Things you only noticed this week on the BIG screens

Eric Solo

Imax

HenryJunior said:
The little bead of sweat? Yeah little things like that we're much sharper in IMAX, but I think it was visible before. That canyon was filmed in Tunisia during late summer, so I believe that was just natural sweat.

I thought that scene was filmed in Death Valley, California in the same canyon where they filmed the R2-D2 vs. jawa scene. Right?

russds

Eric Solo said:
I thought that scene was filmed in Death Valley, California in the same canyon where they filmed the R2-D2 vs. jawa scene. Right?

Same scene as R2-D2 yes, but Death Valley CA no. Both were shot in Tunisia from what I've read.

Eric Solo

Imax

I could be wrong, but when I watched Raiders in IMAX, I think I saw a brief shot during the hike to the Chachapoyan temple where the top of Indy's hat was deformed and had a big lump in it. Anyone else notice that.

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
What do you mean by 80's set pieces? I cant get enough of Norman Reynolds style!
I'm not saying I disliked it. I love the style. It just seemed more obvious on that size screen that the sets were built -- the set dressings like the moss and the vines were laid out just so, and things were sprayed down for the right moist jungle feel...in an 80s kind of way.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_4.jpg

Raiders%20of%20the%20Lost%20Ark-0022-20110727-73.jpg

Eric Solo

Imax

I regret to report that there were only 5 people in the audience when I watched Raiders in IMAX at 7:15pm last night. (includind my date and me).(n)

Goodeknight

Eric Solo said:
I regret to report that there were only 5 people in the audience when I watched Raiders in IMAX at 7:15pm last night. (includind my date and me).(n)

Wow, even with low numbers nationwide that's especially disappointing. Eric, you were just about Solo.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Eric Solo said:

Brownchicken Browncow

FedoraHead

Never noticed that until IMAX

Saw Raiders in IMAX I was shocked that I picked up some small things I never seen before. One, when Belloq with talking to Toth outside the tents his forehead is really shinny. It always made me wonder why. It looks plastic. I could never tell until now the he has googles pushed up on his forehead.
After the map room Indy is looking for the Well of the soul. He looks at one rock and I notice this time it was a tower or column with marks on it. I thought it was just a rock

Anyone else notice anything

FedoraHead said:
After the map room Indy is looking for the Well of the soul. He looks at one rock and I notice this time it was a tower or column with marks on it. I thought it was just a rock

I noticed an oblisk too...with carvings as they walked the digs. There's also the flying wing off in the distance under some camo as Indy drops into the Map Room for the first time.

There a book on Indy's desk which says plainly on the spine: "ARCHAEOLOGY".

Lots of flies...all over the place.

There's also a second stencil on the Ark crate at the end to the far left which reads: US GOV.

I think it might say property of...

HenryJunior

I opened a thread relating to Belloq's Goggles, last weekend for the first time I actually noticed Belloq is wearing them when he comes into the tent to untie Marion.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
There's also the flying wing off in the distance under some camo as Indy drops into the Map Room for the first time.
Yeah, I first noticed that back when the DVDs came out. The covered Flying Wing is also in the very, 1st shot of the Tanis digsite which also contains something else which I didn't see before the IMAX screening; The famous TRUCK from the desert chase can be seen driving towards the Wing.

Some new sounds were noticeable but I'll start with visuals:

- Colourful pattern on Barranca's hat
- Drawing of the Chachapoyan idol on the wall in Indy's classroom!(y)
- Pilots moving in the cockpit of the Pan-Am clipper
- A street sign pointing the way to Hotel & Restaurant Marhala (which is probably next to the Marhala Bar)
- The Imam gets his kitchen dishes cleaned with Rinso laundry detergent!:D
- The truck in the 1st shot of the Tanis digsite
- Fly on Indy's nose in tent with Marion
- Belloq may have a record player, too.
- A group of film crew members sitting & standing in the background at Tanis!!!:eek:
- The word, 'LARGE', written on Indy's glove (this is for the screen-accurate gear guys)!;)
- Belloq tosses a stone at Indy in the Well of Souls

More later...

Goodeknight

HenryJunior said:
I opened a thread relating to Belloq's Goggles, last weekend for the first time I actually noticed Belloq is wearing them when he comes into the tent to untie Marion.
I remember the thread, and I noticed the same thing tonight.

So who else went to the marathon and kept pen and paper handy to take notes??

I did, so....
I wish I had the time to pull screen grabs for all of this, but today I noticed:

* Belloq's "family label" is in Arabic.
* In the Chacapoyan Temple, at the first hint of tarantula music, before we really see them, you can see just one silhouetted on Indy's back.
* My 10-year-old son caught this: When Marion defends herself with a frying pan -- her attacker holds the knife with the blade up. Then it cuts to his hand with the blade down, then back to another shot from the front and the blade is up again.
* During the basket chase, Indy runs past a group of guys sitting on the ground, including a guy in the foreground who appears to be blind. A moment later, the blind guy is among the beggars when Indy tosses some change to get rid of them. (I assume the rest of the beggars were the other guys he just passed.)
* In the Well of Souls, Indy caresses the stone case holding the ark in bliss, but Sallah has a look of concern on his face about what they're about to reveal/unleash.
* Unless it's a different loading zone, the first shot of the flying wing doesn't appear to have any small temples or hills near it, though that's how we see it from Indy's perspective when he and Marion escape the Well. (I'd have to check the DVD for more confirmation on that one.)
* I never noticed the soldier actually stenciling the Ark crate before it gets loaded onto the flying wing.
* When Indy tries to board the flying wing, the first little soldier yells at him to come down. But his lips aren't moving.
* Indy's bag switches sides a few times as he rides after the Ark.
* I never realized "Meet me at Omar's" meant "Omar's Garage." Never saw the sign before, but wondered who the heck Omar was.
* Never noticed Wu Han had a really fresh cut on his forehead at Club Obi Wan.
* Shorty pulls a knife out in the spike room. Never realized he was packing a weapon.
* While the outside Thugee statue sport finger necklaces, the big Thugee statue inside sports a necklace made from entire arms.
* When they board the mine cart, there's a 6' beam inside, that shrinks to about 4' a minute later.
* When the water is rushing thru the tunnel, it pushes an oil barrel or something ahead of it. The same shot is used as a greenscreen background when Indy and Co. are running from the water a moment later.
* The face on the sarcophagus at Castle Grumvault (?) bears a striking resemblance to the butler himself.
* In the book burning scene, you can clearly see a metal grate mound beneath a top layer of books. To me it looks like pyrotechnicians built the grate, and then added a few books on top.
* In the zeppelin, Henry Sr.'s newspaper is upside down.
* On their getaway plane, Indy draws his pistol and shoots at the other planes as his dad mans the machinegun. It's seemingly nonstop action until they're on the beach, then suddenly he grabs his pistol and it's completely empty, not even spent cartridges.
* Looks like Indy has knee pads under his officer's pinks after he survives the tank fight.
* The Grail Knight has a shield just like his bro's resting against the wall near the entrance to the Grail room.
* In Crystal Skull, right when we get to Indy's house we see the father/son pic from LC. (I would have also liked to see his dad's grail paintings on the wall. Would have been a nice touch.)
* When we watch the map of his flight, the tail number on the Nazca plane is backwards.

Okay, that just about covers it. Without confirming with DVDs, I won't say all of those are guaranteed accurate. And perhaps many or all of them are things people already know. Maybe they're so inconsequential nobody cares. But they caught my attention for the first time today.

GREAT DAY!!!

InexorableTash

In Raiders: The decoration on the wall behind the entrance to the Idol Room. Gold plate hanging on a wooden grid.

But my big take-away from the marathon: Short Round is the star of TOD. Tha audience cheered when he came on screen, he had most of the good lines, and kicked serious butt in the fights. I'm not used to actually *watching* the movie!