Secret of the Sphinx

Johan

I enjoyed it...however it's later in the series so if you are planning on reading more Indy novels...it's better to go chronological.

Ohio Jones

Thanks for the reply :D... I know that a lot of books that are part of a series usually still work as a stand alone story, so if I like this one I'll go back and start at the begining.

Thanks again.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ohio Jones said:
Thanks for the reply :D... I know that a lot of books that are part of a series usually still work as a stand alone story, so if I like this one I'll go back and start at the begining.

Thanks again.

That's fair, although in all seriousness, whatever literary merit these books has comes through reading them as a set, in order.

Ohio Jones

Attila the Professor said:
That's fair, although in all seriousness, whatever literary merit these books has comes through reading them as a set, in order.

Wow, they're that dependant on one another, eh? Well, I'm not lacking for reading material at the moment, so maybe I'll hold off reading it until I hunt the rest down.

Thanks again for the replies everyone :D.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ohio Jones said:
Wow, they're that dependant on one another, eh? Well, I'm not lacking for reading material at the moment, so maybe I'll hold off reading it until I hunt the rest down.

Thanks again for the replies everyone :D.

I wouldn't say they're that dependent on them, no, but for them to rise above mere pulp (and I genuinely say they do), there are some subplots carried through the novels and recurring characters that really enhanced my enjoyment of the books when read in order. Since, as you say, you have plenty else to read, I'd go through the trouble of getting them all before starting in on them.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I think this story ventured into territory forbidden by Lucasfilm. My theory's here.

The object never closely examined was the softball-sized carving of the moon. Since earthlings never saw the far side of the moon until 1959, I wonder: was it carved accurately? If so, how?

Ohio Jones

Interesting... I know that properties like 'Star Wars' & 'Star Trek' pump out far more "Expanded universe" than 'Indy' and I always got the sense that they were probably a bit more active in trying to make sure that the books and comics didn't step on any potential future movie projects as well.

When another 'Indy' movie started to appear more likely maybe they pulled in on the reigns.

Blue Jay

Just yesterday i orderd the book on amazon.de
i like the premise. so i will see how it will turn out.

i am really excited :D

pastorgavin

Secret of the Sphinx (spoilers)

Hello,

I'm new here. I've just recently re-watched the Raiders movies and picked up Max McCoy's novels. I remember reading the MacGregor novels when I was in high school and the McCoy ones seem to catch the spirit of the movies in a wonderful way.

But I just finished reading Secret of the Sphinx and I was confused by something (spoilers follow): When Indy lands on the island with the lepers all of a sudden he is different. Through the rest of the book people comment on him looking too old to be himself. He gets nostalgic whenever he talks to or writes to Brody. He writes down a date 25 years too late. He knows that there is going to be a cure for leprosy. He remembers the flying boat as if it were something he had seen in the past. There are a number of other things like this as well.

It seems clear that this is Indy from 25 years in the future or so, coming back in time to set things right or something. And yet this is never explained in the story. Does someone know the story behind this? Is there an explanation for this anywhere? Like I said, I enjoyed the McCoy books very much, but this last one seemed to be going somewhere that it ended up not going. I was left confused and troubled. :confused:

Thanks for your help.

pastorgavin

Thanks, that is helpful.

I am surprised that so much of the idea was left in the story if it is something nobody wanted in it. It is hard to read the sections of the novel that refer to this without thinking that Indy is from the future and yet that is never explained. Obviously, this is not the author's fault, as he was told to leave the time-travel out. But I would think that an editor would have him remove all the parts of the book that so strongly hint at time travel.

As it is, with the book as it is currently written, it feels unfinished, or like an early draft. This is too bad because Max McCoy's other books are so good. And this one is great as well, except that I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the time travel aspect.

Also, did you notice that in one of the interviews it seemed that McCoy referred to Raiders as if it took place first in the trilogy? That seems like quite the gaffe.

Nurhachi1991

Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx

was a freaking awsome book! and it had a crystal skull in it hmmmmmmmmmmm :)

ReggieSnake

Nurhachi1991 said:
was a freaking awsome book! and it had a crystal skull in it hmmmmmmmmmmm :)
It has a Crystal Skull in it? It's the only Indy novel I've read, but the only skull I remember is the skull of the archaeologist they're looking for, which was made into a wine goblet.:dead:

Nurhachi1991

its in the chapter when indy gets back to the collage and he finds a glass jar with the skull in it than he returns it

are you suggesting that i diddnt read it?

Nurhachi1991

yeah faye and mystery and indy go after the staff of Aaorn so they can find the Omega book and find mysterys father but Sokai is on their trail.......... but he gets his just desserts