Votes: 6 30.0%
  • the same age as me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
The most cynical conclusion is not by definition the most likely one, despite what you assert.

No, but the simplest conclusion (Solo bombed, other LF projects are being reevaluated because of this) is usually the most likely. I have been wanting a fifth Indy since 2008. I don't want one anymore. What, where Harrison is reduced to a cameo role of maybe 25 mins screentime, or not in it at all, or you have KK nonsense in it? No thanks.

Dr.Sartorius

Yes, totally rewrite a character just to fit a radical political agenda.

Lol. It will never happen. Relax.

Raiders112390 said:
No, but the simplest conclusion (Solo bombed, other LF projects are being reevaluated because of this) is usually the most likely. I have been wanting a fifth Indy since 2008. I don't want one anymore. What, where Harrison is reduced to a cameo role of maybe 25 mins screentime, or not in it at all, or you have KK nonsense in it? No thanks.

We actually agree on something.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
I think the failure of Solo has brought all films in development at LF under much tighter oversight and scrutiny. I mean, from a business perspective, it would make sense to reevaluate everything after the latest entry in the most popular franchise in cinema literally flopped. This is IMO why you're seeing Kasdan drafted in to probably rewrite the script in whole, and why production may have been pushed back as much as a year. Perhaps Indy 5 was running independently of LF before, but I think the ball game has in the last few weeks changed dramatically. Spielberg at one time was sort of a partner to Lucas when it came to Indy; Lucas at least listened to him and Berg was a part of the creative process; now, with a corporate run LF, he is a hireling director like anyone else. I doubt he has much pull.

Even if she is out, her reported successor is her personal protege who from what I have read is just as bad as she is.
Well, let's address Kasdan's intro into the Indy franchise. He came in supposedly because Koepp is working on another screenplay. The "one-year delay" was a number pulled out of thin air by the authors of an article which had no sources behind it, so it's most likely unreliable. At most he'll finish a few months later. I know you and I will interpret the situation somewhat differently, but I think Spielberg has more pull than you give him for.

seasider

Raiders112390 said:
I wonder if Kasdan will write Indy as a pansexual, too? Maybe have a scene of a male college student leaving his home, quipping that he and Marion are 60s swingers anyway. It's 2018. Can't have your main character be a straight white male unless you're a bigot.

Well, you know in Last Crusade Indy talks about having "fond memories" of the family dog he chose to name himself after. You might be on to something there. :whip:

JasonMa

Raiders112390 said:
Look at the TLJ or how KK and her crew are making it seem like anyone who has issue with that film or Solo is a sexist, racist, or bigot.
Are we just going to ignore that there is a very vocal contingent of TLJ haters who are sexist and racist? Look what happened to Kelly Marie Tran.

I'm not saying that if you hate TLJ you're a sexist or a racist (I hated it and I'm certainly not) but there has been a lot of vocal haters who fall into that category.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyBuff

All I can do is go by what's come before. People like Kasdan have shown they use whatever project they're working on as a vehicle to push their political views. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong but as of now I don't have high hopes that Indy will fare any better.

TheFirebird1

IndyBuff said:
All I can do is go by what's come before. People like Kasdan have shown they use whatever project they're working on as a vehicle to push their political views. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong but as of now I don't have high hopes that Indy will fare any better.
Can I ask what you thought of as overtly political in Solo, or by extension any of Kasdan's films? Like I said before, most of the complaints usually pushed forward were either not mentioned in the movie (Lando's apparent pansexuality) or meant as satire. He wrote a pretty standard adventure flick that was not at all impacted by political correctness in the final product. Stating otherwise would be incorrect.
Edit: In fact, his political views are the least thing I'm concerned with at the moment. I just want to make sure he can craft a great script (Solo was good, but definitely needed a lot of improvement).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Added a poll. :)

His acting debut was in The Big Chill as the son of Kevin Kline, who sings the Raiders theme.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
I just want to make sure he can craft a great script (Solo was good, but definitely needed a lot of improvement).

Check out his other screenplays, besides Solo.

In the Land of Women
220px-In_the_land_of_women.jpg

The First Time
220px-The_First_Time_Movie_Poster_2012.jpg

Yep, this is our adventure writer.

TheFirebird1

Pale Horse said:
Check out his other screenplays, besides Solo.

In the Land of Women
220px-In_the_land_of_women.jpg

The First Time
220px-The_First_Time_Movie_Poster_2012.jpg

Yep, this is our adventure writer.
Two can play at this game, my friend. ;)
As one can discern from a simple Google search, his father, the scriptwriter for Raiders of the Lost Ark, also wrote these:
01-351646.jpg

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/9005800/p9005800_p_v8_ah.jpg

Would you judge Lawrence's whole career based off these two films? Diversification of screenplays isn't a bad thing at all, it's something many scriptwriters engage in. To criticize Jonathan for it and not anyone else seems a tad hypocritical.
Besides, based off Solo, it's clear he can manage at least a decent adventure film.

Last edited by a moderator:

Udvarnoky

Kasdan's cardinal qualification in my eyes is the fact that he isn't David Koepp. I think the more critical question right now though is not who replaced Koepp, but why Koepp needed replacing. The motive could be as simple as Koepp no longer being available or as substantial as a change in direction.

Raiders112390 said:

I think you might be confusing "simplest" with "what harmonizes best with my paranoia."

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
Two can play at this game, my friend. ;)
As one can discern from a simple Google search, his father, the scriptwriter for Raiders of the Lost Ark, also wrote these....Would you judge Lawrence's whole career based off these two films? Diversification of screenplays isn't a bad thing at all, it's something many scriptwriters engage in.

While I understand your intent, it's misguided and inaccurate. You pull two films from 15+ years post Empire and Raiders to make your point.

Bird on a hot seat said:
...To criticize Jonathan for it and not anyone else seems a tad hypocritical.

I literally showed that Kasdan-the-Lessor only has 3 screenplays we can judge. Two rom/com's and a 'polish-and-retool' of his fathers adventure film.

Udvarnoky or the well remembered Dr. Gonzo may remember better a conversation from a 1/2 a decade ago about what happens when screenwriters start to take over from previous authors, how character, motivation and intent fall apart. It was either in the Nathanson; Boam; Koepp; or Darabont screenplay discussions. Too many cooks, spoil the brew. And these were accomplished craftsmen.

JK is just too young and inexperienced for me to put faith in a 2nd retool screenplay assignment.

Raiders90

Yeah, I am pretty certain now that whatever we get will make CS look like a cinematic masterpiece in comparison. We will be pining for the days of Le Beef.

TheFirebird1

Very white land mammal said:
While I understand your intent, it's misguided and inaccurate. You pull two films from 15+ years post Empire and Raiders to make your point.

I literally showed that Kasdan-the-Lesser only has 3 screenplays we can judge. Two rom/com's and a 'polish-and-retool' of his fathers adventure film.

Udvarnoky or the well remembered Dr. Gonzo may remember better a conversation from a 1/2 a decade ago about what happens when screenwriters start to take over from previous authors, how character, motivation and intent fall apart. It was either in the Nathanson; Boam; Koepp; or Darabont screenplay discussions. Too many cooks, spoil the brew. And these were accomplished craftsmen.

JK is just too young and inexperienced for me to put faith in a 2nd retool screenplay assignment.
The Bird on a Hot Seat has returned! (y)
(On a side note, that's probably better than my username at the moment).
Here's the problem. Until we know what JK's extent in retooling the script for Indy 5 is, it's not really safe to assume anything. At this point, it's possible that he's just editing certain scenes rather than the script as a whole.
In all honesty, I haven't seen any of JK's romcoms, and based on the looks of them I'm sure that they're absolutely awful, so I'll give you that. But I have seen Solo, and my opinion of the film was that Kasdan was able to craft a relatively exciting (if all too safe) space Western. You may disagree with my intent of picking out LK's own cinematic travesties, but my point still stands.
In the end, I think Kasdan could benefit (rather than face doom) from the "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario. I'm sure that he and Koepp are at least in minimal contact, seeing as how Koepp had to leave not due to a falling out like Darabont but rather a contractual obligation to finish another screenplay, and I think the finished project will have little to no cognitive dissonance in it's screenplay.
If I'm wrong, get ready to see me eat some crow.

Raiders90

All I want is one last Harrison movie, set in the 60s, where he is the lead or at least takes up over 60% of the screentime, gets in a good chase or gunfight. Is that too much to ask? I'm fine with them turning Indy into a genderqueer/pansexual post op transsexual named Indiana Joan after that. Just gimme me a good 60s set Harrison outing first.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Be careful what you wish for...

Harrison Ford stars in: Indiana Jones, In and Out. :p

Oh I'm fully aware of the risks, but the idea is too tempting. Do you really want Indy to live out his days being henpecked by Marion and dealing with Mutt? Give the old man one last ride before he's dropped off in the Asylum.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Oh I'm fully aware of the risks, but the idea is too tempting. Do you really want Indy to live out his days being henpecked by Marion and dealing with Mutt? Give the old man one last ride before he's dropped off in the Asylum.
Get ready....

We thought we knew all about Dr. Jones - but a former student, now a successful actor, is about to drop a bombshell, just as the ageing adventurer, now in his sixties, is ready to leave on an exotic trip to recover a priceless artifact with his young assistant Ben Dover...

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
The Bird on a Hot Seat has returned! (y)
(On a side note, that's probably better than my username at the moment).
Here's the problem. Until we know what JK's extent in retooling the script for Indy 5 is, it's not really safe to assume anything. At this point, it's possible that he's just editing certain scenes rather than the script as a whole.

I agree. There's no way of knowing dad's thoughts/progress.

In all honesty, I haven't seen any of JK's romcoms, and based on the looks of them I'm sure that they're absolutely awful, so I'll give you that.

Nor have I, but it doesn't look promising. Relationship hijinks at best.

But I have seen Solo, and my opinion of the film was that Kasdan was able to craft a relatively exciting (if all too safe) space Western.

What it lacked, it lacked out of standing in the shadow of better films, more than what it may have faulted on it's own. I try to remember that. Nevertheless, the concept to humanize droid rights should have been fought, and there should have been a clearer intent from Crimson Dawn (which reminded me too much of (Asian Dawn in Die Hard).

In the end, I think Kasdan could benefit (rather than face doom) from the "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario. I'm sure that he and Koepp are at least in minimal contact, seeing as how Koepp had to leave not due to a falling out like Darabont but rather a contractual obligation to finish another screenplay, and I think the finished project will have little to no cognitive dissonance in it's screenplay.

My time in college taught me there is value in writer collaboration. You're not wrong that a budding writer could benefit from better storytellers. The odds, though aren't in his favor.

If I'm wrong, get ready to see me eat some crow.

You're post earned my respect. I put you to some heat and you tempered well. If you have to eat crow, I won't be serving it.

TheFirebird1

Pale Horse said:
I agree. There's no way of knowing dad's thoughts/progress.

Nor have I, but it doesn't look promising. Relationship hijinks at best.

What it lacked, it lacked out of standing in the shadow of better films, more than what it may have faulted on it's own. I try to remember that. Nevertheless, the concept to humanize droid rights should have been fought, and there should have been a clearer intent from Crimson Dawn (which reminded me too much of (Asian Dawn in Die Hard).

My time in college taught me there is value in writer collaboration. You're not wrong that a budding writer could benefit from better storytellers. The odds, though aren't in his favor.

You're post earned my respect. I put you to some heat and you tempered well. If you have to eat crow, I won't be serving it.
Pale Horse,
First off, thank you. Your words mean a lot to me, and I'm glad that I've been able to contribute at least a little to this forum.
Secondly, I completely agree with your observations on Solo's faults (and by extension Jon Kasdan's). Even though I think Kasdan wrote a good script, there were definitely numerous pratfalls and issues in the story that took away from appreciating it completely. Like you mentioned, the villains weren't exactly fleshed out on either a personal level (like Dryden Vos) or on a more general level, like Crimson Dawn, which assumed the role of a substandard "vast criminal organization", one that wasn't described in detail whatsoever.
In the end, our opinions on Kasdan's contribution to the script might also somewhat stem from our views on Indy 5 in its current state. I'm choosing to take a more positive viewpoint, but I fully understand the negative counterpoints. Kasdan will have a lot to prove to us, especially viewing his resume at the moment.