Indy 5 news 2018

Z dweller

Why would Ford refuse a smaller role, if he likes the script?

He took the part in BR2049, didn't he?

Clearly, the role would have to be mre than just brief bookends.

cdatkins

if Spielberg wants to walk I say let him. While I enjoyed KOTCS, I think Spielberg lost his stomach for IJ films. Let another director have a crack at it.

Silvor

Z dweller said:
Why would Ford refuse a smaller role, if he likes the script?

He took the part in BR2049, didn't he?

Clearly, the role would have to be mre than just brief bookends.
Maybe because he feels some ownership of a character he helped create and loves to play?
He's said many times that Indy is his favorite character, he's even said Indiana Jones is his life's work. (from an EMPIRE Magazine special Indy Diary booklet)
I can see it not being fun to get sidelined in your own movie when it's something you care about and helped create.
I don't really think Ford cared for Deckard in the same way.
But of course the only one who really knows how Ford feels about all this is Ford himself.
One thing's for certain, it's going to be very interesting to learn what in the world Indy 5 ends up being!

Silvor

Z dweller said:
Helped shape, yes. Helped create, no.

We all know he wasn't even the first choice.
Now you're just arguing semantics. I think if you asked Spielberg if Ford helped create Indy he'd no doubt say yes.
Either way, not sure why you got caught up on that part, even if you disagree and only think Ford helped "shape" Indy it doesn't change what I wrote.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
Helped shape, yes. Helped create, no.

We all know he wasn't even the first choice.

It would be more correct to say we all know the exact opposite. He was the frst choice as far as Spielberg was concerned. Lucas resisted because he was concerned about casting Ford in too many of his movies. Tom Selleck was subsequently entertained, then the Beards went back to the first choice when it appeared Magnum P.I. would render him unavailable.

Udvarnoky

I've noticed that the new release date has led people to conclude that Kasdan was hired for a page one rewrite rather than a polish. It's totally possible, but there's another possibility, which is that the need for a new writer prompted Spielberg to move a different project up on his schedule. Meaning, INDY 5 might not actually need two years' worth of additional development, but a delay of any kind caused Spielberg to swap it with something that's closer to camera ready.

A lot could suddenly change once there's a satisfactory script. Spielberg is just as known for pushing things up the schedule as down it when the stars align.

Z dweller

Silvor said:
Now you're just arguing semantics. I think if you asked Spielberg if Ford helped create Indy he'd no doubt say yes.
In your opinion.
Silvor said:
Either way, not sure why you got caught up on that part, even if you disagree and only think Ford helped "shape" Indy it doesn't change what I wrote.
Above anything else, Ford is a professional actor and a businessman.
He does not get emotionally attached to characters, he said so in countless interviews.
For him, shooting Indy is just "another day at the office".

And even if you believe he has feelings of ownership towards Indy, he ought be all for helping shape the transition to a new actor, which he know is going to happen anyway.

Joe Brody

Walecs said:
This is ridiculous.

Raiders112390 said:

Exactly. More-of-the-same crap execution out of Lucasfilm.

Oh, and Marvel? In the same announcement, they get their release date moved UP six months (likely for Black Panther 2).

Mark my words, some day there is going to be a Harvard Business School class titled: Incompetence and Excellence, a comparative study of the early years of Disney's Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios acquisitions.

A one year delay for Indy 5 at this late stage is inexcusable given Ford's age.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
It would be more correct to say we all know the exact opposite. He was the frst choice as far as Spielberg was concerned. Lucas resisted because he was concerned about casting Ford in too many of his movies. Tom Selleck was subsequently entertained, then the Beards went back to the first choice when it appeared Magnum P.I. would render him unavailable.
Indy is Lucas' baby, not Spielberg's.
He's the one who conceived the character, and Ford was not his first choice.

If Selleck had made himself available, he'd have got the part. End of.

Last edited:

Z dweller

Joe Brody said:
Look on the bright side: it increases the chances of Kennedy not being around when they eventually shoot. ;)

TheFedora

I wonder if the delay with the script is obviously because they are still trying to figure out how to make the story work around Ford's age.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
That Spielberg and Ford are a package deal is a good point, and the main reason I'm not quite convinced they are indeed transitioning away from the approach where Ford gets full screentime. Time will tell of course, but I feel like Spielberg would walk in that scenario, yet he supposedly remains committed.

It comes back to what I've been saying about either doing Indy 5 straight-up or going full reboot. This hybrid approach the fans keep touting - and that Spielberg has never once hinted toward - is poison. I don't think Ford is going to be interested in playing second banana, and I don't think Spielberg is going to be interested without Ford. If he's interested at all.
Do not think Spielberg or Ford will agree to do this UNLESS both are involved & Ford is the lead actor like in the other 4 films. If Disney want to mess Spielberg around he will just walk away.

I think for Disney this latest delay is the last piece of rope they are willing to extend for a Ford Spielberg Indy 5. If Spielberg cannot get a filmable script this time then the project is finished so no pressure on Kasdan!

Walecs

Joe Brody said:
Exactly. More-of-the-same crap execution out of Lucasfilm.

Oh, and Marvel? In the same announcement, they get their release date moved UP six months (likely for Black Panther 2).

Mark my words, some day there is going to be a Harvard Business School class titled: Incompetence and Excellence, a comparative study of the early years of Disney's Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios acquisitions.

With a class dedicated to EON and the preposterously long gaps between James Bond movies

Joe Brody said:

Exactly. And that's the second delay in a row.

TheFirebird1

hismasterplan said:
Gross. I feel like I don't care anymore.
I get what you're saying. At this point, I'm annoyed that Disney has literally done nothing with the franchise for six years now. When Star Wars was picked up, there was an immediate line of comics, toys, books, movies, etc. And with Indy? The guy's struggling to get a fixed release date! Literally no merchandise has come out, or promotion, or anything. As discussed previously, the film seems like it's starting to rely on nostalgia alone (which, as seen with Blade Runner 2049 and Solo, is less reliable than ever).
Think about it. Franchises like the MCU (a true powerhouse) have a constant stream of merchandise and hype before a movie. That's dying for Star Wars, and with Indy it hasn't even been addressed yet.
I think some of the problems with the whole thing could simply be fixed with adequate promotion.

Z dweller

Not surprisingly, all the news outlets are now emphasizing that Ford will be 79 by the time the movie hits theaters.
Not exactly great from a marketing standpoint, is it?

At this stage, assuming Ford does end up being part of it, I believe the only way Disney can generate any meaningful interest for the project from younger audiences is by featuring a rising star along for the ride.

And a sidekick may not be enough, I suspect.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
Maybe a black sidekick
That's a great idea! Maybe Indy 5 could feature an actor like Idris Elba if part of the film is set in post-colonial Africa or the Caribbean (i.e. Jamaica). We've never seen Indy in those areas before, and Idris has played characters who thrived in those exotic locales. As a plus, he's worked for Marvel, so Disney already has him on speed dial.
idris-elba-luther-thor-dark-tower-720x720.jpg

Or hey, maybe they could get John Boyega to play one of Indy's many illegitimate children and end the saga with him taking up the hat! He's worked with Harrison before, and the two have great chemistry.
CYTYG0tUQAAdSH8.jpg

As a bonus, he has his own costume ready!
3b9d37fb82748682b84e163928018f83.jpg

On a side note, why the vehement dislike of anything nonwhite, man? It's fine to not like "PC culture", but there's a difference between that and making jabs at minorities in every other post. There are people who don't look or live exactly like us, and that's OK, as long as they aren't hurting anybody.

Last edited: