mel gibson's the passion

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
As long as the posts stay on the topic of The Passion of the Christ, and not into a debate about theology then there is no reason why I or another mod would lock it.

I am looking forward to this thread and to this movie. Here it comes!

Kate

Are folks here likely to debate theology (besides me- I'm a debate freak!)?? What tends to be the religious/political viewpoint of the typical Ravener? or shall I post this somewhere else? :D

Pale Horse

Staff member
Kate said:
Are folks here likely to debate theology (besides me- I'm a debate freak!)?? What tends to be the religious/political viewpoint of the typical Ravener? or shall I post this somewhere else? :D

Discuss is a better term, at least in this corner of the Raven. Much of it happen in archeology, as religion and it are strange bedfellows.

Politics typically isn't discussed, and almost always leads to a padlock. Just no real round hole here in the Raven for a square peg like politics, unless it is the poltic of negotiation in the 30's. Even then it's a stretch.

As far as the Passion goes, we will see...

[Edited by apalehorse on 02-10-2004 at 03:48 pm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yes. Jim Caviezel. Smoke emenated from his ears and he walked away from it uninjured. It was while he was on the cross during the crucifixion scene.

Tennessee R

Wow. I thought I had heard that somewhere. I don't know, but either good or bad, there might be a message in that somewhere. :)

Kate

apalehorse said:
Yes. Jim Caviezel. Smoke emenated from his ears and he walked away from it uninjured. It was while he was on the cross during the crucifixion scene.

Whoa! That is CREEPY!

Who here is actually planning on seeing it? I'm a bit squeamish about some of the stuff I heard was going to be in the film. So sue me.

Tennessee R

I don't know if I'll see it or not, but to Kate (Cappie), I've read that because of the realistic approach, some things may not be too pleasant to watch.

Strider

It?s pretty clear to me that what?s wrong with American society these days is the lack of people being informed. We have greater access today to information today but we have few and fewer people actually READING the news.-Renderking Fisk

My god Fisk you are so right! So many people just don't know what's going on!

westford

I doubt if I'll bother with this film. Mel Gibson and historical accuracy don't go together, and I'll not go into historical accuracy and the Bible...

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I probably won't be able to see it because the movie hasn't found a editor (distributor, or wahtever you call it) in France. If I want to see it I'll have to Germany so it would have to be REALLY good for me to go see it.

But I have to say that I'm pretty interested in seeing a movie of such controvercy in order to make my own opinion. Mel Gibson is said to have a pretty extremist view on the subject: info or intox?

Doc Savage

I will see it. The media has completely obfuscated the point here. They hinge their Anti-Semitism case on the fact that Caiaphas is portrayed in a sinister light...just as he was in the Bible. They claim that the "blood libel" (where the crowd said,"His blood be on our heads and our children's.") is going to spark hatred. The media does this when they slam Israel for defending itself.

In a nutshell, the Gospels are the most in-depth historical account of what this movie is about. And what it's about has very little to do with an angry Jewish crowd circa 30 A.D. Gibson has placed blame for Christ's death on every man, woman, and child who needed a Savior. Some of them happen to be Jewish.

We don't blame Germany for Hitler, and we don't cry "BIGOTRY" when the Holocaust is discussed. The media and the ACLU need to quit attacking the message of the movie by directing attention to a fabricated "civil rights" issue.

Kate

I KNOW that the movie will make me cry. I cried in "last crusade" when Henry Sr. says, "I thought I lost you, boy."

Pale Horse

Staff member
Kate said:
I KNOW that the movie will make me cry. I cried in "last crusade" when Henry Sr. says, "I thought I lost you, boy."

Wait till you hear Christ say "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani!" With the words, "My father My God Why have you forsaken me" (loosly translated so as not to offend Finn) <small>hopes he spelled it right too, though knows that Finn wouldn't penalize me for language errors as I never claim anything but English. I'm still learning</small>

[Edited by apalehorse on 02-23-2004 at 07:42 pm]

Kate

* kate cries just thinking of it* what I was trying to say is that I cry very VERY easily in movies. I meean, who cried IJATLC??