The Many Hats of Harrison Ford

Goodeknight

So, while posting in the "Before he was Indy or Han..." thread, I realized Harrison Ford has worn hats in many of his roles.

Remember, the cowboy hat for Bob Falfa was Ford's idea.

HarrisonAG.jpg

All the way up to Cowboys and Aliens
Mean_Old_White_Man.jpg

So, for what it's worth, post your pics of Harrison sporting a hat (in film or real life) here...

Stoo

Back in the early '80s, I remember reading in "Starlog" magazine that Ridley Scott wanted Harrison to wear a fedora in "Blade Runner" but the idea was canned because it would have been too similiar to Indiana Jones.

Alex

It's been a long standing dream of mine to make a modern day Bob Falfa mobile. Not to get too car technical on you guys but it would look a little more modern, not gasser style, sport the same hood scoop, non cut rear wheel wells, and the wildest LSX engine I could afford under the hood. :D

Ok....back on track.

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Back in the early '80s, I remember reading in "Starlog" magazine that Ridley Scott wanted Harrison to wear a fedora in "Blade Runner" but the idea was canned because it would have been too similiar to Indiana Jones.

I have a vintage magazine article from back in the day (either the actual Blade Runner souvenir magazine, or an issue of Starlog; I forget which, but I'll check) with an interview mentioning that, and the pictures alongside the article include a Blade Runner storyboard showing Deckard with the fedora, looking very much like '30s Indy plunked down in 2019 Los Angeles. I'll have to see if I can get a scan (or find it already online somewhere)...

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
I have a vintage magazine article from back in the day (either the actual Blade Runner souvenir magazine, or an issue of Starlog; I forget which, but I'll check)...
If it was in a "Starlog" issue before 1984 then I have it (in storage right now) but I don't recall seeing that picture. Would be nice to see it, if you find it, Crack.:)
goodeknight said:
Remember, the cowboy hat for Bob Falfa was Ford's idea.
Yes. In the 1993 documentary, "George Lucas: Heroes, Myths & Magic", Harrison* talks about that:

Harrison Ford: "When he came to me, uh, with the part in American Graffiti, he saw the character that I play, Bob - Bob Falfa, as having a crew cut...uh, to distinguish him from the other characters. And after we talked about it for a little bit I, uh, I - and I was in no mood to get a crew cut at that, y'know, that was 'long hair' time...back then and I knew that if I got a crew cut I wouldn't work again for 6 months...while it grew out. So I suggested, instead, the white cowboy hat which Bob Falfa does wear. Because he accomodated and let me have the white hat, I had a sense of a character distinct from the other characters."

*On the set of, "Mystery of the Blues", in his 1950 Indy costume!(y)

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
If it was in a "Starlog" issue before 1984 then I have it (in storage right now) but I don't recall seeing that picture. Would be nice to see it, if you find it, Crack.:)
Yes. In the 1993 documentary, "George Lucas: Heroes, Myths & Magic", Harrison* talks about that:

Harrison Ford: "When he came to me, uh, with the part in American Graffiti, he saw the character that I play, Bob - Bob Falfa, as having a crew cut...uh, to distinguish him from the other characters. And after we talked about it for a little bit I, uh, I - and I was in no mood to get a crew cut at that, y'know, that was 'long hair' time...back then and I knew that if I got a crew cut I wouldn't work again for 6 months...while it grew out. So I suggested, instead, the white cowboy hat which Bob Falfa does wear. Because he accomodated and let me have the white hat, I had a sense of a character distinct from the other characters."

*On the set of, "Mystery of the Blues", in his 1950 Indy costume!(y)

Coolest part of that note, Stoo, is the asterisk. HF interview while on the Mystery of the Blues set! Awesome.

Goodeknight

Mosquito Coast...a GREAT Ford film (and Phoenix film!)!

600full-the-mosquito-coast-.jpg

And who else could possibly look so cool in an Amish straw hat?
harrison-ford.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Harrison witha fedora again...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6hww-Xxbud0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't even know it was him until the end.

It is him right?