Indy at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Stoo

Planned For After 2021

Looks like it might actually happen, folks. :eek:

https://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-land-disney-hollywood-studios/

--------
Indiana Jones Land Possibly Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios Theme Park

Posted on Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 by Hoai-Tran Bui

Indiana Jones may be getting an upgrade at Walt Disney World. As the theme park readies itself for a park-wide makeover ahead of the resort's 50th anniversary in 2021, it's reportedly looking to one of its underused properties. Though Indy has been at the center of an old-school stunt show for decades, Disney might soon be expanding the action property into a full-fledged Indiana Jones land.

According to Orlando Weekly, the Imagineers at Walt Disney World are considering the development of an Indiana Jones mini-land at Disney's Hollywood Studios. The project has been long rumored, with reports that the dated Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular show would be retired, with Animal Kingdom's Dinoland and Dinosaurs attraction becoming transformed into Indiana Jones land.

However, Orlando Weekly reports that Indiana Jones land would likely be located in Hollywood Studios, replacing the area where the stunt show currently exists, as well as roughly 8 acres of the land around it. The land could eventually 'include the area where Star Tours is currently located, as well as most other aspects of the Echo Lake section of the park.' Orlando Weekly adds:

'Multiple attractions would be featured in the new land, likely including a signature E-ticket style attraction - the signature attraction for the Indy mini-land will be an indoor family attraction of some type that will use a previously realized ride system in a new way. Few details on the specifics of this ride have been shared by insiders, but it's thought that this ride will compete with the two Star Wars rides as one of the park's flagship attractions. As with Animal Kingdom's plan, the DHS one does seem to include an outdoor roller coaster attraction. Both Disneyland Paris and Tokyo DisneySea have Intamin versions of the Pinfari TL-59 looping coasters.'

Disneyland in Anaheim, California already has a famous and well-regarded Indiana Jones ride, but the archaeologist adventurer's only presence in Walt Disney World until now has been the stunt show, which opened in 1989 and hasn't seen an update since 2004. Disneyland Paris also has its own popular Indiana Jones roller coaster, 'Adventureland Temple du Péril.'

Though the Indiana Jones land is being developed as part of Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary celebrations - which consist of a 25-acre transformation of Hollywood Studios beginning with the 11-acre Toy Story Land and culminating in the 14-acre Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - the project would be viewed as a post-50th anniversary addition, Orlando Weekly reports. If plans for the Indiana Jones land come to fruition, it would open sometime after 2021, but within the next 10 years.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Bounced from Animal Kingdom, to Epcot, to Hollywood Studios in the past month. "Replacing not only the stunt show but also the area around it, the new Indiana Jones mini-land would be roughly 8 acres in size or about half the size of the Animal Kingdom proposal."

Here's where they keep track of the leaks.

TheFedora

Moedred said:
Bounced from Animal Kingdom, to Epcot, to Hollywood Studios in the past month. "Replacing not only the stunt show but also the area around it, the new Indiana Jones mini-land would be roughly 8 acres in size or about half the size of the Animal Kingdom proposal."

Here's where they keep track of the leaks.

So they have not fully decided which park they want to put it in...not sure if it would have fit in with Animal Kingdom so that was probably a good call.

Forbidden Eye

I’m all for bringing more Indy to the parks! But…it sounds like they’re just retheming Dinosaur which was always an Indy clone anyway, and replicating the Forbidden Eye attraction at Disneyland? Lame and uneventful if true..

IndianaBones

I’m all for bringing more Indy to the parks! But…it sounds like they’re just retheming Dinosaur which was always an Indy clone anyway, and replicating the Forbidden Eye attraction at Disneyland? Lame and uneventful if true..
Yes, I’d love more but I’ll take it rather than nothing!
Though I would assume it would be a bit different than Disneyland’s considering that ride is from the 90s. A cloned/inspired and updated ride at WDW should be somewhat different

Last edited:

JasonMa

So far they haven't officially announced any Indy additions, just suggested it would be a good fit in the new South American section that's replacing Dinoland. That said, yes Dinosaur is a exact clone of the Indian Jones Adventure, just rethemed so I'd be pretty shocked if that didn't get transformed into Indy, along with the area around it. I doubt it goes much further than that though.

Lance Quazar

Yes, I’d love more but I’ll take it rather than nothing!
Though I would assume it would be a bit different than Disneyland’s considering that ride is from the 90s. A cloned/inspired and updated ride at WDW should be somewhat different
Hopefully it's similar, but original. If it is in the new "South America" section, they'll need new theming and a new story, anyway.

After all, the Tokyo version is its own thing. Each one should be unique.

Dinosaur was always a crap ride, it felt super cheap and lazy.

IndianaBones

Hopefully it's similar, but original. If it is in the new "South America" section, they'll need new theming and a new story, anyway.

After all, the Tokyo version is its own thing. Each one should be unique.

Dinosaur was always a crap ride, it felt super cheap and lazy.
I think it’ll be inspired since they both use the same track system.
They didn’t specify the same Indiana Jones adventure from California, just an Indy ride. So I’m assuming it’ll take bits and pieces from the original, and theme it to animal kingdom.
It’s still hard to say, cause Disney has never a cloned an almost 30 year old ride to a different park. But I’m expecting something different

Lance Quazar

I think it’ll be inspired since they both use the same track system.
They didn’t specify the same Indiana Jones adventure from California, just an Indy ride. So I’m assuming it’ll take bits and pieces from the original, and theme it to animal kingdom.
It’s still hard to say, cause Disney has never a cloned an almost 30 year old ride to a different park. But I’m expecting something different
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a similar ride system, with the jeeps. But hopefully new theming and some new tech.

I hope they keep it in the style of the older rides, though. Mostly practical effects and as few screens as possible. The new scene at the Disneyland ride feels out of place. I mean, I'm glad it's there (over what was previously an empty room and previously the lousy rat room), but it doesn't quite fit.

IndianaBones

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a similar ride system, with the jeeps. But hopefully new theming and some new tech.

I hope they keep it in the style of the older rides, though. Mostly practical effects and as few screens as possible. The new scene at the Disneyland ride feels out of place. I mean, I'm glad it's there (over what was previously an empty room and previously the lousy rat room), but it doesn't quite fit.
You’re right, if they demolish most of the ride there’s a big opportunity to make some unique changes. In regards to Disneylands new scene, that could’ve been a quick add on which was lower budget. They have a bigger opportunity to do more if they’re shutting Dino down completely and building up Indy for this.

Also did some research and I had no idea Tokyo had their own Indy ride too, except it’s called Temple of the Crystal Skull? Is it that different from Disneylands?

Funny enough, the exterior of Tokyos is similar as what they’re planning to bring in Floridas Concept art.

Tokyos:

2016-12-05_0263.jpg

Orlando Concept:

20230909_190654-jpg.741984

So I wouldn’t be surprised if the ride takes inspiration from both existing rides while offering something new.

Kukulcan

You’re right, if they demolish most of the ride there’s a big opportunity to make some unique changes. In regards to Disneylands new scene, that could’ve been a quick add on which was lower budget. They have a bigger opportunity to do more if they’re shutting Dino down completely and building up Indy for this.

Also did some research and I had no idea Tokyo had their own Indy ride too, except it’s called Temple of the Crystal Skull? Is it that different from Disneylands?

Funny enough, the exterior of Tokyos is similar as what they’re planning to bring in Floridas Concept art.

Tokyos:

2016-12-05_0263.jpg

Orlando Concept:

20230909_190654-jpg.741984

So I wouldn’t be surprised if the ride takes inspiration from both existing rides while offering something new.
This makes it look like it is official? Is it?

Lance Quazar

Yeah, the Tokyo version, called the Temple of the Crystal Skull (which long predated KOTCS) is a similar ride with different theming and a different story.

Yeah, if they make it South American themed to go with the new land (Why wouldn't they?), it'd probably have much more in common with the Tokyo version, but would hopefully be unique so that none of them would be the same.

This makes it look like it is official? Is it?
No. The D23 presentation was weird in that they announced many "potential" projects without saying they were definitely doing them. Which rankled a lot of Disney fans, apparently.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Josh D'Amaro: "Animal Kingdom is about exploration and adventure. I was fortunate enough to have run that theme park, so I know how special it is, and I think there are a lot of stories that we can stay true to Animal Kingdom and express new properties in there, and that's what you see us starting to do."

dr.jones1986

I know D'Amaro said these ideas weren't definitive but just some potential ideas that are being discussed based on the concept art. I heard that when he made this announcement in September they played the Raiders march. Has anyone seen a video of this or have a link to it? I would be very interested to watch it. I do think it is a no brainer for them as the Dinosaur ride could be easily rethemed. It would make sense to do a Latin America themed land to go along with Africa and Asia. I also saw that he was asked about how Indiana Jones might fit within Animal Kingdom and he said it could work. I could see the theming being closer to the Tokyo version but without the Crystal Skull as I think they wouldn't want to do something that could be confused with one of the movies. Instead of doing a cobra, I could see an anaconda playing a role in this ride and it would also make more sense based on how large they are.