National Treasure

Lon

The trailer for the new movie National Treasure is online. The film teams Nicolas Cage and Jerry Bruckheimer again for an Indiana Jonesish adventure. It looks like is has all of the Bruckheimer elements to make an entertaining action-packed movie. What does everyone else think?

http://nationaltreasure.movies.go.com./main.html

Finn

Staff member
One word: Promising.

If it's even half as good as the <i>Pirates</i>, it's worth watching.

grumpus

hmm first time I've heard about it, but i must say that it looks very good indeed. i might have to fork over that $6 for a ticket

Joe Brody

I can't wait for this film. I hope it salvages what's turning out to be a sorry-***ed year for film. Christopher Plummer is fantastic.

[I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't find the preview.]

Ska

Wow! This is also the first time I've ever heard of this movie. Now at least I have something to look forward to this fall. This sure looks like a movie for Indy fans! Can't wait... The trailer (although choppy on my comp) was good, and the movie looks very interesting with the whole Dec. of Independence idea and the pyramid/eye on the dollar bill thing.

Please, oh please, for the love of everything good and sacred, let there be some pyramid adventuring!

Ska

Tequileros

Well the story is quite original :D.

The piramid on the dollar being a real treasure and a map with codes on the declaration of indepence...

I'm certainly looking forward to this movie. Bring it on.

Wow. That looks pretty cool. The idea of double meanings for our nation's symbols and such, one of those meanings codes, clues, and hints, is very intriguing. Everything about this looks cool. I'll be hoping to see this one.

Finn

Staff member
While waiting for this movie... has any of you thought about reading <i>books</i>? There are a bunch dealing with same kind of issues.

S

skywlkrinc

I hope Nick Cage doesn't ruin it. He's not known for being the best of actors.

Luke

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
While waiting for this movie... has any of you thought about reading <i>books</i>? There are a bunch dealing with same kind of issues.

Dan Brown and his college buddies.... ;)

Finn

Staff member
For one. There's more though.

<small>But I admit, I had those ones in mind, too.</small>

Ska

Not to change the subject, but I just finished Temple by Matthew Reilly and have started into some Clive Clusser (spelling ???) books.

Ska

Joe Brody

skywlkrinc said:
I hope Nick Cage doesn't ruin it. He's not known for being the best of actors.

Luke, come on now. Cage is Bruckheimer's everyman of choice -- and while Cage's spouse-selection skills may be suspect, he's a solid leading man. Sure he has his critics, but have you watched either 'Leaving Las Vegas' or 'Red Rock West'?

[. . . .and Attila, I'm thinking you're right about that Mason connection . . . . and I'm getting my trowel and apron ready 'cause I'm thinking Palehorse is getting ready for a Mason's extravaganza.]

S

skywlkrinc

Joe Brody said:
Luke, come on now. Cage is Bruckheimer's everyman of choice -- and while Cage's spouse-selection skills may be suspect, he's a solid leading man. Sure he has his critics, but have you watched either 'Leaving Las Vegas' or 'Red Rock West'?
I have seen Leaving Las Vegas, but have never seen Red Rock West. I enjoy Cage's movies. I like the fact that he takes different rolls and does varying genres of movies. However, most of the time his performance seems wooden or hollow. Personally, I don't care about Cage's spouse choosing skills, nor do I care whether or not he he prefers his toilet paper to pull from over the top or from underneath. I do care if his movies are enjoyable and it helps my enjoyment for him to play a character in which he doesn't seem wooden.

For instance, Windtalkers. I enjoyed this movie. Why? Because I liked the subject matter. I am glad that a movie was finally made portraying the Navajo code talkers in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. Was Nick Cage good in this movie? No, absolutely not. He was hollow. He didn't make me believe that he had a hearing problem. He didn't make me believe that he was a Marine. Worse than that, he didn't make me believe he was Sgt. Joe Enders. He ran around hosing Japanese soldiers laughing maniacly, in the novel the character was more professional, gunning down the enemy with a quiet hatred.

On the other hand, Face Off, and Gone in 60 Seconds he was believable and that believability made those movies that much better for me. He was also good in The Rock, but his performace was again hollow in Con Air and City of Angels.

Nick Cage, in my opinion is good in about every other movie he is in while the rest his performace seems strained and lacking in energy.

Luke

EDIT:
P.S. - Sorry about the novel I just wrote
whip.gif

Joe Brody

skywlkrinc said:
P.S. - Sorry about the novel I just wrote
whip.gif

Don't be sorry. That was a Hell of a break-down -- especially your assessment of Cage's performance in 'Windtalkers'. . . . . and you got me square on referencing irrelevant garbage like Cage's personal life. I'd sincerely like to get your read on Cage's performance in 'Red Rock' -- I also got a kick out of his over-the-top performance in 'Kiss of Death', if you haven't seen it you may want to check that out as well.