Indy 5 news 2018

Toht's Arm

Trying to move things away from supposed "agendas" once more...the other (worst case?) scenario is that the rewrite has been ordered so that the film DOES include flashbacks to a younger Indy. If anyone higher up in Disney were use their clout, that's something that's feasible...

Silvor

Toht's Arm said:
Trying to move things away from supposed "agendas" once more...the other (worst case?) scenario is that the rewrite has been ordered so that the film DOES include flashbacks to a younger Indy. If anyone higher up in Disney were use their clout, that's something that's feasible...

Yeah I worry about Disney taking control over the project.
I think it could be that the lackluster box office of Last Jedi and Solo has made Disney want to take a more active role in the development of Indy 5 than they originally planned. All we ever heard was that Spielberg Koepp and Ford were the ones collaborating on the script.

The thing that gives me a little hope is that Solo under-performed, and that movie featured a recasting of a beloved Ford character, which could make them wary of doing that again, at least in the foreseeable future.

I really hope it's just a polish of the script, as last we heard they had a script they were "mostly happy with" but if it's just a polish why will the movie miss it's 2020 date? It doesn't really add up.

I really do wonder what happened with this project, Spielberg seemed super enthusiastic about it some years ago, bringing it up in interviews and even speeches himself.

I thought Ready Player One showed there's still some of that old Spielberg magic left so I really think he does have another great Indy in him.

Raiders90

"The upcoming Disney picture will now be released on July 9, 2021, the studio revealed on Tuesday (July 10)."

lmao.

Z dweller

Yep, it's official now.

I think it's safe to assume that:
1) Kasdan is doing a full re-write.
2) Disney have moved away from the idea of Ford leading the entire movie in favor of parallel stories, with a younger actor playing Indy in flashback scenes and Ford in the 60s.

Face_Melt

As I said before this is the final chance this film gets made. They can spin it as a 40th anniversary of the franchise film with Ford, Spielberg and Williams.

If it gets delayed or pushed back again it?s over. Very disappointing that this has happened to say the least.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Yep, it's official now.

I think it's safe to assume that:
1) Kasdan is doing a full re-write.
2) Disney have moved away from the idea of Ford leading the entire movie in favor of parallel stories, with a younger actor playing Indy in flashback scenes and Ford in the 60s.

I think they've kicked Harrison off totally and are going full reboot (or he will at best only open and close the film [Indy on his death bed telling his grandkids a story Big Fish style] in screen time totalling 20 mins ala George Hall)

Z dweller

So, let's recap.

March 15, 2016: Indy 5 first announced on with a July 19, 2019 release date.
April 25, 2017: pushed back to to July 20, 2020.
July 10, 2018: pushed back to July 9, 2021.

Ford turns 76 on Friday.

There isn't a snowball chance in hell Disney lets him star for the whole movie now.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
So, let's recap.

March 15, 2016: Indy 5 first announced on with a July 19, 2019 release date.
April 25, 2017: pushed back to to July 20, 2020.
July 10, 2018: pushed back to July 9, 2021.

Ford turns 76 on Friday.

There isn't a snowball chance in hell Disney lets him star for the whole movie now.

What do you think of my "Big Fish" Indy idea? Indy is in his late 60s, dying, and he tells a son or grandson about this amazing adventure he had in the 20s (cut to new actor)...And then in a relatively short sequence Indy and son/grandson finish the adventure together but Indy dies, and passes on his hat. Think Disney will go that route or some variation?

Another variant: He tells some young, glory hungry assistant about an adventure back in the 20s/30s, a flashback to which takes up the bulk of the film. In the present, assistant and Old Indy follow clues from the 20s/30s adventure (via flashbacks from Old Indy, remembering something) and recover MacGuffin together, but not before Indy perishes - the prize escaping one last time. Maybe he catches a bullet saving the assistant, and they can have him pinned under something ala Kirk, blood flowing from his mouth spouting off some cliched "We did it...Didn't we?" dialog and passing his hat on.

Silvor

Well, there we have it, delayed for a full year :(
As I've said before I'm extreme curious about what's exactly been going on behind the scenes of this project. At first Spielberg was extremely enthusiastic, but over time that seemingly has changed.

No matter how sure folks over on these boards are as to what Disney are doing all anybody can do i speculate.
The thing that gives me a little bit of hope for Ford still leading the movie and not doing a recast is how poorly Solo fared, being another recast of an iconic Ford character.
Also, a parallel younger and older story would be so cliche and expected, another reason I hope they stay away from it.

But I must admit delaying a whole year making Ford 77 when filming are making things look grim in my eyes. Unless the Koepp script really was utter crap and that is the reason for the delay, that they want to send Indy out the right way.

Personally I'd rather Ford just walk away if Disney are just using him as a springboard to continue the series. I got the impression this project was something Ford himself actually really wanted to do. Being sidelined in his own movie is not something I'd want to see.

But guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
What do you think of my "Big Fish" Indy idea? Indy is in his late 60s, dying, and he tells a son or grandson about this amazing adventure he had in the 20s (cut to new actor)...And then in a relatively short sequence Indy and son/grandson finish the adventure together but Indy dies, and passes on his hat. Think Disney will go that route or some variation?
Nah, they won't kill him off.

They may well just use Ford to bookend a main story set in the past, though.

Udvarnoky

"What this movie really needs is for Harrison Ford to be 77 when we shoot it. It would be ideal if John Williams is 90 when he composes it, too."

-Steven Spielberg, apparently

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Nah, they won't kill him off.

They may well just use Ford to bookend a main story set in the past, though.

Killing him off kills any hope of Ford reprising the role again in any form, which for Disney is a good thing.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Killing him off kills any hope of Ford reprising the role again in any form, which for Disney is a good thing.
Get real.

With Ford pushing 80 I really don't think anyone is considering that a possibility outside of these boards.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:

It’s actually not. Look at Solos box office performance compared to The Force Awakens. Ford is a huge sell.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Ford is a huge sell.
Ford + Hamill + Fisher was the main reason why TFA performed so well.

I suspect that Disney, in their post-TFA hubris, were looking to replicate the same formula for Indy 5 - hence the march 2016 announcement.

But it looks like they changed their mind now.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
Ford + Hamill + Fisher was the main reason why TFA performed so well.

I suspect that Disney, in their post-TFA hubris, were looking to replicate the same formula for Indy 5 - hence the march 2016 announcement.

But it looks like they changed their mind now.

Ok then look at TLJ compared to TFA, still a huge drop when they removed Ford.