TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #176
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Two disclaimers: (1) saw it last night at the end of a draining day on the road at a soccer tournament, and (2) I'm not the best judge for this film since I'm partial to the original cinematic release version of the first Bladerunner and prefer my Deckard human. That said, on an emotional level, I liked 2049s visceral/emotional impact (which I attribute to Pale's reference to 'cinematic art') but I still came away disappointed.

Gosling's 'K' was solid, and I found his quest for meaning with Joi engaging and worth watching in of itself.

The main plot, however, not-so-much. There was nothing in 2049 to match the economy and resulting suspense in the first Bladerunner that superbly brought in to focus Roy Batty's existential dilemma over his mortality. Instead (and my recall may be off here) at one point in 2049, we get Robin Wright's character, after lecturing K on the possible earth shattering consequences of his case, wrapping up her talk by telling K to get back to her in a few days. There's an intentional slackness to the plot (I'm thinking of Luv getting her nails done in one scene) that I haven't totally figured out yet.

Speaking of Robin Wright, as I've said before I'm a big fan, and I will say her role (not performance) was the one unequivocal disappointment in the film. (As an aside, the New York Post has an interesting article about how 2049 was not that great for its female characters, which I pretty much agree with).

Ford was solid -- which is sad because we're seeing him squandered in recent roles. My beef with the Deckard character in 2049 is the now recurring device in these sequels of 70's/'80's films of the old man hermit. [Half-jokingly] Look at old guys like Gerry Brown, Noam Chomsky, Yvon Chouinard and Bernie Sanders -- these leaders don't run away and hide and drink whiskey,
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #177
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Look at old guys like Gerry Brown, Noam Chomsky, Yvon Chouinard and Bernie Sanders -- these leaders don't run away and hide and drink whiskey,

What about PBR?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #178
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
I prefer my Deckard human.
So do I, but they were smart enough not to provide a "conclusive" answer in this sequel.

Villeneuve himself said so in interviews even before the movie opened, and the story stands whether you choose to consider him human, or replicant.

Interestingly enough, the same could be argued about K's fate.
I came out of the theater sure that I knew what happened to him, due to the cue they selected for the final scene.
Vangelis' "Tears in rain", which implies he dies like Batty.

And it would tie in with the replicant leader's speech, which seemed to provide a neat answer to K's quest.
"There is nothing more human that dying for what you believe in"

But I heard younger members of the audience (who presumably were not as familiar with the original as I am) argue differently, and my cynical side suspects they might be proven right, eventually.
Apparently, further sequels are not inconceivable.

Quote:
There's an intentional slackness to the plot (I'm thinking of Luv getting her nails done in one scene) that I haven't totally figured out yet.
Watch it again, it's intentional.
Luv is full of contradictions: she sheds tears after committing unspeakable acts, while her face betrays no emotions whatsoever.
So, why not have her nails done while remotely performing her mission?

BTW, I loved Hoek's performance: she's terrifying, mysterious and sad at the same time.
Those Dutch sure make good replicants!
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #179
Z dweller
IndyFan

Curious as to what caused "the blackout"?

It's all explained in this short animated story, introduced by Villeneuve himself and directed by anime filmmaker Shinichiro Watanabe.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #180
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
What about PBR?

Hilarious. I actually thought of Mr. Eastwood but decided to keep it liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
So do I, but they were smart enough not to provide a "conclusive" answer in this sequel.

[In my best Walter Sobchak]I did not know that.

Quote:
Villeneuve himself said so in interviews even before the movie opened, and the story stands whether you choose to consider him human, or replicant.

See prior response. Honestly, knowing that now, I feel better. I wish I had known that going in because I would have enjoyed Ford's screen time more. I also missed the cues -- but I did pick up the symmetry with Batty.

Quote:
BTW, I loved Hoek's performance: she's terrifying, mysterious and sad at the same time.
Those Dutch sure make good replicants!

Agreed. Just don't get in a submarine with one of them.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #181
Moedred
Administrator

Maybe another press junket? I'd be surprised if they skipped Tokyo.

Release dates:
USA - 6 October 2017
South Korea - 12 October 2017
China - 27 October 2017
Japan - 27 October 2017
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #182
Z dweller
IndyFan

SPOILER WARNING.

A closer look at the technlogy behind that cameo.

For me it was actually the weakest moment in the movie visually, screaming "CGI !!!" from a mile away and not quite pulling it off.

Admittedly, I have watched the original so many times that I know every frame by heart, so it was always going to be a tough sell.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #183
Hanselation
IndyFan

Box Office

So now the gross is higher than the budget (150,000,000 $) -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/...ref_=tt_dt_bus

For such an heavy stuff regarding watching it, I'm impressed that the box office covers the production costs within only two weeks.

It is not easy entertainment but visually and philosophical very demanding and interesting. Very different to the standard blockbuster movies.
In a positive way I'm wondering that so many people are interested in this kind of stuff.

Fo me this movie is a great kind of art.

Great because it's different!
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #184
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'm glad it at least seems to be recouping its initial losses. I know that the box office ultimately doesn't determine whether a film is good or bad but it's always nice to see a smart film like this do well, especially given the obvious love and care that was poured into it.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #185
Z dweller
IndyFan

For box office updates, this website is pretty cool and you can drill down to a regional breakdown.

There are all kinds of figures being circulated on internet for the actual BR2 budget including marketing. The highest I've seen is $300 mio, which seems way too high to me.

The movie opens in China next week, let's hope it does well there.
I really wouldn't want them to lose money on such a lovingly crafted project.