What if Indy had destroyed the Ark?

What do you think would have happened if Indy had done as he will and had blown the Ark back to God? Would it have unleashed the Wrath of God upon Indy? Would it be impervious to the concussion grenade and nothing would have happened? Would it have destroyed everyone on the island?

The Drifter

I think he would have blew Toht, Belloq, and everyone else sky high, and on top of that the Ark would have exploded.
Releasing the spirits within, and thus Indy would have seen them, and would have been melted like Toht!

DocWhiskey

^ Yeah, something along the lines of that.

Basically, everyone would be dead.

But we still would've got ToD(y)

LC? Not so much(n)

Kingsley

Maybe it can't be destroyed that way, it preserves itself someway (maybe killing the attackers).

But... were all the soldiers "bad guys"? Did they deserve to die? Imagine Toth bringing his little cute daugter to see the ceremony. Would her face melt too?
Why? WHY?!

Well Indy did surrender, was it because he surrendered to the fact that he knew that Belloq was right or could the Ark may have also had some influence upon his will to destroy it? I always thought Indy was bluffing and Belloq called it, but why would Indy expose himself if he had no intention of following through? He tries to barter for Marion but there's no way off the island for them to escape. He must have realized that endgame was the only objective and that he had to destroy it rather than allow it to fall into Nazi possession.

I think if Indy and Marion had gazed upon the divine spirits released from the Ark that they too would have been indiscriminately incinerated by its power but Indy knew to look away, one of the many benefits of having attended Sunday School as a child.

oki9Sedo

Nothing, I reckon. The Ark wouldn't have even been scratched.

As if something with such power could be destroyed by a simple man-made rocket.

QBComics

It would bounce off the Ark, and blow Indy up. Shocked but happy Belloq shrugs and moves on. At the ceremony they do everything right but without Indy there Marion did not close her eyes so she melts. The end :p

The Man

Maybe the Ark would simply be destroyed like any other object. The spirits within must first be invoked by a Nazi-loving Frenchman before they go totally apesh!t. Before the supernatural ooga-booga began, the Ark held nothing but sand, after all.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Maybe it can't be destroyed that way, it preserves itself someway (maybe killing the attackers).

But... were all the soldiers "bad guys"? Did they deserve to die? Imagine Toth bringing his little cute daugter to see the ceremony. Would her face melt too?
Why? WHY?!

It's not a matter of good or bad - it's a matter of the hubris and lack of shame that is demonstrated by daring to look upon God, as near as I can tell, and in disobeying the order not to touch the Ark.

Perhilion

exactly. I don't think the Ark would have been destroyed, though. It probably would have absorbed the explosion and released it later when it was opened.

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
It's not a matter of good or bad - it's a matter of the hubris and lack of shame that is demonstrated by daring to look upon God, as near as I can tell, and in disobeying the order not to touch the Ark.

That's EXACTLY what it is. From what I understand, the Ark is the power of God on Earth. Nobody could touch it because of this or they would be killed, good or bad. And you can't look for the same reason. Nothing to do with being good or bad.

This is Old Testament God yo.

But anyway. I don't think the Ark would have been destroyed if Indy fired the rocket. I don't think it could be destroyed so easily. What exactly would happen? It might have blown everyone down there to pieces leaving the Ark in pristine condition. Or maybe the rocket would avert away at the last second. I doubt the spirits inside would come out.

Then again. It might have been destroyed with absolutely no repercussions. As the Ark's existence really is not necessary anymore as far as I can tell... and if God so chose for it to be "blown back" to him I could see that happening. Afterall, it's just sand at first. That's all that's in it. The "power" of God appears afterwards. I don't think it actually "conceals" the power of God so much as calls upon it.

Who knows. But good question.

Interesting but wasn't the Ark built by the Hebrews who melted down their gold jewelry and false idols to build the tabernacle to carry the ten commandments that Moses smashed after they committed idolatry? Sorry, been awhile since I went to Sunday School.

And what exactly constitutes "touching" the Ark or is it only once the lid is removed that the power is unleashed? The illustration that Indy showed Eaton and Musgrove showed the Hebrews carrying the closed Ark with a beam shooting out of it. So are only those of the pure faith exempt from having any physical contact while non-believers are decimated by its power?

The Drifter

Agent Spalko said:
Interesting but wasn't the Ark built by the Hebrews who melted down their gold jewelry and false idols to build the tabernacle to carry the ten commandments that Moses smashed after they committed idolatry? Sorry, been awhile since I went to Sunday School.

And what exactly constitutes "touching" the Ark or is it only once the lid is removed that the power is unleashed? The illustration that Indy showed Eaton and Musgrove showed the Hebrews carrying the closed Ark with a beam shooting out of it. So are only those of the pure faith exempt from having any physical contact while non-believers are decimated by its power?

In the bible, the Ark was made from melted gold from idols and such.
But, then the Isrealites built the tabernacle, the Ark was placed inside it. (When they camped).

Arron and a few other selected preists (chosen by God) were the ONLY ones allowed to even carry the ark.
If anyone else touched it (Even Moses), they died instantly.

Nurhachi1991

I think Marion would of ran the Ark would of killed everyone and the spirts come to Indy and he goes

" Come On!!!!!" and the credits roll

MightyMegs

Along similar lines... I wonder if Indy should have just let the Germans take the Ark. I mean, things would have worked out great if they opened the Ark in front of Hitler. I'd have liked to see his head pop like balloon...

The Drifter

Agent Spalko said:
So the Nazi soldiers who lift the lid off the Ark should have been destroyed the second they even touched it.

According to The Old Testement. Than, yes, they should have been dead.
I can look that part up if anyone wishes.

The Drifter

Agent Spalko said:
From my understanding of the OT, the Ark is the temple for God on Earth.

Yes, God dwelled in the Ark.
When they placed it into the tablernacle. The room was considered the Holiest of Holies and God dwelled there.