TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #26
Andy Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
What we really need is someone to translate the German Indy books into English, only then can the Indy Novel Library be completed.

Exactly! I would love to get these books in English.

I've read all of the 12 books that are available in English and really like them all. The Max Mcoy books are far and a way the best of the bunch though.

Hopefully when they get around to doing the 4th Indy film they will ask him to do the novel for the film and also to do another original story. Here's hoping!
Andy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #27
ij1936
IndyFan

I have and I can visualize Ford as Indy doing anyone of these adventures!
ij1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #28
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

are the indy novels easy to get?? if they are where can i get them?
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #29
VP
Moderator Emeritus

I ordered mine from Amazon. They are about 5 euros each.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:21 PM   #30
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

Ok, thx VP,

Your info usefull as always
Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #31
dapthx
IndyFan

Just curious...but why hasn't any effort been done to have Wolfgang's novels translated to English?Wonder if there are plans?Damn I wish I could speak German...LOL
dapthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #32
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

actually im trying to learn it but its really hard, ich spreche nich deutsch
Old 02-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #33
Jay R. Zay
IndyFan

well i guess hohlbeins books are the least reason to learn german i haven't read any of his indy books but the rest always is more or less the same bull****, a weak stephen king version. as far as i know, his indy books aren't so good either.
Jay R. Zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #34
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

lol, i know but hey its one reason more btw was that right what i wrote there?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #35
Jay R. Zay
IndyFan

yupp, for spoken german 100% right.

for written german, "ich spreche > kein < deutsch" would probably be the more accepted expression. unfortunately, i don't speak a single word of spanish. i've decided to do latin but this didn't work so well, too do you have german as a school subject?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #36
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

nah i go to law school in the morning, and german classes some days in the evening, and i have an exam the 10th and im gonna fail , i hate to study the german genders, it doesnt follow any rules

lol kidding i just have to study
Old 02-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #37
Jay R. Zay
IndyFan

if it helps you, even most of the german people speak a wrong german, so probably you won't even be recognized as a foreigner when you come here in a way, the german language has still many problems but the new spelling reform got many things fixed in this respect.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #38
ElodieJones
IndyFan

I have study german at school during 6 years.
Because in switzerland german is the second language.
But I must agree that it is a very difficult language.
And, of course, I hate it.
ElodieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #39
dapthx
IndyFan

After I had seen these Novels out there floating around by Wolfgang,I am kind of depressed now..because I mean it's Indy..and they belong in my collection...but I would like to have English versions as well.I doubt that I
will ever learn German..because my wife is Malaysian and Malay is the only other language I have tried to learn.(sigh)

DC
dapthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #40
Gilles V
IndyFan

Hohlbein's Indy novels are also available in Dutch.
That's how I got to read them.

But then again, they say that Dutch is even more difficult to learn than German.
Gilles V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #41
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles V
Hohlbein's Indy novels are also available in Dutch.
That's how I got to read them.

But then again, they say that Dutch is even more difficult to learn than German.

Gilles, is your native tongue Dutch?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:17 AM   #42
VP
Moderator Emeritus

It is probably Dutch. Belgium has two official languages, Dutch and French.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #43
Canyon
IndyFan

Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
For anyone who is having problems getting hold of the Indy books, I found a site which might be of help

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/se...iana_jones.htm
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #44
Moedred
Administrator

I noted the locations and methods of transportation in the McCoy books as I read them, because Indy seems to never stop moving. Spoilers, needless to say.

March 1933
Maya Mountains, British Honduras. Hike to San Pablo, Guatemala. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Train to New York City. Blimp, fighter plane to London, England. Garbage boat to the English Channel. Seaplane to Rome, Italy. Longboat to Northeast coast of Libya. Horse to Egyptian border and oasis Tomb of Hermes. Truck to Cairo Egypt. Plane to Rome, Italy. Plane to London, England. (Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone - B)

October - December 1933
Marseilles, France. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Car to New York City. Plane to Shanghai, China. Train to Kalgan/ Xanadu/ Changchiakou, China. Truck to Great Wall; Tuerin; Urga/ Ulan Bator; Tzen Khan's village; Flaming Cliffs. Hike to Lamastery; Happy Valley. Hike, Horse-drawn truck to Tzen Khan's village; Kalgan. Train to Shanghai, China. Plane to France. Salvage ship to sunken sub off Coast of Denmark. (Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs - B)

February 1934
Princeton, New Jersey. Train to Oswego in S.E. Kansas. Train, bus to Pine Springs in the Guadalupe Mountains on the Texas/ New Mexico Border. Truck to El Paso, Texas. Plane to New Orleans, Louisiana. Plane to Long Island, New York; Reykjavik, Iceland; Ny Alesund, Spirzbergen Island. Plane to iceberg. Sled to boat. Boat through Edda Shaft to volcano. Boat, hike to Ultima Thule/ Agartha, 100 miles below the surface of the Earth. (?) to Ny Alesund, Spirzbergen Island. (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth - B)

September 1934
Lintong village, China. Hike to Mount Hua, Shaanxi Province, China. Car to Luchow, China. Freighter, lifeboat, junk to Lazarus Island off China. Plane to Calcutta, India. Train to Indus River, Pakistan. Plane to Tigris River, Iraq. Motorcycle to Lalesh, Iraq. Motorcycle to Cairo, Egypt. Car to Giza, Egypt. Car to Cairo, Egypt. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Plane to British Honduras. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. (Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx - B)
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #45
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'm glad to see another thread about the books here. I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked them.

I love all 12 books but the Max McCoy books are my favorites. He just did such a great job of capturing the characters and the feel of the films, not to mention that he came up with some great stories that would have made for another great Indy film (the Philospher's Stone, a lost dinosaur egg, a secret race living inside a volcano in the Arctic, the Staff of Aaron and the Sphinx).

Rob MacGregor was great too and he gave us a good look at Indy's personal life and how he came into his chosen profession. Caidin's books are my two least-favorites but they're still enjoyable and they have some great parts.

All 12 are great but McCoy is definately my favorite.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #46
Johan
IndyFan

I remember a year or so back a thread where someone mentioned that they are working on a pdf english version of the books...I guess they gave up
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #47
HovitosKing
IndyFan

The books are always listed on Amazon.com and are really cheap...I would recommend just buying them online rather than trying to download pdf's and print them...but of all the authors I think McCoy's were definitely the best.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #48
Viper
IndyFan

Well, I have all of Martin Caidens and Max McCoy's books, and I'm reading McCoy's, but I noticed a couple errors.

1. McCoy mentions Indy having a .38 Webley (meaning the Mk.4, the only .38 model), but, Indy is traditionally seen with a Webley Mk.6 (.445)
2. I'm not sure if Indy was hiding this, or if McCoy made an error, but in The Secret of the Sphinx, Indy says he was never married, but he was married to Deirdre in one of the books Rob Macgregor wrote, until she died in the very next one.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #49
VP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper
1. McCoy mentions Indy having a .38 Webley (meaning the Mk.4, the only .38 model), but, Indy is traditionally seen with a Webley Mk.6 (.445)

It's .455, and he only carried a Webley in LC. He had a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Hand Ejector 2/Model 1917 with a 4" barrel in RotLA, which IMO is the ultimate Indy weapon.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #50
Viper
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP
It's .455, and he only carried a Webley in LC. He had a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Hand Ejector 2/Model 1917 with a 4" barrel in RotLA, which IMO is the ultimate Indy weapon.
Sorry for the typo, but also in the books I remember him having a .455 in the ones I've read. Also, IMO the S&W isn't as unique as the Webley. Anyway, my point is that he never, with the exception of Max McCoy's books, has the Mk.IV. He can do whatever he wants with that, I guess. Oh well, nevermind.

Last edited by Viper : 11-24-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote