What do the numbers say to you?

Zorg

Crusade>Raiders said:
SATC is probably the biggest surprise of the summer.

It's hardly a surprise. Like, almost every woman I know (except from my mom and grandma maybe) loved the TV show.

But, if SATC beats KotCS at the box office this weekend, that's a surprise somewhat.

Let's not worry if that happens. Indy kicked Prince Caspian from the # 1 spot after only one weekend. It just shows how tight the competition really is.

Salacious

My wife and all her friends love SATC. They all own the dvds are dragging the guys out to watch it tonight.....

From what I know, girls really really like the show. Its like their Seinfeld or something.

jasperjones

I wouldn't be too surprised if it beats INdy this weekend. SATC is massively popular. It's an event movie for women - at least it is in London.

God'sRadio

They tell that a lot of people will go to see it as an event movie and a few a second time to work out why it wasn't as good as they thought.

HellofaSandwich

sandiegojones said:
That's just for Friday. From what I saw this film sold out huge online in NY, LA and SF (go figure). When the rest of the country takes their families to see Indy today and tomorrow because they were out of town last weekend we'll see the numbers go up.

I've been following box office grosses for a while now, and while I do not profess to be anything resembling an expert, I find that I'm hard-pressed to think of an example of a film that had a stellar opening day then dropped off dramatically on Saturday and Sunday to the extent that the #2 film (on Friday) would be able to overtake it.

Nope, Sex and the City is gonna win this weekend big.

James

HellofaSandwich said:
I find that I'm hard-pressed to think of an example of a film that had a stellar opening day then dropped off dramatically on Saturday and Sunday to the extent that the #2 film (on Friday) would be able to overtake it.

SATC very nearly provided us with an example. It's quite rare to see a film open with such a big Friday gross, then end up losing both Saturday and Sunday to a holdover from the previous week.

The Friday numbers made it seem like SATS was heading for an easy $70 million debut, while Indy appeared doomed to something in the $30 million range. As it turned out, the difference between the two would be less than $10 million.

Indy's box office reveals that it's enjoying a nice hold, and catering to a wide audience of families and older moviegoers.

sandiegojones

HellofaSandwich said:
I've been following box office grosses for a while now, and while I do not profess to be anything resembling an expert, I find that I'm hard-pressed to think of an example of a film that had a stellar opening day then dropped off dramatically on Saturday and Sunday to the extent that the #2 film (on Friday) would be able to overtake it.

Nope, Sex and the City is gonna win this weekend big.
Being a former Hollywood employee and now with a bank in finance I think I do know how things work. There's this thing called "demographics". It's how they determine a target audience for things. Women and gay men will go out on a Friday night, have drinks, see SATC, talk BS about straight men and go dancing and other sh!t.

Families will go see Indy 4 Sat & Sun because kids (non-teens) don't see films late on Fridays and parents are tired after a work week and cannot go out and have fun. The numbers proved what I assumed even if Indy didn't take the #1 spot:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

These are also estimates. It could be a million or two closer. SATC won, but I wouldn't consider it big. There's a 9 million margin and that is because of the aforementioned Friday audience. Indy will have legs, lets see where SATC ends up.

HellofaSandwich

Yup, you wuz right! I was surprised that the jump and fall was as big as it was (after all, Saturday night seems like a prime time to watch "Sex and the City" for those who enjoy that sort of thing), but I'll gladly eat a helping of crow here.

(And yeah, I saw "Crystal Skull" for the third time last night, and the crowd was very diverse -- families, older folks, cowboys (!), and young couples.)

Crack that whip

MolaRam2 said:
I really find it hard to believe that SATC has that much of a fanbase. It is a 2 1/2 hour R-rated comedy that only plays to women and gay men.

"Only" to women, and gay men? Well, that is a shocker - I mean there can't be more than, what - fourteen or fifteen women in the country, right?
:confused:

Crusade>Raiders

I'll say one thing...Iron Man is a beast. I can't describe how good the movie is doing. $14,000,000 on its fifth weekend is crazy. It could STILL Make 10 million next weekend! It might challenge Transformers for its place in the domestic box-office. Hell, Marvel could let it sit in the box office for a few months so it can squeak past Spiderman 3 domestic.

sandiegojones

HellofaSandwich said:
(And yeah, I saw "Crystal Skull" for the third time last night, and the crowd was very diverse -- families, older folks, cowboys (!), and young couples.)
Cowboys in Canada? Was Brokeback Mountain a hit there? :D

Peacock's-Eye

It's really bizarre to me how Indy fans are rooting against this movie!
What the f**k is going on?
Did I miss something???
It's an IJ movie! And it's really really good! And people are going in droves to see it, and loving it! We should be enjoying this!

And anyway, Indy's kicking SATC's ass overall.

James

MaxPhactor23 said:
Indy's had a big drop.

Actually, the drop was nothing compared to Memorial Day films of the past few years. Pirates fell a steep 62% last year, while X-Men took a nosedive of nearly 70% in 2006.

Box Office Guru had predicted a respectable drop of 55%, and Indy came in just under that with 54%.

In its second weekend, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull fell by a moderate 54% from its potent opening frame and grossed an estimated $46M. The Paramount release averaged $10,788 from 4,264 locations and upped its cume to an amazing $216.9M after 11 days.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Shortie

I say Indy will be # 2 both domestic & world wide, behind old shell head.

Iron Man was an unexpected beast. Not even me, who was very anticipated for it, thought it was going to be this freakin' huge. I sort of wish it wasn't because I want it on DVD soon. :mad:

MaxPhactor23

James said:
Actually, the drop was nothing compared to Memorial Day films of the past few years. Pirates fell a steep 62% last year, while X-Men took a nosedive of nearly 70% in 2006.

It had a big drop nonetheless. Bad word of mouth has been by spread by those who thought it was bad. All that's holding it up at this point are the lifeless fan boys who see it twenty times just to attempt to make it number one at the box office, as if this sort of thing actually matters whatsoever.

HellofaSandwich

Heh, and your evidence of this wave of fanboys propping up Indy's box office haul is what, exactly? A few posts on message boards by fans talking about seeing it several times?

The "fanboy effect" is probably greatly overstated. Just look at the most recent (piece of crap) Star Trek film -- if you went on Star Trek message boards during its release, you saw a LOT of fans talking about going to see the movie repeatedly just to boost its box office numbers. What happened? The movie tanked, anyway.

"Fanboys" seeing the film repeatedly only seem to have a marginal effect.

Mike00spy

MaxPhactor23 said:
It had a big drop nonetheless. Bad word of mouth has been by spread by those who thought it was bad. All that's holding it up at this point are the lifeless fan boys who see it twenty times just to attempt to make it number one at the box office, as if this sort of thing actually matters whatsoever.

Apparantly it matters to you, for you are finding any excuse possible to denegrate its impressive box office take so far.

Oh, and what kind of warped/insane/moronic thinking is it that people are ONLY seeing it again to make sure its number one at the box office. How about the fact that they LIKE THE MOVIE!

MaxPhactor23

Mike00spy said:
Apparantly it matters to you, for you are finding any excuse possible to denegrate its impressive box office take so far.

Oh, and what kind of warped/insane/moronic thinking is it that people are ONLY seeing it again to make sure its number one at the box office. How about the fact that they LIKE THE MOVIE!

I don't care whatsoever. It's not a competition for us. We're the audience, not the studio. Caring about how much a film grosses and making it’s intake compete with other summer films is utterly pointless. If it’s defeated by Dark Knight, does that take something away? Not at all! As long as you enjoyed it then that’s all that ultimately matters. Too many people care about what’s hip and now. If a film utterly flops but I just so happened to enjoy it, I’m not afraid to say so. Too many people care about what others think. Too many people are afraid to be themselves.

If you want to troll and call names then so be it. I’m not coming out against Indy 4, I’m speaking the truth and have a few news articles to prove it. If you want to deny it…so be it. It only proves you take this sort of thing all too seriously. And I'd deem seeing a film again and again as having nothing better to do, hence having no life, whether they like it or not.

Way of the dodo

The bad word of mouth on Indy isn't that bad out in the real world (the weird computery guys at work don't count) . If you use the internet as a barometer of reality, Serenity is the biggest blockbuster in history.