Damocles' sword

Mickiana

For the opening of Indy5, we find Indy looking for the famed Sword of Damocles. It has no mystical powers, but he finds it still hanging by a single horse's hair. Removing it from its pendulous state, though, triggers a very life threatening series of events from which he must use his wits and skills to escape in order to adventure on for another day.

Any takers, criticisms, additions?

HJTHX1138

Mickiana said:
For the opening of Indy5, we find Indy looking for the famed Sword of Damocles. It has no mystical powers, but he finds it still hanging by a single horse's hair. Removing it from its pendulous state, though, triggers a very life threatening series of events from which he must use his wits and skills to escape in order to adventure on for another day.

Any takers, criticisms, additions?

Might be a cool way to open an adventure (notice I didn't say Indy 5, but I digress), but I don't think it could carry a whole feature if it isn't supernatural.

Who else would want it? Who would be the antagonist?

With the exception of Raiders, Indy's life entire cinematic life has been perched under the sword.

I like identifying, referencing it and even threading the theme through a new adventure...IS there an actual relic though?

It would be interesting for Indy to WANT to go after something again.

Mickiana

I don't know if there is an actual relic. I don't think there is really. I don't think many people would be familiar with its notion even as fable, legend or myth, but then again who had heard about the Chachapoyan fertility idol or its like? I think it could work even though many may not know about it.

Like you say RS, referencing it and using its theme I think could work well as an analogy or parallel to Indy's life or at least plenty of his activities.

I hadn't thought about an antagonist but there would have to be one of course. Whether another rival archaeologist, secret organisation or government agency the possibilities are wide open. It would be set in Syracuse, Italy in keeping with the myth.

But we do need an Indy who is in charge of what he is doing. We need that ambitious glint in his eyes again, because there should be plenty of walk left in his Aldens even at 70yo.;)

ps the nuclear age was referred to as the worlds' Damocles sword by Kennedy, so it might be quite apt as a theme.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
With the exception of Raiders, Indy's life entire cinematic life has been perched under the sword.

I like identifying, referencing it and even threading the theme through a new adventure...IS there an actual relic though?

It would be interesting for Indy to WANT to go after something again.

I like this.

Mickiana said:
ps the nuclear age was referred to as the worlds' Damocles sword by Kennedy, so it might be quite apt as a theme.

And this.

Mickiana

Thanks Montana. After reading the synopsis, though, I would rather Lucas tackle it, or at least one of his hirelings, and place it in the Indyverse. Give me the archaeologist over a race car driver any day, not to take away from the writer's efforts of course.

I was thinking the object needn't be called Damocles Sword, but with at least some tangential references it could inspire something akin to the fable.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Thanks Montana. After reading the synopsis, though, I would rather Lucas tackle it, or at least one of his hirelings, and place it in the Indyverse. Give me the archaeologist over a race car driver any day, not to take away from the writer's efforts of course.

I was thinking the object needn't be called Damocles Sword, but with at least some tangential references it could inspire something akin to the fable.

Storywise, it would seem that taking the Sword acts as a trigger that sets something else in motion. So that once you accept the challenge there's no going back, and the danger is ramped up.

If it has no mystical powers, then the danger is in a human rival. Bridging the gap between the taking and the new threat may be difficult, and one reason why the artifact has so far always had a mystical aspect: they have the power in themselves to not only motivate characters, but also have a physical impact on the world around them.

The Ark kills. The Sankara Stones reacted to invocation. The Grail gave life (the false one killed). The Skull controlled minds.

Mickiana

Agreed Montana, but I had Damocles sword in mind as the opening scenes, the little adventure before the story progresses into the main arena. Just as the fertility idol was protected by dangers and its removal set off booby traps, the sword would do something similar. I can see Indy trying to hang a weight off the perch the horse hair is tied to in a bid to replace the weight of the sword simultaneously a la the fertility idol pedestal. It's a rip off, but what the hell, it might be fun. An adversary in there somewhere will only add to the story.

Mickiana said:
Agreed Montana, but I had Damocles sword in mind as the opening scenes, the little adventure before the story progresses into the main arena.

They sort of did Pandora's box dropping the A-bomb...but to show the fallout: spys, nuclear secrets, I'd be on board for that.

It might be kind of cool to see Indy get some uncharacteristic respect from the military only to realize he's being contained and must escape.

HJTHX1138

Mickiana said:
Agreed Montana, but I had Damocles sword in mind as the opening scenes, the little adventure before the story progresses into the main arena. Just as the fertility idol was protected by dangers and its removal set off booby traps, the sword would do something similar. I can see Indy trying to hang a weight off the perch the horse hair is tied to in a bid to replace the weight of the sword simultaneously a la the fertility idol pedestal. It's a rip off, but what the hell, it might be fun. An adversary in there somewhere will only add to the story.

This might sound really stupid, but as long as we are taking ideas, I'd love to see a room where the "trap" is falling swords.

Imagine a room where the floor has multiple kinds of tiles, and as Indy walks through it the swords start to fall down, thus creating a deadly self constructing maze.

Or maybe a another room with many similar swords all tied to the celing . . . I dunno :p

Mickiana

Good ideas fellas. Rocket, the idea of Indy having to escape or evade the military could have worked in CS. It's strange that after having expressed how suspicious his activities might be, the Bureau then just drop out, except for ransacking Indy's office which we didn't see. If General Ross was also suspicious, then Indy may have felt more personal impetus to take on the Russians in a race to Akator to prove himself. Marion and Mutt could have been minused from this alternative plot and perhaps the roles of Mac and Ox could have been enlarged.

HJTHX1138, a ceiling full of swords sounds like a good idea. He might have to choose which one correctly in order to avoid setting off a booby trap, or maybe the choice won't matter and a booby trap is inevitably set off, which includes the various swords falling. Could be real hair trigger stuff...

Montana Smith

They could have shared Marilyn.

Hey, he might even change history and save her from death by a Kennedy. ;)

There's a Sword of Damocles scenario in that.

Mickiana

Was Indy at the grassy knoll? What did he know or see? There's Damoclean swords falling all over the place. Indy may get sliced to ribbons yet. Montana, your clever ideas have me parodying my own suggestions!