Why does everyone hate Temple Of Doom?

Matt deMille said:
See, many films since Crusade have had better..."desert-tank fights".
Ummm, how many films have had better "desert-tank fights"? Goldeneye jumped to mind as a tank chase, but you're pretty specific with the whole desert setting...which films since 1989 had better desert -tank fights?:confused:

Darth Vile

Matt deMille said:
But one critical element that made Indy-action exciting in Raiders and then especially in Temple wasn't its pace, editing, camera-work, or anything else that has "evolved" with film-making: It was the locales, the situations, their unique nature.

So I agree that at their very worst, the majority of Indy set pieces are very imaginative. However, how that set piece/action scene is actually put together is crucial. TOD was the last Spielberg movie where he was influencing the way action movies were made. He was surpassed (IMHO) shortly after 1984, when younger/brighter directors started to take the lead. IMHO, the only real thing that elevates TOD above its contemporaries are the action scenes (which at the time) where ahead of the curve. I don't think the action sequences in TOD have dated particularly well too. The only one that still stands up is the rope bridge scene... again IMHO.

Matt deMille said:
See, many films since Crusade have had better "motorcycle chases" and "desert-tank fights". But NOBODY has had cutting a rope bridge or a roller-coaster mine-car. Some have danced with it (like the short mine-cart sequence under Alcatraz in The Rock), but as soon as they go there, audiences know they're borrowing from Indy, and it's they're held to the Indy-standard which, even to this day, people can't seem to compete with (an over-reliance on CGI is the main culprit). The originality of Raiders' and Temple's action set-pieces will forever keep them fresh and exciting.

I think it's easy to get sucked into the rose tinted specs view of the world. There are many movies (IMHO) that have surpassed Indiana Jones in the action stakes... and many of the action scenes from the original Indy movies look as dated to new audiences now as Goldfinger or The Magnificent Seven did when I was a kid. Things change. That of course doesn't take away from the fact that Raiders is still a dammed fine movie, and that at the time, TOD was setting the standard for action movies too. But things do move on.

Matt deMille said:
That's where Crusade and Kingdom really missed their mark. Kingdom had *some* originality there, such as the Warehouse 51 stuff and the fight in the Peruvian Cemetery (cool design of a place to have a cat-and-mouse fight in), but the jungle chase was "just another road" as far as action movies go. Could have been cooler if there was a unique place for the fighting, like a really narrow cliff (common in Peru), or maybe if the chase spilled into the river and they fought as their vehicles were being dragged towards the waterfalls.
Again, I think it's more a case of Spielberg not evolving/progressing his technique for action movies. It's a bit like Paul McCartney trying to recapture the sound of The Beatles i.e. fine in the 60's/70's, but dated/passe in 2010.

Matt deMille

Very true, DV. Very good points.

I guess I tend to favor an older style of film-making. I watch more old movies in the theaters than new ones. There are indeed changes in moviemaking going on all the time. I guess I just don't personally agree that changes are for the better.

For action in particular, I think changes have been for the worst as well as the better, actually. In Hollywood's increasingly desperate bid to outdo its competitors (and even its own products of yesteryear), with action movies of the last decade or two I think we've mostly got quicker-cuts, shakier cameras and bigger explosions. The best example of that is Bayformers. Both of them. I just couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I got lost in those shows.

However, I think your points are still very valid indeed. Spielberg did plateau when it came to innovation of action. And many action movies did surpass what he did. Some examples of quality improvement to action movies post '84 would be (IMHO) Die Hard, Predator, and more recently Kick-Ass. But these weren't faster or bigger to be "better" (I know that's not what you were saying -- I'm just speaking more broadly), but they were better in subtle ways, like the geography of the building in Die Hard to amp up the action, or the brutally real but all the same silly situations of Kick-Ass.

I think Spielberg gave everyone a boost, and then things went in different directions. Some action movies became better, but some became worse.

But then, with improvements like Predator and Die Hard, these were pre-Crusade. Since Crusade was geared up to be more of an action movie than the thought-provoking Raiders or the darksomely wondrous Temple, one would think Spielberg would have made a better action movie, but he didn't. He made more of a character-comedy and seemed to do the action by-the-numbers.

So, in a very roundabout way, I agree with you.

indyswk

Montana Smith said:
I would never have said that TOD was the "only"' cartoon-like Indy movie. TOD, TLC and KOTCS are all more overtly cartoony than ROTLA. Raiders had its moments, but TOD took Indy firmly down the Roadrunner route.

And neither do I see it as a problem - except when it gets to KOTCS when the cartoon takes over an even more dominant role.

Like I said, the question was not aimed directly at you, I'm just asking why in general ToD was getting comments for that when others had it, just happened to quote your post since that reminded me of the question. I think we are in agreement with each other regarding the topic.

Btw, in my opinion the plane going through the tunnel sequence had more Road Runner to it than the other movies.

Sharkey said:
Unfair? Did you read the title of the thread before you typed up your thesis?

First off, the things that you mention as cartoony in Raiders aren't. Marion grabs somehing to defend herself with and does. Temple has the guard toss a sledgehammer and it lands on someone's head. Maybe the difference is that TEMPLE is stupid cartoony.

Ok, Raiders had cartoon moments is my opinion. Personally in some parts of Cairo fight it seemed cartoon to me. Music helped too. If you think it isn't then that's fine. It's just my opinion.

Last Crusade takes the stupid ideas and ToD "comedy" style and runs with it. Skull goes further with the nut shots. They don't even try to hide the stupidity.

There, we agree. Raiders stood out with less or no cartoon than usual, depending on your view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

indyswk said:
Like I said, the question was not aimed directly at you, I'm just asking why in general ToD was getting comments for that when others had it, just happened to quote your post since that reminded me of the question. I think we are in agreement with each other regarding the topic.

No worries. I was just setting out my answer to the question. :hat:

indyswk said:
Btw, in my opinion the plane going through the tunnel sequence had more Road Runner to it than the other movies.

I'd say it was the equivalant of the mine cart jumping the gap. Except that the 'plane was funnier, especially with the look from the pilot!

indyswk said:
Ok, Raiders had cartoon moments is my opinion. Personally in some parts of Cairo fight it seemed cartoon to me. Music helped too. If you think it isn't then that's fine. It's just my opinion.

Marion and the frying pan was almost the equivalent of TOD's sledgehammer on the head.

Generally the overt cartoon element was played down in ROTLA. It was more slapstick. Yet, ROTLA set out the direction in which Indy films were going. It was full of humour with mildly absurd moments, which developed into humour with much more absurdity. The rolling boulder of ROTLA gradually evolves into the flying fridge of KOTCS. I find these absurdly funny, and something that can be rationalized, or normalized, in Indy-verse. Yet, where TOD limited the moments, KOTCS presented a succession of even grander absurdities.

Darth Vile

Matt deMille said:
I guess I tend to favor an older style of film-making. I watch more old movies in the theaters than new ones. There are indeed changes in moviemaking going on all the time. I guess I just don't personally agree that changes are for the better.

For action in particular, I think changes have been for the worst as well as the better, actually. In Hollywood's increasingly desperate bid to outdo its competitors (and even its own products of yesteryear), with action movies of the last decade or two I think we've mostly got quicker-cuts, shakier cameras and bigger explosions. The best example of that is Bayformers. Both of them. I just couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I got lost in those shows.

Don?t get me wrong? I?m not stating that more contemporary equates to better (as most of it doesn?t), and I firmly believe that something like Transformers is the antithesis of Raiders and indeed TOD (although one could argue that TOD and Return of the Jedi are responsible for the template that modern Hollywood action movies use). But as with most artistic mediums, it?s usually the younger/less established artists that are best placed to take a different approach to expression (for both good and bad). The net result is that established techniques/styles soon become dated as Hollywood continues to consume/absorb its competition and attempts to reflect contemporary ?culture? through its output. Again, this isn?t necessarily about good or bad, but more about the natural evolution of modern western cinema (as it?s broadly the same process that gave us Star Wars and Raiders).

So in a round about way I?m saying that at the very worst, the Indy movies increasingly became less contemporary, as external style/methods of executing action sequences changed, which made Indy movies (by comparison) look old fashioned. However, the set pieces/action scenes from all three original movies still remain well conceived and expertly crafted? and that?s regardless of how out of date they may appear. One of the challenges w KOTCS was that by attempting to keep it traditional, it was copying a style that was circa 20 years out of date.

Montana Smith said:
Marion and the frying pan was almost the equivalent of TOD's sledgehammer on the head.

Generally the overt cartoon element was played down in ROTLA. It was more slapstick. Yet, ROTLA set out the direction in which Indy films were going. It was full of humour with mildly absurd moments, which developed into humour with much more absurdity. The rolling boulder of ROTLA gradually evolves into the flying fridge of KOTCS. I find these absurdly funny, and something that can be rationalized, or normalized, in Indy-verse. Yet, where TOD limited the moments, KOTCS presented a succession of even grander absurdities.

I agree with your general sentiment Montana i.e. distinguishing Raiders from the other 3. Although for me, it?s TOD that is still the worst offender by some margin. KOTCS at the very least, attempts to ground the movie in a sense of reality (be it heightened), by pursuing the more reflective moments? be that in the rather sobering scenes between Indy and Dean Stanforth, or the asylum scenes, Orellana?s tomb or even the scene between Indy and Spalko in the tent (all great Indy moments IMHO). Whereas, in TOD, virtually every key moment has some form of visual gag underpinning events e.g. the camp fire scene, or more annoyingly for me, misplaced jokey dialogue e.g. ?that no fortune cookie?, ?Pass me your hat? I?m gonna puke in it? etc. etc.

I do believe that TOD is infinitely more violent than KOTCS, but again the violence on display is tonally closer to Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and Tom and Jerry, than it is to anything representing the reality of violence. And it?s for those reasons I find TOD less believable and more excessive in terms of absurdity? simply because it never really attempts to ground the movie in any reality (other than the reality of a cartoon or comic). Conversely, it?s for those reasons that TOD is probably the closest Indy movie to a live action comic. So perhaps TOD is more true to its pulp origins than Raiders ever was? That said? ?It doesn?t mean you have to like it?.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I agree with your general sentiment Montana i.e. distinguishing Raiders from the other 3. Although for me, it’s TOD that is still the worst offender by some margin. KOTCS at the very least, attempts to ground the movie in a sense of reality (be it heightened), by pursuing the more reflective moments… be that in the rather sobering scenes between Indy and Dean Stanforth, or the asylum scenes, Orellana’s tomb or even the scene between Indy and Spalko in the tent (all great Indy moments IMHO). Whereas, in TOD, virtually every key moment has some form of visual gag underpinning events e.g. the camp fire scene, or more annoyingly for me, misplaced jokey dialogue e.g. “that no fortune cookie”, “Pass me your hat… I’m gonna puke in it” etc. etc.

That's another way of looking at them. I would take what you wrote, and categorize it like this:

KOTCS attempted to ground itself with reflective, meaningful moments.

KOTCS also reminds us repeatedly that it's not grounded in the world we live in.

TOD was full-on, with little time for reflection, or for meaningful characters.

TOD is also a living nightmare for Indy. The humour is laughing in the face of horror. We are also reminded repeatedly that this nightmare world isn't the world we live in.

Darth Vile said:
I do believe that TOD is infinitely more violent than KOTCS, but again the violence on display is tonally closer to Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and Tom and Jerry, than it is to anything representing the reality of violence. And it’s for those reasons I find TOD less believable and more excessive in terms of absurdity… simply because it never really attempts to ground the movie in any reality (other than the reality of a cartoon or comic).

But when you transpose humans into the roles of cartoon characters, and subject them to the same types of violence, it becomes horrific at some level, even if we're encouraged to laugh at it. Something that just occurred to me from your mention of Tom and Jerry, was the notion of cartoon skinning. Instances where Tom gets skinned, by some contraption or other, are replicated by the human skins in the Thuggee temple. It would be quite a sick joke, if that was the inspiration for them.

To me, the absurdities in TOD are more horrific, as they play with our sense of morality. TOD resembles a Hieronymous Bosch vision of hell.

KOTCS approaches this with Dovchenko's horrific demise, being carried away by the army of ants. Yet, for the most part this film is concerned with the playful absurdities of the fridge, the waterfalls, the snake-rope, the vine-swinging.

Maybe this doesn't make much sense, as TOD still calls to me on a nostaligic level far more than the more recent KOTCS.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
That's another way of looking at them. I would take what you wrote, and categorize it like this:

KOTCS attempted to ground itself with reflective, meaningful moments.

KOTCS also reminds us repeatedly that it's not grounded in the world we live in.

TOD was full-on, with little time for reflection, or for meaningful characters.

TOD is also a living nightmare for Indy. The humour is laughing in the face of horror. We are also reminded repeatedly that this nightmare world isn't the world we live in.

But when you transpose humans into the roles of cartoon characters, and subject them to the same types of violence, it becomes horrific at some level, even if we're encouraged to laugh at it. Something that just occurred to me from your mention of Tom and Jerry, was the notion of cartoon skinning. Instances where Tom gets skinned, by some contraption or other, are replicated by the human skins in the Thuggee temple. It would be quite a sick joke, if that was the inspiration for them.

To me, the absurdities in TOD are more horrific, as they play with our sense of morality. TOD resembles a Hieronymous Bosch vision of hell.

KOTCS approaches this with Dovchenko's horrific demise, being carried away by the army of ants. Yet, for the most part this film is concerned with the playful absurdities of the fridge, the waterfalls, the snake-rope, the vine-swinging.

Maybe this doesn't make much sense, as TOD still calls to me on a nostaligic level far more than the more recent KOTCS.

I respect what you state, although personally I find it difficult to believe that there is anything below the surface of TOD (apart from what we may want to create to give it more significance). Yep - I agree, nostalgia plays a part for both good and bad. As much as I may lambaste TOD, I still have a soft spot for it because I was a kid when it came out, and even though it didn't connect for me in the same way as Raiders did (and Star Wars/TESB), it was still Indiana Jones iconography at its zenith i.e. it was good time to be an Indy 'fan'.

Perhaps we can afford to be more objective about KOTCS simply because we're viewing the movie through the eyes of an adult... after all, in my experience, most of those I know who are into Indy and Star Wars movies, were first exposed to them as a child. As great as the movies genuinely are, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between our emotional connections and an objective critique. In the end, it's simply about wether you can enjoy watching it.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I respect what you state, although personally I find it difficult to believe that there is anything below the surface of TOD (apart from what we may want to create to give it more significance).

That's just it. TOD, with its visceral brutality, cursory characters and bleakness, diverged from ROTLA, giving us, in the process, the Indy that Belloq was describing in 1936.

Darth Vile said:
Yep - I agree, nostalgia plays a part for both good and bad. As much as I may lambaste TOD, I still have a soft spot for it because I was a kid when it came out, and even though it didn't connect for me in the same way as Raiders did (and Star Wars/TESB), it was still Indiana Jones iconography at its zenith i.e. it was good time to be an Indy 'fan'.

Perhaps we can afford to be more objective about KOTCS simply because we're viewing the movie through the eyes of an adult... after all, in my experience, most of those I know who are into Indy and Star Wars movies, were first exposed to them as a child. As great as the movies genuinely are, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between our emotional connections and an objective critique. In the end, it's simply about wether you can enjoy watching it.

Too true. There isn't a right or a wrong way to see these films. Only our own personal way. All our differences make the Raven the lively place it often is nowadays!

:hat:

Faleel

anybody complaining about the heartripping scene should look at the Opening the Ark scene from Raiders and the answer will become clear

Montana Smith

Faleel said:
anybody complaining about the heartripping scene should look at the Opening the Ark scene from Raiders and the answer will become clear

My only complaint about the heart ripping would be that the UK version got censored.

The scene in TOD doesn't compare to the opening of the Ark, since there's no moral justification in TOD. Killing the 'puppets' in ROTLA was intended to be justice, a moment for the audience to finally cheer at the villains' demise.

Faleel

Montana Smith said:
My only complaint about the heart ripping would be that the UK version got censored.

The scene in TOD doesn't compare to the opening of the Ark, since there's no moral justification in TOD. Killing the 'puppets' in ROTLA was intended to be justice, a moment for the audience to finally cheer at the villains' demise.

the main complaint with the heartripping scene (that i've heard) is that its gory/gorey (sp?) which if you compare with the Ark scene seems clean in comparison IMHO

Montana Smith

Faleel said:
the main complaint with the heartripping scene (that i've heard) is that its gory/gorey (sp?) which if you compare with the Ark scene seems clean in comparison IMHO

It's fittingly gory in the full cut for a film that plunges into a black underworld, which is the impression I have of TOD. The real horror of it is that it's inflicted on a victim that, as far as we know, is innocent. It's a shock in a family film, and is a scene that reminds me of Toht in the Raven, only there's nobody to save the victim this time around.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
That's an interesting point, did they edit the ark scene in any way?

Not specifically for the UK, that I know of. But didn't they add flames in front of Belloq's face for general release?

Montana Smith said:
Not specifically for the UK, that I know of. But didn't they add flames in front of Belloq's face for general release?
Yes, the same way they did for the sacrificial victim as he's lowered into the lava...

The ILM Curtain of Flames

I like the Temple of Doom....The Minecart chase and the Bridge fight are awesome...but I kinda know what he means.......Like the whole sacrifice part was kinda ew......:sick: .....but I think the movie is great!(y)

Faleel

EgyptianPharaoh said:
I like the Temple of Doom....The Minecart chase and the Bridge fight are awesome...but I kinda know what he means.......Like the whole sacrifice part was kinda ew......:sick: .....but I think the movie is great!(y)

i thought more intense (in a good way) than "ewww" the sacrifice music is even better than its "successors" Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes
in fact im going to have a composer write me some alternate music in the style of "Sanskrit Sacrifice" for that duel (AvO) for a rescore

Matt deMille

Ran across this today:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46591

Makes an interesting observation, that Spielberg put a lot of himself into "1941". Well, Spielberg is fond of saying there isn't any of himself in Temple of Doom. So, I offer this as food for thought: If a lot of himself made a bad movie, could not a lack of himself make a good movie? Now, certainly I'm not saying Spielberg's essence makes a film bad. He's one of the greatest moviemakers of all time! I'm just saying that his disclaimer of there being "nothing of himself" in Temple is sometimes cited as confirmation that it's "bad", but by that same logic, 1941 should have been great, right?

Again, it's just food for thought.

Willie

I really like ToD. It's my favorite of all the Indiana Jones films. I was watching it this evening and enjoyed it from start to finish. I really had to chuckle at the scene where Willie has changed out of her torn dress into Indy's shirt and pants and is riding on the back of the elephant and then the elephant throws her off and she says "I can't go to Pankot! I'm a "singer!" very, very funny! :D and the chase in the mines, oh, what a roller coaster ride that was. ;)