What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?

Athenee

...oooh...

MolaRam2 said:
Seven Samurai

I caught "The Seven Samurai" on IFC one morning, early, right after my husband had left for work, and watched it. It was letterboxed, which made reading the captions a bit of a chore, and it was b/w, but it didn't matter--that was one heck of an amazing movie!!

And to the earlier writer who said that Indy probably wouldn't go to the movies, you're half right. I don't think he'd go to as many movies as other people would, and I don't think he'd go to the same kind of movies as other people, but he'd go--just not to the stuff other folks would see.

BTW: regarding "Secret of the Incas"; researchers are now questioning if Hiram Bingham was actually the first person to rediscover Machu Picchu in 1911. It might be cool for someone to produce a highly dramatized account of Bingham's expedition to Peru-- hey, Indy 4 and "The Mummy: Emperor's Tomb" are out this year... perhaps we should 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' Lucas and Spielberg and suggest they pillage the history of archaeology (...the natives have always shot at archaeologists; only the type of ammo has changed...) :eek:

Raiders90

Imagine what Indy would think of Secret of the Incas. The guy is dressed just like him. Then there's the 1930s film "Zorro's Fighting Legion" where Zorro jumps from a horse to an army truck like Indy.

Gustav

replican't said:
I have literally no interest

Don't people realize the irony of posts like this?

I wonder what Indy would think of Gunga Din.

I'm sure he would have seen The Ten Commandments.

Last edited:

agent_dork

XD im not sure if this came outin the 50's or 40's but he would so sing along with the wizerd of oz!!!

indy: WHERE OFF TO SEE THE WIZERD

*mutt and marion stare at him like he is crazy*

indy: come on guys! sing along!

marion and mutt: UH NO! :p

Stoo

Gustav said:
I wonder what Indy would think of Gunga Din.
"Hey, who stole my diary and mixed it with Rudyard Kipling?"
Anyway, there is a '50s version with a different title. I wonder if he saw that?

"Winds of Change" reveals that Indy loves Jules Verne & H.G. Wells.
In the '50s, he would have most likely seen:

1953 - War of the Worlds
1954 - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
1956 - Around the World in 80 Days
1958 - From the Earth to the Moon (he expresses his love for this in "Winds of Change").
1959 - Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Athenee

What's up with Brendan Fraser this summer?!

Stoo said:
"Hey, who stole my diary and mixed it with Rudyard Kipling?"
Anyway, there is a '50s version with a different title. I wonder if he saw that?
"Winds of Change" reveals that Indy loves Jules Verne & H.G. Wells.
In the '50s, he would have most likely seen:
1953 - War of the Worlds
1954 - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
1956 - Around the World in 80 Days
1958 - From the Earth to the Moon (he expresses his love for this in "Winds of Change").
1959 - Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Brendan Fraser will star in two movies this summer: "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (opening July 11 in the U.S.), and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" (opening August 1 in the U.S.). In both the two earlier "Mummy" movies, O'Connell (Fraser) repeated "Boy, I hate mummies!", paraphrasing Indy's Nazi reference.

Are there any other 'derring-do in khaki' movie topics on the forum?

Athenee

Stoo said:

The cheap knock-offs, not so much, but I adore the classics: Casablanca, Gunga Din, Beau Geste (was that the first remake?), zillions of Tarzan movies-- sorry, folks, I thought Mutt swinging by vine was funny because wasn't there a Tarzan TV series in the 50s? He may have seen it.

And how many versions of "King Solomon's Mines" have there been? I seem to remember Stewart Grainger in loads of awful 'khaki' movies.

"Lawrence of Arabia": oh, my gosh, is Peter O'Toole drop-dead gorgeous in that or what?! (always will be, on DVD!) But the actual life of T. E. Lawrence is so tragic; that man needed serious psychoanalysis from childhood. I don't know if I still have the book, but John Cameron Swayze (of tickin' Timex fame) wrote a (sanitized) biography of him, shortly after his death in the late 30s. I have a reprint of Lawrence's academic (doctoral?) thesis on the medieval Crusader Castles in the Middle-East.

Odd 'six degrees of Indy' connection: Jones, Sr.'s 'double-O' colleague, Roger Moore starred in some mid-70s khaki groaner called "Gold" I think (and no smart remarks about Bond titles!), set in South Africa during the 50s or 60s. I prefer my Roger to be Simon... or Remington, in a pinch (i.e., amusisng). ;)

Edit: I forgot "The African Queen"! If Bogie's the King of Khaki, then Kate has to be the Queen of Khaki! (Even though she wore no khaki onscreen, she, or Lauren Bacall, wrote a short book with loads of photos about the filming of TAQ)-- ah, John Huston would be the other king of khaki... and Teddy Roosevelt, natch... Do we consider the "National Treasure" movies to be khaki?

Last edited:

Athenee

Indy&HanFan said:
he'd see a movie with sean connery in it just so he could say that's my dad.

No, Sean in 1961 looked really young and buff; he'd definitely think it's a long-lost cousin of his from Scotland... :confused:

James Byrne said:
King Solomons Mines
Secret Of The Incas
Plunder Of The Sun
Green Hell
The Naked Jungle

Then Indy V would be Indiana Jones Strikes Back, where he travels to Hollywood to track down the Hollywood Suits to get his Mthr-Fkn_Movie Check for likeness rights?

Forbidden Eye

I kinda wish I caught this thread when it was still active.

Believe it or not, I have thought of what movies certain film characters would end up seeing. Frankly the idea kinda gives you a headache if you put a lot of thought in it. Maybe that's an Indy 5, 80-year old Indiana Jones fights with Steven and George and how they handled the material of his bio-pic. ;)

Of course, its obvious Mutt is a huge fan of The Wild One.

James Byrne

Crack that whip said:
Surely no more so than Raiders of the Lost Ark is in 2009, yet here we are...

Yes, but do you walk around all day geared up like Indy Jones? You would certainly be considered out of touch walking around dressed exactly like Brando in THE WILD ONE in 1957. Elvis was the King then.