My immigration status

Canyon

As some of you may know, my fiance Michael (Chewbacca Jones) proposed to me in the summer of 2009, and I made the decision to leave my native UK and apply for a K1 Fiance' Visa to move to the US.

It has been a long road, but we are almost there. Late last year, I went for my medical in London and got the all clear, except that, seeing as I had suffered with depression for over ten years, I would need to see a private psychiatrist to get a report done. The report was to basically let the Embassy know that I was not a danger to myself or others, and of course, being here online tells you that I?m not, although, posting here on the Raven might tell you otherwise. :rolleyes: :p

Me and Chewie had planned for several months to attend the 2010 Queen Mary Indy summit, and after months of planning, we did end up going, but it was a bit of touch and go there for a while, as my original visa appointment was for 21st October. Upon speaking to the US Embassy, they told me that I could get the visa changed, as once the visa is issued, it takes seven to ten working days for the passport to be sent back to me. Of course, this date would have landed when me and Mike were due to leave for the QM, and I also realised that if I did get the visa at that time, I would have to entered the US on that visa and get married within those 90 days. The Embassy also told me that as we would have passed our four month application date, Mike would need to send a Notarised Statement of his intent to marry me within 90 days of me entering the US. It?s all fun and games, as my new appointment date was for 2nd December, but, of course, I had to cancel that, as I didn?t have my psychiatrist appointment until 9th December. :rolleyes:

Michael has sent the notarised statement to them and in that time, I had to apply for a new passport, as when I have the interview, there has to be 8 months on the passport, and it would run out this August. I now have a new passport. (y)

I rang the Embassy a few weeks ago and was told that I would need to e-mail them to ask for another appointment, which I was not told when I spoke to them last year. I received a reply a couple of days ago to say that they have now received Mike's notarised statement, and that they would be issuing an appointment soon.

Sorry for rambling on, but as you can see, this has not exactly been a walk in the park. :rolleyes:

Today's update is that I recieved a letter from the US Embassy in London and the date of my visa interview is on March 2nd at 9.00 am! (y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations to you both. (y) I couldn't imagine a better Indyfan couple.

And yeah, government paperwork.... always fun.:rolleyes: I kind of know how that feels. Especially on the unemployment and dole end of things.

It'll work out in the end. It's just happens to be a long winding road in between time.

Sharkey

The wretched refuse of your teeming shores.

All the best on your dream of immigrating to the most blessed best country in the entire world.

If all else fails cross the border with Mexico.

Canyon

Okay, to get this back on track, I have a very important announcement.

Thanks once again for all the well wishes.

Guys, there is no easy way to say this...

...but I'm going to become an American like you guys! (y)

Yes, that's right! I have been approved for my visa! :D

I got it yesterday at the US Embassy in London and it all felt so surreal, like I had dreamed the whole thing. Luckily, I have not.

Well, I have just recently gotten up and I'm telling you, I went out like a light last night. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out cold!

As a suggestion, maybe Violet could delete the non relevant posts, so we can turn this into a celebration thread. :D (y) :whip:

Montana Smith

Canyon said:

Traitor!

Another escapee from the UK encampment goes over the wire!

:p

Seriously, I'm happy for you Canyon, and hope everything is as good, and then even better than you hoped!

:hat:

Mickiana

Congratulations Canyon. I'll be seeing you around that Texas border! Now, where's my map of Australia....?

Finn

Staff member
And once again, the average IQ in the US goes down while Europe goes up.

And The Finn saw that was good.

<small>[Guess which smilie goes here.]</small>

kongisking

Canyon said:
Okay, to get this back on track, I have a very important announcement.

Thanks once again for all the well wishes.

Yes, that's right! I have been approved for my visa! :D

I got it yesterday at the US Embassy in London and it all felt so surreal, like I had dreamed the whole thing. Luckily, I have not.

Well, I have just recently gotten up and I'm telling you, I went out like a light last night. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out cold!

As a suggestion, maybe Violet could delete the non relevant posts, so we can turn this into a celebration thread. :D (y) :whip:

Well frackin done! Good to know another has joined our beloved US of A!

Montana Smith

Finn said:
And once again, the average IQ in the US goes down while Europe goes up.

And The Finn saw that was good.

mwaha.gif

Finn said:
<small>[Guess which smilie goes here.]</small>

FIREdevil.gif

Last edited:

Canyon

Thanks guys for all the well wishes! (y)

Finn, you never change, do you? :rolleyes: At least we now have Violet to keep you in line! :D :whip:

Finn

Staff member
Canyon said:
At least we now have Violet to keep you in line! :D :whip:
Newsflash: Last I checked, I was her boss, not the other way around.

I'm not saying that's a subject immune to change, but for the time being only thing keeping me in line is my conscience. On the moments it gets some breathing room from my ego, I mean.

Stoo

Canyon said:
While I'm happy that you're happy, what's with this? "...like you guys"?:confused: It's an international board and Raven members hail from all sorts of places:

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Croatia
England
Finland
France
Germany
India
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Mexico
Netherlands
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United States of America
Wales
(and more...apologies to those who have been left out.)

+ Outer Space/The Fourth Dimension:p
Chewbacca Jones said:
The power to administer a website is insignificant next to the power of the Finn.:dead:
Chewie, why didn't you move to Bristol?:confused:

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
While I'm happy that you're happy, what's with this? "...like you guys"?:confused: It's an international board and Raven members hail from all sorts of places:

I wondered this too. If they were moving to Finland, that'd be one thing, but the States? That I don't get.

Canyon

I meant no offence. I have posted this on other boards where the members are predominently American. :) Sorry, I meant to change my post, but have been so excited with the news. :hat:

BTW, there are several reasons that Chewie is not moving here. ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Canyon said:
I meant no offence. I have posted this on other boards where the members are predominently American. :) Sorry, I meant to change my post, but have been so excited with the news. :hat:

Now, now, you should know the deadpan tone around here by now...

Welcome to America.