Indy 5 news 2018

Udvarnoky

Sure, but you can't compare Blade Runner as an IP to Star Wars when it comes to being able to count on the public to just lap it up. Especially given that the original film was not particularly successful.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Sure, but you can't compare Blade Runner as an IP to Star Wars when it comes to being able to count on the public to just lap it up. Especially given that the original film was not particularly successful.
Doesn't change the fact that these days Ford on his own doesn't have the same pull he used to have.

And all the goodwill for a long-awaited-for Indy sequel was squandered with KOTCS.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
If Ford were enough of a pull on his own, BR2049 would not have bombed...

Neither Blade Runner films were successful. The original flopped as did its sequel.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones are another matter completely.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
Doesn't change the fact that these days Ford on his own doesn't have the same pull he used to have.

And all the goodwill for a long-awaited-for Indy sequel was squandered with KOTCS.

KOTCS made almost $800 MiLLION worldwide and had a 78% approval rating. That?s a better reviewed film than Avengers Age of Ultron, Ready Player One, both Jurassic World films and just about all of the DCEU as well as a ton of modern blockbusters.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
KOTCS made almost $800 MiLLION worldwide and had a 78% approval rating. That’s a better reviewed film than Avengers Age of Ultron, Ready Player One, both Jurassic World films and just about all of the DCEU as well as a ton of modern blockbusters.
Every day that goes by diminishes Ford's pull, and Disney know that only too well.

Another year delay? They clearly reviewed their strategy.

TheFirebird1

Walecs said:
A full year?
Well, to quote our favorite scholar here on the boards...
tumblr_inline_mla8siQxZ51qz4rgp.gif

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Bring in someone who looks like the guy in the second gif, not the old geezer in the first! :p
Hey now! I know the one in the first doesn't look great, but here's one from just last year where he looked a lot better:
Harrison%20Ford-Cover-1017-GQ-CV04-01.jpg

Y'know, I just had this really strange thought in my head about Ryan Gosling playing Indy based off his performance in BR2049. Think he could pull it off?
Blade-Runner-2049-with-Ryan-Gosling-600x300.jpg

For example, something in this shot reminded me a lot of Harrison, for some reason.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Hey now! I know the one in the first doesn't look great, but here's one from just last year where he looked a lot better
Nah, still too old to play Indy, I'm afraid.
TheFirebird1 said:
Y'know, I just had this really strange thought in my head about Ryan Gosling playing Indy based off his performance in BR2049. Think he could pull it off?
It's been discussed here before. Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea.
TheFirebird1 said:
For example, something in this shot reminded me a lot of Harrison, for some reason.
It's the coat, very similar to the one Ford wore in the original BR.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
It's been discussed here before. Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea.

It's the coat, very similar to the one Ford wore in the original BR.
Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the idea either. The coat does contribute to the look, but I also remembered a few shots in the movie where Gosling reminded me of Indy back in Nepal. I don't really know why, perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but it's undeniable that there's at least a tangential resemblance between the two actors.
latest

139c5218af3b37c476ac5b8c9cdd252c.jpg

Edit: You know what? It might really be that coat he's wearing that suggests such a strong resemblance to Harrison.
But then there's this. He resembles like ToD Indy in this one, definitely.
Ryan-Gosling-during-Golden-Globes-2017.jpg

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

Its hard to deny disappointment at the release push, but I'll simply chose to look at it at a positive light: I'm glad of this news proves they're ACTUALLY working on it(from what I understand, the Koepp script never got written and the fact he was "working" on it was never more than PR). Kasdan is a minor upgrade from Koepp.

I think they definitely will have the first half of the movie be with a younger actor like Ingruber while Ford will carry the 2nd half of the movie. Because the thing is, this is Disney we're talking about and Bob Iger's Disney isn't interested in a hit stand-alone film, they're interested in billion dollar franchises. Having a younger actor carry most of the movie will be the only way to assure this franchise has a direction to go for the future be it future films or a Netflix show.

Having the half-and-half route will give them a chance to give Ford and the rest of the Indiana Jones crew(Speilberg/Williams/Kahn etc.) one final hurrah while still taking franchise in a direction for new younger audience.

TheFirebird1

Forbidden Eye said:
(from what I understand, the Koepp script never got written and the fact he was "working" on it was never more than PR). Kasdan is a minor upgrade from Koepp..
Can I ask where you got the info that Koepp never wrote a script? According to Harrison back in October 2017, the script (or at least a draft of it) had been finished.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
Ford will not be involved in any capacity.
We can't start throwing around wild claims like this when nothing, absolutely nothing has been said about the film yet bar a constantly changing release date and a entourage of screenwriters. Until there's actually something tangible--i.e., a plot announcement, posters, trailers, set photos, etc., you can only assume that the beards--plus Harrison--are involved, going by everyone's statements at this time.

Raiders90

I am certain that either of the two following scenarios will happen:

Ford will either:

Not be involved;

or

his screentime will be under 40 minutes

If I am wrong, come 7/9/21, ban me, that is how certain I am.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
you can only assume that the beards--plus Harrison--are involved, going by everyone's statements at this time.
Assume = speculate, no less than anyone else's post.

The only certainty we have at this stage is that there will be no new Indy movie for at least another three years. :(

Raiders90

I will also predict Ford's Indy will be, if Harrison is involved, will be dying or die in the film and he will have at most one single action scene, and his sequences, if involved at all, will be set somewhere between 1969 and 1974. We will see the death of Ford's Indy on-screen. It will be some sort of Big Fish setup.