TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
Deckard
IndyFan

Just a tip, you should not run your hat under the sink, use a water bottle and spray from a distance. Do not drench your hat, moisten it.

Seriously think of it like clay, don't overwet it. Only use enough water to get it to work with you and I swear it will hold just as well. Just be patient.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
Perhilion
IndyFan

Thanks for this, I'm trying it now. Mine isn't a crushable, so I hope it works ok.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Hi! Maybe I'm quite late but please tell me: have you tried the tutorial?
Thanks
Doctor Jones'89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
sgttom
IndyFan

I know this thread is old but I didn't want to post a whole new thread for my question. So here goes, I won a bid for an Indiana Jones licensed fedora off eBay for $20. The tags say its made by Dorfman Pacific. It also says its Crushable and Water proof. I really don't like the shape and want to reshape it. Does anyone know if it'll work without ruining the hat? I know I didn't spend much money on it but I don't want to ruin it. Thanks!

~sgttom
sgttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #30
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

I used this tutorial on my Dorfman Pacific wool crushable and it worked out great. You should be fine.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #31
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Hi there sgttom!
The only thing I suggest you is to be very patient. I explained all below, but if you need some more tips I'll try to help you.

PS: Very Important -> follow Deckard's suggestion and use a spray, it's much easier!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
sgttom
IndyFan

Thanks for the answers guys. I reshaped the hat today. I sprayed it like you said. I was surprised, It was pretty easy, a lot easier then other hats I've tried reshaping. Thanks for the tips guys, and thanks Doctor Jones'89 for making the tutorial. My hat looks 50 times better now and has my personal feel to it
sgttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #33
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

You're welcome! Very glad to know that this tutorial helped you
This thread, even if it's old, is still going and that's very gratifying to me.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #34
Rocket Surgeon

Nice thread! I've been working onmy hat for some time now and have yet to work out my two biggest problems.

1: The crease in the topof the hat, from front to back.

If you look at ALL the hats made for the public the very top side of the crown has a tear shaped indent, Indy's hats have a single LINED creased through the middle from the front to the back.

Thanks for your posts, I'm no longer scared of getting the hat wet, but one hint: you can control the distribution and saturation of the water with a spray bottle. Wash out an old windex bottle or buy one cheap at the store.

2: The "Stovepipe Shape"

My hats crown tapers inward as it reaches the top, I tried adjusting the band, pinching it on either side, (on the inside) just over the ears and it looks amazing! (Holding the hat in front of you and pushing the points over where your ears are will demonstrate how it should be...like a stove pipe, not tapered!) Unfortunately my head isn't that narrow so I'm working on widening the top....

It's difficult working two aspects of the crown at once, but I'll post pics if I haven't destroyed my hat...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Hi there

Quote:
If you look at ALL the hats made for the public the very top side of the crown has a tear shaped indent, Indy's hats have a single LINED creased through the middle from the front to the back.

It's absolutely true, all the Indy hats have a crease from the front to the back of the hat's crown, but in this tutorial it wasn't supposed to explain how to do that. If you want to do recreate this effect on your hat you'll have to reshape it ENTERELY.
I mean, you have to "pull out" all the inner side to make it look like this:

Image courtesy of Hatsdirect.com

Than you'll have to begin again the reshaping and press the two opposite side of the crown to create the indent.
This tutorial is very clear and well done so I'd suggest to anyone is interested to take a look here: http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/shaping.html.

Remember the key the success consist in patience and persistence! But don't destroy your hat

And please post some pics when you'll have done!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #36
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
I used this tutorial on my Dorfman Pacific wool crushable and it worked out great. You should be fine.

Did you do this tutorial on it Doc? How does the crushable hold it's shape?
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Did you do this tutorial on it Doc? How does the crushable hold it's shape?

Yeah, I did the tutorial from the 1st page. It looks as good as it did the 1st day I did it.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #38
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, I did the tutorial from the 1st page. It looks as good as it did the 1st day I did it.

Awesome I will do that than. It worked on my felt fedora but I wasnt sure about the wool one.

How do you turn down the eyeshade though?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #39
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991

How do you turn down the eyeshade though?

I did mine the ghetto way. I wet the brim a little bit and I closed a drawer on it with the fedora resting on top of the counter so the brim was bent on a 90 degree angle. It worked for the most part.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #40
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
I did mine the ghetto way. I wet the brim a little bit and I closed a drawer on it with the fedora resting on top of the counter so the brim was bent on a 90 degree angle. It worked for the most part.

Awesome Doc I'm doing the same thing!

My hat turned out great except it left the indentations of the clothspin
Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #41
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Quote:
My hat turned out great except it left the indentations of the clothspin

I'll just quote Bvance tips:

Quote:
If the clothes pins make marks...

Last night I reshaped my crushable wool Indy fedora, letting it dry over night for about 8 hours. When I took the clothes pins off, I noticed the plastic I used wasn't thick enough and the clothes pins left fairly large and noticeable indentions on my hat. It looked pretty bad, but don't worry...I fixed it and I'll explain what I did in-case someone has a similar problem.

First I got a spray bottle and put it on very thin spray so I could target the exact spot of the indents.

Second I got a new toothbrush that I had never used and it had fairly soft bristles.

Next, I sprayed the indents and holding my fingers firmly in the underside of the hats where the indents were, I rubbed the toothbrush over the wet area in a circular motion.

Almost immediately the indentations began to disappear. I let it dray for a few hours and then repeated the process.

Now I am happy to say that the indents are gone and the hat amazingly enough has retained its altered shape.

One other thing, when first reshaping my hat, I sprayed water on the front brim and put a clothes pin hanging off of it to give it that lower brimmed Raiders look and it turned out wonderfully!

Hope these tips are helpful. Of course I'm not sure how this would work on a non-crushable hat, but good luck and thanks for the tutorial my hat NOW looks awesome!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #42
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones'89
I'll just quote Bvance tips:

HAHAHHA It worked!!! Thank you so much!

My last question is on your heighting the crown turorial first off does that work on a crushable and second it mentions a block where do you get that?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #43
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Sorry the late answer, I've been out these last days, but now I'm back!

Quote:
HAHAHHA It worked!!! Thank you so much!

You're welcome!

Nį. 1:

Quote:
My last question is on your heighting the crown turorial first off does that work on a crushable

I think you should find no problem though I've tried this tutorial only on my fur felt fedora. I think that the Crushable should be quite more difficoult to reshape but don't give up at the first try because the better result will come just at the end of a long way. But now I'm getting "philosophical" so I'd better stop talking!

Nį. 2:

Quote:
and second it mentions a block where do you get that?

Which block? Could you please explain me that in clearer way? You know since I've been away from the Raven for a long while my English is quite rusty!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #44
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

I reshaped it and it looks great!

The only issue is the eyeshade will not stay bent down but thats ok it's the material it's made of. Let me know what you think.

I love the crown and front pinch but the eyeshade bugs me it will not stay bent!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #45
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Indy

Nice job you've done!

About the eyeshade, try to wet it with a spray and then bend it softly until the shape will look better.

PS: is there a Rocky poster behind the hat?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #46
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Thank you very much!

Yes I soaked the eyeshade and keep bending it down. It's not perfect but it looks a little better each time.

And yes that is a Rocky poster hahahahah
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #47
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Always glad to help!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:55 AM   #48
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Exclamation

Hi everyone!

Gosh, it has been a (LONG) while since the last time I logged in, and I'm surprised and flattered to see that so many people have read this tutorial. I see, however, that it really needs updating, since the pictures are now gone.

So stay tuned for an updated version of this tutorial, hopefully coming very soon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugn5bex90g..._2778.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f60htlx3me..._2779.JPG?dl=0
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #49
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Exclamation Updated tutorial with pictures!

Iím very pleased to post below my updated tutorial to reshape your Fedora. It has been almost ten years since the time I first posted this guide, and since my first attempt to reshape my Dorfman Pacific hat (http://www.dorfman-pacific.com/brand...%20Jones%C2%AE) and it still looks absolutely smashing. The reason why I wrote this tutorial originally is that I was SO VERY disappointed when I unwrapped the envelope and realised that the Dorfman Pacific hat, despite the nice Indiana Jones pin on the ribbon, didnít look nearly as nice as Indyís hat.

Honestly, I can say in hindsight that the final result does not resemble exactly Indyís hat from Raiders of the Lost Ark, but rather his glorious hat from Last Crusade or perhaps from Temple of Doom. You be the judge, but I really love my hat as it looks now, it kept its shape perfectly and I'm still wearing it after such a long time. And Iím sure youíre going to love your hat too once you reshape it! Now Iíll cut the chatter and provide you, as promised, with the new tutorial with pictures (these are stored in dropbox so you won't see the image below unfortunately, so you'll have to open the link, but at least they are safely stored there).

Use this tutorial at your own risk! I take no responsibility for any issues you may encounter.

NB: in case the pegs leave some undesired marks/scratches, I WARMLY suggest that you use BVanceís method (check the posts above).

Preliminary info: to modify your hat you need no special skills or experience, you just have to be very careful and follow the instructions step by step since, once you've reshaped it, it is NOT possible to restore its former aspect.

WHAT DO YOU NEED: a Fedora, a pair of clothespins, water (ideally itís best to spray it over your hat rather than doing what I did in the pictures below), a plastic bag or a cloth to protect your hat once you apply the clothespins.

PART 1: Heightening the crown

The first thing you should do is to put your hand inside the hat and push all out, as shown in the picture below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d4wu0yybg..._2849.JPG?dl=0

PART 2: Reshaping the hat

Now you should gently squeeze the front side of your hat with your hands in the centre, in order to make it tighter and give it a more Indy-style look. Try to find the centre precisely and be as accurate as you can. Repeat this operation several times until it starts to look tighter.

PART 3: Fixing the new shape

As you may have sadly noticed, despite your efforts the hat doesn't seem to be keep its new form very, but worry not! Itís now time to fix it for good. SoÖ

- Wet the central side of your hat (or rather spray it with water, I didnít think about it when I first try but thatís definitely the best way to proceed). If you spill some water around donít worry: this is not going to affect the final result.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9g7rmansj...ure-2.jpg?dl=0

- Once that side is wet, before you use your pins, cover it with plastic bag to cover or a cloth. This will prevent your hat from being damaged by the pinsí pressure. Place then the clothespins right in the centre and at the top of your hat (as shown in the pictures below).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n86wizfalc...e-3.2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxhe98urpc...ure-3.jpg?dl=0

- What you need to do now is to simply wait until your hat gets dry (let it dry naturally for 6/7 hours; do not place it close to the heating, just give it some time to get dry). If the result does not look perfect yet, repeat the aforementioned operations until you get the perfect Indy shape for your Fedora!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugn5bex90g..._2778.JPG?dl=0

Thatís it folks! I hope you find this new tutorial useful. Feel free to post your comments and pics of your results below