General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Let's focus on his other comment: "I wouldn't hold your breath."

Some fans may go blue in the face and require urgent attention. It's safer to assume that Indy V won't happen, but if you read through this entire thread, somewhere amongst it is the entire potential plot anyway. Our imagination of what Indy V should be is very likely going to outpace what the film will be.

We can't seriously expect 'more mature' Indy to blow our socks off, unless he goes all wrinkly and husky Clint Eastwood on us, and pulls his Webley, S&W, or Browning (preferably all three) and pulls the trigger in anger. :gun:

Mickiana

Maybe the rigors of marriage will have Indy needing to go on expeditions and blow some people away just to get some steam off (Marion is argumentative, as is he). He might come across a wife beater and need to give him what for! If they do make the damn thing, more shooting on Indy's part, more whip and more peril. Perilous, I say!!

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Maybe the rigors of marriage will have Indy needing to go on expeditions and blow some people away just to get some steam off (Marion is argumentative, as is he). He might come across a wife beater and need to give him what for! If they do make the damn thing, more shooting on Indy's part, more whip and more peril. Perilous, I say!!

Imagine a prologue with a reprise of the ?gun gag?. Indy is standing looking over a sheer cliff edge and he hears a noise behind him. There?s a huge brute of a man charging towards him (think Kevin Nash). Indy reaches for his holster, but the revolver?s missing. The man is almost upon him, as Indy reaches inside his jacket and pulls out the Browning hi-power and empties the clip into the brute, who drops dead at his feet.

The man in the hat is back!

richo

Are you people crazy? Has Indy 4 taught you nothing?

As far as I am concerned there is a trilogy of great films, that were made at an appropriate time.

No I don't want any further damage to the franchise thank you very much. A 70 year old Indy and Mutt Williams. No thank you.

Mickiana

Come on, richo, you've got to be positive (you don't really - it just helps keep the mood light).

And, yes, that's the spirit, Montana. Suspense, violence and action all in one idea.

Sharkey

Montana Smith said:
I The man is almost upon him, as Indy reaches inside his jacket and pulls out the Browning hi-power and empties the clip into the brute, who drops dead at his feet.
Then he says: "no more spam, The man."

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
I ask myself - does married Indy still have the balls? ;)

It seems to me that one particular element of the character was changed that affected the overall feel of the franchise and Indy himself. Whether or not it was an intentional change or and unintentional oversight from the 19 year hiatus is certainly open to conjecture. Now that my preamble is finished, I'll spit it out: The "Swashbuckling" aspect of Indy's personality, which directly affected his adventures. Gone is the skirt-chasing and risk-taking. The Indy of KOTCS wasn't involved in a new love interest, which is a first. The opening 3rd act shows Indy thrust into an adventure, rather than being in one of his choosing, which is also new. In fact, all the risk taking in this is instigated by not him, but the members of his entourage. He is reacting to events that are set into motion by everyone else around him, rather than being the catalyst himself. It would seem less out of place perhaps if Indy 5 were to continue this type of character, creating more of a distinction between the OT Indy and our "new" or "older" Indy. Not sure which approach would serve the franchise better now that KOTCS has been unleashed on the world. If Indy carries on as purely a reactionary character, then we have definitively two franchises: Old Indy and Middle-Aged Indy, which provides a chance for KOTCS to find a more comfortable place in the more modern version of the series, or a second trilogy, even. If a 5th film emerges and showcases the more proactive Indy that we knew in the 80's, well KOTCS is forever doomed to stand out as a complete oddball addition to the series. I think that if the 5th is ever made, it will most likely land somewhere in between, which of course is the safest plan, and the best way to address the superfluous criticism of the last movie.

So Montana, the answer to your question is that he could but it's anyone's guess as to whether he will.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
I ask myself - does married Indy still have the balls? ;)

He lost them when he returned to Madagascar on an expedition in 1953. The Sultan did warn him never to return....

Now Marion keeps them in her purse.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
It seems to me that one particular element of the character was changed that affected the overall feel of the franchise and Indy himself. Whether or not it was an intentional change or and unintentional oversight from the 19 year hiatus is certainly open to conjecture. Now that my preamble is finished, I'll spit it out: The "Swashbuckling" aspect of Indy's personality, which directly affected his adventures. Gone is the skirt-chasing and risk-taking. The Indy of KOTCS wasn't involved in a new love interest, which is a first. The opening 3rd act shows Indy thrust into an adventure, rather than being in one of his choosing, which is also new. In fact, all the risk taking in this is instigated by not him, but the members of his entourage. He is reacting to events that are set into motion by everyone else around him, rather than being the catalyst himself. It would seem less out of place perhaps if Indy 5 were to continue this type of character, creating more of a distinction between the OT Indy and our "new" or "older" Indy. Not sure which approach would serve the franchise better now that KOTCS has been unleashed on the world. If Indy carries on as purely a reactionary character, then we have definitively two franchises: Old Indy and Middle-Aged Indy, which provides a chance for KOTCS to find a more comfortable place in the more modern version of the series, or a second trilogy, even. If a 5th film emerges and showcases the more proactive Indy that we knew in the 80's, well KOTCS is forever doomed to stand out as a complete oddball addition to the series. I think that if the 5th is ever made, it will most likely land somewhere in between, which of course is the safest plan, and the best way to address the superfluous criticism of the last movie.

So Montana, the answer to your question is that he could but it's anyone's guess as to whether he will.

This is what I've been arguing. KOTCS Indy had everything piled on him. He's still Indy, but older. Yet the story didn't allow him freedom of choice - leaving him reactive, as you say.

Now they've taken Indy down this route, it's hard to switch out of it. Consequently, I'm not in favour of seeing an Indy V, since it will likely follow the same pattern. Will he magically have overcome the problems of age? Only if age is a state of mind, and I don't think Indy really accepted getting older in the first place. So it would look out of place to return him to the vitality of the risk-taking and pro-active man we last saw in TLC.

With Mutt and Marion as fixtures the next film would be more family oriented, rather than the individual who sets off on adventure and collects companions as he goes.

Raiders112390 said:
He lost them when he returned to Madagascar on an expedition in 1953. The Sultan did warn him never to return....

Now Marion keeps them in her purse.

:D

But she lets him have them back on special occasions!

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
This is what I've been arguing. KOTCS Indy had everything piled on him. He's still Indy, but older. Yet the story didn't allow him freedom of choice - leaving him reactive, as you say.

Now they've taken Indy down this route, it's hard to switch out of it. Consequently, I'm not in favour of seeing an Indy V, since it will likely follow the same pattern. Will he magically have overcome the problems of age? Only if age is a state of mind, and I don't think Indy really accepted getting older in the first place. So it would look out of place to return him to the vitality of the risk-taking and pro-active man we last saw in TLC.

Of course, there is another angle to consider as we vivisection the character in this way. Indy does not physically acknowledge his age in KOTCS, in fact he's more bullet-proof than ever before! Should he return to form in by taking more risks by choice, and is then physically punished for doing so, it could work. Do you see what I mean? :hat:

(it would kind of add a little more depth to the karma of the characters in the bigscreen Indyverse)

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Of course, there is another angle to consider as we vivisection the character in this way. Indy does not physically acknowledge his age in KOTCS, in fact he's more bullet-proof than ever before! Should he return to form in by taking more risks by choice, and is then physically punished for doing so, it could work. Do you see what I mean? :hat:

(it would kind of add a little more depth to the karma of the characters in the bigscreen Indyverse)

In the movie I think we're limited to his saying things like, "I thought that was closer", or "This used to be easier". In the novelization I'm sure Rollins makes much more of Indy's physical condition (a dodgy hip, aches and pains).

Making him actually more bullet proof was a paradoxical situation, that Lucas and Spielberg brought upon themselves when they decided to go 'all out' on spectacle.

I'm all for seeing Indy showing bloody cuts and bruises, and human frailties, by whatever conceit they can come up with, whether it be through his own choice of action, as you suggest. Reading beyond the script, movie and novel, we can assign his bullet-proof nature to a temporary state of protection afforded by the Interdimensionals, who needed him to survive to do their bidding. The Skull chose to speak to Indy, masking him a 'chosen one'. Though, since that has never been referenced officially, it would be hard to broach in he next one.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
Making him actually more bullet proof was a paradoxical situation, that Lucas and Spielberg brought upon themselves when they decided to go 'all out' on spectacle.

Though a lot of fans dismiss the spectacle of KOTCS as being no less believable than it's predecessors, I can't view it this way. So In short, I agree that they kind of painted themselves into a corner by taking a firm step over the line with KOTCS.

Montana Smith said:
Reading beyond the script, movie and novel, we can assign his bullet-proof nature to a temporary state of protection afforded by the Interdimensionals, who needed him to survive to do their bidding. The Skull chose to speak to Indy, masking him a 'chosen one'. Though, since that has never been referenced officially, it would be hard to broach in he next one.

Hard to broach only until it's officially addressed! I love this take on it as much as my preferred interpretation that there was an E.T.-style mind meld/psychic connection between Indy and the skull from the interrogation scene until the ufo. Too bad there is little to back this up with. Of course if this were the case, Oxley would have succeeded in returning the skull himself. Of course the crystal skull's influence would have to be pretty far-reaching to have been responsible for the fridge-survival. Still, Indy as a "Chosen One" is kind of neat trope that fits nicely with the nature his character in the largest sense, and is perfectly in line with the events of KOTCS.

Anyway, regarding your "paradoxical situation": It's only so because Indy as we've known him on the big screen is paradoxical to traditional "heroes" in the sense that we love to see him get beat up! Seriously, I get a perverse thrill in seeing him get beaten, whipped, shot, etc.

Mickiana

He normally cops a hiding, showing the injuries and being the worse off for it and this is great, but he also gives a hiding with fist, whip or gun. This was watered down too much in CS.

kevster

Guys, Sorry to interrupt the conversation. Found a new interesting Indy 5 answer by Karen Allen

THE DEADBOLT: Where do things stand with you and a fifth Indiana Jones movie?

ALLEN: I am waiting to hear when and if they have a script. What I know is that there’s a story that they like, which is huge step forward. I heard this about six months ago that they have a story that they like and they’re working on it. I don’t think I’ll really know anything more until they have a script they like. And at that point I’ll probably get filled in a little bit, and there’s no guarantee I’ll be in the film. However, now that we’re man and wife, I’m very hopeful they will continue with a story I’m included in. We’ll just have to see. But I would very, very very much love to continue in the family and the process.

6 months!? I remember Steven saying he cracked the story in 2009 :rolleyes: ;)

Indy's brother

kevster said:
Guys, Sorry to interrupt the conversation. Found a new interesting Indy 5 answer by Karen Allen

ALLEN: I am waiting to hear when and if they have a script. What I know is that there?s a story that they like, which is huge step forward. I heard this about six months ago that they have a story that they like and they?re working on it. I don?t think I?ll really know anything more until they have a script they like. And at that point I?ll probably get filled in a little bit, and there?s no guarantee I?ll be in the film. However, now that we?re man and wife, I?m very hopeful they will continue with a story I?m included in. We?ll just have to see. But I would very, very very much love to continue in the family and the process.

Thanks for posting that kevster, here's the link to the whole article.(y)

Montana Smith

kevster said:

ALLEN: I am waiting to hear when and if they have a script. What I know is that there?s a story that they like, which is huge step forward. I heard this about six months ago that they have a story that they like and they?re working on it. I don?t think I?ll really know anything more until they have a script they like. And at that point I?ll probably get filled in a little bit, and there?s no guarantee I?ll be in the film. However, now that we?re man and wife, I?m very hopeful they will continue with a story I?m included in. We?ll just have to see. But I would very, very very much love to continue in the family and the process.

6 months!? I remember Steven saying he cracked the story in 2009 :rolleyes: ;)

The article writer sums it up: "But like the early stages of all movies still in the script stages, actors are often in the dark until it's ready and working to the satisfaction of the filmmakers, which is the case with Karen Allen and Indy 5."

Everyone apart from Lucas and Spielberg will also be in the dark, including the writers that they're hiring.