new Indy Answer from Hasbro

MISSOURI JONES

i want the line to continue as well but until hasbro does a purging of existing product to make room for new we will have this glut of extra stuff on the shelves.
i seem to remember the stores in the past doing just that on star wars.

bgiles73

I'm beging to think Hasbro has there heads too far in the sand. Fans of Star Wars have been asking for a new Millenium Falcon for years. Hasbro said that because the Queen's ship from Phantom Menace eventually had to be discounted, that the M.F. or any Death Star playsets would do the same. Now they are saying that they don't want to do anything unless it is iconic. So where is the logic in giving us a "Temple of Akator" playset that looks nothing like the temple featured in the movie? Give us "The Temple of Doom", "The Idol Temple" or "The Well of Souls" already. :mad:

bonoferox

I say we just set a day aside where we all buy 2 or 3 indiana jones figures (whether we have them or not).
It's worked in the past when fans of the series Firefly made a date where everyone bought a copy of Serenity and the result was the movie hitting number two on the amazon.com sales chart that day as well as a pretty nice collector's edition released later on with possible plans for future films.

Just a thought and theory. Could work. Might not.

HovitosKing

bonoferox said:
I say we just set a day aside where we all buy 2 or 3 indiana jones figures (whether we have them or not).
It's worked in the past when fans of the series Firefly made a date where everyone bought a copy of Serenity and the result was the movie hitting number two on the amazon.com sales chart that day as well as a pretty nice collector's edition released later on with possible plans for future films.

No f---ing way am I letting Hasbro extort money out of me like that. I have too much dignity to go running around spending gas money on Indiana Jones action figures I already own or don't want, because they said that if I don't they'll stop making more. Hasbro can go f--- itself. And where the hell is my crystal skeleton?

indyclone25

i was at two targets and a toys r us that don't have sh@t for indy action figures and they haven't put any up in weeks --------- but they have already restocked the sh@tload of pegs that were emptied when toys r us opened at midnight on the clone wars toys , c',mon hasbro i know that star wars is the meat and potatos of the company but we need dessert too,

DarthMickey

agreed! Stop telling us what we want and give us what we really want. Those folks at Hasbro aren't really that smart. Akatar Playset! Are you kidding me! This thing is going to clearence I positively guarantee it! Now if they just simply reissued the Map room or well of souls playsets they would have sold out! :gun:

Dr.Sartorius

HovitosKing said:
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN2143472820080721?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0I guess we have to face it...there was a lot of Indy interest before the film opened. KotCS killed people's interest in the action figures.

Yeah, that's why the movie will end up making almost $800 million at the worldwide box office. Sorry, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that's why Indy figures aren't flying off the shelves.

Meanwhile this article says Indiana Jones toys are contributing to a boost in Hasbro sales:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN2143472820080721?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Last edited:

FILMKRUSC

Dr.Sartorius said:
Yeah, that's why the movie will end up making almost $800 million at the worldwide box office. Sorry, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean that's why Indy figures aren't flying off the shelves.

Meanwhile this article says Indiana Jones toys are contributing to a boost in Hasbro sales:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN2143472820080721?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

It made $800 million worldwide because a lot of people including myself was looking forward to a new Indiana Jones film so we went and paid admission to it. Unfortunately we got KOTCS instead.

Targets, Walmarts, and TRUs in my area are still sitting with their Indy area full of the same Indy figures they've had for weeks. Not selling well at all.
I've yet to see any kids interested in the toys.

While I like the Indy toys (hated the movie), I'm starting to think this line may die off early unfortunately.

ChromiumBlue37

Thanks for posting the link to that article, Dr. Sartorius. I heard about Hasbro's quarterly earnings with help from the Indy line on the radio and was beaming.

Retailers are at fault for the product that is sitting on the pegs. Yes, Hasbro is contributing to the Mutt pegwarmers, but retailers should do more to promote these toys. Endcap displays and oh, dare I say it, a sale???

For those of us action figure-collecting veterans may remember the near-death of the Hasbro Star Wars line back in 1999 and 2000. The Phantom Menace toys were everywhere you went and sat, sat, sat. It took Target and Wal-Mart to actually CLEARANCE them to move them out. That is what I can see saving the line. Action on the retailers part. Target has a massive amount of Narnia:prince Caspian toys on the clearance shelves. The amount sitting is staggering. If Wal-Mart and Target move waves one and two to clearance and reset the DPCI numbers, (or SKU, UPC) for The TOD and TLC, then I can see a light at the end of this tunnel.

HovitosKing

Dr.Sartorius said:

I didn't say the movie didn't make any money. I said the film likely killed sales of the action figures. For instance, I saw that movie 3 times to try to convince myself it was good. I also stopped buying the action figures after my first viewing, because I lost interest in spending money on KOTCS figures due to the quality of the film itself. Ergo, I contributed to the financial success of the film while simultaneously putting a halt to my action figure purchases. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. At the same time, those figures sold really well leading up to KOTCS. No doubt the pre-film sales boosted Hasbro's earnings, as reported in the article you cited (which I didn't care to read).

It's all in the eye of the beholder, dude. I can spin as well as you.

ChromiumBlue37

bonoferox said:

Great idea! I am ready to purchase four Akator Temple Playsets. Three are for me and one is for my nephew. Currently I have five cargo trucks, four Troop Cars and four Jungle Cutters. A pack rat am I? Maybe. But I like to have extras. I have at least three of all of the figures with several Indy's and German Soldiers. Trying to do my part. What the heck, I can even get two more Mutt with the snake. I like that snake and it's great for dioramas.

tnswman

FILMKRUSC said:
It made $800 million worldwide because a lot of people including myself was looking forward to a new Indiana Jones film so we went and paid admission to it. Unfortunately we got KOTCS instead.

Targets, Walmarts, and TRUs in my area are still sitting with their Indy area full of the same Indy figures they've had for weeks. Not selling well at all.
I've yet to see any kids interested in the toys.

While I like the Indy toys (hated the movie), I'm starting to think this line may die off early unfortunately.

You are seeing a VERY small portion of what Hasbro shipped..I have seen EVERY age of collector buying these toys and my local stores still sell them and the ywill continue to sell slow until christmas..That's the big whipe out.. Indy is sitting just fine in relation to other toy lines.

you have to understand the market to know when to worry.

Way of the dodo

Hmm, that is interesting. I don't know anything about toy business, I wonder just how well does a toy line have to do to stay alive. Does it have to do Star Wars-level business to stick around for say, 3 or 4 years? (and couldn't they get 4 figures out of a generic coat-and-tie body?-Marcus, Belloq, Venice Indy, motorcycle chase Indy)

Marion Fan

Unfortunately I do not see the line sticking around that long. In fact next year is probably going to be it. Sad really. I was hoping for it to do well enough for a few secondary characters like Lao-Che and Marcus Brody.

Hopefully we can still get the following:

The ROTL wave revealed at Comic Con: Hopefully with Dietrich melty head? I sure hope we get an deluxe Ark Ghost?

The TOD wave of course: Hopefully a mine car?

TLC: I was really wanting a Donovan corpse someway, somehow.

KOTCS: I would buy Mac, Alien, Oxely, Professor Jones, Marion, grey skinned UGHA warrior. But a lot of those are pretty dull. So, I kind of doubt we will see that.

I have serious doubts we will ever get a Lao-Che, Indy Tux, Willie red dress, Marcus Brody, TLC Tank or Flying Wing now.

I think we can kiss figures like Katanga, Malahalra (sp?), Shalaman, Brody, etc goodbye. Retail stores are not going to stock up on the Indy stuff after the DVD release.

ChromiumBlue37

What's wrong with everyone??

Hasbro has not ended this line yet. This negativity will resonate and influence the line in it's own way.

When will Walmart put this stuff on clearance? The pegs are OVERFLOWING with Indy figures. Nobody's buying at $7 a pop. Mark them all down so us army builders can take a load off your hands and you'll have room to restock with LC and TOD figures.

HovitosKing

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Great idea! I am ready to purchase four Akator Temple Playsets. Three are for me and one is for my nephew. Currently I have five cargo trucks, four Troop Cars and four Jungle Cutters. A pack rat am I? Maybe. But I like to have extras. I have at least three of all of the figures with several Indy's and German Soldiers. Trying to do my part. What the heck, I can even get two more Mutt with the snake. I like that snake and it's great for dioramas.

Here's how it will work. A few people in a few locations (maybe never even the same location) will waste their money on some action figures to clear the shelf. Assume you are successful, and make a dent in the pegged figures. Then some Wal-Mart (or Target, or TRU, or whatever) schmuck will finally (after a week or two) re-stock your shelf with more RPG Indy's and Mutts because they're sitting on 6 tons of wave 1/2 in the back of the store.

If this were going to work, you'd need lots of folks buying lots of figures at every location to ensure the depletion of warehoused supplies. If you're serious about doing it, maybe some people who live close to each other could focus their efforts on one particular store at one location and succeed, but only those folks would benefit. There just aren't enough people out there willing to attack every single store to make this plan feasible.

My advice, you folks from the Chicago area pick a store and work on it. Same for any other location with lots of members living nearby. Pick one specific store at one specific location and do your worst. It might get you closer to wave 3, but it might not.

DetectiveFork

I'm stunned that Hasbro knows about the action figure glut, yet still insists on including plenty of those figures in upcoming case assortments, while at the same time shortpacking the new figures. FAIL This is going to be what kills this toyline. That and the damned Indy figure with no hat that is clogging shelves. If he had the hat, he wouldn't be a pegwarmer.

indyclone25

well my local walmart has so many pegs still filled its so stupind that they also but another little rack of figures at the end of the aisle with more pegs and still have the pegs filled with kotcs action figures