TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Johan
IndyFan

The Great Flood

How do you explain them finding fossils of sea shells and fish on top of mountains?
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
OldawanKenobi
IndyFan

Which mountains and by whom?
OldawanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Got Pi?
IndyFan

Location: In the middle of a remote South American jungle with nothing but a whip and fedora
Well, finding fish fossils on a mountainside gives absolutely no evidence that the was a "great flood", because, 1. the planet was once covered in water, and 2. fossils take millions of years to form, which is long before the flood ever happened.
Got Pi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Doc Savage
IndyFan

Dr. Carl Baugh fossilized a cheeseburger in 2 hours.

The conditions necessary to fossilize, such as heat and pressure, make much more sense in the light of a catastrophic moment rather than millions of years. It also explains why sharks are found fossilized while giving birth and fragile, gelatinous creatures like jellyfish fossilized before rotting away.

Don't believe everything you're force-fed in high school, boys and girls. They tell us a kiss turning a frog into a prince is fairy tale. Then they tell us that millions of years turning a frog into a prince is science. All sounds the same to me.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Got Pi?
IndyFan

Location: In the middle of a remote South American jungle with nothing but a whip and fedora
Oh, well, I guess that pretty much destroys my second theory. I guess that kind of makes sense now, considering stuff like the lost city of Pompeii. But it is true, however, most fossils do take millions of year to form.
Got Pi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Fossils don't form, rather they created under the right conditions. Sorry I'm a perfectionist...ie "pain in the butt"....when it comes to terms
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
Johan
IndyFan

To add to my theory... in water )or the flood )Carbon will be the first thing to settle. With the build up of carbon it creates extraordinary heat therefore fossilizing whatever it covers...as well as putting the carbon dating system out of whack....I read too!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #8
Tennessee R
IndyFan

IndyJohan,
You are absolutely correct. Carbon Dating is very much 'out of whack' in many cases.

Have you looked into Kent Hovind (A good friend of mine)? He's a creationist, and has lots of good info on C-14 in his videos. ( www.drdino.com )

That last paragraph was great, Doc. Wasn't that Kent Hovind?

Aaron H,
Fossils are created by minerals replacing the object which is being fossilized, therefore causing them to turn to stone, correct?

Last edited by Tennessee R : 06-29-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Tennessee R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
OldawanKenobi
IndyFan

Fossils are created by minerals replacing the object which is being fossilized, therefore causing them to turn to stone, correct?

That was always my belief,too.If that is the case,then carbon dating would not work at all and we would use another method to date the artifact.

How do you explain them finding fossils of sea shells and fish on top of mountains?

Do we know that the mountain was always a mountain?Geological forces acting over time may have changed that land mass from its original form.Granted,it doesn't seem likely that it would have changed much in 6,000 years,but it may not have always been a mountain,either.I'm just wondering if whoever found those items did any research on that.

Last edited by OldawanKenobi : 06-29-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Savage
Dr. Carl Baugh fossilized a cheeseburger in 2 hours...

Do you have a picture of it.. I would very much like to see it!
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #11
Doc Savage
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by 007
Do you have a picture of it.. I would very much like to see it!

I'll definitely look into that, 007. I saw one when I watched his program, I believe, and he usually keeps very good record of his experiments...I actually think his "petrified cheeseburger" is standard fare at his museum in Glenn Rose, TX. All it required, if memory serves, was a container, a plunger, a heat source, and, of course, a cheeseburger.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 PM   #12
Doc Savage
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee R
That last paragraph was great, Doc. Wasn't that Kent Hovind?

Good eye, Tennessee! That man's particular approach to creation science has completely revolutionized my way of thinking. Anyone with an open mind and a penchant for bucking the system should visit www.drdino.com.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
Tennessee R
IndyFan

Doc, Thanks, but I was actually looking out of both eyes, when I spotted it.
I think you have to edit that web address without the period.
I have put it into my post above (as I forgot to do to start with), and will post it again. www.drdino.com
Tennessee R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:59 PM   #14
Doc Savage
IndyFan

Oops. Ma mauvais.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #15
Johan
IndyFan

Hey guys read the book "Noah's Flood" by William Ryan and Walter Pitman...they have some startlling evidence of the flood...quite interesting!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:37 PM   #16
bob
IndyFan

'Sigh', the Noah Flood again....

Archaeology is such a rich area of possible discussion and this comes up time and time again, I mean it isn't even archaeology!

I don't see the point of a discussion in which nobody is likely to change their minds, and that bares no relevance to orthodox archaeology (i.e. excavations)

(Sorry.... but this must be the 5th time it has come up)
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
OldawanKenobi
IndyFan

'Archaeology is such a rich area of possible discussion and this comes up time and time again, I mean it isn't even archaeology!'

My feelings exactly.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #18
Doc Savage
IndyFan

If you don't like the discussion, move on to another thread.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #19
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Tenn:
Right, "Fossils are created by minerals replacing the object which is being fossilized, therefore causing them to turn to stone, correct?" Thus stone is created, not formed.

We had this debate in a class I took...that is why I'm making a deal out of it.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #20
Doc Savage
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by bob
'Sigh', the Noah Flood again....

Archaeology is such a rich area of possible discussion and this comes up time and time again, I mean it isn't even archaeology!

I don't see the point of a discussion in which nobody is likely to change their minds, and that bares no relevance to orthodox archaeology (i.e. excavations)

(Sorry.... but this must be the 5th time it has come up)

Various excavations have been done, one is presently underway, and the Turkish government states that the Ark is there. How do you suppse it isn't legitimate archaeology?
Old 07-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #21
Johan
IndyFan

Actually...I Think its in Northern Iran.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #22
bob
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Savage
Various excavations have been done, one is presently underway, and the Turkish government states that the Ark is there. How do you suppse it isn't legitimate archaeology?

I will believe it when I see it, and the Turkish government (imagine if in this devoutly muslim country ruled by a Islamic government they denied it!) would say that wouldn't they.......

But if the excavation goes ahead then I will be pleased to discuss it, but my point of it not being part of Orthodox archaeology is that Noahs Ark is not accepted by the archaeological establishment, and there is very little we can say about the Ark within the science of archaeology.... at the moment (and I really do not wish to sound patronising) the quest for the Ark is a faith based treasure hunt (But I suppose they have worked out in the past, just look at Schlimen the father of archaeology!)

My frustration comes from not so much news about the quest for the Ark but the fact that it drags in that whole controversy about the flood (flood geology, fossils which has nothing to do with archaeology) into the argument and then religion gets involved and the thread turns into the exact same hole that I have seen so many times in this forum, and is definately not about archaeology which is infinitely more interesting than this circular, pointless arguement. It is such a shame that half of the threads in this forum seem to come down to religious faith sooner or later.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #23
Doc Savage
IndyFan

I understand your concerns...and they were nicely put. In my opinion, though, archaeology boils down to an interpretation of facts. Various paleontologists, archaeologists, and geologists have dismissed large portions of information worthy of consideration simply because it alluded too much to the Bible for comfort. I think most of us "Ark" advocates sometimes get a little zealous when there's actually an outlet for our speculation, information, and common faith. We don't do this to be "armchair archaeologists" so much as we do it, I think, to be fact-as-well-as-faith based believers. We certainly mean no harm or offense in the discussing and hypothosizing, we just like considering what most of the scientific community ridicules or ignores.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #24
OldawanKenobi
IndyFan

Going back to the site at Mount Ararat,I know that an exploratory project was underway this summer,but are they really considering excavation?Seems like that would not be such a good idea,given the nature of the find.

Last edited by OldawanKenobi : 07-03-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #25
Johan
IndyFan

They'll be excavating in the WRONG PLACE~
The Bible Say's MOUNTAINS <- notice Plural of Ararat and Ararat was a land that covered a lot more geography back then...I read a lot of books on the subject...and the Bible

Last edited by Johan : 07-05-2004 at 09:08 PM.