The Nostalgia Factor

Which film do you have the most nostalgia for?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Temple of Doom

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Last Crusade

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

JP Jones

Nostalgia is a funny thing. That warm feeling you get when you see something from your past is hard to explain. I have a great deal of nostalgia for the Indiana Jones series, and I'm sure most people here do as well.

What I'm wondering is which film gives you the best feeling? Which film do you have the most Nostalgia for and why?

martinland

JP Jones said:
What I'm wondering is which film gives you the best feeling? Which film do you have the most Nostalgia for and why?
Temple of Doom, definitely.

When I hear Williams' rendition of Porter's 'Anything Goes', beginning with the orchestral crescendo and followed by this crazy dance number, shot in glorious old movie style, it still gives me goose bumps: Adventure and fun are here again, hurray! :whip:

ML

Montana Smith

Temple of Doom, too. Don't really know why, but it might be because it confirmed to me that Indy was suddenly something much bigger. Until then he was just a single movie and novelization. Also, the fact that TOD was a prequel added to the mystery of Indy, and I wanted to know more.

I remember there were TOD themed breakfast cereal boxes, and I still have a set of wipe clean puzzle cards that came with them.

JP Jones

In my case, ToD was the first Indy movie I saw. I was just so captivated by the sense of adventure in every frame. Short Round and his theme just make for the most fun adventurous romp there is. It help that I was a little kid too. ToD just sticks with me for some reason and everytime I see it, I'm a kid again, living the adventure.

Forbidden Eye

Great question! I'm actually nostalgic towards all of them!

Temple of Doom was the first one I saw, so I'm nostalgic in that way. On the other hands, Raiders of the Lost Ark was the one the Disneyland ride was most derivative from, and that ride was my first experience with Indy, so that brought me the most joy that way. Last Crusade I didn't see until a year or two latter, but I watched that a lot and was most fresh in my mind when the trilogy was coming to DVD. I'm even somewhat nostalgic to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull(even if its just two years old). It was the first time I saw an Indy film in theaters and it made me feel like a kid. Plus it does give me nostalgic thoughts of the anticipation as well.

I'll vote Raiders, just for the fact it holds up better than all of the others(Temple is a close 2nd).

Those who know me may find this shocking--

Despite it being my least favorite, that solitary vote for Last Crusade is mine.

And it's not that it gives me the "best feeling," as the OP put it. But it is the film I saw first and the one that started my obsession with the franchise. Despite my displeasure with it as an older, more objective viewer, I can't help but think upon it fondly.

The_Raiders

Temple of Doom. Don't get me wrong I love it as much as the others but it's not my favorite. But I voted for it because of an event in my past. We had some family issues afew years back that required me to move from Alaska back to Texas, and it'd be the first time for me leaving to another state on my own, and I remember the night before I left I watched TOD and when I saw Indy and Shorty and Wille getting on Lao Che's plan and taking off in the sunset, it just gave me some comfort and peace about my departure the next day despite the current circumstances. :hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Count me as another vote for Last Crusade. The earliest Indy memory I'm certain of is seeing the tank chase, but what really cements this as my choice is all those hours I spent playing the graphic adventure or reading the novelization, things I could not do with the other two films.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Last Crusade for me too. Better film...raiders, only by an edge. It's 'simpler'. But ALL the elements George and Steven hoped for, including obligatory camp, was in Last Crusade. It, to me is the perfect film. If there was a directors cut that included a hint more of Noir for Last Crusade, it would have won an Oscar.

StoneTriple

Raiders all the way. I was just a 20-year-old kid sitting in the theater the summer of 1981, about to go on the adventure of a life time, with the coolest hero around. That's a very fond memory. My preference these days is for Kingdom because it fits me better (as did Raiders when I was a kid) but watching Raiders in the theater in 1981 (many times) was an awesome way to to jump on board and I'm instantly transported back to a simpler life every time I watch it.

Finn

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
Count me as another vote for Last Crusade.
Pale Horse said:
Last Crusade for me too.
Have to go with my fellow mods here.

Like the Prof, it was the experience that took away my 'Indy virginity' (though it wasn't what made me a die-hard fan, that happened with a certain later video game). I was perhaps eight or nine, recall reading the local newspaper TV guide and picking up the movie coming that night. I asked my dad if I could watch it despite it airing way past my bedtime. Well, the answer was 'no', but luckily he suggested he'd tape it so I could watch it the next day.

Likely a good call, since I recall being a tad freaked out by Donovan's demise... it's something that gives me a decent chuckle when watching the scene now, as a fully-grown being (at least physically, that is).

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Likely a good call, since I recall being a tad freaked out by Donovan's demise... it's something that gives me a decent chuckle when watching the scene now, as a fully-grown being (at least physically, that is).

"Never grow up". That'd be my motto...if I had a motto.

That's what my nostalgia for Indy (and Star Wars and Planet of the Apes) is for me. These movies have a powerful effect, working at different levels. The basest level was the thrill and imagination they conjured up, and they never fail to take me back to that world of imagination. It's why I've always been a collector of toys.

As a kid there weren't many Indiana Jones figures around, so all manner of Star Wars and Action Force figures had to stand in for my favourite characters. That world still has a powerful hold over me, and now as an adult (in name only!) I own the Indy figures I wished they would have made when I was a kid.

Temple of Doom was the film that expanded the world of Indy for me, and therefore really sparked my imagination and interest in the 1930s, and hence is the one that I feel most nostalgia for.

Stoo

StoneTriple said:
Raiders all the way. I was just a 20-year-old kid sitting in the theater the summer of 1981, about to go on the adventure of a life time, with the coolest hero around. That's a very fond memory.
Same here except I was 6 years younger than you. I still remember when my friend's brother came home raving about the movie and the two of us went to see it the very next night. Good times!:D

Junior Jones

What, no voting option for those nostalgic about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Actually, I am going off the board but not in that direction. My vote is for Curse of the Jackal. Egypt and Mexico. That episode/movie takes me back more than any of the theatrical films. That's what first got me excited about Indiana Jones.

StoneTriple

JP Jones said:
"So what are you, 80?" :)

Ouch

Ouch-1.jpg

;)

JP Jones

Does anyone ever feel the time, place, and format you saw the movies on first effect your nostalgia for them?

I know I saw LC on VHS with my cousin who is a casual Indy fan and I can't help but feel like had I seen it alone on a pc I would have no nostalgia towards it.

What nostalgia I have concerns the end of Raiders how it was one of the first films that the ending was unexpected and conflicted. So satisfied with so much, so entertained but the disposition of the Ark! The movie left me feeling like Indy walking down the steps.

An amazing adventure, (I had it in my hands) but now that it's over...it's over.

Major Eaton

JP Jones said:
Does anyone ever feel the time, place, and format you saw the movies on first effect your nostalgia for them?

Absolutely. :whip:

I remember watching the Raiders VHS for the first time at a birthday party when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I sat and watched with my jaw dropped to the floor the whole movie. :D I watched Temple of Doom not long after it came out on video as well. I still remember these times quite clearly. Interestingly enough, Last Crusade was the first Indy movie I saw in theatres. My mom took my brother, myself, and all our friends to see it on release night. I remember it being a sold out show and we were all floored by the movie. Everyone was cheering and clapping in the theatre. It was insanely awesome. I bought the official movie poster the next day and it stayed on my wall for years. That's some of my nostalgia.

Mickiana

Raiders on the big screen when it was first released in 1981 and I was 13. What a ride! I was almost standing up and yelling "Run faster!" at the boulder scene. For me it was a transformative movie.