River's hair

JP Jones

There wasn't much that could save the young Indy sequence, but if River Phoenix's hair was less dreadful I would have liked it a lot better. That was the worst hairdo since the frullet(afro/mullet). Did Indy ever have blond emo-like hair.eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!(n)

Crack that whip

mr.kotcs said:
There wasn't much that could save the young Indy sequence, but if River Phoenix's hair was less dreadful I would have liked it a lot better. That was the worst hairdo since the frullet(afro/mullet). Did Indy ever have blond emo-like hair.eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!(n)

"Save" it? Save it from what?

It's kind of amazing to me now how a lot of ostensible fans seem to dislike the sequence. I'd long considered it one of the highlights of the movie - the whole series, actually - and so did the critics whose reviews I read of the movie back when it opened.

Dewy9

Yes, the hair is VERY irritating. It looks more like something that belongs in George's other series- although most of the men in SW have shaggy or mullett style hair.

The Drifter

I must admit that his hair did look rather retarded. I really cringed when he fell into the lion car and had to part that stringy mop from his eyes. Blech! :sick:

I've never been a fan of that whole opening scene either. It reminded me of the Hardy Boys or some cheesy Disney flick of the 70s.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
It's kind of amazing to me now how a lot of ostensible fans seem to dislike the sequence.
Every so often, this topic is raised and while I used to be amazed, after 4 years at The Raven it surprises me no longer. (Harrison is NOT in it so it CAN'T be good!:p)

What some may not realize is that River's hair is an exaggerated version of a period style where the front bangs are meant to be combed neatly to the side. The bangs fall onto his face because Indy is a rough & tumble kid and they're unusually long because that was a popular hairstyle in the late '80s (the skater/skateboarder cut). Simple as that.

The blonde colour: Mr.KOTCS, have you ever heard of light brown hair turning slightly blonde during the summer? It used to happen to me all the time.:)

Forbidden Eye

Sean Patrick Flanery's hair was like that in the YIC as well.

Considering the Jones family seems to be a military family it seems hard to believe he'd ever let it that long.

Jorbex

That sequence is one of my favorite parts of the whole Indy saga. (y)
Forbidden Eye said:
Considering the Jones family seems to be a military family it seems hard to believe he'd ever let it that long.
Military family? What do you mean by that? :confused:

Saber79

Jorbex said:
That sequence is one of my favorite parts of the whole Indy saga. (y)
Military family? What do you mean by that? :confused:

Probably means that his family traveled around a lot sorta like Army brats do.

Forbidden Eye

Jorbex said:
And thus they cut their hair short? That's quite a stretch.

Indy served in WWI(at least, thats what the YIJ Chronicles wants to make us believe) so its unrealistic he still have that long hair.

The Drifter

Forbidden Eye said:
Indy served in WWI(at least, thats what the YIJ Chronicles wants to make us believe) so its unrealistic he still have that long hair.

Yeah, but during the beginning of Last Crusade he was not even in the military yet. So he had no reason for his hair to be short.

Jorbex

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Yeah, but during the beginning of Last Crusade he was not even in the military yet. So he had no reason for his hair to be short.
That's right; the prologue to Last Crusade takes place in 1912, when Indy was thirteen years old. World War I began in 1914.

Jorbex said:
That's right; the prologue to Last Crusade takes place in 1912, when Indy was thirteen years old. World War I began in 1914.

...and wouldn't likely be living with his father and still in the Boy Scouts.

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
Isn't all that Sean Flannery stuff after Phoenix?

I really don't know. I've never seen any of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. But, I have read the time-line. I was asking because I think he joined with Pancho Villa right after he left home.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I really don't know. I've never seen any of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. But, I have read the time-line. I was asking because I think he joined with Pancho Villa right after he left home.

It wa after that he went over seas and ultimately to war

Way of the dodo

There were all kinds of weird haircuts back then. Indy's is perfectly normal. But usually in old pictures you see it all loaded up and sculpted with greasy Dapper Dan or whatever.

The Drifter

Way of the dodo said:
There were all kinds of weird haircuts back then. Indy's is perfectly normal. But usually in old pictures you see it all loaded up and sculpted with greasy Dapper Dan or whatever.

"I don't want Fop! I'm a Dapper Dan man, dammit!"

Crack that whip

Hee, hee! That's another great movie. :D (y)

Yes, the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade prologue with River Phoenix takes place in 1912, when Indy's thirteen. Sean Patrick Flanery's episodes as a young Indy all take place from 1916 to 1920. In the show, in February 1916 he and his dad are back in Princeton, where Indy's finishing up high school; they go visit family out west the next month, and Indy's cousin Frank takes him down to the border for some shenanigans, and Indy winds up first kidnapped by and then joining Pancho Villa's forces, a few months before he (Indy) turns 17. It's there that he meets Remy Baudoin for the first time, and the two of them realize Villa's fight is not their own, while the war in Europe very much is (at least for Remy, and Indy decides that fight is simply too important to lose, and winds up joining Remy when Remy decides to leave Villa's army and join the Belgian army back home).