sorry, mate!

18232697.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8526/18232697.jpg

Archaeos

Dear me, Inky, you watch out for yourself! This rain right now is seriously biblical. In fact, it has been a true Biblical Rain Year® here in Britain.
If it wouldn't be so serious, it could be part of an adventure/sci-fi movie.

Thanks for the kind words, I will steamroll forward with my posts. Let us know how things go on your side, please!!

Take care, /-Archaeos

InexorableTash

Yay, great to see the little guy's adventures continue.

One note: since the text is embedded in the images it is not searchable. Can you include the raw text (perhaps in a summary post at the end) do it can be indexed and searched upon?

IndyBr

That's some awesome job, it kind of reminds me of what some Jules Verne fans made once, they managed to get around the world a copy of "80 days around the world". But this project is much more ambitious!

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Special thanks to Stoo here, whose support was/is phenomenal. Sorry for the "Funkstille", dear Stoo, I literally havn't read my private email since 6 weeks. Thank the Gods for the search function to fish out all e-mails from you :dead:
No problems and my pleasure, Archaeos.:hat: Loving your first entries! Wonderfully written with a nice nod to Inky hidden amongst the text. I happen to be a fan of Dr. Livingstone which makes page #2 pretty special for me. SUPER job and looking forward to Indy's adventures with you (especially in Turkey)!(y)
IndyBr said:
That's some awesome job, it kind of reminds me of what some Jules Verne fans made once, they managed to get around the world a copy of "80 days around the world". But this project is much more ambitious!
Cool. I'm a fan of Jules Verne as well. (Even brought my copy of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" to the top of the volcano, Stromboli.)

Archaeos

InexorableTash said:
Yay, great to see the little guy's adventures continue.

One note: since the text is embedded in the images it is not searchable. Can you include the raw text (perhaps in a summary post at the end) do it can be indexed and searched upon?

Sure, will do!

PLAIN TEXT FOR #1028

The English oak tree had surely stood there for over a hundred years, the thought to himself, as he was walking through lovely Chipping Barnet. A timeless piece of nature that saw more human doings than most humans who now populated the little village could remember.

(singing)
Row, row, row your boat,
Gentrly down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

(singing) [hmm, not sure why no one picked up that insider reference...]
...The morning will come
when the worlds is mine,
tomorrow belongs...

There was something about the English countryside that disquieted him: it was so pleasant, so lucious, so orderly, with that odd light that only England has. At the same time, the constant humidity and the light chill in the air, even as the sun climbed to its summer zenith, went on his nerves. And it all looked slightly scruffy and untended for. "Luckily, it ain't raining." The thought of a wet fedora on his head was not to his liking.

PLAIN TEXT FOR #1031

Ever since his last memorable adventure on the Great British island, searching with his father for the Spear of Destiny, the English weather had gotten to his inky skin. "As long as it stays dry, this trip will be alright." Indy had travelled to England to catch up with the scientific community (news) and meet friends and colleagues (gossip). Prof Hal Foster, an old friend from his time studying at the University of London, had invited him to stay at this place throughout the London Summer of 2012. "Maybe I'll find time for the Diamond Jubilee, London Olympics and what not..."

And Indy was walking through Hadley Green, the passed by Livingstone Cottage, where David Livingstone had lived after his return from his first transcontinental journey across Africa. Here, in 1857, he resigned from the London Missionary Society, and focused entirely on exploration for the Royal Geographical Society, being appointed as Her Majesty's Consul for the East Coast of Africa. In 1858, he left for his Zambezi Expedition.

Archaeos

Sheet 3

sheet3.jpg

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5448/sheet3.jpg

Leaving Livingstone behind, Indy's thoughts were wandering off: just a short while ago, he had arrived on the steamer "Inky Skin" in London, and had gone to Baker Street and the British Museum. He had then taken the 4.50 from Paddington to get to Elstree, and then travelled to Clouds Hill to meet his old Friend T.E. Lawrence. However, "Lawrence of Arabia" was not in, despite Indy killing some time at Bovington to wait for him. It was typical for Ned to disappear once in a while, but Indy was disappointed that the meeting didn't happen in the end. "He's probably out on his bike again. Well, next time, it'll work out..."

Indy stopped daydreaming: he was now on his way back to London, on board a GNER Scottish Pullman on the "Route of the Flying Scotsman", whisking past Alexandra Palace where the UK's first and last analogue public television broadcasting antenna operated from 1936 to 2012. But as Indy stepped off the train, expecting to see a friendly welcome from his friend Prof Hal Foster...

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?"

Stoo

Archaeos, I like the reference to the Flying Scotsman locomotive (and to T.E. Lawrence, of course).:) Wonderful catch with the Olympic flame. The beauty of it is that, it's not just a location but a moment in time that can't be captured again. Hats off to you!:hat:

I didn't see any of the Track & Field events this year. Did Pegasus compete in the discus throw?:p

Dr. Gonzo

Most impressive... as the olympic flame comes around every so often, and for you to strangely hold an action figure up as it passes is a testament to this strange enterprise. Indy gets around quite quickly. Last time I checked in here, he was in LA.