Barnett or Marshall?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Way of the dodo said:
I still don't get how all that freeze frame art department stuff can trump Spielberg filming in the same classroom?

Yeah, it looks like there was never the actual good answer given here. It was accessible; they'd worked with the people before, and they knew that it worked out well. That argument holds water whether the entire team was in agreement on whether it was the same or a different college.

Udvarnoky

Right, the fact that same interior is used is explainable, but there's really no arguing against the fact that, story-wise, Indiana Jones teaches at a separate college in Last Crusade. References to Barnett are made in the film (nonverbal or not), the name appears in the movie's various adaptations, the college is brought back in Indiana Jones in the Fate of Atlantis (which takes place shortly after Last Crusade), and the placement of college's location on the US map in that game corroborates the address seen on the package in Last Crusade (namely, that it's located in upstate New York as opposed to Connecticut for Marshall). These are not coincidences - at some point during Last Crusade's development, a decision was made to move Indy's college of employment (clearly with more attention to detail than a mere name change) for whatever reason, and it became part of canon in the time line as recognized by multiple alternate universe (but no less official) material.

The real unanswered questions are why they invented this new college in the first place (Was it just to change the pace? Did they alter this aspect of the storyline during production for logistical reasons i.e. when the real-life Marshall exterior was unavailable for filming? Was there an actual decent story-related reason for Indy switching colleges that just didn't survive beyond the script?), and why Crystal Skull chooses to confuse matters by not addressing the situation at all. The answers to these questions would satisfy my curiosity, but I've got a feeling that they wouldn't turn out to be particularly impressive.

emtiem

Perhaps they just got uncomfortable with the idea of having it named after Frank Marshall by LC; did they think it was too in-jokey? Dunno.
As a casual fan of Indy I certainly never even noticed it before I came to this forum: I'd heard it was Barnett in the comics but I thought they just got it wrong to be honest.

Stoo

In all honesty, during my analysis of this whole affair, I did notice another student wearing an M sweater in the film.
(There's also a photo in "Complete Making of" book...) In "Skull", the Marshall colours are blue & white (the jackets)
and not burgundy & white like the sweaters in "Crusade". Looks like there were 2 MAROONS fans at Barnett!:p

Is it in there? ...it's in there!

Sankara said:
@stoo It's sooo funny that you "want" that there are two colleges in the Indy-Movies... :D So, you know that these guy is a fan? Maybe the "M" is for his name... Marco! Yes, the name of the guy is Marco! Or maybe he is fan of Mercedes... or maybe he loves his Mum... But you: I'm still waiting... (y)

Sankara, love that you stand up to the Mob, but the comment about seeing it on the big screen was the clincher. I set up the projector in the work shop, doubled for movie night. I think it was Stoo that put up the picture of the sign that "supposedly" read Barnett College.

Wouldn't you know...the sign reads Barnett College.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!!

I'll have to get a hold of a quality camera, but while I do that and arrange for Lucas and Spielberg to come down off the mountain to sign the affadavit to sooth, I mean convince you...YOU CAN GO TO

Landmark Esquire
590 Downing Street,
Denver, CO 80218 (303) 352-1992

on either

Friday, February 20, 2009 12:00am
Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:00am

and see for yourself.

It's in the film.

:dead:

AnImaginaryBoy

Just out of interest, Sankara, what's the name of the character that Ronald Lacey plays in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Because nobody ever says his name in the film, so does that mean the character is nameless?

The Drifter

AnImaginaryBoy said:
Just out of interest, Sankara, what's the name of the character that Ronald Lacey plays in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Because nobody ever says his name in the film, so does that mean the character is nameless?

Um, Arnold Toht.

Canyon

Greetings fellow Indy fans! :D

A few weeks ago, I was curious to see which colleges Indy had taught at so I made a list from 1922 (the year that he graduated) and used films, comics, books to get the information. :hat:

There are some gaps because as I have lack of info, but thought you might find this interesting

1922 Graduated
1923 ?
1924 ?
1925 London
1926 London
1927 London (spring)
1928 New England
1929 - ?
1930 - London/Princeton
1931 ?
1932 ?
1933 - Princeton
1934 - Princeton/Barnett
1935 - Barnett/Marshall (July)
1936 - Marshall
1937 - Barnett
1938 - Barnett
1939 - Barnett - joins OSS (Dec)

;)

Actually I just googled Marshall college and Wikia had the explanation,the mystery is solved he left Marshall for a period and taught at Barnett and then returned,just google Marshall College and check out wikia:)

AnImaginaryBoy

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Um, Arnold Toht.

The rather rubbish point I was trying to make is his name isn't ever mentioned in the film, yet it's accepted that's what the character is called, so therefore just because nobody ever states that Indy is at Barnett College in The Last Crusade it doesn't mean that he's not. So...erm....there was slight method to my idiocy!

ninepinejones said:
Actually I just googled Marshall college and Wikia had the explanation,the mystery is solved he left Marshall for a period and taught at Barnett and then returned,just google Marshall College and check out wikia:)

um,hello, wiki has the answer,yes its me talking to me letting you guys know this one seems to be solved:cool:

Finn

Staff member
AnImaginaryBoy said:
The rather rubbish point I was trying to make is his name isn't ever mentioned in the film, yet it's accepted that's what the character is called, so therefore just because nobody ever states that Indy is at Barnett College in The Last Crusade it doesn't mean that he's not. So...erm....there was slight method to my idiocy!
Only... you asked that from a guy who was banned ages ago.

So yeah, it might have been one of those moments when an answer was truly unnecessary, but so was the question.

ninepinejones said:
um,hello, wiki has the answer,yes its me talking to me letting you guys know this one seems to be solved:cool:

It also contended that Dennis Muren was Toht...

Check out the rest of the thread and you'll find out that answer would not have sufficed "Doubting Thomas", I mean Sankara...he had to see it IN the film, with his own eyes.

:dead:

AnImaginaryBoy

Finn said:
Only... you asked that from a guy who was banned ages ago.

So yeah, it might have been one of those moments when an answer was truly unnecessary, but so was the question.

Sorry, I didn't realise that! I'm more of a lurker on here, so I apologise for not noticing. Oh dear, I really made a bit of a prat out of myself here, haven't I? Sorry! :(

Mr. Z

It's no big deal; I think this is why we have Forums, so people can chat about stuff like this with fellow Indy fans. Otherwise, what's the point.

I don't even know why Lucas and co. had Indy leave Marshall college in the first place, but at least we got to see Indy on the big screen once again in 2008.

Indy's Fist

Is it possible that the guy in LC was a student visiting Indy at Barnett College from Marshall? I mean New York & Conneticut can't be that far away from each other.