My Indy 4 script.

gear01

In my defense.

Ok, I admit my initial post sounds a little creepy, but I was always extremely courteous and professional. I was very apologetic to Ms. McQueeney and never did pitch my idea to her, I was trying to fax her office with an inquiry letter and it happened to be late at night.
The point I was trying to make with this tread is that no matter how hard you try and how smart you think you might be, for me and a lot of other people with good intentions about shaping the next Indy film, we didn’t make a dent.

Would I do it again? Let’s just see how the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull does at the box office. I might be able to muster up an Indy 5............. Let the restraining orders commence!

Darth Bork

Give him some credit. It's people like him who get far in life, if you don't grab life by the balls to achieve the "impossible", then it'll just be, well, impossible.

So well done for at least trying Gear! (y)

A_True_Believer

Finn said:
I've a word for you, friend: paragraphs.

Um...he did use paragraphs. An extra space would have helped between each one, but they are there.

That was a pretty curt response, Finn, to someone who is so passionate about their idea.

The Man

Why not post your script here and allow our juicy, discerning brains assimilate it? Why let it go to utter waste?

sunshinestate1992

gear01 said:
Once upon a time, a little over 4 and ½ years ago I thought I would put to paper my ideas for the next Indiana Jones Adventure. I was between jobs and I had a small window of time to see just how far I could take the story that had been building in my head for some time. I would set out to do the impossible.
And frankly I failed. It wasn?t from the lack of trying. I tried every angle. I pleaded with at least 20 Hollywood agents, with always the same response, ?everyone knows George Lucas comes up with the ideas.? I became a super sleuth of finding phone numbers, email addresses, and locations. I got Karen Allen?s agent to accept the script, I?m sure even before she new Marion Ravenwood was being written into Frank Darabont?s version. I contacted Frank Darbont?s production office to say ?hey, steal my ideas please.? I thought I was a shoe in for an assistant to an assistant job at the Kennedy Marshall Company but the son of Frank?s friend got the job. I later emailed a pdf file of my synopsis to Frank Marshall personally and shortly after received a fully printed version by certified mail from his attorney asking me not to send anymore material. I drove by Spielberg?s home security fortress several times, just hoping to catch him out mowing the lawn, the bold sign on the hedge clearly stated ?Do not throw paper material of any kind over the fence!? I once woke up the late Patricia McQueeney, Harrison Ford?s long time agent and publicist in the middle of the night and she was supremely pissed off, I didn?t know she would pick up the fax line.
At the same time I started a thread on this very same Raven Message Boards. People seemed to be genuinely impressed and I began posting excerpts from my story. Momentum was building, then came the news that Frank Darabont?s script had been rejected and Lucas was looking for a new writer, could this be my big break?
It was at that point The Raven Message Boards crashed and were down for what seemed like months, when it came back I couldn?t find the previous thread anymore, and to my disappointment David Koepp had been hired to resume writing, it was also at that time when my unemployment ran out and I was in need of a new job or two, especially with another baby on the way.
So I?ve sat back and watched and waited these past 4 years, secretly hoping the movie would fail so if for no other reason I could make public my story of what the last Indy film could have been. I also held on to the idea that depending on how the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull played out, maybe my story had a chance as Indy 5!
Well, as I have learned No Way. You see, my Marion Ravenwood had a daughter, a sassy, tough as nails, spitfire. And Sean Connery who will soon be proclaimed dead in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, lived on in my story to fight his way though almost half of the movie, and the McGuffin was not some puny little crystal skull, but it was the whole damn flying saucer that the Russians were trying to grab. Sallah met his maker, Willie Scott got her nightclub trashed in East Berlin, Atlantis was discovered, and throw in Joseph Stalin and Howard Hughes for good measure. I thought the fans would love it.
But wait, maybe there?s hope, instead of Henry Jones Senior and Indy inadvertently driving a trash truck through the middle of a May Day Moscow military parade, it could be Mutt and Indy in there next ?excellent adventure?. hmmm, I?ll have to think about that one.
I guess I?ll wait and see how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull actually plays out.

Following is the long lost forum thread.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5632
Have you posted it that sounds SO AWESSOME!!!:) :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
gear01 said:
I pleaded with at least 20 Hollywood agents, with always the same response, “everyone knows George Lucas comes up with the ideas.” I became a super sleuth of finding phone numbers, email addresses, and locations. I got Karen Allen’s agent to accept the script, I’m sure even before she new Marion Ravenwood was being written into Frank Darabont’s version. I contacted Frank Darbont’s production office to say “hey, steal my ideas please.” I thought I was a shoe in for an assistant to an assistant job at the Kennedy Marshall Company but the son of Frank’s friend got the job. I later emailed a pdf file of my synopsis to Frank Marshall personally and shortly after received a fully printed version by certified mail from his attorney asking me not to send anymore material. I drove by Spielberg’s home security fortress several times, just hoping to catch him out mowing the lawn, the bold sign on the hedge clearly stated “Do not throw paper material of any kind over the fence!” I once woke up the late Patricia McQueeney, Harrison Ford’s long time agent and publicist in the middle of the night and she was supremely pissed off, I didn’t know she would pick up the fax line.
I bet the Star Wars creators get this, tenfold.
Gear, this is an interesting account. I know how it feels to be protective of someone else's franchise. But whenever they released a lousy Indy book or comic, after being annoyed, there was the thrill that I could have done better. Have you ever considered that Lucas stole from Edgar Rice Burroughs and others? Consider working your plot around characters of your own creation. You'll have to do a little more than change the names. Fan fiction has its place, but it won't get you paid.

(Threads merged and moved to fan fiction.)

gear01

Thank You So Much

ResidentAlien said:
No he didn't. He did AFTER Finn mentioned it to him. Look again--the post was edited.

A_True_Believer said:
Ah, so he did. So much for my attempt at sticking up for the little guy. :p

When I pasted my post from word, somehow the formating changed, I noticed it right away, but was called away and it took a few minutes to fix it.

But thanks so much for making such a big deal about it, the whole point of my post was to see if the paragraph police were paying attention.

NamedAfterDaDog

Well, I just read the entire thread in the last half hour and I thought, G01, that the story was remarkably brilliant.
And you tried hard, harder than I would ever have even thought of imagining of thinking of doing. And I certainly respect that, and anyone who hears your story will respect that. It's just that classic line (coughwhichijustmadeupcough) - Show Biz is hell.

So there you have it. Just be a good fan, watch KotCS, and be satisfied with your valiant attempts. Heck, the most I've ever written is a 50+ page Mafia story, which was lost from me when Microsoft Word "suddenly quit", and I didn't save since the first page.
Grr.
But still, you're a hard worker and a true Indyfan, so you should be proud of that.
*applause for gear01*

gear01

Thanks for your kind words.

NamedAfterDaDog said:
Well, I just read the entire thread in the last half hour and I thought.......................

Thanks so much. I appreciate you taking the time to read the thread. I do hope KotCS is great! I'm not bitter, I'd be mad at myself if I hadn't tried.

Sorry to hear about your MS Word mishap.

After the premiere excitement settles down later this summer I plan to post my story in the fan fiction section. Until then I'm going to post a few rough scene sketches to hopefully spark some feedback.

Thanks again!

gear01

Indiana Jones and the New World

This uncompleted art started as a rough pencil sketch with a lot of photoshop overlays.

The scene depicts the part in the story where the Red Army finally grows tired of the relentless Dr. Jones and offers him up for sacrifice to the gods.

Indytiesup2.jpg

eroc

gear01 said:
Once upon a time...I became a super sleuth of finding phone numbers, email addresses, and locations. I got Karen Allen’s agent to accept the script, I’m sure even before she new Marion Ravenwood was being written into Frank Darabont’s version. I contacted Frank Darbont’s production office to say “hey, steal my ideas please.” I thought I was a shoe in for an assistant to an assistant job at the Kennedy Marshall Company but the son of Frank’s friend got the job. I later emailed a pdf file of my synopsis to Frank Marshall personally and shortly after received a fully printed version by certified mail from his attorney asking me not to send anymore material. I drove by Spielberg’s home security fortress several times, just hoping to catch him out mowing the lawn, the bold sign on the hedge clearly stated “Do not throw paper material of any kind over the fence!” I once woke up the late Patricia McQueeney, Harrison Ford’s long time agent and publicist in the middle of the night and she was supremely pissed off

Dude, you are a stalker!!!!! Hahaha. just kidding.

gear01

eroc said:
Dude, you are a stalker!!!!! Hahaha. just kidding.

Let's not forget, Steven Spielberg snuck on to the Universal lot and trespassed for months until he was offered a job. (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Gear, don't give up hope for a Stalin cameo after Indy 4. He lay preserved and in state next to Lenin on Red Square from 1953 - 1961. Think Weekend at Bernie's.

Also, I know you have your heart set on a cinematic adaptation, but there are also the novel or comic book options. Though I suspect the submission results would be more or less the same.

Last edited:

gear01

More scene sketches.

Indiana Jones and the New World
Here are some rough sketches from the scene notebook I created while working on the story for my Indy adventure. Even though the art is crude, I hope people can get a sense of the action.

saucerarkpage.jpg

In case there is some confusion, the above sketchpad references two scenes from opposite parts of the story. The top sketch is a wide shot from the pic I posted a few days ago. The bottom portion is from the opening action sequence.

Roswell.jpg

Just another day in Roswell, New Mexico.

runawaytrain.jpg

Runaway Train, Tunnel of Doom!

IndyMoscow.jpg

Moscow Military Parade, Party Crashers!