TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Paden
IndyFan

RIP Campbell Armstrong

I searched threads here at the Raven and the Raider.net and did not find mention of this. If it's already been posted about and this is a duplicate thread, my apologies.

Scottish novelist Campbell Armstrong, known to some Indiana Jones fans by his birth name, Campbell Black, passed away on March 1, 2013 after a battle with cancer. Armstrong was the author of the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Armstrong was an accomplished crime writer. Two of his novels won Scottish Arts Council Awards. After teaching for several years, a profession he reportedly disliked, Armstrong became a full time writer. He resided in Arizona for many years, but in the nineties he returned to Europe and lived in Ireland until his death. He had just turned 69.

Armstrong participated in an interview about his adaptation of Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Raider.net, which can be found here: Campbell Black interview.

Armstrong unsuccessfully attempted to sue Lucasfilm, claiming that he was owed unpaid royalties for the Raiders novelization, which was discussed here at the Raven.

Armstrong's official website, with his complete bibliography, can be found here: campbellarmstrong.com
Paden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Pale Horse

We have an RIP thread for everyone. It's kinda morbid, but given the nature of this one, and the fact that it wasn't mentioned in there, I'll give the old man a pass this time.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Paden
IndyFan

Oops. I did miss the general "RIP" thread in my searching. Sorry about that. Won't happen again, boss.
Paden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
We have an RIP thread for everyone. It's kinda morbid, but given the nature of this one, and the fact that it wasn't mentioned in there, I'll give the old man a pass this time.

I don't get the sense that this message board is overly wrought with redundancy and spam threads these days. That being the case, maybe we should drop the old sheriff's badge in the desk drawer for a while and simply pay condolences to those who knew or appreciated Campbell Black in some way. Jesus. RIP.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Shipwreck
Moderator Emeritus

re campbell black

crap was i surprised by this. he was a great friend and i had no idea he passed. thanks for sharing this.
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

I return after a while and find this. Agh. How did I miss this back in '13? How sad.

EDIT: And just realized there is a general "RIP" thread. Oops. Forgive my thread necromancy...
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote