Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Cole

Lonsome_Drifter said:
It was cut differently. That was my favorite part of the trailer, and when I first seen the movie it lost some of it's impact.
It looks like it might've been a completely different take altogether........nonetheless, it's still a classic line - one of my favorites from all the Indy films. I don't know if Koepp wrote all of it, but the film definitely has a lot of wit in it it - lines that really leave you grinning.

-"Come on, genious."
-"I'd cover my ears if I were you."
-"If you want to be a good archeologist, you gotta get out of the library!"
-"They weren't you, honey."

...among many other moments.

TennesseBuck

Indy's brother said:
I'll be honest, I didn't search the last 9 pages to see if this was brought up or not. It's kind of an obvious thing, but in the beginning when Mac betrays Indy and says, "I can't go home empty-handed again," it was a nice little nod to the fact that Dr. Jones rarely gets to keep his prize.

Also, It was kind of cool that the stuff they were "digging in the dirt" for when they were captured was boring clay pots....more like what a real archaeologist would typically be unearthing instead of some grand treasure. This is a great allusion to the older, more boring Indy that got "woken up" by the events of KOTCS.

Thanks for bringing that up about the clay pots...perhaps searching for clay pots is all Indy wanted to do, though he still feels the need to bring his whip along but not his gun or holster for that matter. Few people bring up the importance of that scene because it shows Indy has changed - fortune and glory are not his motivations anymore.

What I love about Mac is that he is in it for the money, that is it. He is the greediest of all Indy foes...at least Belloq possessed an interest in seeing the Ark open, not necessarily in selling it since he had to deliver it to Hitler. And Irina wants to know everything...whether or not she wants the prize is unclear since she makes no effort to be taken in by all the gold, only the skull.

TennesseBuck

Team Indy said:
Yeah...

For starters, Marion came back, and their relationship was exactly how they left it twenty years ago.

It would've been nice if Marion said, "Listen, Mac, if you try any moves on me..." and George said, "...That's my name. Mac. George 'Mac'Hale," but time was limited.

Marion constantly screaming for Indy and trying to persuade Indy to snap out of any stupidity Indy was having.

Marion's overall awesomeness. She didn't age a day from the 1930s.

Indiana Jones's character wasn't ruined. It was exactly the same as in the original trilogy, except he's much older, beaten, and weathered.

I think the entire movie was a throwback to the original trilogy because the movie played out like the final installment in an epic adventure.

I would have loved it if Marion and Irina had a fight scene of some kind...thought it was going to happen when they were in the same vehicle.

TennesseBuck

1.) The haunting moment when we hear on the Howdy Doody show the sing-along to the line, "It's time...to go!" just before Indy hears the siren in Doomtown. The siren sound is similar to what is heard in the crystal skeleton chamber room.

2.) Love the close-up shot of the spinning wheel in the drag race, nicely reflects the spinning UFO we see at the end.

3.) The music that swells up with Marion's theme when Indy says, "They weren't you honey!" In theatres with Dolby surround sound, it is a sheerly emotional moment for us Marion fans.

4.) We finally see what Dean Stanforth's wife looks like at the end in the wedding scene (or at least I assume). Also love the line by Oxley that some much time is lost in waiting (like us fans waiting for an Indy 4).

I am working on a film analysis of that film and there is much more to love and discuss in Crystal Skull.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Here's a great little tidbit I just came across. So you know that bit from Milton that Oxley quotes, "to lay their just hands on that golden key / that opes the palace of eternity"? It's from Milton's "Comus," or "A Masque Presented at Ludlow Castle, 1634." The lines surrounding those quoted in the film, with some of the more the intriguingly relevant bits bolded for emphasis:

John Milton said:
Before the starry threshold of Jove's court
My mansion is, where those immortal shapes
Of bright aërial spirits
live ensphered
In regions mild of calm and serene air,
Above the smoke and stir of this dim spot,
Which men call earth
, and with low-thoughted care
Confined and pestered in this pinhold here,
Strive to keep up a frail and feverish being
Unmindful of the crown that Virtue gives
After this mortal change
, to her true servants
Amongst the enthroned gods on sainted seats.
Yet some there be that by due steps aspire
To lay their just hands on that golden key
That opes the palace of eternity:
To such my errand is, and but for such,
I would not soil with these pure ambrosial weeds
With the rank vapors of this sin-worn mold.

indyswk

Indy running on the support beams above the warehouse while the russians are below shooting.

This scene is my favorite and among the coolest scenes. It would've been more awesome if I hadn't seen it in a trailer before that as a surprise.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Here's a great little tidbit I just came across. So you know that bit from Milton that Oxley quotes, "to lay their just hands on that golden key / that opes the palace of eternity"? It's from Milton's "Comus," or "A Masque Presented at Ludlow Castle, 1634." The lines surrounding those quoted in the film, with some of the more the intriguingly relevant bits bolded for emphasis:

Great quote from Milton, Attilla. Very fitting.

Ludlow is just a few miles north of where I live, and for anyone interested in castles, I'd highly recommend a visit as it's very much intact. Ludlow itself is a really interestingly place, full of architectural gems.

EDIT: why is the size adjustment setting no longer working? I tried to minimize the above paragraph, to "1".

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Great quote from Milton, Attilla. Very fitting.

Ludlow is just a few miles north of where I live, and for anyone interested in castles, I'd highly recommend a visit as it's very much intact. Ludlow itself is a really interestingly place, full of architectural gems.

EDIT: why is the size adjustment setting no longer working? I tried to minimize the above paragraph, to "1".

It is minimized, in my reading...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Something that might have boded well to elaborate on, but a great inclusion...

Indeed. I was surprised, in fact, to see that the novelization doesn't seem to expand on the quoted lines anymore than the film does. As it stands now, it's more or less piece of foreshadowing dependent on a Milton scholar with a good memory to be watching the film.

Still though...seems to bolster my occasional view that KotCS is the most self-consciously intellectualized of the films. Surprised they didn't make more of that. Or maybe Koepp never told George and Steven.

JP Jones

Cole said:
It looks like it might've been a completely different take altogether........nonetheless, it's still a classic line - one of my favorites from all the Indy films. I don't know if Koepp wrote all of it, but the film definitely has a lot of wit in it it - lines that really leave you grinning.

-"Come on, genious."
-"I'd cover my ears if I were you."
-"If you want to be a good archeologist, you gotta get out of the library!"
-"They weren't you, honey."

...among many other moments.
I think this is something a lot of people overlook. The dialogue was really enjoyable. Very Indy-esque quotes and very funny, entertaining scenes like the "For the love of God." scene.:D

DeepSixFix

TennesseBuck said:
perhaps searching for clay pots is all Indy wanted to do, though he still feels the need to bring his whip along but not his gun or holster for that matter.
I imagined it as the Russians had taken his gun and holster--along with the whip--in Mexico, but who knows?

Willie

The scene where Indy is fighting one of the Russians near the red ant hill. He loses his hat in the fight, the red ants eat the Russian and Indy gets his hat back. A classic! I laughed out loud when I watched that. ;) :D

Cole

Willie said:
The scene where Indy is fighting one of the Russians near the red ant hill. He loses his hat in the fight, the red ants eat the Russian and Indy gets his hat back. A classic! I laughed out loud when I watched that. ;) :D
Definitely a classic moment!! Surprised nobody ever mentions this scene...