"That's So Gay" Is a Dangerous Thing to Say

AngieAki

Saying "that's gay" is saying that something is wrong with being gay. I am usually not all *****y about political correctness but as people kill themselves or are killed everyday because they are gay, it is dangerous to use such a term.

sunshinestate1992

as long as you say gay as stupid or happy

not as homosexual cuase theres nothing wrong with that its ur choice

and dont say fag or faggot

no one uses as it as a smoke anymore

monkey

Gay people shouldn't worry about the expression: "That's so Gay".

Neither should people insult or try to marginalize Gay people.

One of my pet peeves is anti-gay hatred.

I don't like it.

I have friends who are Gay.

From the beginning of time there have been Gay people. There will always be Gay people. They are your brothers and sisters. You can hate them if you want, but it is stupid and counterproductive to do so.

To the flamboyant Gay person I would say: put away your tu-tu, and don't march in the parade.

To the Gay hater I would say: shut up and get used to it. They're here, they're queer, and their not going to disappear.

Personally, I wish there were more Gay men in the world, because that would mean more girls for me.

AngieAki said:
A discussion with a friend.

It would have been better left between the two of you.

Nothing more annoying than self-righteous commentary. You won't change anything complaining on a message board.

Words are just a jumble of letters and only have the connotation people give them. Most people aren't connoting some derogatory sentiment with the use of the word "gay."

Hell, I don't typically use the term; it sounds base. But a message board isn't the place to spout out politically correct hogwash. It just comes off as smug superiority.

No Ticket

This thread is gay.

I have friends who are gay, and they use the expression themselves. It doesn't bother them. And their opinion is, any homosexuals it does bother should just get over it. It's just a slang term, completely unrelated to being gay. Which gay also means happy anyway.

It's the equivalent of "lame." Half the time when it's used, it's connection to homosexuality isn't even there.

barranca

salussolia said:
as long as you say gay as stupid or happy

Let gay people decide what they take offence at, Its like saying oh 'black people shouldn't take offence at...' the general public have NO right to decide what others take offence at. Especially people who have been marginalised by society and are JUST starting to fet a little respect back.

barranca

monkey said:
Gay people shouldn't worry about the expression: "That's so Gay.
And having 'gay friends' dosen't put you in a position to judge or to start to have a clue what their experience is like or to speak for them.

sunshinestate1992

barranca said:
Let gay people decide what they take offence at, Its like saying oh 'black people shouldn't take offence at...' the general public have NO right to decide what others take offence at. Especially people who have been marginalised by society and are JUST starting to fet a little respect back.
i was kidding.

Gear

Yeah, I agree with No Ticket. I have gay friends who use "gay" as a slang but it doesnt mean their gay haters. I use the word "retarded" as a slang sometimes however I dont mean it to hurt people. I try not to use "gay" in the same context but sometimes it just comes out. An' you know me Angie I dont have a problem with gays , lesbians, bi's, retards, ect.

Hey, just be like Cartmen; instead of using "thats gay!" or "Youre such a retard!" say: "AWWW!! THATS ****!"

;)

monkey

barranca said:
And having 'gay friends' dosen't put you in a position to judge or to start to have a clue what their experience is like or to speak for them.

I don't judge. I simply say that Gay people should not worry about the expression "That's so Gay".

That's it. It's that simple.

I speak for one person, ...MYSELF.

Whether I have Gay friends or not doesn't mean anything. I still say what I say.

Maybe you shouldn't judge me.

barranca

gear guardian said:
An' you know me Angie I dont have a problem with gays , lesbians, bi's, retards, ect

I sincerely hope your joking,when you use those terms and even if you are its in incredibly POOR taste

Gear

barranca said:
I sincerely hope your joking,when you use those terms and even if you are its in incredibly POOR taste

Barranca, I understand where your coming from. Basic respect and comon curtacy are things everyone deserves but being overly politicaly correct is just rediculious. People are so easily offended and often times by things they shouldn't be over. People should just practice using specific words when the time is right; there's a time and a place for everything. If I'm with my friends and happen to use a slang 99% of the time they'll know I'm just joking especialy the ones I've known the longest or know the best.

What is the "poor taste" your referring to? Alright, mentaly retarded people. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I thought I made that clear.

Anyway, I think those and other slangs are best used in friendly company. I can understand how outside people would be offended. I guess the lesson is be careful of your words.

barranca

I hate overkill with pc'ness too, but one has to realise that if anyone is going to gain respect,then that sort of language has to end. I'm sure you wouldn't use some of the more 'colourful' terms to describe various ethnic minorities or religious groups.
And in the same vein, these and other 'gay' terms have to be disposed of too. The 'majority' out there in this world I know are feeling marginalised themselves, with all the minority groups gradually gaining more rights. It makes them feel like their loosing theirs.
Things will I believe balance out eventually, but for now there needs to be an 'Armistice' of sorts with these terms. So a new generation can grow up unfamiliar with them and be not inclined to use them.

Gear

I agree and thats why I say that there best to be used in friendly company-not in polite society.