Indy 4 Blu-ray DVD

romantico

Also this morning, we haven't verified this in any way, so file it heavily in the Rumor Mill category. But our friends over at Blu-ray.com have learned at CES that THX is starting prep on a future Blu-ray release of Steven Spielberg's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That would make sense, as Spielberg is known to prefer the BD format. It is, of course, a Paramount title.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

(scroll about 3/4's down)

oki9Sedo

There's nothing there that isn't obvious....the film's out in May 2008, so an October/November release would make sense.

Although its interesting that they might not release it on HD-DVD.

Michael24

I'd like for this to still come out on standard DVD, but if it's Blu-Ray only, then I guess I'll have to save up for a new player even though I don't really want to make a switch just yet.

oki9Sedo

Michael24 said:
I'd like for this to still come out on standard DVD, but if it's Blu-Ray only, then I guess I'll have to save up for a new player even though I don't really want to make a switch just yet.

By then we'll probably know for sure which format has won, so it'll be safe for you to make the upgrade.

yodazone

I remember Michael Bay was really against the "HD-DVD only" release and lack of a Blu-Ray release of the Transformers movie and that was a Dreamworks release.

Who said Spielberg was a supporter of Blu-Ray??

So far, it's Universal, Paramount & Dreamworks titles that are still "HD-DVD" exclusive.

Digital Bits also had a bunch of articles in the "Rumor mill" section about the Ultimate box set of the Star Wars 30th Anniversary collection that was to come out in 2007. That one never came either. Rumors Rumors....

:whip: :whip: :whip:

commontone

Michael24 said:

I think we're still a few years away from new releases skipping normal DVD and phasing it out. I still only know one person with a high-definition TV, and nobody I know is really planning on getting one any time soon...they're still at premium prices. I bet by November 2008, Blu-Ray players will be just starting to be affordable to the masses ($125 or so).

It really sounds like HD-DVD will lose out, given all the studios' decisions. In terms of the actual video/sound experience, the two formats are so close it doesn't really matter, neither really has an edge technically speaking...but it's kind of similar to SACD vs. DVD-Audio. Few normal everyday people would notice a difference between the two, or care, yet each side has its fierce proponents in the industry.

Michael24

oki9Sedo said:
By then we'll probably know for sure which format has won, so it'll be safe for you to make the upgrade.

True. And I do like that the players for both new formats will still play standard DVDs, because when the time comes that I finally do upgrade to a new format player, I have no interest in repurchasing my entire DVD collection and would likely only start picking up new releases on the new format. (Aside from any "Special Editions" of course that I could replace an older title with. For instance, I would gladly ditch my standard DIRTY HARRY DVDs for that long-rumored HD/Blu-Ray Special Edition box set. :D )

WhipItGood

No doubt KOTCS will be released on standard DVD as well, since a clear winner between BR and HD will have to be determined before standard DVDs ever get phased out.

But for those in the market for an eventual high-def player upgrade, I suggest researching models of whichever format to see their ratings on how well they upconvert standard DVDs as well. Some high-def players may play their own format great, but do poor jobs upconverting standard discs, so be careful and smart. Whether you choose BR or HD, how well your machine plays standard discs will make a difference in how long you can forestall replacing your DVDs with hi-def.

I have a newer model Panasonic Blu-Ray and was stunned to see how good my Indy box set discs play on it. They're still not high-def, but amazing how much better they look via the player upconvert on an HDTV (32" LCD). I can only imagine how fantastic the quadrilogy will look in high-def!

oki9Sedo

It will definitely, definitely be on standard DVD. Even if there was a clear-cut winner now it'll take a year or two to phase them out.

The question is whether it'll be on Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD, or just Blu-Ray.

WhipItGood

Earlier this week, the Financial Times ran their report that Paramount was "poised to drop its support of HD-DVD" after Warner Brothers bailed on the format and went Blu-Ray.

It's said Paramount has denied this immediate move, but they may simply not want the story to get ahead of them since the news from Warners caught everyone (especially Toshiba) by surprise right before CES.

Para's HD-exclusivity deal seems to have an escape clause if Warners backed Blu-Ray. Speculation exists that DreamWorks (i.e. Spielberg) might well have the same exit clause since their contracts were completed at the same time, and they have close distribution ties to Paramount.

If Paramount goes Blu, so will DreamWorks, and that leaves Universal holding the HD bag which should end the format war.

My guess is that if Paramount is even planning to drop HD-DVD, they won't bother producing the Indy series in that format at all ? only on Blu-Ray and standard DVDs. Watch the headlines, we might know soon.

As for Spielberg preferring one format over the other, I haven't heard of proof. Only one of this films have even been released in hi-def format so far (CE3K), and that was Blu-Ray only because Sony owns Columbia. Not really much choice for Steven on that one.

WhipItGood

commontone said:
In terms of the actual video/sound experience, the two formats are so close it doesn't really matter, neither really has an edge technically speaking...but it's kind of similar to SACD vs. DVD-Audio. Few normal everyday people would notice a difference between the two, or care, yet each side has its fierce proponents in the industry.

True, but there is one standout difference between the two formats already: storage capacity. Blu-Ray discs can hold nearly twice as much digital material as HD-DVD can. That can have an immediate effect on presenting, say, audio tracks in 7.1 uncompressed quality without downgrading the video image, simply because there's more room on the same size disc to contain both simultaneously. It can also have great effect on what and how you watch movies on hi-def discs as they program more bonus content IN high definition to begin with. That aspect really hasn't made an impact yet since either format is too new for studios to produce all-hi-def bonus featurettes, etc.

ReggieSnake

Good point. I think that if B-ray doesn't win in a year they'll start consolidating players. (to play both) Kind of like the two standard dvd formats (+ and - was it?) I do think the storage difference will be a deciding factor.

DoomsdayFAN

Hah yeah, they should make a DVD player which has Three compartments for discs: Left: DVD; Center: Blu-Ray; Right: HD DVD. That way we'd all win.

Anyway, there still gunna release Indy 4 on reg DVD, right!? :eek:

WhipItGood

8-tracks, cassettes, 45s, LPs, VHS, Beta.... all technology media become obsolete eventually. My point was, DVDs won't be "going the way of the Dodo" anytime soon, just someday.

metalinvader

WhipItGood said:
8-tracks, cassettes, 45s, LPs, VHS, Beta.... all technology media become obsolete eventually. My point was, DVDs won't be "going the way of the Dodo" anytime soon, just someday.

Well,To be fair LPs and 45s are still made today and have a huge following.The DVD still has another 10 years or so of life left in it.Plus with the cash cow Lucasfilm is I can't imagine them NOT releasing this on dvd.Revenge of the sith was still released on VHS in some European countries.That was '05 and VHS was dying a slow and natural death by then.

So fans of the DVD(like me) don't worry.You will have your KOTCS DVD.;)

bergstrom

I just want a 2 disc dvd, with the film on disc one and maybe a commentary by George since Spielberg doesn't do them and second disc with a sh1tload of documantaries, to make up for the lack of behind the scenes footage we haven't seen.

Berg