Malta

Stoo

Going to Malta soon! With such a rich history, I've a good idea of things I want to see/do. Anyone of you been there and have some hotel recommendations, etc.? Will be staying in Valletta or St. Julian's and have only 2 full days to explore...

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Anyone of you been there and have some hotel recommendations, etc.? Will be staying in Valletta or St. Julian's and have only 2 full days to explore...

Where else would you be staying? ;)

You'll want to visit the Blue Grotto. Hire a boat if you can. The neighboring town of Żurrieq is one of my favorites on the island. You'll also want to visit the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum necropolis, too. Drop in over at the Heritage Malta site for a more comprehensive listing.

Since you like to torture your girlfriend with winding mountain roads, you could treat her to a stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. It's a nice hotel, but if you're more inclined to budget accommodations, I stayed at the Hacienda Guesthouse & The Seven Apartments several years ago.

One final note, the water's still cool in May. From what I hear, most locals don't swim until June. You should visit Gorzo if you have the time.

indy34

I remember I had a math teacher from Malta nice enough lady but I think she was senile, didn't learn a thing.:p
But I've heard Malta is a great place to visit, good luck(y)

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Where else would you be staying? ;)
Mellieha?
Le Saboteur said:
You'll want to visit the Blue Grotto. Hire a boat if you can. The neighboring town of Żurrieq is one of my favorites on the island. You'll also want to visit the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum necropolis, too. Drop in over at the Heritage Malta site for a more comprehensive listing.
Hal Saflieni is definitely on the agenda and it's proximity to Valetta is a bonus. Thanks for the link! Nearby there is the Tarxien Temples which "Fate of Atlantis" bears a similarity to.

tarxien_temples.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
Since you like to torture your girlfriend with winding mountain roads, you could treat her to a stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. It's a nice hotel, but if you're more inclined to budget accommodations, I stayed at the Hacienda Guesthouse & The Seven Apartments several years ago.
Ha!:DThanks for the suggestions, Sab but we're going full out and booked at the 5 star Hotel Phoenicia which is smack in the middle of the penninsula in the bay (right next to the main bus terminal). Our hotel is not too far from Fort St. Elmo and I'm definitely going to visit the war museum there. I also want to see the Largest Cannon In The World at Fort Rinella. 100 tonnes!

1.FullSize.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
One final note, the water's still cool in May. From what I hear, most locals don't swim until June. You should visit Gorzo if you have the time.
Yes, apparently the water is cold but we have a heated pool at the hotel. I want to visit Gorzo and the Blue Grotto but don't know if it'll be feasible. My girlfriend is getting weary of "Indiana Jonesing" :( and would rather relax, shop, etc.:( We only have 2 full days and I want a rent a car to drive around but I think it's right-hand driving there?

Two years ago, we drove from Messina across the barren (but beautiful) countryside of Sicily to the south coast to visit The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. AWESOME! There are ancient connections between Agrigento and Malta.

Stoo

Just found out that the cannon above is fired only once a year. Guess which day? May 5th - TODAY! Going to miss it by 1 week. Damnation!:mad::gun:

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Just found out that the cannon above is fired only once a year. Guess which day? May 5th - TODAY! Going to miss it by 1 week. Damnation!:mad::gun:

Funny how 1 week can turn into a month late! So how was it?! Pictures please, Stoo!

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Funny how 1 week can turn into a month late! So how was it?! Pictures please, Stoo!
Well, as you're aware, the trip was postponed for reasons which weren't so funny.:( Overall, the trip was O.K. We didn't have the time to do very much but it was still enjoyable. Will post some photos but the majority were taken for the Can we get Indy around the globe? thread.:eek:

This style of windows is all over Valetta:

Malta_Balconies.jpg

Close to the place where Oliver Reed died during the filming of "Gladiator"!

Malta_Alley_2.jpg

To Matlese enemies, "We can see you. We can hear you."

Malta_Turret.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
You'll want to visit the Blue Grotto. Hire a boat if you can. The neighboring town of Żurrieq is one of my favorites on the island. You'll also want to visit the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum necropolis, too.
We did get to the Blue Grotto but the weather was a little too rough (My estimate = Sea State 2 or 3) and no boats were operating that day.(n) I wanted to go see the Hypogeum and the Tarxian Temples but there wasn't enough time! Damn.:( Here's me nearby the Blue Grotto:

Malta_BlueGrottoStoo.jpg

The trip wasn't a complete bust though, because we ate at some great restaurants and I was able to see the cannon at Fort Rinella! Having a connection with the curator/manager of the fort, I was granted a chance to meet him. He signed his book for me and we exchanged e-mails (which was an unexpected bonus). After that, I ended up WALKING all the way back to the hotel which took over 3 hours. While my girlfriend was doing the spa-treatment-thing back at the hotel, I had myself a bit of a mini-adventure...;)
Le Saboteur said:
Since you like to torture your girlfriend with winding mountain roads, you could treat her to a stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.
That's where we ended up staying! We cancelled our reservation at the Phoenician and, yes, she liked the Excelsior. There was even an Olympic committee staying there at the same time. (The Phoenician was close by and looked very fine but our hotel had a much better waterfront view!) Aah...MALTA!(y)