The Old Indy Chronicles DVD - Your opinions please?

T.E.Lawrence

Dear colleagues.
I am near the end of finishing "The Old Indy Chronicles" DVD that will include all of the old Indy segments plus Young Indy episode Promos. The source is Beowulf's DVD set.

In this stage I would like your opinions - especially about the Original Chrono Order list and Original Broadcasting order...do you think that Original Broadcasting order is fine...and would you agree that original Travels with Father could be listed as July 1910?

I guess that is it for now...I still have to create Menu for TV promos...Let me know what you think and are the orders ok?

In the links below you can look at the DVD screenshoots...In this stage I can still change them and shift them - that is the reason why I am asking.

The DVD will be in NTSC format.

Screenshoots:

Menu Index:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2838/menuindex.jpg

Original Chronological Order 1
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9500/chrono01.jpg

Original Chronological Order 2
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9131/chrono02.jpg

Original Chronological Order 3
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9701/chrono03.jpg

Original Chronological Order 4
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5867/chrono04.jpg

Original Broadcasting Order 1
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/364/broadcast01.jpg

Original Broadcasting Order 2
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4108/broadcast02.jpg

Original Broadcasting Order 3
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8635/broadcast03.jpg

Original Broadcasting Order 4
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5958/broadcast04.jpg

You know, I don't really know which way is better. Probably in chronological order as the series isn't really connected by the original broadcast order.

I'm glad you were able to get all of this done. Better to have someone like you have them then me who just sat on them.

T.E.Lawrence

Edward The Head said:
You know, I don't really know which way is better. Probably in chronological order as the series isn't really connected by the original broadcast order.

I'm glad you were able to get all of this done. Better to have someone like you have them then me who just sat on them.

Edward, fantastic to read you!!!
By the way - the DVD will have option to browse through CHRONO order and also BROADCAST order so everyone can choose directly from the main menu what she/he likes better.

Your copy is on the way - THANKSSSSSSSSS ZILLION TIMES ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
Dear colleagues.
I am near the end of finishing "The Old Indy Chronicles" DVD that will include all of the old Indy segments...
This was going to be my plan after I finished the last remaining, chapters for my The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles thread but now that you're doing this, I may consider abandoning the project.:( (Just as I was about to upload Part 8, too...DAMN!)

Personally, I prefer (and chose to show my copies of the bookends) in broadcast order because that *is* the chronological order of Old Indy's life (except for the Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en hiccup). Broadcast order also retains greater nostalgic value for those who remember watching them on TV. Furthermore, it *can't* be rearranged chronologically because that would mean splitting up the "Jackal" bookends with Indy in the museum with the kids.

I see you're using the image which I posted in the other thread. Although I was never crazy about the composition, it kind of works in this case!

Other things of note:
-I've always had the "Travels" date as July. (The DVD timeline says Aug & Sept but there are a lot things wrong in the DVD timeline...)
-Since "Jackal" and "Travels" were never shown as separate episodes, I'd use their original titles and not list them with location/date.
-Why are you including "Travels"? It doesn't have Old Indy bookends.
-The last episode shown was Paris 1919, not 1916. Probably just a typo.
-You have "Florence", "Prague", "Palestine" and "Transylvania" down as UNAIRED. This needs to be changed since they were aired in Europe & Australia.
-Why are you including "Florence", "Prague", "Palestine", "Istanbul" and "Paris 1919"? They didn't have bookends.

What is the quality like on Beowulf's copies? Consistent or mixed?

Edward The Head said:
Better to have someone like you have them then me who just sat on them.
Hope you didn't crush 'em!:D

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
This was going to be my plan after I finished the last remaining, chapters for my The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles thread but now that you're doing this, I may consider abandoning the project.:( (Just as I was about to upload Part 8, too...DAMN!)

Personally, I prefer (and chose to show my copies of the bookends) in broadcast order because that *is* the chronological order of Old Indy's life (except for the Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en hiccup). Broadcast order also retains greater nostalgic value for those who remember watching them on TV. Furthermore, it *can't* be rearranged chronologically because that would mean splitting up the "Jackal" bookends with Indy in the museum with the kids.

I see you're using the image which I posted in the other thread. Although I was never crazy about the composition, it kind of works in this case!

Other things of note:
-I've always had the "Travels" date as July. (The DVD timeline says Aug & Sept but there are a lot things wrong in the DVD timeline...)
-Since "Jackal" and "Travels" were never shown as separate episodes, I'd use their original titles and not list them with location/date.
-You have "Florence", "Prague", "Palestine" and "Transylvania" down as UNAIRED. This needs to be changed since they were aired in Europe & Australia.
-Why are you including "Florence", "Prague", "Palestine", "Istanbul" and "Paris 1919"? They didn't have bookends.

isnt travels with father now taking place in early 1910 prior to journey of radiance, because they mention in the china segment that they will be going home after their stay in china.

Flannery10

dr.jones1986 said:
isnt travels with father now taking place in early 1910 prior to journey of radiance, because they mention in the china segment that they will be going home after their stay in china.

Well, the new versions don't have the best reputation among the Old Indiana Jones fans, so generally we tend to disregard any changes made for the so-called "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones".;)

In any case, you're right though. For some reason they decided to switch Journey of Radiance and Travels with Father. I can't see why they would that, since none of the two indicates that the journey is over, but well I guess they just did.

I really like the idea of a DVD set. Keep the thread up do date guys with the development. :hat:

Stoo

Stoo said:
Why are you including "Florence", "Prague", "Palestine", "Istanbul" and "Paris 1919"? They didn't have bookends.
Slight error: Of course, "Florence" has bookends so please, IGNORE that in the list above.
dr.jones1986 said:
Flannery10 said:
In any case, you're right though. For some reason they decided to switch Journey of Radiance and Travels with Father. I can't see why they would that, since none of the two indicates that the journey is over, but well I guess they just did.
The precise date for "Travels" is probably the most elusive in the entire series and we've talked about it before. Because of so much conflicting info, a proper placement for "Travels With Father" is still up for debate. (Though, "Peking" being last makes the most sense...)

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:

Hi Stoo...thanks so much for you comments. You don't have to abandon the project. It would be interesting to have 2 versions...we can also exchange the DVD's and after that maybe to make another Final and the best version.

Stoo said:

Yes...probably also there will be another opinions so I decided to put on the Menu Index 2 options so anyone can choose what he likes. Yes I am aware of the Jackal problem. By the way in some countries some TV stations decided to split Jackal in 2 episodes but it was not clean cut - there is hard to find good moment to cut when old Indy is in a museum preparing to talk about Mexico. I have seen versions with the cuted episode where even the TV station has inserted a title "MEXICO March 1916" - I am not sure is that a official Lucasfilm black screen title with a year (like in other episodes) or TV simply station decided to manualy edit it and create it because I have never heard that there is official Jackal Mexico splitted episode (prior to new versions) but again maybe I am wrong.

Stoo said:

I didn't even know that you are a source. Yes I think also it works. I will contact you Stoo in private in the next few days. I would like also to send you the DVD.

Stoo said:
Other things of note:

Yes it seems it is a question of debate - well I will then leave it as it this - maybe in further updates or DVD versions it will be settled.

Stoo said:

Yes I was thinking a lot about this. Altough Old Indy is a general idea, I have decided at the end to join other sections that were unique for original broadcasting before they were changed. So Travels ended up in the mix. I am felling somehow more comfortable with this as in this way the original idea of the series is preserved.

Stoo said:

Just checked - on the Broadcasting 4 and Chrono 4 Menus there is Paris 1919 episode.

Stoo said:

Yes that is again the same issue as with the Travel thing. I have decided to put them as they have the "Place and Year" listed before the beginning of those episode altough there are no bookends. As some months have been later changed and that year-title was deleted (for example in original chronology Petrograd is happening before Prague but Prague is now joined with Barcelona) somehow I also listed those to preserve original idea of episodes. I am aware that this approach can be question of debate - but as I said I am felling more comfortable that those short intros are present and restored now. Another or future DVD versions can exclude that.

I am aware that unaired episodes were broadcasted in Europe. But then again as they are never aired in US they are directly colliding with Original Broadcasting order - where to put them - is it simply good just to insert them at the end in Chronological order as I did - hard decisions? - at the end I did that just but I also pointed the difference that they are Unaired (maybe the better term would be Unaired in US) so that is the reason why the unaired ones are in the the chronological order after the broadcasting order (who know what the order would be if they were broadcasted).

Stoo said:

Beowulf copies are mostly transfered from VHS NTSC SP STEREO ABC TV recordings. They are very good for a VHS. Of course most ABC end credits have voice overs. But some episodes (unaired mostly) are coming from european TV recordings (SKY 1, SBS - converted from Pal to NTSC) and there the quality is mixed - from mono to 2nd generation copies - but all in together the set is very good.

And of course I didn't crash them :)
If you are interested let me know I will be glad to help.

I was searching for a few years for Beowulf set - at the end I was not sucesfull to establish contact with him altough I was able to find his email address. Probably it was old.

But after some research I was able to find the Great Edward - noble user of this forum who sent them to me and I am forever greatful to him. As I know how I was desperate to have them I will be definetly glad to help as I understand the pain :D

Stay in touch and Best Regards.

Last edited:

T.E.Lawrence

Ok I am reactivating this thread (by now you will probably now why).

I hope that everyone is included from the old list - If I missed anyone, don't hesitate to let me know. Check up your PM's. Demitasse is also included as Stoo requested.

Anyway, here you can post your comments and reviews when you get the PM gift :)

Best Whishes dear friends and thanks once again for beautiful IndyCast episode.

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
Anyway, here you can post your comments and reviews when you get the PM gift :)
O.K. A couple of comments for you, T.E.Lawrence:

1) I really liked the music tracks that you chose for the menu pages. Love the spinning globe buttons, too. Very nice!

2) Your copies of the George Hall bookends for the 2 "Mystery of the Blues" episodes are MUCH better quality than mine! Thanks a lot.:hat:

3) Something NEW for me!(y) For the TV movie version of "Scandal of 1920", I have NEVER SEEN that opening logo before! (I have both the seperate episodes and the TV movie but when recording the broadcast back in '93, I missed the 1st couple of minutes. A few days later, I managed to get the opening from a French TV station but the title logo was a generic "Le Scandale de 1920" in white, as seen on my YouTube video: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 7). The title logo on the VHS/DVD version is very different so I'm quite pleased to have this.:)

Even though I already have all of the Old Indy stuff, thank you for your generosity, T.E.!:hat:

foreverwingnut

I was truly bothered by the old Indiana Jones who narrated the events in the original Chronicles. Here we saw Indy as a feeble has-been with only one eye, left with nothing in life but stories of a bygone age. The actor's appearance, stature, and voice was far-removed from Harrison Ford and it was painful for me to see Indy reduced in such a polarizing way. Now that we've seen just how great Harrison Ford looks in his golden years- trim, buff, and still dashing- it further removes Indy from the senior persona we were shown in the original Chronicles. I'm all for the later DVD sets that show the episodes in chronological order because they omitted the feeble, old Indy. But, on a note unrelated to the old Indy: chronological order doesn't seem important when the youngest Indy is concerned. His boyhood travels with his parents and tutor were seperate adventures without a strong thread to tie them altogether. The teen Indy, however, had set off on adventures that would hurl him into The Great War, where chronological order is a must for the sake of historical reference. I learned so much about WWI from that series that I was able to hold my own in lengthy debates about politics and campaigns of the war with a history teacher. I loved the Young Indy Adventures and can't wait to have the series for my very own.

Junior Jones

foreverwingnut said:
Now that we've seen just how great Harrison Ford looks in his golden years- trim, buff, and still dashing- it further removes Indy from the senior persona we were shown in the original Chronicles.

There's still a good 35 years between Crystal Skull and Old Indy. How many ninety-year-olds do you know that are still "trim, buff, and...dashing"? My father-in-law is ninety and still looks pretty good, but can hardly stand up straight due to back problems. I think Old Indy is in great shape considering all the wear and tear he's put himself through.

Plaristes

Junior Jones said:
There's still a good 35 years between Crystal Skull and Old Indy. How many ninety-year-olds do you know that are still "trim, buff, and...dashing"? My father-in-law is ninety and still looks pretty good, but can hardly stand up straight due to back problems. I think Old Indy is in great shape considering all the wear and tear he's put himself through.

Yeah, how many other 90 year olds can still climb trees?

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
I was truly bothered by the old Indiana Jones who narrated the events in the original Chronicles...
Hi, Foreverwingnut. Welcome to The Raven!:hat:

Considering this thread is meant specifically for T.E.Lawrence's DVD project, I'll reply to you (and my friend, Junior Jones) in the main Old Indy thread*:
The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles.

*The most popular thread in The Raven's Young Indy section (highest number of views & replies).(y)