Indy 5 news 2018

FordFan

Udvarnoky said:
I just don't think it had commercial prospects, regardless of how it was marketed. I'll forever be pinching myself that we got it, because goodness knows we don't get hard sci-fi aimed at grownups in the cinema these days, let alone with a significant budget, but what happened was foreseeable.

Amen.

And okay... it didn't make a lot of money. Would we rather it made okay money and is revered in 30 years, like the original? Or that it makes boatloads of cash, but we don't want to watch it again, like one of the new JW films?

seasider

Udvarnoky said:
Since the Variety scoop is technically rumor, it would be nice if Disney or Spielberg could confirm the intention to push back the release date, though there's no rule that says they have to. Spielberg's not shooting anything at the moment, so he's not going to be promoting anything this year. It could be a while before we get a quote from anybody. I feel like if there was something fundamentally inaccurate about the report, though, Disney would have gainsaid it by now.

The thing that bugs me about the Variety article is they make this bold declaration that the movie won't come out in July 2020 and then they mention all the issues with the screenwriter change, the shooting schedule being postponed, etc. While that is a big problem, it does not necessarily translate into the movie not making its release date. If Spielberg really really wanted to make that date, he would make that deadline even with the delays especially when you consider his reputation for shooting movies at a breakneck pace.

Which leads me to believe that the delay (if true) is something that Spielberg instigated.

Udvarnoky

Only Spielberg or Ford could have caused a delay, because only they could have rejected the script. I don't think this is like Star Wars where Iger and Kennedy and whomever else has to rubberstamp everything. It's possible Spielberg is still running the material by George, but he's been pointedly under the radar where this project is concerned from day one.

For Spielberg to have been talking about an April 2019 start date only months ago tells me they must have been pretty confident in the material until recently. And if they were confident in the material recently, that could suggest they're just looking to do a polish. Of course, Spielberg had a start date for the Darabont draft, too. We can only wait and see.

I tend to agree that dismissing the July 2020 date as no longer possible doesn't shake hands with the rest of the information in that article. Production on CRYSTAL SKULL lasted from June 2007 - October 2007 for a May 2008 release. If we use that as a reference point, INDY 5 can start shooting as late as August 2019 and make the current release date on the same time table. That gives them another 13-14 months to do script work and prep the movie. The only way that would be anything less than plenty of time is if the script is getting a page one rewrite or if Spielberg has made the call to slide up a different project. Or if they'll pulling a freaking THE IRISHMAN and will be de-aging Ford for half the movie and need 18 months of post to pull it off.

The $64,000 question is what happened since Koepp's August 2017 remarks that they were close to satisfied with the script, and Spielberg's March 2018 remarks that he had scheduled a start date. They either suddenly turned against the material, or Variety's sources have overestimated the significance of Koepp getting rewritten.

Last edited:

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
The $64,000 question is what happened since Koepp's August 2017 remarks that they were close to satisfied with the script, and Spielberg's March 2018 remarks that he had scheduled a start date. They either suddenly turned against the material, or Variety's sources have overestimated the significance of Koepp getting rewritten.
I think it's most likely the latter in this case. I find it hard to believe that Spielberg would just end up rejecting Koepp's script directly, as the two have been strong collaborators from the get-go. I find it most likely that Koepp viewed his work on the script as finished and passed it off to Jon Kasdan for review.

TheFirebird1

Face_Palm said:
The delay could just mean a couple of months.
I would be happy with a December 2020 release date.
I think you're right. When we hear the word "delay", we shouldn't automatically freak out and think it'll be delayed to the end of the decade. It's safe at the moment to say that Indy 5 will come out at least before July 2021 at this point.
But if I'm wrong I'll soon be eating some crow.

Face_Melt

TheFirebird1 said:
I think you're right. When we hear the word "delay", we shouldn't automatically freak out and think it'll be delayed to the end of the decade. It's safe at the moment to say that Indy 5 will come out at least before July 2021 at this point.
But if I'm wrong I'll soon be eating some crow.

I think they could spin this as a 40th anniversary of the franchise in 2021 with one last outing. I just want this film made. I want one more Indy with Ford and Spielberg with John Williams composing more than anything else in film.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
It's possible Spielberg is still running the material by George, but he's been pointedly under the radar where this project is concerned from day one.
Steven: So George this is the latest script what do you think :D
George: Very long awkward pause....well I dislike this this & this Indy would never do that its too similar to these movies we got beat up by the fans on KOTCS so no way do I want the same thing to happen on 5 as like you I have to go into therapy when the fans call us out on our story choices :rolleyes:
Steven: Yes George I agree I also hate the fans criticising us they are so ungrateful :( Let me get you another draft from a different writer & address your concerns :hat:
George: Sounds good to me. Harrison can go flying around the world a few times & just wait so can the rest of world lets take another few years to make it more fan friendly that way they would not dare criticise us ever again :dead: (n)
Steven: Yes George I agree. I have these other movies I REALLY want to make instead anyway. After the recent Star Wars fan backlash I am less interested in Indy 5 anyway & Disney are hands on now they want to approve everything :sick: :dead: :gun: (n)

Or something along those lines. Only George would delay it this late in the game unless Spielberg is backing out gently as he doubts the actual story material in the script he commissioned Koepp to write.

Disney have not yet announced a release date change yet so it could well be they are hoping it makes the date otherwise they have to find something else to replace it with. Disney also have to publicly announce it to their shareholders & it can slightly move the share price down if its negative news.

When Lucas owned Indy he could do whatever he wanted Paramount were just distribution partners. Disney are the new paymasters so they can insist on changes I doubt they have given Spielberg an open cheque book on budget either.

moon_tan

I see the word "delay" again and it pisses me off. I wish I could go into the Spielberg office and tell him to "either sh!t or get off the pot". Stop the delays! (n)
I want a new Indiana Jones movie too. I'm getting older and we all are getting older.
So far, Disney has not removed Indiana Jones 5 from the July 2020 release spot. So let's see how quickly Jonathan Kasdan can rework this script. I thought maybe he was just going to add and polish the script after the first draft has already been finished. But then I read that their is a "delay" because Kasdan had not actually signed to it.
Variety and these other media spark plugs seem to think Spielberg will now move forward with his remake movie of "West Side Story", leaving Indiana Jones behind.
They only thing we know for sure is Harrison Ford is ready.
But with each delay, I worry that something will happen to Harrison Ford in his 70's. He could have a heart attack, a stroke or even come down with pneumonia and die in a matter of days.
It was just too good to be true that we might actually get a new Indiana Jones movie while we still have good-looking skin.
I guess we better wake up Harrison Ford from his nursing home bed :sleep: when ever Spielberg and Disney are ready to film this clam bake :hat:

seasider

The hiring of Jon Kasdan is also a curious decision. He's not someone who you'd typically bring in for a script rewrite. Spielberg will typically get someone who is a veteran of the industry or someone he has a long relationship with (e.g: Frank Darabont, Coen Brothers, Steven Zaillian).

My only guess is that he was highly recommended by Kathleen Kennedy and his Dad, Lawrence. And given Spielberg's recent collaborations, he has been bit more bold in the writers he chooses. Both The Post and Bridge of Spies were written by young writers who were relatively unknown: Marc Charman and Liz Hannah.

Face_Melt

moon_tan said:
I see the word "delay" again and it pisses me off. I wish I could go into the Spielberg office and tell him to "either sh!t or get off the pot". Stop the delays! (n)
I want a new Indiana Jones movie too. I'm getting older and we all are getting older.
So far, Disney has not removed Indiana Jones 5 from the July 2020 release spot. So let's see how quickly Jonathan Kasdan can rework this script. I thought maybe he was just going to add and polish the script after the first draft has already been finished. But then I read that their is a "delay" because Kasdan had not actually signed to it.
Variety and these other media spark plugs seem to think Spielberg will now move forward with his remake movie of "West Side Story", leaving Indiana Jones behind.
They only thing we know for sure is Harrison Ford is ready.
But with each delay, I worry that something will happen to Harrison Ford in his 70's. He could have a heart attack, a stroke or even come down with pneumonia and die in a matter of days.
It was just too good to be true that we might actually get a new Indiana Jones movie while we still have good-looking skin.
I guess we better wake up Harrison Ford from his nursing home bed :sleep: when ever Spielberg and Disney are ready to film this clam bake :hat:

While it is true something could happen to Harrison any day, his father did live to be 92 years old and his mother lived to be 87. So longevity is in his family and he is probably in much better health and strength than they were. He certainly can afford better healthcare as well. I’m not worried about Harrison, but these delays are getting really annoying.

Dr.Sartorius

I like this in the article:

"Koepp wrote the script for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and that didn't turn out the way the studio wanted."

Is that why he was hired to write the first draft of Indy 5? Also, did the almost $800 million gross not sit well with them? :rolleyes:

Face_Melt

Dr.Sartorius said:
I like this in the article:

"Koepp wrote the script for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and that didn't turn out the way the studio wanted."

Is that why he was hired to write the first draft of Indy 5? Also, did the almost $800 million gross not sit well with them? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Indy 4 was a huge box office success. It also has a 78% approval rating which is a hell of a lot better than modern blockbusters such as these:

Jurassic World = 71%
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom = 51%
Avengers Age of Ultron = 72%
Batman V Superman = 27%
Ready Player One = 74%
Justice League = 48%

And so on...

Dr.Sartorius

Face_Palm said:
Yeah, Indy 4 was a huge box office success. It also has a 78% approval rating which is a hell of a lot better than modern blockbusters such as these:

Jurassic World = 71%
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom = 51%
Avengers Age of Ultron = 72%
Batman V Superman = 27%
Ready Player One = 74%
Justice League = 48%

And so on...

It's domestic gross is actually over $400 million adjusted for inflation too.

Face_Melt

Dr.Sartorius said:
It's domestic gross is actually over $400 million adjusted for inflation too.

Yep. And Disney knows Harrison is a box office draw. TFA made over 2 Billion and the franchise has taken a dip since his departure.

Dr.Sartorius

Face_Palm said:
Yep. And Disney knows Harrison is a box office draw. TFA made over 2 Billion and the franchise has taken a dip since his departure.

When it comes to SW and Indy, yep he's a huge draw. I wish they hired Kasdan first. :mad: