I'm writing my first novel next month...

Indyologist

Thanks to National Novel Writing Month, I'm writing the first draft of my first-ever novel next month. I would appreciate any encouragement and general cheerings-on as well as well-deserved razzing and nyah-nyah-nyahs if I don't finish or if I slack off in my writing next month. The event goes from 11/1-11/30 this year.

Better yet, if you're an aspiring writer, why not stop being a "one-day" novelist ("Sigh. I'm going to write a novel 'one day'.") and do it with me! I've never done this before, but the community I've joined is extremely supportive and funny as H-E-double-hockey-sticks. So join us or PLEASE support me as I attempt to pound out 50,000 words in 30 days!

You can encourage, lambast and otherwise support me here at the Raven on this thread. I'm also going to post updates on my brain-numbing endevor here as well. Thanks in advance for your support. The book called No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty is the book based on this event and is an essential read before starting the frenzy that is called NaNoWriMo. I look forward to your encouragement and good-natured teasing. Especially your encouragement. :hat:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

kongisking

I'm trying to write my own book as well, although whenever I share it on these forums they never get any replies for some reason. It makes me feel really rejected and disappointed. :( (n)

As a bit of a writer myself, I say go for it! My trouble is that my ideas are not sustainable enough to reach novel length. Achilles Heel is about a vagrant who starts stalking/annoying a businessman. It's a comedy but it really only has the legs for a short story. 50,000 words seems a mountain. I hope you've got your climbing gear?!!!

:eek:

Indyologist

kongisking said:
I'm trying to write my own book as well, although whenever I share it on these forums they never get any replies for some reason. It makes me feel really rejected and disappointed. :( (n)

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'll need more of it, especially NEXT MONTH! :eek:

Sorry if people don't seem to be interested in your creations. I'd be disappointed too. I have no idea myself whether or not those here will continue to egg me on next month. Obviously there are people here who are just not interested in writing-- and that's okay. I just mention it here because I'm supposed to tell everyone I'm doing NaNo and I need all the spurring on I can get, even if it's only a drop here or there. Mostly your encouragement has to come from yourself. I've learned a lot about that. Still, instead of sharing your book here if you don't feel supported, join the NaNoWriMo site and get to work. There you'll be among those who will support your work and suffer/rejoice with you!

Give it a try!

Indyologist

herr gruber said:
As a bit of a writer myself, I say go for it! My trouble is that my ideas are not sustainable enough to reach novel length. Achilles Heel is about a vagrant who starts stalking/annoying a businessman. It's a comedy but it really only has the legs for a short story. 50,000 words seems a mountain. I hope you've got your climbing gear?!!!

Pbh! Rubbish! Who says they aren't "sustainable enough?" Most people doing NaNo come into the program having no knowledge of what they are supposed to write about or have only a loose plot outline. In fact, a lot of pre-planning is strictly discouraged to make people not have to stop and totally think about what they are writing out. The idea is to go for quantity (50K words) and add the quality later on. The goal is to at least be able to say "I've got the rough first draft for a novel done." Sure, it'll be cr*p, but it'll be cr*p you can say you have down on paper and can then tweak until it's something you like-- even publishable. Check out the website I posted and don't be discouraged!

"can then tweak until it's something you like"

Rewrites are lies.

I think William S. Burroughs said that....

from Naked Lunch (The movie)
"See, you can't rewrite, 'cause to rewrite is to deceive and lie, and you betray your own thoughts. To rethink the flow and the rhythm, the tumbling out of the words, is a betrayal, and it's a sin, Martin, it's a sin. "

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ClintonHammond said:
"can then tweak until it's something you like"

Rewrites are lies.

I think William S. Burroughs said that....

from Naked Lunch (The movie)
"See, you can't rewrite, 'cause to rewrite is to deceive and lie, and you betray your own thoughts. To rethink the flow and the rhythm, the tumbling out of the words, is a betrayal, and it's a sin, Martin, it's a sin. "

I don't know; I'm not one who ever really rewrites, simply because I never have the time, but if you're publishing something, you sure as hell better have some process of revision. On the Road is a good novel, and then you have Burroughs and people like that, but I feel that's hardly the norm. Authenticity of the sort you seem to be espousing isn't an absolute good.

kongisking said:

I find that any sort of self promotion does not get much of a response here. I was on national radio in the U.K. last week to talk Indy in a special interview. I generated almost zero response! Not even a " Go for it!". I tell you, I had a rope around my neck for a couple of hours. Talk about dejected!

"I was on national radio in the U.K. last week to talk Indy in a special interview. I generated almost zero response!"

Did you keep it a secret? This is the first I've heard of it....

Is it archived anywhere?

"whenever I share it on these forums they never get any replies for some reason"
Maybe people are afraid to be honest?

!

You cheeky swine! Cassettes are all the rage in Liverpool. Soon, there is a rumour that we are going to be witness to a new age in technology here. It's called a VCR. I don't know what it is but it sounds good...

NamedAfterDaDog

Very good, herr gruber, that you're taking this on. I write a bit in my spare time, and I've written a major edit-needing sequel to Jurassic Park 3.. awesome, I know. ;)
And right now I'm writing a World War II novel set in a hotel that many Gestapo agents are investigating in for an American theft and it involves many subplots and it's very complicating, almost like that old flick Hotel Berlin.
Also, I'm writing a very fictional World War III novel, about the also-fictional 25th Airborne division fighting the newly-reformed Nazi party all across Central Europe. It's probably the best (as in characterization and pacing) of the three so far.
Sometimes I doodle here and there, too. I've thought of very different characters that I might use in a future novel some day. Some are : Professor Franklin MacArthur, an old and retired wanderer that travels around the extreme places on Earth, Richard Gamble, a Bond/Holmes/Jones in one that is set in the 50's about spying/adventuring, Peter Gamble, Richard's grandson and a detective in the present day, Fredrick Gimler, a Nazi-turncoat that wants to truly abandon fascism and confess to the U.S. and become a normal American, and finally William Adamson, First Officer on the fictional and doomed liner R.M.S. Dynamic in the early 20th century.

Gamble and Gimler

I like the sound of the hero, Richard Gamble. Interesting. As for Gimler, I like a character with a dilemma and his dilemma is a hell of a dilemma. By the way, Hotel Berlin is a classic of sorts. Just for the record, I'm not a German. Not that there is anything wrong with being a German. Richard Gamble...I like it.

sunshinestate1992

NamedAfterDaDog said:
Very good, herr gruber, that you're taking this on. I write a bit in my spare time, and I've written a major edit-needing sequel to Jurassic Park 3.. awesome, I know. ;)
And right now I'm writing a World War II novel set in a hotel that many Gestapo agents are investigating in for an American theft and it involves many subplots and it's very complicating, almost like that old flick Hotel Berlin.
Also, I'm writing a very fictional World War III novel, about the also-fictional 25th Airborne division fighting the newly-reformed Nazi party all across Central Europe. It's probably the best (as in characterization and pacing) of the three so far.
Sometimes I doodle here and there, too. I've thought of very different characters that I might use in a future novel some day. Some are : Professor Franklin MacArthur, an old and retired wanderer that travels around the extreme places on Earth, Richard Gamble, a Bond/Holmes/Jones in one that is set in the 50's about spying/adventuring, Peter Gamble, Richard's grandson and a detective in the present day, Fredrick Gimler, a Nazi-turncoat that wants to truly abandon fascism and confess to the U.S. and become a normal American, and finally William Adamson, First Officer on the fictional and doomed liner R.M.S. Dynamic in the early 20th century.
all of these sound amazing maybe you could share these with us one day . those plots and storys sound so professional and unique.but its like why havent anyone else thought of those before. i smiled when i read those plots they seem like a real novel or film . much better that some crappy books,storys and films they make now .WOW