Are you addicted to collecting?

deckard24

I know this gets thrown around a lot and made fun of, but how many of you actually think you might have an addiction to collecting? I'm referring to you literally going to extremes to get that prized figure, poster, jacket, fedora, gas mask bag, book, prop, etc.. How many of you have spent money you really shouldn't have on a particular item or items. Do your collecting habits bother or put off others, such as your spouses, friends, and family members?

I'm just curious because I know I've spent money before I shouldn't have, have driven lengths to find an item, and annoyed, amused, or weirded others out with my collecting habits. So in saying that, I guess I have a bit of a habit myself!

What about you guys? Also, do you plan on buying everything you can possibly get your hands on that is Indy related in the next few months, or just a few select pieces?

metalinvader

Very much so.There are times when I spend my money on a figure,poster,store display,etc and then I look in my wallet afterwards and think to myself...'How the hell am I going to pay my bills now!?"

While,I don't plan on getting everything in the upcoming months,I will probably try to get most of it that is within my budget...

Heh,Who am I kidding..I've never cared about my budget before...:p

deckard24

metalinvader said:
Very much so.There are times when I spend my money on a figure,poster,store display,etc and then I look in my wallet afterwards and think to myself...'How the hell am I going to pay my bills now!?"

While,I don't plan on getting everything in the upcoming months,I will probably try to get most of it that is within my budget...

Heh,Who am I kidding..I've never cared about my budget before...:p
Good of you to step forward man! :hat: I know there are a lot more of us out there! LOL

I'm not planning on buying everything little thing either, but I'm honestly a bit nervous about going to the store (ie. Target) to get a few things, and finding excuses to wander over to the toy aisles. This is how it all starts, and slowly but surely my at home office/studio starts filling up little by little with stuff.

metalinvader

deckard24 said:
Good of you to step forward man! :hat: I know there are a lot more of us out there! LOL

I'm not planning on buying everything little thing either, but I'm honestly a bit nervous about going to the store (ie. Target) to get a few things, and finding excuses to wander over to the toy aisles. This is how it all starts, and slowly but surely my at home office/studio starts filling up little by little with stuff.

Well,I do plan on buying all of the Hasbro Items.Indy action figures are my drug of choice..haha..The black sleep of Kali has got NOTHING on teh addiction for Indy toys!
What I need to step out of the box and look at for a second is the food items.Do I really need to save a M&Ms wrapper or a Dr.Peppers bottle..If so..Everytime I induldge on one of these food items do I have to save every single wrapper or bottle??I've got about 20 wrappers from the Young Indy cards I purchased about 12 years ago..Don't ask why because I really can't answer!

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Now my friend this is a tricky one. I've found myself asking the same question many times. Yes, I've gone to extremes. Yes, some didn't worth it. Some make you feel happy, some make you wonder why you did it in the first place. But that's part of being a collector. The excitment or disappointment you get from obtaining an item. Of course nobody will never understand your passion or share your joy but it's something you do for yourself. You don't need anyone's approval.

Now, when you deprive yourself from other more vital things in order to get the one item that will enrich your collection then you, me and everyone has a serious problem. Collecting shouldn't be done for the sake of collecting but because it really offers something and because it makes us feel good. Besides, there are many other, more hazzardous, ways to spent your time and money, like smoking, taking drugs or joining a stupid gang/team/group of people. Instead of all that I prefer collecting but still it has to be done properly.

deckard24

metalinvader said:
Well,I do plan on buying all of the Hasbro Items.Indy action figures are my drug of choice..haha..The black sleep of Kali has got NOTHING on teh addiction for Indy toys!
What I need to step out of the box and look at for a second is the food items.Do I really need to save a M&Ms wrapper or a Dr.Peppers bottle..If so..Everytime I induldge on one of these food items do I have to save every single wrapper or bottle??I've got about 20 wrappers from the Young Indy cards I purchased about 12 years ago..Don't ask why because I really can't answer!
Yeah for me ,the food items are where I draw the line! How strong willed of me, right? LOL

I guess I'm just excited to have stuff I never got as a kid, like a streets of Cairo Indy, a ToD or LC Indy, a really good 12" Indy that's affordable(not like the Toys McCoy version), and a motorcyclew w/ side car complete with a Henry Jones Sr....stuff like that. T-shirts and other sceondary collectibles I've never been into, except when I was a kid. My goal I guess is to not go bat**** and buy everything, just a few specific items that I always dreamed of as a kid, but never saw come to fruition.:D

deckard24

Sakis said:
Now my friend this is a tricky one. I've found myself asking the same question many times. Yes, I've gone to extremes. Yes, some didn't worth it. Some make you feel happy, some make you wonder why you did it in the first place. But that's part of being a collector. The excitment or disappointment you get from obtaining an item. Of course nobody will never understand your passion or share your joy but it's something you do for yourself. You don't need anyone's approval.

Now, when you deprive yourself from other more vital things in order to get the one item that will enrich your collection then you, me and everyone has a serious problem. Collecting shouldn't be done for the sake of collecting but because it really offers something and because it makes us feel good. Besides, there are many other, more hazzardous, ways to spent your time and money, like smoking, taking drugs or joining a stupid gang/team/group of people. Instead of all that I prefer collecting but still it has to be done properly.
Good points, but it's true anything done in excess can lead to trouble! The stuff I've only really gone nuts over has been Indy, Star Wars, and LotR. I have a ton of that stuff, especially SW(waaaayyyy toooo much!), which is why I wish we had a marketplace section at the Raven. If I could, I'd probabaly sell the whole lot of SW stuff, except for a few select items!

Thanks for your honesty Sakis!:hat:

Katarn07

Well, my dad and I have limited ourselves to mainly action figures and nothing else really. But look at how many figures there are. I myself have drawn the line on which figures I buy since TPM line ended, but my dad gets pretty much every figure still. We drew the line on vehicles when I stopped playing with the toys and only get select ones.

Deckard

To answer your question in short, Yes.

I spent at least $800 this week on Indy related product, none of it was even anything officialy licensed (dreads the coming of may). :sick:

deckard24 said:
I'm referring to you literally going to extremes to get that prized figure, poster, jacket, fedora, gas mask bag, book, prop, etc..

I've not gone to extremes really. I've spent a bit more then I might have wanted, but I've got the money to spend so I'm not too worried.

How many of you have spent money you really shouldn't have on a particular item or items.

I have my PayPal account, which I can spend as I want and since it's a different account I don't worry about my bills at all. I have spent money that I probably shouldn't have, like the box of cereal that I got off of eBay a couple of days ago. I didn't really want it, but I got it anyway. Still it was much cheaper then I expected, and it's one of the promo boxes so at least it's different.

Do your collecting habits bother or put off others, such as your spouses, friends, and family members?

I think my wife rolls her eyes at some of the stuff, but it doesn't bother her because like I said it's my spending money and not money to pay the bills.

What about you guys? Also, do you plan on buying everything you can possibly get your hands on that is Indy related in the next few months, or just a few select pieces?

I plan on buying a lot of the figures, at least one of each to keep carded, and maybe more to open and set up. The only problem I have is there's no good place to show them all off. I have one big display case that's over six feet tall and is full and doesn't have but a third of my stuff, if that. I'll need to buy a couple of more cases, but those are expensive.

deckard24

Edward The Head said:
I've not gone to extremes really. I've spent a bit more then I might have wanted, but I've got the money to spend so I'm not too worried.

I have my PayPal account, which I can spend as I want and since it's a different account I don't worry about my bills at all. I have spent money that I probably shouldn't have, like the box of cereal that I got off of eBay a couple of days ago. I didn't really want it, but I got it anyway. Still it was much cheaper then I expected, and it's one of the promo boxes so at least it's different.

I think my wife rolls her eyes at some of the stuff, but it doesn't bother her because like I said it's my spending money and not money to pay the bills.

I plan on buying a lot of the figures, at least one of each to keep carded, and maybe more to open and set up. The only problem I have is there's no good place to show them all off. I have one big display case that's over six feet tall and is full and doesn't have but a third of my stuff, if that. I'll need to buy a couple of more cases, but those are expensive.
Thanks for the input Edward!

I'd love to see some pics of your collection, if you have any to post! Yeah, finding room to display is a hassle when you have a ton of stuff. I've been dying to set up everything at one point, but there's just not enough room. One day I hope!

deckard24 said:
Thanks for the input Edward!

I'd love to see some pics of your collection, if you have any to post! Yeah, finding room to display is a hassle when you have a ton of stuff. I've been dying to set up everything at one point, but there's just not enough room. One day I hope!

I have some around somewhere, but I can never remember where I put them at. I do however have my own page now and when I get the chance I'd like to put up a bunch of photos. I just got the cereal box today and have no place to put it.

Little Indy

I sometimes go to great lengths. I even get my family to help me out. When there are contests or drawings I have my family members enter to increase my odds of winning.
I am presently driving to every Target I can think of to see if the manager will let me have the LEGO Indiana Jones display.
I drove an hour and A half in traffic to speak with Deborah Nadoolman Landis about her thoughts on designing the Indiana Jones costume.
The manager at the local movie theater knows me by first name because I go by once a week to ask if I can have any Indy posters that come out.

I am sure there are more but that's all that comes to mind right now.

Oh and yes sometimes I look back and think man did I really just spend all that money?

IndyFalco

I'll be straight foreward, IM AN ADDICT !!!
Just earlier today I recieved my first Raiders jacket. That goes along with having, the MKVII gas mask bag, The fedora, the whip, the shoes, the 27 x 40 posters, the limited edition ToD photo (currently being sold on starwars.shop.com) the webley revolver,oooooh and the best comes last.......... Harrison Ford's autograph !!!

I will post pics of everything later in the day !!!(y)

deckard24

So I swore I was going to restrain myself from collecting a ton of new Indy stuff, with KotCS on the horizon. Yeah...that's not really working! I've already bought the Vanity Fair mag, the Empire mag, some Vintage toys, the new Disney 7" figure, and I've been on the prowl for some prop replicas, the Todd's standard jacket, and a decent fedora.

I already have a decent vintage collection of loose Kenner and LJN toys, as well as some odds and ends, ie. Disney 10'' Vinyl statue, ToD Vinyl record for kids, RotLA, ToD, and LC novels, 25-30 FAOIJ comics, ToD and LC comic adaptations, and an Indiana Jones licensed fedora from 1989. But just like I knew would happen, I've been bitten by the bug!

I have no willpower at all it seems.(n)

What have you guys bought so far?

Katarn07

deckard24 said:
What have you guys bought so far?

Todd's Jacket and an Akubra Regula Fedora? LOL

The only thing I've decided to even collect nowadays is Battlestar Galactica. I'm getting the 7" figures and any new Hasbro Titanium vehicles they may release. Everything else I'm done with! Except with VOTC SW figures and some of these new Indys.

deckard24

Katarn07 said:
Todd's Jacket and an Akubra Regula Fedora? LOL

The only thing I've decided to even collect nowadays is Battlestar Galactica. I'm getting the 7" figures and any new Hasbro Titanium vehicles they may release. Everything else I'm done with! Except with VOTC SW figures and some of these new Indys.
Are you sure? What happens when you get to Target and walk by the toy aisle, where all the figures and vehicles are on display?;)

What other Indy stuff do you have Katarn?

Katarn07

Mostly vintage stuff. After I deemed that completion "complete," I moved onto customs. The small scale stuff comes from one guy off eBay. The 12" stuff came from a dealer at a toyshow and various eBay members (including the Raven's very own mfisher).

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Katarn07/Indy Collection/

Those are out of date. I have the LEGO Motorcycle set, 7" Disney figure, the other Disney figures, and a nice 12" Jock done by mfisher (definitely better than all the other customs I have; also a lot more expensive :p). I really should update these pictures. I told him I'd do that right after I won that auction!