G.I. Joe

Deckard

fixer79 said:
God, I hope this film won't be a complete disaster... :eek:

I haven't even the slightest doubt this will be the worst transition to a film in cinema history.

The casting is beyond any vastage of even oridanary insanity and anything i've seen so far with the exeption of snake eyes looks downright retarded.

Unfortunately they took liberties with his back story and completely changed his character along with several others, so any small hope this movie had in at least having a cool character are also already out the door.

I'll be genuinely, no sh!t surprised if this turns out even a percentage as entertaining as say, Hot Shots : Part Deluxe.

fixer79

You're both right of course...
All fingers seem to point towards a complete disaster...

Still... There are a few things about G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra that give me a slight feeling of reassurance...

The first one is Stephen Sommers. He did direct the first two Mummy movies which I really liked...
And unless I'm mistaken he never really directed a complete disaster... I doubt he would allow this thing to be his first.
It's not like the movie's gonna be directed by Uwe Boll or something :)

Second is Ray Park as Snake Eyes. I've said it before... He's perfect for the role. Unless they'll start giving him lines that is...

Third is... um... thiiiirrrrdddd issss... uuum...

Well, let's say I put all my hopes on Sommers and Park... ;)

Don't let us down, boys...

ProfessorChaos

Yo Joe... or Oh, No! You be the Judge.

Let me begin by saying I'm a huge fan of G.I. Joe from way back, and have been looking forward to a live-action G.I. Joe film. However, I *am* realistic. The development news about the 'Joe movie sure has been quiet. Almost too quiet. Here is some of what I've been able find out about the movie, though:

The title is going to be "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra", the plot is supposed to be set ten years into the future, and the story will focus on the rise of Cobra as an international terrorist organization that G.I. Joe will be fighting against. I think it's going to be inspired by the comics, since the writer of the G.I. Joe comics, Larry Hama, has a cameo role in the film. So, there is some hope that perhaps they'll stay away from the camp of the cartoon. Regarding the casting, it's either insulting or inspired. Until we see the movie, we won't know which. I'm seriously a bit surprised at who they're picking to play Cobra Commander. It is going to be Joseph Gordon-Levitt, from "3rd Rock from the Sun?, which is certainly *not* my first choice when it comes to portraying a dangerous and despotic terrorist. Here is picture of him, just for reference:

lookout.jpg

Between you, me, and the lamp-post... does this guy look old enough to be the leader of Cobra? I always thought in military organizations of any kind that the guy or gal with the most experience was the one to lead. Honestly, unless he was on the battlefield when he was twelve, this is not even going to be remotely realistic. They seriously need to make him look more mature for this part. My advice? If all else fails... keep the hood on, and talk deep.
Growing up, I always thought Cobra was the 'cool' group compared to the Joe team. Now, I'm starting to wonder if they weren't just trying to look cool for publicity. Of course... you can never tell how the finished product might be.

And here we have Destro. Now, what is wrong with this picture? This fellow looks older than Cobra Commander. He should be in charge, not the kid from "3rd Rock from the Sun!" I *can* picture this guy in the Destro mask, though.

destro2.jpg

More about the plot: "According to the report, which cites a ?reliable studio source,? the story will focus on the tangled relationship between popular ninjas Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The Joes will face down popular Cobra villains Destro, the Baronness and Cobra Commander, though only in a limited role, as well as the chameleon Zartan and his gang, the Dreadnoks." I quote directly from this site: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/gi_joe/news/?a=3984

Ok, so Cobra Commander only has a limited role. I have no idea, given who is playing the part, if this is a good thing or a bad thing. This is truly mystifying.

And Zartan and the Dreadnoks? I always thought they belonged in Mad Max, not G.I. Joe. We need more battles, not biker gangs! We can only hope that their part in Cobra's plans is a small one and not a *large* part of the movie.

This picture is not very reassuring. Only Snake Eyes and the Baronness look like who they are supposed to be. Hawk looks more like Col. Trautman from Rambo, and... is that Cammy from Street Fighter the movie? Say it ain't so!

gi-joe.jpg

Now here is what I think is a bad idea: the good guys and the bad guys are all wearing black. This is what I *didn't* like in the X-Men movies, although thankfully the story in X-Men made up for the ugly costumes. Since G.I. Joe is nowhere near the maturity level of X-Men storyline-wise, I suspect this is going to be majorly distracting. And why does Storm Shadow look like a kid? Heck, compared to this kid, Cobra Commander will look like a grizzled general!
(Maybe that was the whole idea? The method to this madness... is revealed.)
Perhaps in The Matrix black was in, but movies need more diversity anymore. I mean, now every hero and villain is wearing black just to look 'cool'! It's like High School, seriously. Or a Goth concert! Either of which is a lot cooler than Hawk's look in this movie. If they're trying to be original, they failed... utterly. Original, would be to have them actually look like their respective character.
What made Snake Eyes unique was that he was different from the other Joes but if they are all going to be wearing black, that will take away from him a bit in that department. Especially if and when they all have their helmets on!

G.I. Joe, done as a serious movie, should be about guts and glory. Fighting the good fight against truly wicked foes. Picture the drama of a World War 2 film with the technology of the future amidst an international backdrop! We will not be seeing that with this movie. I suspect, at worst, it will be a more serious version of Street Fighter the movie, which ironically I thought *was* going to be the G.I. Joe movie back in the day when it came out. Curious as to why I thought this? Here is a picture from Street Fighter. Tell me that is not, seriously, resembling Duke fighting one of Cobra's Crimson Guardsmen?

street-fighter.jpg

The sad part? Raul Julia would have made an awesome Cobra Commander. At least he could have played CC as being completely bat-guano insane... and it would have been believable! Consider this picture, if ever there was doubt:

95714-6.jpg

Frightening, isn't it, when a scene from Street Fighter the movie looks more like G.I. Joe than the real thing does? For instance... don't those uniforms look like the Crimson Guard, or the Red Shadows from classic G.I. Joe? Guess what... it's another scene from Street Fighter the movie. Truly scandalous!!!

street_fighter2.jpg

And so, G.I. Joe fans, let us pray that G.I. Joe will surprise us and turn out to be a better movie than they are making it out to be so far. Myself... I'll keep an open mind until I actually see it. To be fair, Hayden Christensen did not at first seem like the logical choice for Darth Vader, until I actually saw Revenge of the Sith and it all made sense. The same thing with Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight. Yet, both turned out to be excellent, in the end. :)
Excellent or laughable, one thing is for certain... this movie will make or break the G.I. Joe franchise for a whole new generation of fans. Until then... Yo Joe!

fixer79

You made some good points, ProfessorChaos...

I never thought about the fact that Snake Eyes won't be the only Joe in black anymore... It never really occured to me that that was, indeed, one of the things that made him so special back in the day.
Still, I've heard many times before that the black Joe suits will only be in a fraction of the movie. They won't be their only costumes.

Look, this picture proves it...

channing-tatum-filming-gi-joe-15.jpg

That exoskeleton suit Tatum is wearing does look quite silly at first glance but you can't deny that it does look pretty G.I. joe-ish. Well, maybe it looks more Cobra than G.I. Joe, but it does have a Hasbro action figure quality :)
Also note that this is a spy picture. It's not an official publicity shot.
While it looks awkward here, it might work beautifully in the movie.
I reckon that if someone would've snapped a spy pic of Mikey Keaton in the BatSuit back in 1989, it wouldn't have looked as good as in the finished film.
On the other hand, I sincerly hope they'll wear this sort of costume for only a fraction of the movie too... ;)

You're right about those strange cast decisions... They might turn out OK in the end like Christensen and Ledger...
Also, remember the afformentioned Michael Keaton... Fans around the globe screamed for vengeance when they heard he'd been cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman... And look how wrong they turned out to be!

Never knew that Street Fighter was planned to be a Joe movie... You sure 'bout that?
I do know that the G.I. Joe toyline included Street Fighter video game characters at one point.

Thanks for yer input, by the way :)

Little Indy

The more I learn the more I don't want to know. Like the professor said I have also been waiting for a live action 'Joe movie since back in the day like late 80's. And this is not the direction that GI Joe should go. The names are the same but the look and feel is all wrong. General Hawk doesn't look like he could lead his team out of a paper bag. Good points were brought up about casting and costumes. I was really hoping that the costumes would be more in line with the cartoons/comics. Even amid the wide variety of uniforms the Joes displayed it still would have been quite possible to tie the costuming together to create a unified look. This would have pleased more people and fans.

The cast list seems very odd. As the professor mentioned above the choice of a very youthful Cobra Commander doesn't leave me confident he could lead a world wide terrorist organization. Who knows maybe it is some sort of plot twist and it could be Cobra Commander's son Billy being the face of the oraganization, while CC was the puppetmaster allowing his son to take the fall when things get bad. Oh well I can dream that it will be like that. One source I read listed Brenden Fraser as Gung Ho.! Wtf. I think this guy wold have been a better Gung Ho.
ventura_predator.jpg

Although in this photo he actually looks more like the 'Joe, Recondo.

Is this the image the Marine Corps wants for it's toughest recruit?
brendan_fraser_03.jpg

One final thought. I like the idea of the Dreadnoks. It will be hard to screw up that image. I always liked that Zartan and family were part of the 'Joe storyline. Even though Zartan is connected to Snakes and Storm Shadow, I loved the idea of a third party group with the sole purpose of causing destruction and carnage. I don't really care what they look like as long as they are drinking Grape Soda.

fixer79

Little Indy said:
I loved the idea of a third party group with the sole purpose of causing destruction and carnage. I don't really care what they look like as long as they are drinking Grape Soda.

Hehe. You got that right! :)

It's true that Jesse Venture looks the part on that picture from 'Predator' you've shown us.
Don't forget that picture's 20 years old though, and that Ventura doesn't seem to be all that interested in acting anymore.

By the way, that picture of Fraser looks 20 years old too... ;)

Here's a brandnew picture of an upcoming book:

gijoemerch.jpg

Not that it raises hopes or something... There's Tanning as Duke. Again.
Would've preferred Snakey or some groupshot.

Oh well.

Little Indy

OK OK You got me. The pics I posted were outdated and I really looked for one of Brendan fraser that was the complete opposite of anything Gung Ho would be doing. But still Brendan Fraser as this guy?
gungho_full.jpg

fixer79

Yeah, you're right... He doesn't look in the least like Gung Ho...
I'm happy he's in the movie, but they should've gotten him another role in it.
Shipwreck maybe... Heck, there's plenty of characters to choose from.

You know, looking back to your Predator picture, it's really a shame that they didn't do a G.I. Joe movie back in the eighties. Jesse Ventura would've been the ideal actor to play a guy like Gung Ho....
I don't think he' would've thought twice to accept a role like that.

Oh well... Let's just hope Fraser, and all the other cast members for that matter, deliver and wipe away all our prejudices.

Of course, us fans will probably never be entirely satisfied with the movie. We've known the G.I. Joe characters for so long that we've made up our minds about how they should act and look like. It's gonna be pretty hard for the movie's cast to satisfy everyone.
I know that I, for one, will be dissapointed that Snake Eyes faithful pet Timber won't be in the movie. Someone else on the other hand will be glad he isn't included.

We've got to realize that it's incredibly tough for the cast and crew to deliver a picture that pleases all fans plus creates a whole army of new fans who'd didn't grow up with the Joe's.
I'm sure they have a good reason for every design decision they've made, from the plot to the cast and their wardrobe.
At least that's what I'm hoping for...

;)

ProfessorChaos

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that Street Fighter was originally planned to be a G.I. Joe Movie... it wasn't. What I meant was that I thought it was, when I first saw the trailer for it in the theaters when I was a kid, because of how the costumes and vehicles looked in it and the part where the guy who did the coming attractions for it said: "Whenever the forces of evil rear their ugly head... one force of freedom will be there to stand up to them!" or some such thing. Then, I realized it wasn't G.I. Joe when it said: "Street Fighter". I have to wonder, however, if they maybe weren't at least thinking of 'Joe when they were making it. There were a lot of really eerie similarities.

One of my favorite hidden things (the things that they never expect the audiance to notice) in Street Fighter was the part where M. Bison is in his quarters and you see this painting of him on a horse that looks just like a famous painting of Napoleon. And it tips you off that this guy is just crazy!

They should do something like that in G.I. Joe, but maybe with Destro. Like have a painting of him in Castle Destro in Scotland and maybe make him in a Hitler-esque pose in the painting... to hint at him having a dictator complex.

Lastly, the Baroness looks good. She was always one of the sexiest of the ladies in G.I. Joe. Here are some good pics, sure to bring back memories...

Straight from the comics, looking hot as usual. I'm not sure if they intended her to be the "hot chick", but she certainly got better poses than Scarlet did.

Baroness24.jpg

Anime Baroness, anyone? Now there is an idea that would seriously kick butt! They should do a G.I. Joe anime to go with the movie... like the Animatrix.

baroness-final-small-701267.jpg

Smile for the camera, miss DeCobray! That's it... perfect. Now say snakeoil! Normally, we'd have her say cheese, but today it's snakeoil. Just... because.

joe8b.jpg

Here she is, from her filecard. I used to have all of the old filecards, but over the years they got lost, sold, etc. This came from some website or another.

baroness_full.jpg

Propaganda Poster, anyone? Join Cobra... work under the Baroness. Sign me up, baby! (I have no idea who designed this, but it really is genius art.) (y)

the_Baroness_by_belldandies.jpg

In my next post, I think I'll share some interesting comparisons between the comics' version of Cobra Commander and Destro, and the movie version. :)

ProfessorChaos

And, as I promised, here is the comparison between the comics' version of Destro and Cobra Commander versus the movie version. It is interesting...

Here we have Cobra Commander from the comics, in his early days as leader.
Look closely in the mirrors and you'll see he has long hair, back in a ponytail.
No, this is NOT a Dreadnok... this is indeed THE Cobra Commander, himself.
The mustache is an interesting touch, as it harkens back to the early days of the European G.I. Joe, Action Force, when he was known as Baron Ironblood. I can see why with the kid from 3rd. Rock in the part, folks are thinking more of Billy, his son, than he himself. This guy is very crazy, and certainly no kid!

gijsgcc4.jpg

Here is a picture of Baron Ironblood, Europe's version of Cobra Commander. Baron Ironblood was a South American warlord who employed former Nazis in his Red Shadows terrorist organization. Eventually, in the European story, he changed his codename to Cobra Commander. His second in command, who was called Red Jackal, was given the new codename Destro. Very different from the American story in which Cobra Commander was dissatisfied with the American system and decided to found Cobra to impose his own ideas on the world. In the American comics, they did feature the Red Shadows once, but they were an organization opposed to both 'Joe and Cobra. Things got very messy once they showed up, and a lot of characters even got killed by them.

o702000_11_0am.jpg

Here is a more recent picture of Cobra Commander from the comics. He looks dangerous and crazy enough which may be a tough act for the movie version to follow. Notice how, unlike in the cartoons, he is a normal human being. Not a snake man from Cobra-La! I always liked that about the comics... realism. They dropped the mustache and ponytail in these later comics, probably to further distance him from the European version which was a very good move.
You can see the reasons why I was thinking how Raul Julia as M. Bison from Street Fighter would have made one crazy Cobra Commander. It's the eyes!

cc3.jpg

cc4.jpg

Now, here is a glimpse into the insanity of Cobra Commander. Here, he tells how, if he cannot control the world, then he is going to utterly destory it. I have no idea who the guy with the eyepatch is; just one of his underlings. In the movie, they really should do it serious, and not go for any goofy comedy. Cobra really can be a dangerous bunch of lunatics, if portrayed correctly. ;)

joe710-2.jpg

Now, here we go with Destro. This is the worst image of him unmasked from the comics. He just looks too much like Duke. Not a high point in the comics! I always thought this scence failed to convey the man behind the metal mask in a properly evil light. They definitely were playing for the reader's sympathy here, and it was rather obvious. Evil is the way to go, not "misunderstood".

qntjxz.jpg

So, while the movie version of Cobra Commander needs a lot of work to be a believable maniac, I think the movie version of Destro is so far superior to the comics, at least in terms of looking sinister. And there you have it, those are all the pics I could find online for these characters with their masks... off. :)

fixer79

ProfessorChaos said:
Propaganda Poster, anyone? Join Cobra... work under the Baroness. Sign me up, baby! (I have no idea who designed this, but it really is genius art.) (y)

the_Baroness_by_belldandies.jpg

Sign me up too ;)

ProfessorChaos said:
In my next post, I think I'll share some interesting comparisons between the comics' version of Cobra Commander and Destro, and the movie version. :)

Cool! Looking forward to it :)

fixer79

Thanks for the info ProfessorChaos!

In fact, what is the best of the recent G.I. Joe comics? What would you recommend?

Little Indy

The man with the eye patch is Major Bludd. In fact Cobra Commander refers to him by last name in the panel. Major Bludd is essentially a mercenary who is at the disposal of the highest bidder. He also has a thing for poetry.

ProfessorChaos

Thanks for remembering Major Bludd's name! I forgot what it was, because when I was little my friends and I used to give him the codename "Scorpion", so I always thought of him as that. :D

Regarding which comics I recommend, here is a list of the story arcs from both Marvel and Devil's Due comics' G.I. Joe series that I found to be the most memorable:

From the original Marvel Comics Series:

1. The Very First Issue. Where General Hawk shows the 'Joes their new base, the Pit, and Cobra Commander and the Baroness take over an old spanish fort, holding a bunch of people for ransom. This leads up to an interesting second issue, where the 'Joe team must protect the Alaskan pipeline from being sabotaged by Cobra. These first story arcs were what started it all! As a kid, I used to re-enact this story with my G.I. Joe toys. I even built the spanish fort using building blocks and legos; this brings back some memories.
The second issue was where we learn that Snake Eyes' face is messed up. A commanding officer orders him to put his mask on in order to make himself presentable. It would be a long time in the series, before we could see why.

2. The Takeover of Springfield. This was Cobra's attempt to contol an entire American town as a show of what it could do. Destro's first appearance was about at this time, as was the HISS tank. Cobra used a lot of brainwashing on the people of Springfield, and the takeover was gradual and insidious. It became unofficially known to the fans as "Cobra Town", and it served as a base of sorts for them until Cobra Island showed up in one of the later issues.
It was interesting how, no matter how hard the 'Joes tried to root Cobra out of the town, they just couldn't becuase so many people were Cobra agents, yet sometimes themselves never realized it. Talk about a truly sneaky plot!

3. The Silent Snake Eyes Issue! You weren't a real fan of the 'Joe comics if you didn't real this one. Not one word was spoken in the whole issue. Not a single thought bubble either. The whole thing was a silent drama as Snake Eyes fought Storm Shadow and an enemy Ninja clan. This was when Scarlett first became attracted to Snake Eyes, and her face conveyed the emotion a lot better than words could have. Snake Eyes kicked major butt in this story! I called this one the Silent Ninjas issue, and it had a lot of serious Ninja butt kicking action in it. It is probably one of the best Snake Eyes stories *ever*.

4. Cobra's Civil War. This was in the later issues. Doctor Mindbender created Serpentor to replace Cobra Commander, who was in hiding at the time. But, unexpectedly, Cobra Commander snuck back and took control of the faction of Cobra that was still loyal to him. They prevailed, and he ended up sealing away the traitors in an old abandoned shipwreck on Cobra Island. Even the Baroness wasn't safe, and Destro for a while was ready to go against Cobra Commander to save her. This story arc had a huge amount of intrigue, and marked the first time when Cobra actually killed their own, for their cause. Up until the Red Shadows arc in the DDP series years later, this was considered by many to be the darkest chapter in the history of the G.I. Joe Marvel run.

5. The Crimson Guard. Way before the Cobra Civil War, the Crimson Guard were introduced. These were ordinary people involved in corporate business who joined this elite group, gave up their real names, and became known as "Fred" and then a number. Such as "Fred III", for example. At this time, Cobra Commander's son Billy surfaced and an attempt was made on CC's life. CC then went to extremes to get revenge on those responsible, and this led to constant paranoia amidst those loyal to him over those who were not. All of this intrigue was the first sign of what would lead to the Cobra Civil War, and a good use forshadowing of future events and their dire consequences.

6. The Origin of Snake Eyes. This issue really was interesting! It told about the time when Snake Eyes was serving in Viet Nam and his face got hit by a hail of gunfire. Later on, it was revealed that he also suffered severe burns from a different incident not related to his time in the Viet Nam war. This was the first time that G.I. Joe talked about a real war, and the trauma caused by that war. It was hinted at, that Snake Eyes had some kind of a serious emotional problem because of being in 'Nam, and Scarlett's feelings for him became even stronger. I think it began, for her, as genuine pity for Snake Eyes, and it was from there that things grew. This was actually a sad story. One moving sequence showed Storm Shadow in Viet Nam trying to rescue the injured Snake Eyes amidst almost impossible odds. The end of the story explained that Snake Eyes' loved ones were killed in a car explosion that was tied to the machinations of the man who would become Cobra Commander.
It was also revealed that a large factor in Snake Eyes' disfigurement was a helicopter explosion which also left him unable to speak save for rare times.

7. Snake Eyes gets Plastic Surgery. After the Cobra Civil War, the 'Joe team had some down time while Cobra re-organized itself. While Rock 'n Roll was showing the 'Joe teams new base to some kids who wanted a tour, Snake Eyes and Scarlett decided to see about Snake Eyes getting his face repaired.
In this story, we learn that attempts were made before... and that Snake's face, although hideously scarred, was once much worse than it is now. The doctor thinks he can repair Snake Eyes' face, and conducts the surgery. As Snake Eyes is totally sedated and entering his recovery from the operation, the Baroness shows up, kidnaps Scarlett, and almost kills her at one point in this story arc. Snake Eyes rescues Scarlett, and the Baroness has to leave to bail Destro out of his latest trouble with Cobra Commander, which is a lot.

8. The 'Joes go to Canada. I have no idea why I remember this story as vivid as I do, it wasn't even that good. A small team of 'Joes team up with some Canadian Mounties to help solve a murder investigation which soon turns out to have been partly the work of a bear and partly the work of terrorists who they have to uncover and bring to justice. This was a boring story, though, and I don't remember more about it other than this, since around the time I first read it, I discovered Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. Needless to say, my attention shifted to Frank Miller's legendary masterpiece.

9. The Introduction of Zartan. This was memorable because it was a very big let down for me. The actions figure of Zartan was cool, and I thought that in the comics he would be an interesting villain. Instead, he was the leader of a biker gang and just seemed to be hired by Cobra to commit petty vandalism to distract people from Cobra's real doings in the areas where the vandalism was taking place. This wasn't long after Destro's introduction into the series, and it just felt like a cheap way to introduce another new character too soon afer already introducing a very cool character indeed (Destro). Ironically, I recall the issue before it saying - "Next Issue: The Dreadnoks!" and since it was before the Dreadnoks figures came out, I wondered what a Dreadnok is. I thought they were going to be fearsome creatures or Cobra war machines, and in the end they were just Zartan's biker gang, a bunch of petty criminals. It wasn't until much later in the comics that Zartan became a more cool type of villain, and he and his sister Zarana kind of grew on me over the years. :)

10. The G.I. Joe Team is Disbanded. I remember this issue, and how in it the big ceremony came where the team was told to call it quits. Snake eyes was going to marry Scarlett and it was implied that Flint and Lady Jaye were also about to settle down. The Pit was closed, and Cobra was no longer going to be considered a threat that required the 'Joe team's services to fight against.

From the DDP (Devil's Due Press) G.I. Joe Comics Series...

1. The Red Shadows. This was one nasty story arc. Lady Jaye is killed by a mysterious organization that is trying to eliminate both G.I. Joe and Cobra so they can unleash a deadly doomsday plot involving military weapons arrays that can target key locations around the globe. Flint goes off in search of revenge for Lady Jaye's death, Cobra as an organization just about falls to pieces, and in the end the leader of the Red Shadows escapes while Flint is left to cope with his wife's death and the fact that he cannot avenge her. This was, perhaps the darkest chapter in the history of the 'Joe team, since the Red Shadows (unlike Cobra) were far more concerned with causing chaos and death than they were with actually fighting for a specific cause at all.

2. Hawk is Shot. This happened not long before the Red Shadows story arc. During a mission against Cobra, Hawk and Cobra Commander get into a big fight. Cobra Commander shoots him in the back, only to himself be shot by the Baroness, who takes off with Destro to sieze total control of Cobra. Hawk is hospitalized and has strange dreams and learns that he is paralyzed. The Baroness is also having odd dreams because all of the brainwashing Cobra Commander gave her is wearing off. She finds out she's pregnant by Destro. Eventually, Cobra Commander recovers and General Phillip Rey replaces Hawk as the leader of G.I. Joe, leading into the Red Shadows story arc, in which it is discovered that in fact it was Zartan, disguised as CC, who was shot.

I stopped reading G.I. Joe comics when the Red Shadows storyline finished, so I don't know anything about the issues following that. Also, forgive any inaccuracies in my synopses, since I am just going by memory alone here. ;)

Goonie

Little Indy said:
Well the new movie this year may not sit right with fans, but for the collectors It is ramping up to be a hot one. After Indy, GI JOE is my fondest memory. When the Indy figs weren't on the shelves anymore GI JOE saved the day. Here is a preview of Hasbro's Baroness from the movie line. Enjoy.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=3150

Interesting. Are the new Joes going to have the same packaging for the figs or is there going to be some special movie card produced?