What was your experience seeing KOTCS in the theater like?

Kevin

I went to a midnight showing, full of adults and teens, all of whom were clearly Indy fans. I was in costume, as were several others.

There was definitely an atmosphere of excitement, and when the lights went from "semi-dim," as they are during the previews, to "totally dark," there were several cheers and hollers.

The other biggest cheering moments were when Indy's silhouette put the hat on, when Marion was brought out of the tent, and when Indy snatched the hat out of Mutt's hand at the end. There was also a good amount of laughter at the appropriate moments.

I honestly can't remember if the audience clapped at the end, but people were generally happy with the movie, based on the comments I heard. For myself, my reaction then (as now) was "Not as good as the others, but a pretty good movie."

Kevin

Dr Bones said:
I guess there you have it...fanboys and people with whatever expectations were dissapointed but those with an open mind, such as that of a child, simply going to be entertained rather than act as film critics, enjoyed it.

The problem is that we all had expectations going in to KOTCS, simply by virtue of the fact that we had all seen the first three. Thus, we all have our own ideas about what an Indiana Jones film should be. And anyone who goes to a fim will have an opinion on whether they liked it or not, so every viewer is a "film critic" in one sense or another.

That being said, I agree with you that it was easiest for children to enjoy the film, because they have no emotional history with Indiana Jones. They didn't "grow up" with the films the way many of us did, so these preconceived notions of what an Indy film should be are simply not present. When I was a child, I watched ROTLA so many times, the VHS tape wore out. Many kids today have seen the older films once or twice, if at all.

Another reason kids liked this film more than adults is that it is the most "kid-friendly" of all Indy films. On my second viewing of KOTCS, I took my fiancee's two younger brothers (both still in grade school). They absolutely loved the Mutt/Tarzan vine swinging scene. They ate it up because they are young, and that kind of thing is funny to kids. I thought it was one of the lower points of the film, but that's probably because I'm 25, and I grew up on Indy films where Mongolians got shot in the face and people got their hearts ripped out.

loganbush

During the midnight showing everyone clapped, then the guy next to me said I was waiting for Will Smith to come out and punch the alien and say "welcome to earth!"

The showing that I attended on May 22, the audience sort of drifted out, despondently. I got the feeling that they wanted to stay longer in the hope that the real movie would come on before they left the theatre.
Strange. Very strange few moments, indeed. Dreamlike. Had Indy 4 left an audience cold? I think it may well have done.

Nineteen years. Nineteen years.:(

brookystreet

In most theatres throughout West Yorks nobody seems to react at all.

They all seem to shuffle out of the movies like it's a funeral whilst mumbling about what was good/bad LOL

Grizzlor

I went twice. Both times the audience laughed and seemed very happy to have seen it. The ending of the film is very strange, no matter what series it was part of, and probably robbed a lot of the excitement.

Dr.Jonesy

Grizzlor said:
I went twice. Both times the audience laughed and seemed very happy to have seen it. The ending of the film is very strange, no matter what series it was part of, and probably robbed a lot of the excitement.

The only thing I find strange is the marriage. That's the only thing about the ending I don't care for.

Indy should be single!(n)

lol
I'm over it now.

The UFO rules though.

Agent Crab

Lets see if I can remember...

Kids screamed at the ants and someone shivered at it. Some kid started ot crew at the alien scene.

LostArk

The theater was VERY empty that day. I don't know if it was because it was a little after noon or if Indy isn't even popular here, but yeah, it was pretty much empty save for my friends and a couple. Nobody reacted.

Indyologist

I went to the midnight showing, to which I got the tickets in advance. It was sold out and packed. Several people wore hats and Indy t-shirts, which really warmed my heart. I yakked it up with a few dressed-up fans before the show. People got into it right away and yelled and laughed at the right moments. When it was over and the credits rolled, I noticed only about 25% of the crowd clapped and everyone was in a hurry to get outta there. People were quiet. You could feel the major disappointment tinged with embarrassment in the room. It was sad, really. I went home and hung my head for the next month. Heck, it's still hanging a little...sigh.

AnnieJones

Experiences you had While Watching Indiana Jones 4 at the Theater

I was just wondering if any of you had any experiences(good,bad,or neither)at the theater while watching Indy 4? Personally,I had one.It happened during the sand pit scene and my family and I were sitting near the middle back of the theater and there was this guy,maybe in his 40s sitting toward our front right,and when Marion said,"He's your son",the guy yelled,"I knew it",like as if he thought he was the only one who suspected it.

Just putting this out there,but according to my ticket I saw Indy 4 on May 28,2008 at 4:00 P.M. and the ticket was $6.75(now a tickets are $7.00).

Indy's Fist

AnnieJones said:
I was just wondering if any of you had any experiences(good,bad,or neither)at the theater while watching Indy 4? Personally,I had one.It happened during the sand pit scene and my family and I were sitting near the middle back of the theater and there was this guy,maybe in his 40s sitting toward our front right,and when Marion said,"He's your son",the guy yelled,"I knew it",like as if he thought he was the only one who suspected it.

Just putting this out there,but according to my ticket I saw Indy 4 on May 28,2008 at 4:00 P.M. and the ticket was $6.75(now a tickets are $7.00).
That's a funny story! I had a great experience seeing KOTCS opening day. I was surprised by the various ages amoung the audience, from young to old. Everyone laughed at the right times and many clapped at the end!

bennihana123

Midnight Showing :whip:

The Theater was packed, and when the old Paramount logo went on the screen everyone cheered. Same during the opening credits when Karen Allen and Harrison Ford's names went on. Some even booed when it said 'Shia LaBeouf' :p

Anyway, the crowd loved it, but everyone laughed at the nuked fridge (not in a good way). I did hear a few people say 'Aliens? Come on.' or 'THAT was disappointing.'

For the most part everyone loved it. It was a blast. (y)

Crack that whip

At the opening showing I attended, I saw someone in the lobby dressed in full Indy regalia; it was pretty neat. I jokingly asked him what movie he was there to see, hoping and expecting some humorous response, but he simply said "Indiana Jones," apparently thinking I really didn't guess immediately, which made me wonder whether he thought I was a complete doofus for asking. :eek: :eek: There was also a woman in... 'quasi-Indy-esque' garb, not exactly replicating "The Gear" but sporting a fedora and a bunch of generally "adventurous"-looking clothing.

The movie itself garnered an appreciative response from an audience that clearly enjoyed it, though it didn't react with anything near the wild appreciation I recall experiencing with the original Raiders the first time, all those years ago. It was quite fun all the same, though I found myself wondering how people I knew would react to things like the fridge and all. The biggest and most delightful surprise in the movie (at least for me) was the wedding; for whatever reason I didn't see it coming at all, even though in retrospect it seems like such an obvious thing to expect, and I was thrilled. I heard other people express their delight at this closing moment as well.

The second time I saw it, also on opening day but in a completely different theater and city, the theater's sound was annoyingly muffled-sounding. I was particularly disappointed because I was seeing it with friends who were seeing it for the first time ever, and I wanted them to experience it under better conditions. :mad:

James

Crack that whip said:
The biggest and most delightful surprise in the movie (at least for me) was the wedding; for whatever reason I didn't see it coming at all, even though in retrospect it seems like such an obvious thing to expect

This was the one thing that really caught me offguard too, even though- as you say- it should've been entirely obvious.

indyrocks1936

ok, so i went opening day at like 7:15pm( i couldn't go earlier:( and there were quite a few people. And i saw some teenagers down in front(we went in the top seats:) and when indy donned his fedora for the first time, people cheered! I was about to when everyone was silent when Indy said "Russians" I really had a good experiance at the theathres. :whip:

jonesissparrow

I saw KOTCS with dad on his birthday and we went to Cinema Cafe because it was cheaper and we watched the film on a slightly old screen but in actuality it just added to film as it was suppose to be a 1950s B - movie and I was excited about that. There was an audience in theater but it was dead to me because I didn't hear anything no cheers, jeers, laughing, or anything!

The first screening I saw was the middle of the day, I took a long lunch and had the theater to myself. Thank God, there was no one there to break my mood! I had a private screening to experience it without influence! Matinee pricing!

The fridge and other weak points were easy to ignore...I was there to see Indy. I caught myself laughing, rolling the eyes a little. Advance interviews talked about the sparse use of CGI, and the Raiders tone. Thank God I read Frank Marshall's response to the movie's tone. He flatly said, no to Raiders...that it was in line with Crusade. So I had a good idea what to expect.

Ultimately it was a Crusade type movie in Raiders locations. Not to bad!

Saw it many more times, all different venues/crowds...unfortunately none where people were cheering. That might have been pretty cool, or pretty annoying.

DocWhiskey

I won tickets from a newspaper to see KOTCS 2 days early. So I took a friend of mine who was also a huge Indyfan. They gave us a poster in the lobby and had trivia before the film. I was always updated on the spoilers and news and he tried to keep away from any news and spoilers. So it would be interesting to get both our reactions.

That being said, we were both largely disappointed.

We didn't talk the whole ride home. He even contemplated throwing out his poster. Haha. We were really pathetic. The crowd was pumped but as the film progressed you could just feel the energy being sucked out of the room. By the end of the film everyone silently shuffled out. I'll never forget at the beginning of the screening the woman announced "Are you ready to see Indiana Jones 4?!" And everyone cheered but this one guy in the back screamed, "Batman!".

Anyway, a manager at my friend's theater did a favor for us and let us have the "small" theater to ourselves and let us watch KOTCS at 10 instead of the midnight showing. So it was me and 5 other friends. I enjoyed it a lot more.

I seen it 2 more times after that liking it more everytime. And now that I've seen it on DVD countless times, I think it's worthy of being placed alongside the other Indy DVDs.