Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 3D

indy34

There's a remake of journey to the center of the earth coming out on 25/9/2008

http://hoyts.ninemsn.com.au/movie/3130.asp

In this update of Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth," Brendan Fraser will portray a geologist who, with his teenage son, discovers a message hidden in an ancient artifact, leading them into a previously unseen world. "Journey 3-D" will be shot in live action, with the otherworldly landscapes and creatures supplied by high-definition, photo-real 3-D technology.

I thought some of you Jules Verne fans might like this(y)

Old (and unfortunate) news.

Of all the awful Journey to the Center of the Earth adaptations out there, the only good one is the 1959 classic. I hate to see this being raped by Brendan Fraiser with its cheap 3D gimmick. Ew.(n)

Stoo

indy34 said:
There's a remake of journey to the center of the earth coming out on 25/9/2008
I thought some of you Jules Verne fans might like this(y)
One day, 2 years ago, I came home from work and there was a letter in my mailbox informing me that location scouting
had begun for a new version of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and they were interested in looking at my condo!
Being a big Verne fan (and that is my favourite of his stoires), I was extremely excited. If it had been any other film I'd
never have contacted them because of the damage that could occur. None of the neighbours I spoke to received the
same letter.

So, I made an appointment, a photographer came over and took tons of photos. When I asked her what would my place
would be used as, she said, "Brendan Fraser's apartment." (!!!) Shortly after that, there was news that B.Fraser had
injured himself (burned?) and production was on hold. I was really hoping to my condo would be picked but I never heard
from them again!:( (It will be interesting to see what they chose instead...)
ResidentAlien said:
Of all the awful Journey to the Center of the Earth adaptations out there, the only good one is the 1959 classic.
This is very true and it's one of my favourite movies. I also have a soft spot for the
low-budget version, "Journey to the Center of Time" with Kenneth More.

Most American movies that were filmed in Montreal end up being big stinkers
(and there's a lot of them) so I would imagine this will be no different.

Paden

Although Verne's novel has its share of thrilling escapes and close calls, it is also imbued with a sense of wonder. The reader shares in Lidenbrock, Axel, and Hans's wonder as they make each new discovery in the hidden world. I remember that sense of awe that Verne managed to express so well as being one of the most engaging aspects of the story for me. It would be great if some filmmaker, with an earnest love for the source material, were to try to make a movie that was true to such elements of the novel. The fact that this remake stars Frasier leads me to believe that the people responsible are not heading in that direction. From the sound of it, I'll be expecting a new installment of the Mummy franchise: hold the undead and throw in a side order of dinosaurs.

Paden said:
Although Verne's novel has its share of thrilling escapes and close calls, it is also imbued with a sense of wonder. The reader shares in Lidenbrock, Axel, and Hans's wonder as they make each new discovery in the hidden world. I remember that sense of awe that Verne managed to express so well as being one of the most engaging aspects of the story for me. It would be great if some filmmaker, with an earnest love for the source material, were to try to make a movie that was true to such elements of the novel. The fact that this remake stars Frasier leads me to believe that the people responsible are not heading in that direction. From the sound of it, I'll be expecting a new installment of the Mummy franchise: hold the undead and throw in a side order of dinosaurs.

The 1959 version really does have a sense of wonder. Have you seen it?

Paden

No, I haven't. I saw the 1999 cable version which starred Treat Williams and was (at least for me) flat and uninspired. I also saw the 1989 version which was, putting it mildly, a complete disaster (it had Kathy Ireland in it...enough said). I've certainly heard of Levin's version, but have never gottne around to seeing it. Given the positive comments here, I'll have to seek it out.

One question though: is/are the Pat Boone song(s) bearable? :)

Stoo

I made a mistake about "Journey to the Center of Time". I meant the film, "Where Time Began" with Kenneth More from 1976.

Paden said:
It would be great if some filmmaker, with an earnest love for the source material, were to try to make a movie that was true to such elements of the novel.
Beleive it or not, the 2 versions, that come closest to book are 1 hr animated stories.
One also from '76 and another from France in 2001.
Paden said:
The fact that this remake stars Frasier leads me to believe that the people responsible are not heading in that direction.
I'm imagining it to be like the awful 1993 TV version where they traveled in a
machine resembling a spaceship! We shall see...
Paden said:
One question though: is/are the Pat Boone song(s) bearable?
Pat Boone is not as annoying as one might think. I've seen this movie so many times
that I actually sing Boone's version of James Joyce's "A Red, Red Rose" in the shower!:eek:
The hardest thing to get over in this version is Gertrude the Duck!
ResidentAlien said:
The 1959 version really does have a sense of wonder. Have you seen it?
The best version out there especially the remastered, widescreen DVD.
The music, the acting, the pacing, the shots, the speical effects...Excellent all around.

No Ticket

I wasn't expecting much from this film. Until I saw the trailer last night. The trailer actually made the film look like it would be pretty good. I'm, unexpectedly, somewhat excited for it now.

adventure_al

I love all the Jules Verne books. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth being my favourite actually.

I know he is a bit predictable and all but oddly enough I like Bredan Fraser.

I'm looking forward to this.

|ZiR|

Paden said:
No, I haven't. I saw the 1999 cable version which starred Treat Williams and was (at least for me) flat and uninspired.

Is it really so bad? I remember liking it when it came out, but I was only 11 at the time.

Paden said:
I also saw the 1989 version which was, putting it mildly, a complete disaster (it had Kathy Ireland in it...enough said).

She was awesomely bad in Alien From L.A.

Kooshmeister

ResidentAlien said:
Old (and unfortunate) news.

Of all the awful Journey to the Center of the Earth adaptations out there, the only good one is the 1959 classic.

Amen to that. I love that movie. James Mason is Professor Lindenbrook.

I swear they don't make movies like that one anymore. It even has a giant rolling boulder scene. :D

Stoo

Re: 1999 version:
[ZiR said:
]Is it really so bad? I remember liking it when it came out, but I was only 11 at the time.
For a TV movie, it's so-so, but the New Zealand setting and sub-plot with Bryan Brown distracts from the real story.
Different enough to make it interestiing but too far removed from the from the source material. The VHS release is shorter
but it still doesn't really help.
Kooshmeister said:
Amen to that. I love that movie. James Mason is Professor Lindenbrook.

I swear they don't make movies like that one anymore. It even has a giant rolling boulder scene. :D
You said it, Koosh. Gotta love that boulder! This is a true, classic and one that I watch often.
Great Bernard Herrman score and some stunning wide screen shots. Of all the great scenes,
I think my favourite is when the boiler explodes!

The digital 3-D stuff that I've seen (Terminator 3-D, Universal Studios and Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Disney)
is pretty impressive so this looks like it could be fun. Many of the set-pieces are straight from the book!

Near the opening of the trailer there are few shots of Brendan Fraser's apartment.
Watching that I was, like, "GAH!!!! That could have been MY CONDO!!!"

Kooshmeister

I'm hoping they'll be successful for him. Ever since the two Mummy movies my family and I has wanted to see Brendan Fraser do less comedic roles and more action-oriented ones, since, in my opinion, his role as Rick O'Connell proves he's got the chops to pull off being an action hero.

The Drifter

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Anyone want to see this film?
I am excited to go see it. Not many adventure flicks come out these days.

Montana_Jones

The Drifter

Thanks for the reply Montana.
I watched an old version of JttCoE years ago, but I can't remember which version it was.

Montana_Jones

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Thanks for the reply Montana.
I watched an old version of JttCoE years ago, but I can't remember which version it was.
I've seen the 1959 one but not the 1989 one.:confused: Way long ago too.