Indy 5 news 2018

Are we even sure Call of the Wild will be a live action movie? That said it's very different from Indy 5, (and the main protagonist is indeed the dog) so I don't know how well one can judge anything.

It is a bummer that we have to wait for three more years, I would like to see one more Ford helmed Indy movie. Though I won't mind if they introduce a younger actor in flashbacks who could take over the role and engage younger audinces.

Dr.Jonesy

Face_Palm said:
Why because The Last Jedi was a critically acclaimed film, second biggest Star Wars box office film, biggest film of 2017?

Critics really overlooked a lot of issues they had to have noticed as experienced film critics. They were lenient on glaring issues that would've skewered a lesser known film.

And the film did well - but it lost a ton of revenue from a lack of repeat viewings and bad word of mouth. Box office was 63% of the previous film. That's not a drop that investors want to see.

Face_Palm said:
well reviewed by actual verified audience ratings sites?

Everything other than CinemaScore says otherwise. It's tanked.

RottenTomatoes? Awful score of 46% from nearly 200,000 people.
IMDB? Slowly declining 7.2 score with majority of written reviews being below 6 stars. For reference, KOTCS had this score 7 months out.
MetaCritic? 4.5/10 from nearly 7,257 people.
Blu Ray/DVD sales of the film are 56% less than for the previous film.
Merchandise sales are now down since the film's release.

Yeah. It's gone over like gangbusters.

Even freaking Amazon's DVD/Blu Ray reviews have it at a glorious acclaimed score of 3.5 with an equal number of 1 star reviews as there are 5 star reviews. That's not good.

Face_Palm said:
Star Wars was in “dire straights” during 1999-2005.

Yet somehow the films remained consistent at the box office and the merchandise was selling, the culture was much more active (even if people were unhappy, they still cared about SW) and they didn't have a flop on their hands. And the head honcho wasn't in danger of losing their job - like Kathleen Kennedy likely is.

Last edited:

Face_Melt

Dr.Jonesy said:
Critics really overlooked a lot of issues they had to have noticed as experienced film critics. They were lenient on glaring issues that would've skewered a lesser known film.

And the film did well - but it lost a ton of revenue from a lack of repeat viewings and bad word of mouth. Box office was 63% of the previous film. That's not a drop that investors want to see.

Everything other than CinemaScore says otherwise. It's tanked.

RottenTomatoes? Awful score of 46% from nearly 200,000 people.
IMDB? Slowly declining 7.2 score with majority of written reviews being below 6 stars. For reference, KOTCS had this score 7 months out.
MetaCritic? 4.5/10 from nearly 7,257 people.
Blu Ray/DVD sales of the film are 56% less than for the previous film.
Merchandise sales are now down since the film's release.

Yeah. It's gone over like gangbusters.

Even freaking Amazon's DVD/Blu Ray reviews have it at a glorious acclaimed score of 3.5 with an equal number of 1 star reviews as there are 5 star reviews. That's not good.

Yet somehow the films remained consistent at the box office and the merchandise was selling, the culture was much more active (even if people were unhappy, they still cared about SW) and they didn't have a flop on their hands. And the head honcho wasn't in danger of losing their job - like Kathleen Kennedy likely is.

You can’t point towards the monster of a success the Force Awakens was and say the last Jedi was a failure because it didn’t hit those numbers. NOBODY expected it to hit Force Awakens numbers - especially since the biggest Star (Harrison Ford) and the big return of the saga novelties were removed.

Again, second biggest Star Wars movie, biggest film of 2017, 91% critic approval rating and A from audiences. Those sites you mentioned are not verified audience rating sites. This video helps explain that: https://youtu.be/qVYwqepVCY0

TheFirebird1

Silvor said:
Not too sure of that, I think he's playing an older prospector in this, not exactly someone who's as active as Indy would be. You can't just take any Ford movie and judge hys physical abilities, they're completely different beasts.

Also, apparently it's based on a book where the story is seen trough the eyes of a dog and a special effects company is supposed to be heavily involved so it's very likely Ford only has a bit part and the main character is a dog with the help of some cgi.
Yes, The Call of the Wild is notable for being a story told through the eyes of a dog, but previous adaptations of it (including the Charlton Heston version) focused more on the relationship between Thornton (the prospector Harrison is rumored to play) and Buck (the dog that he adopts), and it is certainly not a bit part. In fact, Thornton is undoubtedly one of the biggest characters in the book.
Furthermore, the prospector in the book does get a few action scenes himself, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say we wouldn't be able to judge his physical abilities. If they play it like the novel, he'll have at least one or two action sequences.
youngindygirl said:
Are we even sure Call of the Wild will be a live action movie? That said it's very different from Indy 5, (and the main protagonist is indeed the dog) so I don't know how well one can judge anything.
To answer your first question, it indeed is going to be a live action movie a la the 2016 adaptation of The Jungle Book. And as I told Silvor above, even if they make it a story centered more on Buck, Thornton is still an important and adventurous character, so I'm betting we could judge it pretty well.
Face_Palm said:
Again, second biggest Star Wars movie, biggest film of 2017, 91% critic approval rating and A from audiences. Those sites you mentioned are not verified audience rating sites. This video helps explain that: https://youtu.be/qVYwqepVCY0
I just wanted to address this, especially with the CinemaScore rating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CinemaScore usually asks people about their opinions right after they exit the theater, before a full opinion could develop yet. I'm going to be honest, once I left the theater I thought that TLJ was OK. After five minutes I realized how bad it was.
Granted, sites like Rotten Tomatoes are sometimes inaccurate, especially when racist trolls flooded the boards, but after their reviews were removed, the score for TLJ remained the same. I think it's a good site for people to explain their honest reactions rather than after getting asked as they leave the theater. And again, as Dr. Jonesy noted:
Dr.Jonesy said:

Completely agreed with this statement. The film, although bolstered by fantastic performances (including those of Adam Driver and Kelly Marie Tran, who although I didn't like her character, thought she did a great job), was filled to the brim with terrible humor, poor dialogue and plot, and an absolute lack of direction. The only two good things about it are that it sometimes looks pretty and that it has actors who can act. And look at the word of mouth with the film. Everyone I saw it with had a tepid opinion of it, and that spread until pretty much everybody I knew thought the film was at best mediocre and at worst excruciatingly boring.
And finally, look at merchandise sales above all else. There's only one franchise winning here-and that's Marvel. Star Wars has, since The Last Jedi been declining with sales of toys, games, etc.
Hopefully with Episode 9 they can rectify that.

Last edited:

Face_Melt

TheFirebird1 said:
Yes, The Call of the Wild is notable for being a story told through the eyes of a dog, but previous adaptations of it (including the Charlton Heston version) focused more on the relationship between Thornton (the prospector Harrison is rumored to play) and Buck (the dog that he adopts), and it is certainly not a bit part. In fact, Thornton is undoubtedly one of the biggest characters in the book.
Furthermore, the prospector in the book does get a few action scenes himself, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say we wouldn't be able to judge his physical abilities. If they play it like the novel, he'll have at least one or two action sequences.

Yeah, he will have the main lead (main human lead) of the film and it will be a physically demanding role for sure.

Honestly every time someone ?tests? Harrison?s physical ability on screen he always does well. People have been saying ?Harrison is too old? since he was announced for Air Force One. It?s all just noise. He walks, runs, throws punches, flies planes with ease. If Indy 5 was supposed to start filming April 2019 then we can assume an April 2020 start date for Indy 5 which is really only 20 months away. He will be fine! It?s not the years, it?s the mialege ;)

TheFirebird1

Face_Palm said:
Yeah, he will have the main lead (main human lead) of the film and it will be a physically demanding role for sure.

Honestly every time someone ?tests? Harrison?s physical ability on screen he always does well. People have been saying ?Harrison is too old? since he was announced for Air Force One. It?s all just noise. He walks, runs, throws punches, flies planes with ease. If Indy 5 was supposed to start filming April 2019 then we can assume an April 2020 start date for Indy 5 which is really only 20 months away. He will be fine! It?s not the years, it?s the mialege ;)
Completely agreed with you! I think people don't cut Harrison enough slack. He's in great shape, and definitely can handle action performances (just look at some of his work in BR2049). It is true, really, that it's not the years, it's the mileage (y).

Udvarnoky

Everybody strap in for three years of bickering about THE LAST JEDI while we wait for Spielberg to walk away from this project.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
Everybody strap in for three years of bickering about THE LAST JEDI while we wait for Spielberg to walk away from this project.
Hey, on the bright side, we'll be bickering about Episode 9, too ;).

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Is that really what you expect will happen?

Up until recently, even right after the last postponement, you seemed confident in Spielberg's commitment to the project.
What changed?

Udvarnoky

I think you'll find I have been fairly skeptical of Spielberg's commitment before and after the postponement. Is there a specific quote you want to look at?

Z dweller

If he does walk away, how would you expect him to explain it?

Has he actually ever done it before, after a movie was announced and a release date (or three) scheduled? Genuine question, just in case you or anyone else knows. I can't be bothered to look it up myself. :p

Udvarnoky

Spielberg exits projects all the time. ROBOPOCALYPSE most definitely had a release date when Spielberg "postponed" it. And the last thing he said about that project, by the way, was that he was still committed to it. His handoff to Michael Bay was explained with him simply saying he didn't have time.

As for how it would go down...I expect it will be just like any other announcement related to this project: unceremonious.

Last edited:

Toht's Arm

Dr.Jonesy said:
Box office was 63% of the previous film.

Sidenote: proportionally, that's roughly the same box office drop that occurred when you compare Star Wars to Empire, and Phantom Menace to Attack of the Clones.

TheFirebird1

https://www.google.com/amp/www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/990335-exclusive-indiana-jones-5-will-return-to-global-scope-says-frank-marshall/amp
Finally some relevant news, and at least we now know the direction that the film will be taking. But besides that, it's just ambivalence all around. There's a writer's room which isn't exactly a writer's room, George's status has been thrown into question again, and it seems that Kennedy might start taking more interest in the project--or not.
At least we know the project's head is still above water, at least for now.
But watch for that to change.

IndyBuff

The idea that Kathleen Kennedy could be focusing more on Indy is enough reason for me to abandon hope.

Udvarnoky

Well, good news about the plans to get off American soil this time, but the idea of a "writers room" is for sure disturbing. I know most Disney tentpoles are condemned to the made-by-committee approach that ensures they'll be safe and oatmeal-y, but I was rather hoping the Spielberg factor was enough to spare Indy the usual micro-managing. Of course, it remains to be seen how much of a factor Spielberg ends up really being.

IndyBuff said:
The idea that Kathleen Kennedy could be focusing more on Indy is enough reason for me to abandon hope.

Same here. I was hoping that after the blatant commercial failure of Solo and after having butchered the new SW saga she would just peacefully stop harming the creative process behind these stories. Perhaps with Steven Spielberg there might still be hope...

What seems pretty much clear, however, is that they'll be "very respectful of [...] Harrison?s character". Hmm, this could mean that he'll have a minor role, offering a sort of a narrative frame within which flashback adventures take place? It makes me think of the Mystery of the Blues, and gosh I'd love it to be that good!

DirkPitt

Doctor Jones'89 said:
What seems pretty much clear, however, is that they'll be "very respectful of [...] Harrison?s character". Hmm, this could mean that he'll have a minor role, offering a sort of a narrative frame within which flashback adventures take place? It makes me think of the Mystery of the Blues, and gosh I'd love it to be that good!

This is what really bothers me. Before "The Force Awakens" she said something similar about "Star Wars" characters:
"The main thing is to protect these characters, make sure that they still continue to live in the way you created them..." and after that they
killed Han Solo - yes, I know it was Harrison's idea, but still
and
butchered the character of Luke Skywalker
I don't want the same treatement to Indy.

DirkPitt said:
This is what really bothers me. Before "The Force Awakens" she said something similar about "Star Wars" characters:
"The main thing is to protect these characters, make sure that they still continue to live in the way you created them..." and after that they
killed Han Solo - yes, I know it was Harrison's idea, but still
and
butchered the character of Luke Skywalker
I don't want the same treatement to Indy.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. At this point, after the lack of success of Solo and the downfall of the new SW saga in the fan base (I personally won't see Solo or any of the new movies they're puking up), one would hope that Kennedy would have learnt to take in some criticism, and perhaps step aside...

I loved the energetic and lighthearted action of Ready Player One, and if Spielberg could give the same fresh input to the new Indy, it would be very watchable indeed.

I have lost hope for SW, but Indy has been so influential to me and I'd love to see another good Indy movie soon.

IndyForever

IndyBuff said:
She got a new 3 year contract @ Lucasfilm from Disney (n) which means she will still be around if Indy 5 ever gets made along with the franchise destroying team of non geniuses @ the LFL story telling group :sick: :dead: (n)

At this stage Indy 5 is vapourware as Spielberg films West Side Story next summer so he is not exactly waiting to go forward on Indy 5 anymore :rolleyes: The new script is probably just a smokescreen so in 2-3 years they can say its not happening anymore. I expect that announcement to come before a production start date with Harrison :eek:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...s-lucasfilm-deal-extended-three-years-1147653

https://www.empireonline.com/people/steven-spielberg/ansel-elgort-will-west-side-story-tony/