"In Search of the Lost City of Gold" on tonight

sandiegojones

I thought I would post this since it pertains to Indy 4. History International has a show on tonight about this "mythical" lost city. From the website:

In the 16th century, Spanish conquistadors swept through Peru in search of great golden treasure. But when they stormed the Incan stronghold of Vilcabamba in 1572, they found the city deserted, burned, and stripped of its wealth. Legend says that the Incas had retreated deep into the jungle and built another magnificent city in an inaccessible quarter of the cloud forest. For more than four centuries, explorers, adventurers, and archaeologists have searched for the gold and riches of the Incas. Now, we follow Tahir Shah, who teams up with Pancho, a Machiguenga warrior who claims that as a youth, he saw massive stone ruins deep in Peru's Madre de Dios jungle. Set against a backdrop of virgin jungle and cloud forest, we join with Shah as he searches for the greatest Lost City of the Americas and the Incan treasure.

I watch History a lot so if I see other related shows I'll keep you all posted.

Munpa

Very interesting, thanks. Hope in other similar articles in 'text' because i can't see the channel. :/

jtobin13

others

thanks sandiegp!!!!!!
ps
wonder who the others will be also looking for the skull
scene 13 on soundtrack---- acc to ij.com

Michael24

History International? I assume that's different from the regular History Channel? That's all I get. :(

Burke

Michael24 said:
History International? I assume that's different from the regular History Channel? That's all I get. :(

Think of it this way:

For every "History of the Exodus" program that History Channel shows, History International does one like, "The Red Sea was actually parted by aliens in UFOs."

enoch

I once heard that the natives believed that the reason these conquistadors were unable to locate El Dorado is because it had lifted into the air. Yet I find almost no mention of this myth anywhere to support that. Did I imagine this myth?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
enoch said:
I once heard that the natives believed that the reason these conquistadors were unable to locate El Dorado is because it had lifted into the air. Yet I find almost no mention of this myth anywhere to support that. Did I imagine this myth?

Did you ever play a computer game called "Legacy of Time" which was about time travel and involved the fates of Atlantis, Shangri-La, and El Dorado? There were aliens involved, and El Dorado had lots of hot air balloons. Wonder if this might be of a piece with your memory.

enoch

I tell you truely Attila, this was from some kind of documentary many years ago. It's as if that detail about the city lifting up has been erased since then. :confused:

That sounds like my kind of video game though. All roads lead to ancient astronauts.

Ska

Did anyone watch the show?

It was "meh" at best.

First of all, Tahir made it all the way to the guide's (Pancho) home...only to be turned away and told to come back in 5 months (due to the season).

So after 5 months, Tahir revisited the village and found Pancho. Pancho told Tahir that he knew where the city was. But the tribe would only allow Pancho to travel so far. So Tahir and his group, led by Pancho, traveled miles up river. Pancho decided to continue for the whole journey, because Tahir promised him that he would take him to the city (evidentally Pancho's never visited an urban city).

Finally, Pancho told Tahir that the city was at the top of this hill, up steep cliffs through the dense jungle. All they ended up finding was two rectangular shaped rocks that COULD have been carved by man. Then Pancho left the group and headed back to his village...soon after, the camera crew left also. But Tahir decided to continue to find the city, only to give up after sleeping by himself one night in the jungle.

Keeping to his promise, Tahir still took Pancho to see the big city. Tahir spent most of the time on camera with his head in his hands, frustrated. I got a crack out of it!:D

Last edited:

sandiegojones

Yeah, it turned out to be crap. Just some guy looking in the jungle. No actual info enlightening people about what Paititi (lost Inca city of gold) really was or the myth behind it.