Iron Sky

P Tom

This is an upcoming movie about Nazis from space, 'nuff said without going into spoilers.

Trailer:

mtlf1z.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Hmm. Either this'll be really good or something that makes Ed Wood proud. <Which means it may turn out to be good either way.>

Montana Smith

It's that German Moon Base Alpha conspiracy fiction!

HALF A CENTURY OF THE GERMAN MOON BASE

(1942 - 1992)

The Germans landed on the Moon as early as probably 1942, utilizing their larger exoatmospheric rocket saucers of the Miethe and Schriever type. The Miethe rocket craft was built in diameters if 15 and 50 meters, and the Schriever Walter turbine powered craft was designed as an interplanetary exploration vehicle. It had a diameter of 60 meters, had 10 stories of crew compartments, and stood 45 meters high.

In my extensive research of dissident American theories about the physical conditions on the Moon I have proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is atmosphere, water and vegetation on the Moon, and that man does not need a space suit to walk on the Moon. A pair of jeans, a pullover and sneakers are just about enough. Everything NASA has told the world about the Moon is a lie and it was done to keep the exclusivity of the club from joinings by the third world countries. All these physical conditions make it a lot more easier to build a Moon base.

Ever since their first day of landing on the Moon, the Germans started boring and tunnelling under the surface, and by the end of the war there was a small Nazi research base on the Moon. The free energy tachyon drive craft of the Haunebu-1 and 2 type were used after 1944 to haul people," materiel and the first robots to the construction site on the Moon. When Russians and Americans secretly landed jointly on the Moon in the early fifties with their own saucers, they spent their first night there as guests of the .... Nazi underground base. In the sixties a massive Russian - American base had been built on the Moon, that now has a population of 40,000 people, as the rumour goes. After the end of the war in May 1945, the Germans continued their space effort from their south polar colony of Neu Schwabenland. I have discovered a photograph of their underground space control centre there.

At least the film won't be taking it as seriously as the conspiracy theorists, but it is great material for pulp!

Finn

Staff member
The visual look of this film is certainly... very interesting.

Let's hope the plot and delivery also hit that Mel Brooks-esque comedy drive it's obviously trying to emulate.

And oh yeah, that leading lady Julia Dietze is rather attractive in a quirky kind of manner.

Finn

Staff member
inky_skin said:
I've only embedded a link here and not the image due to the dubious nature of Sunday Sport content.
The original link worked for me. And for what it's worth, at least I don't see anything behind it that could lead to any kind of moderatorial smiting.

Monty here for example is a far worse offender with some of his "Rugged Men" covers...

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Monty here for example is a far worse offender with some of his "Rugged Men" covers...

The Rugged Men mags were higher quality pulp compared to the Sunday Sport. ;)

I like the look of Iron Sky.

is4460450363_46ae80b93a_o-560x373.jpg

is4459313809_f0919d01b1_o.jpg

is4459313531_0891b84b1f_o.jpg

is77926117-504246b0492bc70b146ac882d7724da2_4bae4208-full.jpg

isnaut-590x393.jpg

It's like a Weird War pulp wargame come to life.

00Kevin

Indyfan
really disappointed that this is going to be a silly parody. this would have been a pretty awesome film to see if it was done as a serious, dark suspenseful film

god, i want this to be awesome. but it's gonna suck

Montana Smith

00Kevin said:
really disappointed that this is going to be a silly parody. this would have been a pretty awesome film to see if it was done as a serious, dark suspenseful film

god, i want this to be awesome. but it's gonna suck

Those were my thoughts on seeing the design for the film. It's so close to those Weird War pulp elements that it seems a waste if it's going the Mel Brooks route.

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:

A Finnish sci-fi comedy about Nazis invading Earth has become the most talked-about movie at this year's Berlin Film Festival.

The Independent's Kaleem Aftab has praised Iron Sky, saluting its "over-the-top storytelling at its riotous and enjoyable best".

Yet The Guardian's Andrew Pulver called it "a giant damp squib" that was "not nearly as funny or cruel as its killer premise suggests".

London's Time Out magazine agreed with that assessment, calling it "a crude slapstick romp wholly lacking in charm, wit or excitement".

Doesn't sound like the film is going to live up to the design.

:(

Finn

Staff member
00Kevin said:
this would have been a pretty awesome film to see if it was done as a serious, dark suspenseful film
Dude. It's a film about Nazis who invade Earth after hiding for 80 years in the moon. I'm not saying you can't make a serious film about Nazis since you can and it's been done, but when you have them living on the moon and still relying on WW II technology, I'd say the Downfall approach is pretty much out of the window.

It's more about the format than anything though. If this was, say, a video game instead of a movie - and the visual imagery certainly would be fitting for that - then it might work and even genuinely fall into the crazy awesome category because the visuals and solid gameplay are much more relevant than a story and having it filled with throwaway gags might even be distracting.

Still, this is one of the main reasons why Ed Wood was such hilariously bad filmmaker as he was, as he was completely genre blind. One Take Eddie gave all the plots he was handed the very serious treatment, no matter how outlandish they were.

Going the comedy route is the way to approach this theme, though it remains to be seen whether the type of comedy chosen was all correct. If it's full of hit'n'miss jokes it can still be a bad film, but if you really attempt to present words such as "dark and suspenseful" in this context... hit the floor and give me twenty. Now.

Montana Smith said:
Doesn't sound like the film is going to live up to the design.
What I've heard of it so far, it's more like one of those films that will divide the base between professional and layman opinions. In other words, the critics will hate it but the general audience ends up loving it. I mean, isn't that what that story pretty much implies? It's being talked about so it's definitely causing buzz, a debate if you will. The critical reception is nothing to write home about, but apparently someone out there likes it as well.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Dude. It's a film about Nazis who invade Earth after hiding for 80 years in the moon. I'm not saying you can't make a serious film about Nazis since you can and it's been done, but when you have them living on the moon and still relying on WW II technology, I'd say the Downfall approach is pretty much out of the window.

It's more about the format than anything though. If this was, say, a video game instead of a movie - and the visual imagery certainly would be fitting for that - then it might work and even genuinely fall into the crazy awesome category because the visuals and solid gameplay are much more relevant than a story and having it filled with throwaway gags might even be distracting.

Still, this is one of the main reasons why Ed Wood was such hilariously bad filmmaker as he was, as he was completely genre blind. One Take Eddie gave all the plots he was handed the very serious treatment, no matter how outlandish they were.

Going the comedy route is the way to approach this theme, though it remains to be seen whether the type of comedy chosen was all correct. If it's full of hit'n'miss jokes it can still be a bad film, but if you really attempt to present words such as "dark and suspenseful" in this context... hit the floor and give me twenty. Now.

What I've heard of it so far, it's more like one of those films that will divide the base between professional and layman opinions. In other words, the critics will hate it but the general audience ends up loving it. I mean, isn't that what that story pretty much implies? It's being talked about so it's definitely causing buzz, a debate if you will. The critical reception is nothing to write home about, but apparently someone out there likes it as well.

It's a little like the ROTLA situation, which is a film you can invest in, even though it plays with history. It's a case of pushing the limits from a flying wing in 1936 to space travel within ten years. A what if scenario.

German Moonbase Alpha was originally a way out conspiracy theory, but it became perfect pulp territory. I know where 00Kevin is coming from, as the film could have been as serious in tone as ROTLA rose to on occasion.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
It's a little like the ROTLA situation, which is a film you can invest in, even though it plays with history. It's a case of pushing the limits from a flying wing in 1936 to space travel within ten years. A what if scenario.

German Moonbase Alpha was originally a way out conspiracy theory, but it became perfect pulp territory. I know where 00Kevin is coming from, as the film could have been as serious in tone as ROTLA rose to on occasion.
You have a point there. It's just that arguing for a film like that is a moot point, considering it could not have been made from the current historical context.

Kurt Vonnegut once said in reference to his famous novel Slaughterhouse Five that to "give a serious approach to a subject, you'll have to learn to laugh at it first".

Now, this is technically a German film. The director and key production crew are Finnish, but it was made with German money and most of the cast are actual Germans. Which makes this pretty much the first German film in existence where Nazis are not represented either as fully demonized entities or in tragic light.

There was a comment from a random German moviegoer who had just seen Iron Sky which pretty much summed it up: "I view this film as a sign of us finally making peace with our history."

Despite this all, I don't mean to imply it's a larger-than-life movie. It's a small-budget comedy romp which apparently had its origins in a silly little throwaway gag being presented in a drunken sauna party. But it's still a step that needs to be taken before the film you and Kev here pine after can be made.

This concludes Dr. Finn's history lesson today. For the next time, read chapter six of Michaelson, chapter four of Darwin and chapter seven of Törhönen. If you need to see me, I'll be in my office during the regular hours. And if the dog ate the new copy you acquired as well, bring the dog.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
You have a point there. It's just that arguing for a film like that is a moot point, considering it could not have been made from the current historical context.

Kurt Vonnegut once said in reference to his famous novel Slaughterhouse Five that to "give a serious approach to a subject, you'll have to learn to laugh at it first".

Now, this is technically a German film. The director and key production crew are Finnish, but it was made with German money and most of the cast are actual Germans. Which makes this pretty much the first German film in existence where Nazis are not represented either as fully demonized entities or in tragic light.

There was a comment from a random German moviegoer who had just seen Iron Sky which pretty much summed it up: "I view this film as a sign of us finally making peace with our history."

Despite this all, I don't mean to imply it's a larger-than-life movie. It's a small-budget comedy romp which apparently had its origins are in a silly little throwaway gag being presented in a drunken sauna party. But it's still a step that needs to be taken before the film you and Kev here pine after can be made.

I see that now, knowing the German aspect to it.

Finn said:
This concludes Dr. Finn's history lesson today. For the next time, read chapter six of Michaelson, chapter four of Darwin and chapter seven of Törhönen. If you need to see me, I'll be in my office during the regular hours. And if the dog ate the new copy you acquired as well, bring the dog.

That's a lot of reading. Attila never gives us that much. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

00Kevin

Indyfan
That's interesting about the quote where the Germans? come to peace with their past and makes sense. But I'm still standing by my previous statement. Despite that comment there is no case strong enough compelling me to see the film. Considering how many films I watch, and the fact that I enjoy WW2 films, conspiracy films, sci-fi and comedies... Theoretically I should be in the right demographic for this film, but I?m turned off by it. Ok, maybe this film is intended for Germans, but there was a chance to do something really special with this film and the trailer implies a very childish humor level.

Maybe I?m just too mature (finn, fellow raveners; did you ever think such words would spark from these fingertips?) but I find the whole thing about the sarah palin lookalike to be a low and rather cheap trick. Rather than create their own unique, memorable character they recycle one from pop culture. And the humor, again, seems to exist on a five-year-old?s level level. To me this whole situation is the equivelant to? you come up with the great idea to do a story about 300 spartans fighting an endless barrage of Persian warriors, but rather than making ?300? you make ?Meet the Spartans?. This film just looks like an ultra low class version of a great film. perhaps i'm also offended that sarah palin has become the spokesperson for my country?

This is such a great concept to make a film, I think Nazis are the best movie villains and bringing in a slightly futuristic, sci-fi element creates a great opportunity to do something special. I would have liked a strong world leader (not necessarily an American) and a strong Nazi leader play a veritable mind game over the course of the film. Maybe it?s a cultural thing, maybe I?ve just grown out of it, but I, who should be interested in this film, am not because of (in my opinion) shortcomings in quality and creative decisions.

And I?ve seen more outlandish ideas used as serious films all the time, a great filmmaker is able to make the audience believe the world they have been placed in, and be willing to accept these rules. Is Nazis having a moon base any more ridiculous than god?s wrath being unleashed by the opening of a box? Let?s say I go back to young Steven Spielberg and convince him to do a film about the Nazis having a secret moon base and they invade earth. I think he would make that film with a lot higher quality than what we?re seeing right now. I?m looking for a film with fresh ideas, a unique world, but done in a believable and high-quality fashion.

Sorry, that was a lot longer than I had hoped. haha

Stoo

00Kevin said:
To me this whole situation is the equivelant to? you come up with the great idea to do a story about 300 spartans fighting an endless barrage of Persian warriors, but rather than making ?300? you make ?Meet the Spartans?. This film just looks like an ultra low class version of a great film.
With all due respect, 00Kevin, the situation is not equivalent because, "300", is based on a true story (and had already been made into a movie back in 1962 as "The 300 Spartans").;) The same cannot be said for "Iron Sky".
00Kevin said:
This is such a great concept to make a film, I think Nazis are the best movie villains and bringing in a slightly futuristic, sci-fi element creates a great opportunity to do something special.
---
I?m looking for a film with fresh ideas, a unique world, but done in a believable and high-quality fashion.
Then, maybe this other film would be more to your liking: Frankenstein's Army

Notice that my thread was created over 9 months ago but has (thus far) received *0* replies. Could this be an indicator that most Raven members have no interest in a non-humorous, grim & gritty, sci-fi film about Nazis?:confused:

P.S. Awhile back, I was going to start a thread about, "Iron Sky", but decided not to with the confidence that someone else eventually would...Sure enough, here it is a half a year later!:)

Finn

Staff member
00Kevin said:
That's interesting about the quote where the Germans’ come to peace with their past and makes sense. But I'm still standing by my previous statement. Despite that comment there is no case strong enough compelling me to see the film. Considering how many films I watch, and the fact that I enjoy WW2 films, conspiracy films, sci-fi and comedies... Theoretically I should be in the right demographic for this film, but I’m turned off by it. Ok, maybe this film is intended for Germans, but there was a chance to do something really special with this film and the trailer implies a very childish humor level.
Sounds like you've written it off (without seeing it, obviously) simply because you think this should have been a "serious" film. That's one way to go I guess, but I think I'll wait 'til I've actually seen it so I can judge whether it was, you know, good or bad comedy.

Oh, and as far as "those" words go, I'm immensely happy and impressed that you've managed to convince yourself you're a grownup. It's a big and crucial step for a person's development. What follows is the hard part however: Convincing the world.

Stoo said:
P.S. Awhile back, I was going to start a thread about, "Iron Sky", but decided not to with the confidence that someone else eventually would...Sure enough, here it is a half a year later!
Likewise, and figured the same. Also wanted to avoid any homerism charges.