Introduction

Gerry2001

Should've introduced myself first. Hello everybody, my name is Gerry. I am good ol' pals with Stoo and I have an interesting point to make about the Capt. America film and future possible Indy movies. I am also a huge fan of "Raiders," by the way, one of the best films ever in my humble opinion. It was also voted second greatest film on Empire's 500 movies in case you didn't know. woohoo :whip:

http://www.empireonline.com/500/1.asp

kongisking

Let's try this again...

Welcome to the site, Gerry. You'll find a lot of folks who agree with you about Raiders here. And as it happens, I have a friendship with Stoo as well, though clearly in a different way (I know him just from this site, nowhere else). He loves to playfully drag me through the mud, and vice versa. Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here.

The Drifter

So, it's been you who's been wetting the toilet paper and throwing and splattering it all against the bathroom walls, making a mess everywhere!?
*Eyes him closely*
Welcome to The Raven...

Stoo

Oh My G_d!

OH MY G_D!
OH MY G_D!

:D (y) :D (y) :D (y)

You've had a Raven account since April 2011???:confused::confused::confused: You told me that you read this forum once in awhile but you never told me that you joined up! It must have been right after we went to see the Indy exhibit earlier that same month.

A word or two about my pal:
Gerry & I have been buddies since starting art college in 1984 and have been the best of friends ever since. He is a very accomplished guitarist/singer/songwriter who is also a superb illustrator and he even has lady-killer looks. Plus, he has actually made me fall over/choke with laughter on more than one occasion. Unlike me, he has an Indy jacket (Wested).

I've kept my mouth shut here about which 'Indy person' he knows but maybe...just maybe...Gerry will feel like sharing shome shtories.;) Yesh? No?

P.S. Gerr, you joined The Raven on 27 April 2011 and your first post was 28 April 2013: Exactly 2 years + 1 day later. Freaky, man, freaky.:eek:

P.P.S. Originally posted by VP
welcome_tumma.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

Smiffy said:
Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world...
Jusht when I was trying to shtay out...
Enter: my brother-in-armsh.

Let's hope he shares his stories because the regular Raven readers should enjoy 'em. Another friend (our "3rd Musketeer") & I are VERY envious! Most of you folks would be, too, and that is 100% guaranteed. (If the situations are too personal and he chooses not to talk, then that would be understandable...so no pressure, Gerr! Don't mean to put you on the spot.;))

Saw the other thread. That's Gerry gone crazy.:p

Stoo

The Drifter said:
I take it your friend knows Sean Connery? Interesting...
Yesh. Inter-eshting, indeed...I'm waiting for him to schpill.

In the meantime:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4E5qEp5snoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

ListenLiveLong

:hat:

Salutations, you are welcome here. I see you've been a lurker for quite some time and it's good that you've finally gotten to posting. So enjoy the Raven bar, and always be thirsty enough. Keep good care of the bar, and don't let it get burned down again.

Gerry2001

Beans

Stoo said:

Stoo! I promised you to schpill some beans, so here we go. :D

My sister and her husband have a beautiful place in the Bahamas where I've had the good fortune to visit many times over the years. On a couple of occasions, when I was visiting, they had guests over from the neighbourhood. At one of these parties, I played guitar in the house band and during a break between sets, I went towards the bar and on my way I hear someone call me over. I turned and as I walked up to greet the person I realize that It was none other than Dr. Henry Jones Senior, Mr. Connery, himself. Holy $&@#! I thought. He took his hand out, shook my hand, and said "Well done". "Thank you very much, it's an honour" I replied, with a big cheesy smile. He's a tall fellow, at least 6"2'. He later actually danced in front of our band, if you can believe that. He is a longtime friend, golf and tennis buddy, of my brother in law's. I've been lucky enough to hang out with Mr. Connery and his family at another occasion too. A real classy gentleman and his family are very nice people. (y)

I never had the nerve to ask him anything about his movies, oh well, maybe next time. Although retired now, he is still very active with his golf and tennis playing, as always, and seems very happy with his retirement, which is well deserved. I don't think he will be doing any more movies. :(

Stoo said:
P.S. Gerr, you joined The Raven on 27 April 2011 and your first post was 28 April 2013: Exactly 2 years + 1 day later. Freaky, man, freaky.

Yeah, I did take a while to actually post something, I just enjoyed reading them, especially the threads on your "Raiders of the Lost Archives" and the Grimoire Indy comic book. ;)

Stoo

Ye-e-eah, Gerr!(y) The pool party story is good, for sure, but my favourite is still the 1st one on the beach!:)

Believe me, folks, Gerry has more stories to tell and they are much better to hear from him in person (with the imitations, physical mannerisms, etc.).

If you won't believe the stories, well...perhaps it's because they are too unbelievable? Trust me, they are not. Ever since I joined The Raven in 2005, I've kept my best friend's Connery-connection quiet but Gerry decided to join up so 'the cat is out of the bag' now!:p

Bring on the shtories, Mishter!:whip:

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:

In the meantime:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4E5qEp5snoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OOOOOHHH MAAANN!!! IS THAT SERIOUSLY YOUR BAND!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! Like the MONKEES too, I can see you guys were also a big influence on the Beatles! Think I just found a new top fave band! I am now officially you guys' BIGGEST FAN! And you love Raiders, to boot!? And you're friends with Stoo, and have rubbed elbows with Sir Shaken, Not Schlurred!? AWESOME!!!

Yes, welcome indeed! Seriously, I am a huge music fan. My Dad's a professional bass player, and I'm an aspiring musician. Hearing your band inspires me to pick up the guitar again! Gerry, your voice in that song reminds me of George Harrison the most, although I'm sure you're quite versatile.
Love the retro mod style of your video too! And when comparing to Beatles, I'm thinking of their output that had more musical chops such as "And your bird can sing". Of course I love many styles and genres of music, but in that same creative vein, I've been enjoying the Under the Covers Vol's by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. Always had a thing for the lead Bangle! If you haven't heard them yet you may want to check them out, as you might enjoy them.
In the meantime, I've gotta know where i can purchase a CD with that song, and more of your music, (yes I still use CD's, and vinyl too). Don't know if the mods will allow you to post a link, but if not, feel free to private message me. I look forward to you regaling us with your stories, and it always nice having another Indy loving soul on board.

I often roamed the halls before I joined, and now that I'm on, I don't get to visit as often as I would like too. So don't be surprised if there's a delay sometimes in my responses to posts, etc.
Stoo, I'm surprised that you didn't half-nelson him into posting earlier, but if you're the reason he set foot in the RAVEN, Thank You! Also, thank you Stoo, for forshing hish hand about fesshing up to hish connectshions!

I vote Gerry's band as the new RAVEN BAR BAND!! Yeah, you could say we're a friendly lot here.
Welcome, this drinks on me.

Stoo

Hey, Sea Monarch,

Glad that you liked the video. It's from 2007 (song from 2006). You're interested in getting the CD? Great!(y) Let me clear out my PM inbox...

Gerry has 2 solo albums (under the name, The Gerry Alvarez Odyssey) and 5 with his previous band (The Gruesomes; 4 studio, 1 live, plus a couple of singles). Just look up "The Gruesomes" on YouTube and you'll find a lot of stuff. They were/are a Canadian band from Montreal but have toured in the U.S. and Europe.

Here's a fun, Gruesomes interview with MuchMusic by the gorgeous Erika Ehm, with live clips in Toronto. Despite what the info says, this broadcast is from 1986.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD02zs53VvRCH5k&v=wfLpDaT9jC4.

Cool that you mention Matthew Sweet because Gerry & I like him and used to trip out on the excellent, "Girlfriend", album back in the early '90s and would jam together with the song, "Divine Intervention". Excellent songwriter, that Matthew Sweet. I saw him in concert at a small Montreal club c.1996.

As far as Gerry's connection with Sean Connery is concerned, I never mentioned it before out of respect:

1) The connection wasn't mine.
2) Some of Gerry's stories cross into Connery's private life.
3) I kept it quiet out of modesty. (Are your reading this, Indy's brother?;))
4) Until 2009, I never told Gerry that I posted on this website.

It would be cool enough to meet Connery but the fact that Henry Sr./James Bond knows Gerry on a first-name basis makes the connection even more special!:)

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:
Hey, Sea Monarch,

Glad that you liked the video. It's from 2007 (song from 2006). You're interested in getting the CD? Great!(y) Let me clear out my PM inbox...

Gerry has 2 solo albums (under the name, The Gerry Alvarez Odyssey) and 5 with his previous band (The Gruesomes; 4 studio, 1 live, plus a couple of singles). Just look up "The Gruesomes" on YouTube and you'll find a lot of stuff. They were/are a Canadian band from Montreal but have toured in the U.S. and Europe.

Here's a fun, Gruesomes interview with MuchMusic by the gorgeous Erika Ehm, with live clips in Toronto. Despite what the info says, this broadcast is from 1986.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD02zs53VvRCH5k&v=wfLpDaT9jC4.

Cool that you mention Matthew Sweet because Gerry & I like him and used to trip out on the excellent, "Girlfriend", album back in the early '90s and would jam together with the song, "Divine Intervention". Excellent songwriter, that Matthew Sweet. I saw him in concert at a small Montreal club c.1996.

As far as Gerry's connection with Sean Connery is concerned, I never mentioned it before out of respect:

1) The connection wasn't mine.
2) Some of Gerry's stories cross into Connery's private life.
3) I kept it quiet out of modesty. (Are your reading this, Indy's brother?;))
4) Until 2009, I never told Gerry that I posted on this website.

It would be cool enough to meet Connery but the fact that Henry Sr./James Bond knows Gerry on a first-name basis makes the connection even more special!:)

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me. Was starting to think you and Gerry didn't get to read my post yet. Figured I'd eventually try a PM if I didn't hear back from ya. I totally understood why you personally wouldn't share Gerry's biz for him. I was just surprised you hadn't talked him into/ led him to The Raven earlier. Then again he's probably not a braggart either;)

I appreciate the info. So judging by the tag on that video, I understand that as being one of his solo works. Well, as soon as I have some disposable income, I'll plan on purchasing some discs. Maybe all of them.:D I'll contact Gerry/You when that time comes. Meanwhile I'll try not to be a stranger, and to stay more in touch through PM's, (just finally started using them lately, you see).

That's Sweet you dig Matthew! I heard of him, back in the day, but embarrassed to say, I didn't really get exposed to his music till a few years later. I do dig Girlfriend, and his greatest hits, as well as the aforementioned Under the Covers 1&2, and I plan to collect the rest of his discography, one of these days.
May sound funny, but I don't own an Ipod yet, and I don't illegally burn songs from artists, (unless maybe on the occasion that their work is out of print), as I like to support the work they do. I have a couple of friends who's music collection probably dwarfs my giant collection, yet they never spent a dime on many of the artists they "love". Thanks again, catch ya soon.(y)

Stoo

Sea Monarch, if you are strapped for cash, I have a few extras which can be sent to you for free. If you like Beatles songs with chops, you will love his solo output. Guaranteed.

I really want Gerr to tell the story of when he first encountered Connery on the beach!:D (An unexpected moment). Even if he does tell it, the full effect will be lost without seeing & hearing him relate it in person (with the accent, mannerisms and all). The situation is too funny & amazing to be true...but it IS true and Gerry is a lucky b*stard.:whip:

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:
Sea Monarch, if you are strapped for cash, I have a few extras which can be sent to you for free. If you like Beatles songs with chops, you will love his solo output. Guaranteed.
Wow, seriously? That's too cool! Stoo, you are a gentleman, and a scholar, for offering. Tell you what, let me think about it. I'll PM you.

Sea Monarch said:
I really want Gerr to tell the story of when he first encountered Connery on the beach!:D (An unexpected moment). Even if he does tell it, the full effect will be lost without seeing & hearing him relate it in person (with the accent, mannerisms and all). The situation is too funny & amazing to be true...but it IS true and Gerry is a lucky b*stard.:whip:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll get a kick out of it. Looking forward to hearing it told. Maybe, If Gerry likes, he can post a video of him telling it, impressions and all. Thanks again.

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:
Wow, seriously? That's too cool! Stoo, you are a gentleman, and a scholar, for offering. Tell you what, let me think about it. I'll PM you.

Sea Monarch said:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll get a kick out of it. Looking forward to hearing it told. Maybe, If Gerry likes, he can post a video of him telling it, impressions and all. Thanks again.

Gerry2001

Thanks Sea Monarch for the compliment, really glad you like the tune! I have seen Matthew Sweet live twice and the Bangles once. Great stuff they do.

As for the first time I met Mr. Connery, yes it was a surprise. For many years I knew where his house was and would often go by it but never seen him. Pretty much gave up on that possibility, what do you expect right? I even read a biography on his life on the plane to the Bahamas once. So, one day I was walking back to the Beach Hut to meet my sister, get something to eat, and when I got there I saw her talking to an older gentleman sitting at a picnic table eating fries. Not thinking at all, I walked closer and I noticed a sailors tattoo on his forearm, I immediately thought... wait a minute that tattoo, that's... that's... Sean Connery, WOW! They were talking about a movie my sister liked on a painter and he asked "Was it a good movie?," she introduced me and I shook his hand, said hello, I just smiled goofily, didn't say anything else... stunned. Later she asked me to take a copy over to his house where I met his wife, nice lady, she's from France.

Another time I remember at the Beach hut we were all hanging out, my brother in law was telling Mr. Connery that my little niece wasn't feeling well and he said "Was it the booze?," thought that was funny. There you go :hat:

Last edited:

Sea Monarch

Gerry2001 said:
Thanks Sea Monarch for the compliment

You're most welcome! (y)

Gerry2001 said:
really glad you like the tune! I have seen Matthew Sweet live twice and the Bangles once. Great stuff they do.

As for the first time I met Mr. Connery, yes it was a surprise. For many years I knew where his house was and would often go by it but never seen him. Pretty much gave up on that possibility, what do you expect right? I even read a biography on his life on the plane to the Bahamas once. So, one day I was walking back to the Beach Hut to meet my sister, get something to eat, and when I got there I saw her talking to an older gentleman sitting at a picnic table eating fries. Not thinking at all, I walked closer and I noticed a sailors tattoo on his forearm, I immediately thought... wait a minute that tattoo, that's... that's... Sean Connery, WOW! They were talking about a movie my sister liked on a painter and he asked "Was it a good movie?," she introduced me and I shook his hand, said hello, I just smiled goofily, didn't say anything else... stunned. Later she asked me to take a copy over to his house where I met his wife, nice lady, she's from France.

Another time I remember at the Beach hut we were all hanging out, my brother in law was telling Mr. Connery that my little niece wasn't feeling well and he said "Was it the booze?," thought that was funny. There you go :hat:

That's Awesome!!! He sounds as charming in real life, as he is in his movies. That's great, that he was so warm and approachable. I tend to try, not to make a huge deal out of meeting celebrities, because they're just people with flaws, and insecurities too like the rest of us, and usually if they're healthy, they like to be treated that way. But I get annoyed, when they're arrogant, and demand special treatment, or don't appreciate their fans. On the flip side, I dislike when "fans" act overly sensitive, and intrusive, and don't give celebrities any grace, or space. They have bad days too.

But, would be kinda hard not to flip (inwardly, at least,) over meeting Sir Connery. The Man's a cinematic icon, and legend! And his body of work has touched the lives of most everyone who have ever enjoyed movies! Even without his celebrity status, I admire what a great artist he is, at what he does! I can just picture myself, trying to keep my composure, upon meeting him, and then saying something, just like Guy "Spartacus" Patterson said to Del Paxton, in That Thing You Do. "....but I really liked it, and I have ALL your movies! You ARE my Biggest Fan!" :D What an honor!

I take it that the "copy" you refer to your sister asking you to take over, was a copy of your music. I hope he enjoyed it. (y) Sure he did :D Although, maybe he has to listen to it with earmuffs, the way he had to listen to The Beatles, in Goldfinger! "My dear, thar are shomethings you shimply don't do...." That's a high compliment for a rocker. (y)

I have to admit, I may be more speechless, if I were to meet Sussana Hoffs in person! Hahaha! ;) Do you know what album they were promoting? Everything is probably my favorite, but I like it all! (y)