TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #101
HovitosKing
IndyFan
 
HovitosKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,511
Agreed. Max McCoy is your best bet for Indy books. If you get through those and want more, go with the Macgregor books in order. Skip the Caidin books, they're crap.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #102
Travis85
IndyFan
 
Travis85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 152
Are the novels any good?

I have had Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge for a long time but never read it, because I find that movie tie-in books are usually not very good. I know this forum mostly talks about the Indy comics, but are any of the novels worth reading? do they have the same feel as the movies?
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #103
UltimateManGod
IndyFan
 
UltimateManGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 260
I've only read a few of the books, but I enjoyed them all. I used to have all four McCoy books and Peril at Delphi. I rented Genesis Deluge and Interior World from the library long ago. I loved the McCoy books, but don't remember the others that well. The impression I've gotten is that the general consensus is the McCoy books fell the moost like the movies, and the MacGregor books were pretty good. The Caidin novels don't sound like they were that good. I actually ordered all twelve from Amazon and the price wasn't bad. The shipping costs were a bit high, but the average price per book still came out to about $7.50 for me. Once I've read them all, I can give a more personal view on the rest of the series.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #104
Ska
IndyFan
 
Ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,438
I do own and have read them all.

And like already stated, the Max McCoy and Rob MacGreggor novels are good and worth reading...the others are ok at best, with the Martin Caidin ones being just plain bad and a waste of time. Unless you like to know EVERYTHING about planes.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #105
Perhilion
IndyFan
 
Perhilion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 719
Honestly, I didn't like any of them. They just didn't feel "Indy" to me. And how many times has Indiana Jones ever said "golly"?!
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #106
RedHuffy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhilion
They just didn't feel "Indy" to me.


Couldn't agree more.

Indy just doesn't translate to the page very well.
RedHuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #107
metalinvader
IndyFan
 
metalinvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orellana's Cradle
Posts: 2,428
I've always enjoyed the MacGreggor and McCoy Novels.Nice,Fun reads.The Caidin novels you should avoid like they are the black plauge.Awful books that read like a flight manual.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #108
Perhilion
IndyFan
 
Perhilion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHuffy
Couldn't agree more.

Indy just doesn't translate to the page very well.
I'm working on that...
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #109
RedHuffy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhilion
I'm working on that...


Cool. Try to emulate the storytelling structure of the films as much as possible. And, more importantly, inject your work with the same sense of mystery and wonder found in the movies, the same suspense and breakneck action.

Most of these characteristics are missing from the novels.
RedHuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #110
NoCamels
IndyFan
 
NoCamels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the Mysterious City of Gold.
Posts: 231
In Secret of the Sphinx, there is a part about a crystal skull. Is there more to the Crystal Skull sub-plot in another book that I haven't read, or does it just come out of nowhere? I just read that book for the first time- I think I've only read Young Indy books until this one (been a while since I've seen any).

Good luck on writing a good Indy story!
NoCamels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #111
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCamels
In Secret of the Sphinx, there is a part about a crystal skull. Is there more to the Crystal Skull sub-plot in another book that I haven't read, or does it just come out of nowhere? I just read that book for the first time- I think I've only read Young Indy books until this one (been a while since I've seen any).

Good luck on writing a good Indy story!

Yeah... the crystal skull part seemed unnecessary to me. It comes after the main story has already been resolved.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #112
UltimateManGod
IndyFan
 
UltimateManGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCamels
In Secret of the Sphinx, there is a part about a crystal skull. Is there more to the Crystal Skull sub-plot in another book that I haven't read, or does it just come out of nowhere? I just read that book for the first time- I think I've only read Young Indy books until this one (been a while since I've seen any).

Good luck on writing a good Indy story!

There's a crystal skull sub-plot throughout the four McCoy Indy novels. It's not too bad a sub-plot. I enjoyed it. Once you've read all four, it makes more sense. I was worried that the skull in the books would be the one in KotCS and that the movie would disregard the books, but thankfully I was wrong. It would be cool if they could fit in a mention about how Indy dealt with the crystall skull from the books, as long as it wasn't shoehorned in.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #113
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManGod
There's a crystal skull sub-plot throughout the four McCoy Indy novels. It's not too bad a sub-plot. I enjoyed it. Once you've read all four, it makes more sense. I was worried that the skull in the books would be the one in KotCS and that the movie would disregard the books, but thankfully I was wrong. It would be cool if they could fit in a mention about how Indy dealt with the crystall skull from the books, as long as it wasn't shoehorned in.

OHHH... is that what that little snippit is about. It's a sub-plot? I have to read them all I guess. Too bad the one I read was Secret of the Sphinx, which is the ending to that story.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 AM   #114
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
Yeah, that sub-plot is a pretty big deal. A pretty bad curse on Indy, which leaves you wondering if it is lifted after what he does to the skull in "Sphinx" or if he has to live with it the rest of his life? I'd like to think that the curse got lifted.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #115
UltimateManGod
IndyFan
 
UltimateManGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Yeah, that sub-plot is a pretty big deal. A pretty bad curse on Indy, which leaves you wondering if it is lifted after what he does to the skull in "Sphinx" or if he has to live with it the rest of his life? I'd like to think that the curse got lifted.

I figured it was lifted, mainly because I don't think we see evidence of any sort of curse like that in the movies. It would be hard to have Indy cursed, than have three movies that take place after the books where he doesn't seem cursed at all. All this talk of Indy books is making me impatient as I wait for all twelve to eventually be delivered to me.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #116
NoCamels
IndyFan
 
NoCamels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the Mysterious City of Gold.
Posts: 231
Ok, so there is more to that crystal skull part, then. I really liked the part where Indy had been hiding it in a jar of (something) because the skull was crystal quartz and would therefore be invisible due to the (actual scientific reason which I can't remember what it's called at the moment.) I would love to see that in a movie, if there was a logical reason to do it.
NoCamels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #117
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManGod
I figured it was lifted, mainly because I don't think we see evidence of any sort of curse like that in the movies. It would be hard to have Indy cursed, than have three movies that take place after the books where he doesn't seem cursed at all. All this talk of Indy books is making me impatient as I wait for all twelve to eventually be delivered to me.

Actually, the type of curse it was, it could be still attached to Indy. Here's why:

The curse was: "You will kill, what you love." Whomever he told, "I love you" and consumates it and they love him back, they would die a death that was caused by him. Alecia, his girlfriend in the McCoy books, tells him she loves him and he says it back and she dies a death, that is related to the Crystal Skull and him. Now in the trilogy, he never says "I love you" and no one says to him, "I love you". He does lay Elsa, and they did seem to have feelings for each other, until he found out she was a Nazi. She dies, but really because she was the cause of her own death, I think. Depends on your point of view on Elsa. I will think the curse is lifted, if we find in KOTCS, a son with Marion and IF Marion is told by Indy that he loves her and IF she survives.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #118
UltimateManGod
IndyFan
 
UltimateManGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 260
That's right. I forgot the details of the curse. Those are definitely some good points. It'll be interesting so see if Indy says that to Marion. I sincerely doubt that
Marion will die though.
So in that case, I still think the curse is lifted. But you are right,
there is no real evidence of it in the trilogy.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #119
Dr._Jones
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 43
i shouldnt have highlighted the black......... scared.......cold....so....cold....
Dr._Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #120
UltimateManGod
IndyFan
 
UltimateManGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Jones
i shouldnt have highlighted the black......... scared.......cold....so....cold....

It's okay. We're here for you. I'm 99.9% sure that the bad thing hiding in the black bars will not come to pass. It just makes no sense, and I just don't think Lucas was looking back at the novels to find something he could use in the story. I doubt Nathanson or Koepp did either. Since the trilogy came out years before the books, I think it's coincidence that it works out that way. I also think McCoy meant for the curse to end after the skull was returned.

Speaking of the novels, mine have started coming in. I got Unicorn's Legacy and Sky Pirates today. Only ten more to go.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #121
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
There was a reason why it was a huge spoiler tag. It was enter at your own risk!

But, yeah... Marion wouldn't die. She just to awesome too. Lucas would have only read novels or at least, the synopsis once before being ok with publication. Perhaps McCoy intended to make it dubious as to whether the curse was lifted or not, with the way the trilogy is. I like to think that was lifted because of what happened when he returned the skull. Also to use the curse to explain Indy's love life, not quite settling down in fear of the curse happening again. So it was lifted but Indy was just not sure of himself and decided not to endanger anyone. However, Marion seems to have been quite lucky. She was believed to be dead in Raiders and survived (same with Indy ala LC), so it seems she is about as easy to kill as Indy, which really isn't that easy at all.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #122
Gary2880
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 115
New to Indy lit...

I noticed a big long thread about indy novels, I have just bought these 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553295020

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553561952

Are these any good yeah? which is the best author of them

Does anyone know what this is, a collection of the above novels?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Jone...3881094&sr=1-3

And i read that someone mentioned something about indiana jones "graphic novels" ? can someone point me in the direction of those please

Danke muchly

Gary2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #123
metalinvader
IndyFan
 
metalinvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orellana's Cradle
Posts: 2,428
The Omnibus is a collection of the first three comic series by Dark Horse..So-so stories,Terrible art.

As for the novels,I like them.They are all pretty good,Cept for the two Martin Caidin books.His two novels are just unreadable.If I were you I would have start with the first in the series,Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi.Start with that book because when reading Genesis Deluge ,The fourth in the series, you'll be scratching your head wondering who some of the characters are and not to mention a MAJOR story line in the early part of the series.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #124
Travis85
IndyFan
 
Travis85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 152
I'd like the novels to be collected in omnibus form, that would be nice.
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #125
Gary2880
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 115
Could you list which order the novels are meant to come in, amazon doesnt do that. ta
Gary2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.