Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
You've never seen footage of that shot because there is no publicly available footage of ANY deleted "Doom" scenes (except for Chatter Lal in the lava pit).

I'm hoping you're right about this egg thing coming to fruition. Like Darth, I find the pilot photo compelling, since, as you've said, the two were intended to correspond in the film, as someone continually ignores.

However...

tod_deleted_04.jpg

tod_deleted_06.jpg

tod_deleted_10.jpg

tod_deleted_01.jpg

The latter two of these are really more deleted beats than deleted scenes, but the first two are major cuts, in line with the fight scene with Chatter Lal. (To say nothing of the things that there's no evidence of existing, like the additional conversation between Indy and Blumburtt at the Pleasure Pavilion, or the similarly crucial scene between Willie, Chatter Lal, and Blumburtt.) I'd say the egg really counts more as a missing beat, along the lines of the "Home on the Range" scene.

Flannery10

Well, the one I used to one is indeed the red one that was posted already. I will be perfectly honest with you guys and tell you that I haven't followed the conversation going on here too much recently. The only thing that seems obvious is that there is a clear division of the believers and non believers. I'm just surprised the argument hasn't gotten out of hand yet :hat:

As someone who read the novelization by James Kahn a long time ago, I recall the scene being the novel, and I'm almost perfectly sure to have seen it in the movie as well. Long time ago and I don't have any proof to back up the statement. The only thing I can rely on is my memory, which quite frankly shouldn't be too bad yet.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
I was being pragmatic by suggesting the photo of the pilot with the gun indeed demonstrates that certain scenes/shots were exorcised from that section of the movie. Also - footage can be obtained from elsewhere e.g. behind the scenes documentaries a la the tarantula scene in TLC (which I think you yourself provided). As much as I may want to believe the scene exists, all that's available to assess at the moment is anecdotal.
Your pragmaticism is well appreciated, Darth.:) What I'm saying is that there is NO FOOTAGE of deleted scenes from "TEMPLE OF DOOM" ANYWHERE (except a 2 second shot of Chatter Lal in the lava pit.) This includes Making-of/Behind-the-scenes documentaries & whatnot. The other 3 films? YES...but not "Doom".
Henry W Jones said:
First off I never said it wasn't filmed. I said you had no proof and that is fact. Second off if you can't read a post and quote it properly from 5 min after you read it makes question what you remember from 25+ years ago. Third just because there is extra plane footage doesn't mean there is or isn't an egg scene. (Because I pull my gun whenever I see a egg) I'm not saying it does not exist. I'm saying without proof it's a ridiculous argument. Forth I really don't care I just found it insane this post has got this much attention for so long without any proof other than 25+ year old memories and a picture of the pilots with guns. (where other scenarios are possible with armed pilots). So before running your mouth, check your facts (USE YOUR BRAIN) since your so smart next time.
1) You said, "From what I can tell there is no physical evidence it was actually filmed"
2) What?!? I never misquoted you. It was a standard copy & paste.
3) Other missing plane footage demonstrates that the sequence changed between filming and final edit stage.
4) Once again...Please, tell us what were the other planned scenarios with gun-carrying pilots?

Personally, I don't need to 'check the facts' because I've seen the egg. I'm doing it for the doubters. What YOU need to do is become more familiar with the scene before saying things like, "other scenarios are possible with armed pilots" or "Because I pull my gun whenever I see a egg.":rolleyes:
Henry W Jones said:
Just a side note this debate started February 2006. Still no proof or changed info.
This thread began in 2006 and back then there was not much of a debate. (Also, the egg issue was raised on non-Indy forums much earlier in 2003.)

Here at The Raven, the topic really heated up about a month ago. NEW proof & info (not available until 2008) has been presented...
Henry W Jones said:
I just think without proof this is a stupid argument. Its just a bunch of people arguing over something without evidence to support it. But whatever.
It's not stupid. If there was verifiable proof, there wouldn't be an argument!:rolleyes: This is a quest...

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Your pragmaticism is well appreciated, Darth.:) What I'm saying is that there is NO FOOTAGE of deleted scenes from "TEMPLE OF DOOM" ANYWHERE (except a 2 second shot of Chatter Lal in the lava pit.) This includes Making-of/Behind-the-scenes documentaries & whatnot. The other 3 films? YES...but not "Doom".
1) You said, "From what I can tell there is no physical evidence it was actually filmed"
2) What?!? I never misquoted you. It was a standard copy & paste.
3) Other missing plane footage demonstrates that the sequence changed between filming and final edit stage.
4) Once again...Please, tell us what were the other planned scenarios with gun-carrying pilots?

Personally, I don't need to 'check the facts' because I've seen the egg. I'm doing it for the doubters. What YOU need to do is become more familiar with the scene before saying things like, "other scenarios are possible with armed pilots" or "Because I pull my gun whenever I see a egg.":rolleyes:
This thread began in 2006 and back then there was not much of a debate. (Also, the egg issue was raised on non-Indy forums much earlier in 2003.)

Here at The Raven, the topic really heated up about a month ago. NEW proof & info (not available until 2008) has been presented...
It's not stupid. If there was verifiable proof, there wouldn't be an argument!:rolleyes: This is a quest...

Okay you keep reading this wrong. I have said everytime the scene is possible. I said you can't prove it so that is what makes this debate funny to me. Also I'm not saying the pilots with guns are or are not part of the scene you described. I am saying that picture doesn't prove your point. You can't think of other possible reasons for guns in a Indy movie? (hypothetically you had not seen the scene). Your taking it pretty personal. Good luck with your quest.

And what is new info & proof not available until 2008 has been presented ?

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
Ok...I figure that there a 5 people who could definitively answer the question as to whether this scene was filmed. With the exception of Akio Mitamura, all have fan mail contact details on the web...

Michael Yama

Jonathan Ke Quan

Harrison Ford

Kate Capshaw

Harrison and Kate may not be interested in answering trivia, but the others might. Worth a punt ?

I think Shorty himself would be the best person to approach!

Who shall make the call???

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
Your pragmaticism is well appreciated, Darth.:) What I'm saying is that there is NO FOOTAGE of deleted scenes from "TEMPLE OF DOOM" ANYWHERE (except a 2 second shot of Chatter Lal in the lava pit.)

Ok - Thanks for the clarification. Does this include BBC documentaries? I have one buried in the cellar somewhere which is a film night special with Barry Norman interviewing Steven Spielberg circa 1984... I'll have to have a rummage and see if I can find it. I remember a specific shot of Spielberg and Lucas in costume for a cameo appearance at the airport in TOD (which I assume ended up on the cutting room floor).

Stoo said:
Goo goo ga-joob!

Rocket, this is an EGG-CELLENT idea but many of the people are not here anymore or have posted on other forums...
Well there's Bankrupt, Flannery, Jay, yourself...more than enough to prove it* either way!

...always thought it was coo coo ca choo

*that you've seen the same thing that is...

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well there's Bankrupt, Flannery, Jay, yourself...more than enough to prove it* either way!

...always thought it was coo coo ca choo

*that you've seen the same thing that is...
LOTS of stuff to reply to in this thread so here's a quick reply regarding your list:

-"Bankrupt" must mean Chapter11.
-Flannery10 doesn't really visit anymore.:(
-JayDee has not seen it.
-You missed the lurker, charlie_k from the Czech Republic, who posted here recently.;)

I, too, thought it was "coo coo ca choo" but just copied the Beatles lyrics from another site.:eek:

My egg-scene-memory drawings are already done...

Stoo said:
Maybe Dennis Bruhn (Sankara) does? I wrote Flannery10 asking him for more specifics about which red version he had. Waiting for a reply...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_275975443434#!/profile.php?id=1277673802

Stoo said:
-"Bankrupt" must mean Chapter11.
-Flannery10 doesn't really visit anymore.:(
-JayDee has not seen it.
-You missed the lurker, charlie_k from the Czech Republic, who posted here recently.;)

My egg-scene-memory drawings are already done...

Flannery was here a few days ago!

No one has your brass balls Stoo!

Can't wait to see your sketch...

Come on fellas!

Flannery10

Rocket Surgeon said:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_275975443434#!/profile.php?id=1277673802

Flannery was here a few days ago!

!

I'm here once in a while, just to check up on what's going on in the world of Indiana Jones. However, I just don't see the need to contribute to the discussions most of the time, because people like Stoo are a lot more familiar with the specifics of the movies. My area of expertise is mostly "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and that topic has been talked over a lot when the DVDs were released, and now there's not much to say anymore.

So don't worry, I'm just as interested as you to bring this discussion about the egg scene to a conclusion. However, I unfortunately have neither the time nor the resources to be of much assistance here.

Flannery10 said:
So don't worry, I'm just as interested as you to bring this discussion about the egg scene to a conclusion. However, I unfortunately have neither the time nor the resources to be of much assistance here.
(Twenty seven years ago / In 1984), an egg scene was cut from the theatrical release of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for a crime against common sense. This scene promptly escaped from maximum security Lucas vault to the 80's Beta/VHS underground. Today, still wanted by Indy fans, it survives as an old wives tale and the ramblings of an obstinate and negligible minority. If you've seen this scene, if no one else can help, and if you can find it, maybe you can post... The Egg-Scene.

As one of this crack(ed) team, you can't provide ANY support? Not even cover fire by way of some hastily drawn stick figures?

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Not ignoring it at all. No reason several people couldn't have the same false memory, particularly since versions of the egg scene appear in other media (books and comics). I'm suggesting that's where the false memory began, not that Stoo just dreamed it up out of the blue.
Just to clarify, Lance, the egg scene does not appear in the comic. The novel, yes, but not the comic adaptation.;)
Henry W Jones said:
Also I'm not saying the pilots with guns are or are not part of the scene you described. I am saying that picture doesn't prove your point. You can't think of other possible reasons for guns in a Indy movie?
Why should I have to think of other possible reasons to explain why the pilot is pointing the gun? The scene is clearly described in the final shooting script. I don't understand why you keep questioning this.:confused:
Henry W Jones said:
And what is new info & proof not available until 2008 has been presented ?
To my knowledge, the photo of the pilot pointing the gun was not available before "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book was published in 2008. The final shooting script wasn't widely available either, until 2009 (See: Trilogy Scripts (1979-1988)).
Darth Vile said:
Ok - Thanks for the clarification. Does this include BBC documentaries? I have one buried in the cellar somewhere which is a film night special with Barry Norman interviewing Steven Spielberg circa 1984... I'll have to have a rummage and see if I can find it. I remember a specific shot of Spielberg and Lucas in costume for a cameo appearance at the airport in TOD (which I assume ended up on the cutting room floor).
Actually, Spielberg & Lucas can be see in costume at the airport so it's not a deleted scene. I watched the special you're referring to (thanks to JayDee's link:hat:) and the behind-the-scenes footage at the very end is UNIQUE!

You are right, though, Darth. I was not including UK documentaries (or anything else outside of USA/Canada):eek:. If anyone has footage of deleted scenes from "Doom", PLEASE report about them here: Deleted Scenes.
Flannery10 said:
Hello, Flannery, my friend.:hat: Can you at least elaborate a little bit more on which red version of the German VHS you had?:whip:

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Why should I have to think of other possible reasons to explain why the pilot is pointing the gun? The scene is clearly described in the final shooting script. I don't understand why you keep questioning this.:confused:
To my knowledge, the photo of the pilot pointing the gun was not available before "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book was published in 2008.

I am just trying to get you to see it from the perspective of the non-egger's. I don't want you to write a script with another scenario. I also have seen the sketches of the scene and the pilot pics. I did read up about it before saying anything. I have no proof that the scene does or doesn't exist on film. I only can trust you saw it and hope one day you or someone else will find it so we can all see it. Good luck. Also that pilot photo was in a book in '84. (Hence my confusion) I will look into it and let you know what book. I think it was in a movie program from 84' I had. I was 8 years old and that book got trashed being dragged everywhere and is no longer in my possession. Was thinking about getting another in the near future if I can find it. I'm not 100% sure if that's where I saw it but I will find out soon. If it is in the TOD program that I saw it, it had production notes for the movie.( might provide some more evidence) But I was pretty young so I'm not sure if my memory serves me 100% correct if that's where I saw that picture.