Indy 5 news 2018

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
It won't be vaporware unless if they announce that the film has no set release date at this time.
Maybe so, but this latest delay has already delivered a major marketing blow to the project, with all media outlets rushing to point out that Ford will be 79 by the time the movie hits theaters.

I really don't see why younger audiences would want to watch an Old Indy adventure in 2021, unless it also features a younger actor they can relate to starring alongside Ford.

TheFirebird1 said:
This new avatar really speaks to me, for some reason.
Is that supposed to be Indy? Doesn't look like him at all.

Last edited:

Walecs

Face_Palm said:
Does anybody know why this is taking 5+ years? Is it because Spielberg and Fords schedules have to sync up with the Lucasfilm crew who is busy filming all of these Star Wars movies back to back? To my knowledge Lucasfilm has never filmed a SW and Indy film at the same time. They use the same crew for all of their films correct?

Fixed that for you.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Half the fun is getting there, though. ;)

And in this case, it may prove to be a lot more than half for a lot of us here, based on our preferences...

In fact, it may embolden some. :p

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Maybe so, but this latest delay has already delivered a major marketing blow to the project, with all media outlets rushing to point out that Ford will be 79 by the time the movie hits theaters.
Which media outlets are you referring to? I'll be the first to admit that his age might seem daunting, but from a marketing perspective you could spin it as Harrison's last time as the character before setting up a new star to take the role.
Z dweller said:
I really don't see why younger audiences would want to watch an Old Indy adventure in 2021, unless it also features a younger actor they can relate to starring alongside Ford.
Granted, we're inevitably going to disagree on this, but some of the marketing appeal comes from this being Ford's last adventure (and perhaps the last Indy flick if they keep this schedule). Besides, the guy does have marketing appeal across generations, and he's still a bankable star with a relatively powerful fanbase.
Z dweller said:
Is that supposed to be Indy? Doesn't look like him at all.
Hey, don't judge! :mad:. Talk to the guys at Dark Horse if you don't like my avatar. They're the one's who (presumably) drew it, though it could be from Marvel.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Half the fun is getting there, though. ;)

And in this case, it may prove to be a lot more than half for a lot of us here, based on our preferences...

And, in theory, I agree, though the reading of industry tea leaves leaves me pretty cold.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Which media outlets are you referring to?
Practically everyone who reported it online.
Granted, we're inevitably going to disagree on this, but some of the marketing appeal comes from this being Ford's last adventure (and perhaps the last Indy flick if they keep this schedule). Besides, the guy does have marketing appeal across generations, and he's still a bankable star with a relatively powerful fanbase.
Even if that were true, Indy 5 with both Spielberg and Ford on board ain't gonna be cheap to make. The more Disney have to spend for marketing on top of that, the more difficult it becomes to turn a big profit.
KOTCS already used up a big chunk of goodwill, even amongst older fans.
This time it's different, and much, much harder.
Hey, don't judge! :mad:. Talk to the guys at Dark Horse if you don't like my avatar. They're the one's who (presumably) drew it, though it could be from Marvel.
Easy, tiger. :p
It wasn't aimed at you, plus "de gustibus non disputandum est".

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Even if that were true, Indy 5 with both Spielberg and Ford on board ain't gonna be cheap to make. The more Disney have to spend for marketing on top of that, the more difficult it becomes to turn a big profit.
KOTCS already used up a big chunk of goodwill, even amongst older fans.
If this is going to be a typical Indy flick, then yes, it's going to cost at least 100 million plus to make it, especially considering that both Ford and Spielberg charge high fees for their talents (I mean, look at Steven, the guy's a billionaire). Marketing, of course, will also be costly, considering the amount of money that studios put into promotion today, with even "small" films placing dozens of ads over social media, TV, and other mediums. But on the other hand, Indy belongs to the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm juggernaut, which bar Solo, has been pumping out 1 billion plus box office hauls per film. Sure, KotCS might've taken away goodwill, but people are still interested in seeing another film with Indy, and casual audiences and hardcore fans are willing to pay up come July 2021.
Z dweller said:
Easy, tiger. :p
It wasn't aimed at you, plus "de gustibus non disputandum est".
I know, I know :D (y). Just having a bit of fun, and yes, de gustibus non disputandum est, as the Romans would say.
In fact, that saying might sum up all of our arguments over Indy 5.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
If this is going to be a typical Indy flick, then yes, it's going to cost at least 100 million plus to make it
KOTCS cost nearly $200 mil, and that was over ten years ago.
TheFirebird1 said:
Indy belongs to the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm juggernaut, which bar Solo, has been pumping out 1 billion plus box office hauls per film.
Look at the SW trend. The trend is your friend.
TheFirebird1 said:
Sure, KotCS might've taken away goodwill, but people are still interested in seeing another film with Indy, and casual audiences and hardcore fans are willing to pay up come July 2021.
Oh yeah?

iur

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:

They say the production budget ended up at $185 million. It should be noted though that Spielberg went overbudget on CRYSTAL SKULL - a rarity for him - and paid a premium to shoot the movie entirely in the U.S. when George could have gotten better deals on overseas soundstages.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spielberg tightens his belt on this one. Goodness knows all that extra money didn't elevate the quality of the last movie any.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:

Look at the SW trend. The trend is your friend.
SW has also been overpopulated with a series of random and poorly timed films over the past few years. Indy hasn't. As I said before, there's no doubt that the film will cost a lot--probably even more than KotCS--but there's no doubt that it could make money, given the right promotional strategies combined with good reviews.
Z dweller said:
I sure do. Why don't you just...
tumblr_msyn9s128H1s78xdco1_500.gif

Now THAT'S a dead franchise if I ever saw one.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
SW has also been overpopulated with a series of random and poorly timed films over the past few years. Indy hasn't. As I said before, there's no doubt that the film will cost a lot--probably even more than KotCS--but there's no doubt that it could make money, given the right promotional strategies combined with good reviews.
The SW fan base is vastly bigger though.
And there was virtually no hiatus in the production of toys/books/games etc. to keep the interest alive.

Marketing costs money, and they'll need to spend a hell of a lot of it to generate interest in Indy 5, if the only draw is Ford.

UNLESS, they bring in a young co-star playing Indy in flashback scenes.
Then there's a chance it could really be big, and pave the way for future prequels.
Remember...

lorax-unless.jpg

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
The SW fan base is vastly bigger though.
And there was virtually no hiatus in the production of toys/books/games etc. to keep the interest alive.

Marketing costs money, and they'll need to spend a hell of a lot of it to generate interest in Indy 5, if the only draw is Ford.
giphy.gif

Like I said before, they're going to have to market it extensively--that's definitely true, especially since we haven't seen an Indy flick in a decade. But Ford and Spielberg's films usually net a profit, and the release date (mid-summer) is good for adventure films/action movies of Indy's caliber.

Z dweller said:
UNLESS, they bring in a young co-star playing Indy in flashback scenes.
Then there's a chance it could really be big, and pave the way for future prequels.
Is there a chance? Definitely.
But let's look at the trends (because the trends are our friends, remember?).
Last time there was a recast at Disney for a beloved character portrayed by HF, it didn't do so well. In fact, it didn't do well at all. Depending on who they pick for the role, it could hurt the film rather than help it.
Z dweller said:
Remember...

lorax-unless.jpg
motivational-quotes-dr-seuss-quote-sign-vinyl-decal-sticker-wall-lettering-family-its-not-about.jpg

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Ford ... used to net a profit
Amended for you.
TheFirebird1 said:
Last time there was a recast at Disney for a beloved character portrayed by HF, it didn't do so well. In fact, it didn't do well at all.
What we are discussing here is Ford and a younger actor co-starring, taking turns at wearing the fedora in the past and "present".
Very different concept.
TheFirebird1 said:
Depending on who they pick for the role, it could hurt the film rather than help it.
I would argue that the one who's taking on the biggest risk here is Ford himself.
He certainly does not want go out with a whimper, or a dive (hat tip to Horsie :hat: ).
The knives are drawn, and there'll be no shortage of flak if the movie is subpar and/or doesn't make money.

I would not be surprised if it turned our that it was Ford who caused the delay by rejecting Koepp's script.
He needs a great story, and he knows it.

He's also a shrewd businessman who'd rather get a fatter profit-sharing check by swallowing his pride and accepting that these days he's not the mega-star he used to be, if he thought a well chosen young co-star might help the movie make more $$$

Silvor

Z dweller said:
He's also a shrewd businessman who'd rather get a fatter profit-sharing check by swallowing his pride and accepting that these days he's not the mega-star he used to be, if he thought a well chosen young co-star might help the movie make more $$$
You're certainly entitled to think this is the case but it's no more than your opinion on the matter, no matter how much you state is as fact. Is it really so hard to type "I think" before a sentence?

My take is he's extremely rich at this point and probably doesn't need more money.
When you've got hundreds upon hundreds or even maybe half a billion or more in the bank, money probably isn't as big of a draw as it used to.
He's even said that Indy 5 is not about the cash and he's doing it because he enjoys making Indy movies and working with Spielberg so much.

Z dweller

Silvor said:
You're certainly entitled to think this is the case but it's no more than your opinion on the matter, no matter how much you state is as fact. Is it really so hard to type "I think" before a sentence?

My take is he's extremely rich at this point and probably doesn't need more money.
When you've got hundreds upon hundreds or even maybe half a billion or more in the bank, money probably isn't as big of a draw as it used to.
He's even said that Indy 5 is not about the cash and he's doing it because he enjoys making Indy movies and working with Spielberg so much.
For some reason, you chose to focus on the second part of my statement, and ignore the first. Let's try again.
Z dweller said:
I would argue that the one who's taking on the biggest risk here is Ford himself.
He certainly does not want go out with a whimper, or a dive (hat tip to Horsie :hat: ).
The knives are drawn, and there'll be no shortage of flak if the movie is subpar and/or doesn't make money.

I would not be surprised if it turned our that it was Ford who caused the delay by rejecting Koepp's script.
In other words, I know that there's a lot at stake here for Ford: the whole Indy legacy and future - not just the money.

Is it really so hard to read a whole post, before replying? :rolleyes:

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Amended for you.

What we are discussing here is Ford and a younger actor co-starring, taking turns at wearing the fedora in the past and "present".
Very different concept.
Call a spade a spade, my friend. We all know that this is Ford's last Indy movie (for better or worse), and the success of a film with alternating storylines (one with Ford and the other with a new actor) will depend on how good the new actor is. If he isn't good, the movie will tank.

Z dweller said:

Granted, Ford might view this as his own The Shootist (in terms of a final ride), and he definitely would need an iconic script to top Blade Runner 2049 (which we can both agree was a fantastic film), but that doesn't mean he hasn't made his own films of...decidedly lesser quality before..
tenor.gif

Here's what we need to remember at the end of the day, though. No matter what, the two of us are probably going to hold drastically different views on Indy 5, and are probably going to slip back to the same arguments ad infinitum till July 10th, 2021. And there's really no point to that.
giphy.gif

And hey, I'll give you this--a lot of your ideas would work perfectly in Indy 5. Especially alternating storylines. But some wouldn't, in my opinion, and that's probably how it's going to be.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Call a spade a spade, my friend. We all know that this is Ford's last Indy movie (for better or worse), and the success of a film with alternating storylines (one with Ford and the other with a new actor) will depend on how good the new actor is. If he isn't good, the movie will tank.
There's plenty of good actors out there. Where's the problem?
TheFirebird1 said:
And hey, I'll give you this--a lot of your ideas would work perfectly in Indy 5. Especially alternating storylines. But some wouldn't, in my opinion, and that's probably how it's going to be.
Fair enough.
Just of curiosity, which other ideas that I put forward for Indy 5 do you not like?

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
There's plenty of good actors out there. Where's the problem?
A good actor doesn't equal a good performance, or a good box office run for that matter. I think Alden Ehrenreich is a fantastic performer (and a fantastic Han), but the movie still didn't do well.
Z dweller said:
Fair enough.
Just of curiosity, which other ideas that I put forward for Indy 5 do you not like?
My view is that Indy 5--if they go the route of alternating storylines--should focus more on Ford, with the new actor receiving a fair amount, though slightly less than Ford's, of screentime. From your posts, it seems that you think the opposite (spend most of the time on new guy, with 40 minutes of Ford).