TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 36 56.25%
Todd's Costumes 11 17.19%
Steele and Jones 4 6.25%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #526
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKDG77
[IMG]http://[/IMG]

That's a great fit on you: I think the shorter sleeves were a good idea.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #527
VKDG77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Great pics VKDG77. The jacket looks excellent. Thanks for posting.

I wish they were better but hey, they'll have to do. The addiction is just getting started
VKDG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #528
VKDG77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem
That's a great fit on you: I think the shorter sleeves were a good idea.

Thank you! I have a similar physique to fords in TOD so I really hoping that it would fit just like his did. I did get the sleeves just a tad shorter, I've always like them right on my wrists. Steele & Jones will probably be my next jacket in the Cazadora 36 . I've talked to some others and dabbled in the possibility of a Kelso. We'll see!
VKDG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #529
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
That's looking great! Love the shape on the back. Are you happy with it?

Yeah really pleased with it.
You must post some pics when you get your novapelle, look forward to seeing it.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #530
micsteam
IndyFan

Bill Kelso makes, I think, the best Indiana Jones jacket out there but they are the most expensive. Depending on which leather, options, and model jacket you could easily spend $600 up to $1000 on a jacket.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #531
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Yeah really pleased with it.
You must post some pics when you get your novapelle, look forward to seeing it.

Me too! I'm slightly worried that the sleeves may be too long (I definitely want them a bit long: on my hands or so, but hopefully it's not beyond my fingers!) so I'm cautiously optimistic!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #532
Major West
IndyFan

That dark novapelle looks great. I recently saw a Last Crusade Hero jacket in Dark Novapelle and it looked amazing. My next Wested jacket might be in that skin. Probably the LC Hero.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #533
Drones33
IndyFan

Custom LC in Dark Novapelle

Here`s a shot of my LC in dark novapelle after about a years pretty consistent wear and a recent coat of Pecards

Old 04-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #534
Drones33
IndyFan

Steele and Jones Cazadora `36

Delighted with this. Took about 3 months from placing the order to receiving the jacket, but great communication with Diego at S&J throughout, worth the wait.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #535
Major West
IndyFan

Cazadora is a thing of beauty. The LC Novapelle looks great there. Would you say it's unwearable in milder weather? I was thinking of ordering something in it but hear we are at the start of spring.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #536
Drones33
IndyFan

Nah, I think itís fine for milder weather with just a shirt. Bit too heavy for the warm summer months but perfect for chilly spring days.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #537
TheFedora
IndyFan

So if I just wanted a jacket for a convention, would you guys recommend Wested, Todd's or Magnoli's? Im definitely aware that to get quality i'll have to spend a reasonable amount, but not looking to bust the bank.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #538
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
So if I just wanted a jacket for a convention, would you guys recommend Wested, Todd's or Magnoli's?

Any of those would be a good choice. Go with your budget.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #539
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

For me it's only Wested, everything else comes second.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #540
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
So if I just wanted a jacket for a convention, would you guys recommend Wested, Todd's or Magnoli's? Im definitely aware that to get quality i'll have to spend a reasonable amount, but not looking to bust the bank.
I’d go for Wested if I were you. Better quality and fit than Todd’s, (apparently), half the cost of Magnoli’s made to measure jackets and more screen accurate than their White Label offering (by the looks of it on the magnoli website). Wested has a great choice of leathers available, plus the option to have one custom made without breaking the bank. It’s also always worth checking out the Clearance section of Westeds site. I’ve picked up a couple of bargains on there over the years for less than £150
Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #541
Major West
IndyFan

Yeah I would probably recommend to anybody wanting a first jacket an OTR Wested. I've seen some really excellent cosplays with OTR Wested jackets. A bit of distressing goes a long way, and the OTR jackets are really good jackets as well, made to be wearable everyday jackets.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #542
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
I’d go for Wested if I were you. Better quality and fit than Todd’s, (apparently), half the cost of Magnoli’s made to measure jackets and more screen accurate than their White Label offering (by the looks of it on the magnoli website). Wested has a great choice of leathers available, plus the option to have one custom made without breaking the bank. It’s also always worth checking out the Clearance section of Westeds site. I’ve picked up a couple of bargains on there over the years for less than £150

And I picked up a nearly-new Raiders in lamb from eBay a month or two back for only £95. The fit is perfect and the leather is so supple: it's gorgeous. Just a bit light for the weather at the moment (English spring: ha!)

I did also pick up a Raiders Novapelle in D Brown from the clearance section of Wested's website just after! It was only £175 and was the perfect size, albeit with custom longer sleeves (and I'd rather have longer sleeves than too short). I really like the fit and the more substantial leather, and the sleeves seem fine to me (I tend to think leather jackets should have long sleeves), plus they'll probably ruck up over time anyway. It certainly needs a lot more wear to look less fresh though.
But I did want to ask others who've bought Novapelle: it seems a little fragile where water is concerned? Whenever it gets a splash on it it seems never to dry out: I still have a few dark spots on it when some snowflakes fell on it weeks ago! Does it need treatment in some way? I like the look of them aged up but I don't want to look like it's got drips on it all the time.

Last edited by emtiem : 04-10-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #543
emtiem
IndyFan

I'm hoping it'll age up to look like this one I spotted on eBay (too big for me sadly!); I think this looks perfect and its had five years' of wear:

Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #544
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
I did also pick up a Raiders Novapelle in D Brown from the clearance section of Wested's website just after! It was only £175 and was the perfect size, albeit with custom longer sleeves (and I'd rather have longer sleeves than too short). I really like the fit and the more substantial leather, and the sleeves seem fine to me (I tend to think leather jackets should have long sleeves), plus they'll probably ruck up over time anyway. It certainly needs a lot more wear to look less fresh though.
But I did want to ask others who've bought Novapelle: it seems a little fragile where water is concerned? Whenever it gets a splash on it it seems never to dry out: I still have a few dark spots on it when some snowflakes fell on it weeks ago! Does it need treatment in some way? I like the look of them aged up but I don't want to look like it's got drips on it all the time.
You could give it a coat of Pecards. That would darken it initially but would go a long way towards making it more water resistant.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #545
emtiem
IndyFan

I'm not sure I want it darker to be honest; it'd be a shame to do that so soon. Did yours hold water? Maybe I should drop Wested a line and ask.

Has their website been displaying okay for everyone else recently? It's really tiny on my screen.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #546
emtiem
IndyFan

Incidentally, for anyone like me who's only recently joined this thread and is frustrated by Photobucket spoiling it(!) by removing all of their old links, there's now a fix which you can add as an extension to Chrome. Add this extension right here and the pictures are back!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #547
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm not sure I want it darker to be honest; it'd be a shame to do that so soon. Did yours hold water? Maybe I should drop Wested a line and ask..
I must say I agree. I didn’t give mine the Pecards treatment for about a year, because I really like the dusty look that novapelle aquires over time. Yes, mine did show up where it had been rained on, at least for a while. But that spotting soon disappeared, or at least diminished as the jacket began to pick up little marks and scuffs etc. And that’s one of the biggest appeals of novapelle, for me; the fact that it naturally weathers beautifully, and quite quickly.

I meant to say, your novapelle Raiders is gorgeous. And I think you’re right, the slightly longer sleeves look great.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #548
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Yeah I would probably recommend to anybody wanting a first jacket an OTR Wested. I've seen some really excellent cosplays with OTR Wested jackets. A bit of distressing goes a long way, and the OTR jackets are really good jackets as well, made to be wearable everyday jackets.

Thank you and all the others who recommend Wested! I think after looking at their website I might get their Temple of Doom Jacket, maybe as a birthday present to myself this year.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #549
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
I must say I agree. I didnít give mine the Pecards treatment for about a year, because I really like the dusty look that novapelle aquires over time. Yes, mine did show up where it had been rained on, at least for a while. But that spotting soon disappeared, or at least diminished as the jacket began to pick up little marks and scuffs etc. And thatís one of the biggest appeals of novapelle, for me; the fact that it naturally weathers beautifully, and quite quickly.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured to be honest: I just have to brave and expose it to the elements a little more! I really like that dusty look too and the easy weathering really attracted me to it.
Wested did get back incidentally: they said to give it a soft brush if it gets too wet rather than rubbing any water into the skin. We'll see I guess.

Quote:
I meant to say, your novapelle Raiders is gorgeous. And I think youíre right, the slightly longer sleeves look great.

Thank you; you're very kind. It definitely needs a lot more wear to get that new jacket sheen to go, but I'm very happy with it.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #550
emtiem
IndyFan

I'm curious: has anyone gone for a Wested Skyfall? I rather like the idea of what looks like a slightly more fitted Indy-ish style jacket.
It looks great here in Shrunken Lamb: