Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

kongisking

Stoo said:
People can have any other passion they feel like. (I have other passions, too.)

Okay, fair point.

No, not at all. That is entirely incorrect, Kongisking. If all Indy fans were like me they WOULDN'T EVEN BOTHER LOOKING at a Batman forum!:p

Damn, another good point...

Call Indy 4, "KOCKS", as many times as you wish. It won't bother me because this is an Indiana Jones website and that moniker has never upset me before. If I went around on Batman forums saying, "Dork Knight", all the time then you'd have someting to compare with...but I don't do that. (Nor have I have ever posted in the 2 "Dork Knight"-dedicated threads here at The Raven.)

Aw, shoot, three good points in a row...

Please, Kong, don't let this issue get between us, eh?.:cool:

Heh. I'll never stop the fight, Stoo. But know this: you'll always be a pal nevertheless. Fighting is an age-old trademark of friendships, after all! :hat:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Heh. I'll never stop the fight, Stoo. But know this: you'll always be a pal nevertheless. Fighting is an age-old trademark of friendships, after all! :hat:

I miss fighting with He-Who-Can-No-Longer-Be-Named.

Dr.Jonesy

Speaking of hate, the DVD collection cover was just posted on Facebook, too. Looks great!

Though...the comments section is ravaging KOTCS though. Out of the 200 comments, 73 are ripping the living hell out of that film. I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen this much hatred directed towards KOTCS or even TOD. Or to any film, for that matter. Not that Facebook always has pleasant comments, but still.

"There are only three Indy films. I went back in time and un-made that fourth debacle. Which is about as plausible as the plot in that film."

"I would like to donate my Crystal Skull copy to the poor African children who will soon be under the impression that the Thunder are NBA champions."

"No thank you. Crystal skull is not allowed in my house. Even if my kids love it, its not allowed."

"*All 3 movies and an extra disc..." - 14 likes

"why is Crystal skull in this????"

"Can I get the first three, then get credit back for the 4th? Or is that included for free because of how crappy it was?"

"There was a 4th movie?"

"Four movies? There were only THREE!!!!!!!!"

"I would rather pay more money for a box set that only includes the first three."

"The 4th movie should of been aborted...."

"I'll take the first 3 and use the 4th as a drink coaster."

"It's possible that people are hating on the 4th movie, not because it's trendy, but because the 4th movie was awful. Did you consider that before you Hipster ****ed all over everyone?"

"4 movies? pretty sure there are only 3....."

"There is no fourth film."

"Can we just buy Raiders, Temple & Last Crusade? I'd prefer to live in a world without the existence of crystal skull."

"NOT the complete avdenture...#4!? THERE IS NO NUMBER 4 DAMNIT DIE LUCAS"

"I believe you mean "All three movies, and then that other knockoff one.' Burning the 4th."

Wow...sound like children, IMO.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Speaking of hate, the DVD collection cover was just posted on Facebook, too. Looks great!

Though...the comments section is ravaging KOTCS though. Out of the 200 comments, 73 are ripping the living hell out of that film. I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen this much hatred directed towards KOTCS or even TOD. Or to any film, for that matter. Not that Facebook always has pleasant comments, but still.

Wonder if they were all Dark Knight fans?

They obviously have good taste in any case! :p

mattzilla2010

Sorry to all for my continued large posts...

mikieson said:
whos faster Superman OR the FLASH??
The Flash! :p

mikieson said:
EVEN comparing them at the box office isnt totally right.. 2 different movies with different fans and different generations of people..
Not entirely true. I'm a fan of both. My dad's a fan of both. Both characters have broad fanbases that certainly aren't limited by generation.

Stoo said:
So I'm not allowed to say that superhero fans are a pile of pimple-popping nose-pickers with bad body odour?
Right. :p In fact I'm sure if you met me in person you would be absolutely wowed by my lack of burst pimples, my impeccable nose-related manners and my absolutely heavenly scent.

Stoo said:
How about this: I will watch "Batgoof Begins" if you post a review of "Gunga Din" after seeing it. "I call that a bargain." (Who reference for ya!)
The best I ever had. ;)

I'm gonna hold you to that!

Stoo said:
You're in luck, Matt, because it turns out someone already has posted it to YouTube!
Good stuff!

Stoo said:
More like James-Bond-mode. Fighting power-hungry villains doesn't make a character a "superhero".
'Tis a very big part of it though.

Montana Smith said:
Yes, James Bond. Another notable and intentional inspiration.

Bond was also like Batman. A non-powered human relying on gadgets to take on criminal masterminds.

Indy is a man of few gadgets. The whip is a regular.

I see these three as stemming from similar sources, but each going their own way over time.

They all did outrageous things, and mostly got away with them. All larger than life in their own ways.
All of this. (y)

The Drifter said:
In all honesty, Stoo is 100% correct. During the summer of 2008 The Raven was ate up with insane Dark Night fans, I never took part in thier DK threads because I hadn't seen the movie (and still haven't), but, thier fandom for it spilled into the tangle of Skull threads. It did get to the point where every Skull thread was pure bashing and DK praising. It's one thing to post that opinion in a thread dedicated to the DK, but it's a huge pain in the ass to have seen it in almost every Skull thread.
That's unfortunate. :( Chalk that up to widespread immaturity then. It's almost like mass hysteria...

These particular Batman fans seem to be forgetting that not so long ago, the Batman film series produced a stinker of such epic proportions that it makes Crystal Skull look like The Godfather. I speak, of course, of Batman & Robin. :sick:

Dr. Jonesy said:
Wow...sound like children, IMO.
The root of the issue! (And Stoo, the continued use of phrases like "Dork Knight" and "Batgoof Begins" is not helping :p)

Dr. Gonzo

Dr.Jonesy said:
"I would rather pay more money for a box set that only includes the first three."

tumblr_lybhcaaC5r1qhzjz5.png

I'm not a fan of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but that makes no sense.

Dr.Jonesy

Dr. Gonzo said:
tumblr_lybhcaaC5r1qhzjz5.png

I'm not a fan of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but that makes no sense.

Exactly. If Lucas did release a box set with only the first 3 for more $, that same guy would be accusing Lucas of a cashgrab.

Jase25

2 Cents from a comic guy....

Ok first off I'm a comic geek have been since I was like 5...I'm 42 now and still a geek for all things four color, stapled, and glossy covered. With that said I don't think Bat-Fans shot Indy in the foot at the box office...but I just don't quite get this line in the sand everyone seems to have to draw. Can't someone like both or just all things entertaining. You hear the argument even here on this board....and I just don't understand it. I loved the Batman movies and I look forward to "Rises"...why cause they are entertaining...it's disbelief. It's 2 hours or so of...not thinking about the mortgage or bills or work or anything that ails you. It's fun...and it's what movies are suppose to be, or am I missing something?

For KOTCS....hate to say it...but I liked it...a lot. I thought it was funny, fast pasted, plenty of action, filled with great characters, excellent special effects, and those trademark Indy punches that sound like gunshots!....and to me it was a thrill to take my kids and introduce them to a movie series that I fell in love with when I was only 11 years old. And my kids loved it too. They left the theater laughing and talking about their favorite parts and my 8 and 9 year old sons were taking turns with their robe belts swinging them around like whips :whip: for weeks after, so I say the film worked and hit it's target audience.

So Batman is better then Indy?? or Vice Versa?? Um...no. They are each their own characters in their own worlds. Indy wouldn't work in Gotham and Bats wouldn't work running out of the idol chamber being chased by a huge round boulder. But like I started this post...that's just my 2 cents. You guys can go back to your "Taste Great...Less Filling" rant now. Although at the end of the day it does kinda get like to mules fighting over a turnip...no one really cares.

Archaeos

So Batman is better then Indy?? or Vice Versa?? .

To be honest, I just cannot understand the premise or logic of this comparison in the first place. It's like saying that Vanessa Paradis is a better singer than Joe Cocker... :cool:

Montana Smith

Archaeos said:
To be honest, I just cannot understand the premise or logic of this comparison in the first place. It's like saying that Vanessa Paradis is a better singer than Joe Cocker... :cool:

I've watched Noce blanche more than once. I don't care how she sings. ;)

Jase25 said:
You guys can go back to your "Taste Great...Less Filling" rant now. Although at the end of the day it does kinda get like to mules fighting over a turnip...no one really cares.

You mean to say that there are people who were taking this thread seriously?

I guess that's a possibility. But I suppose it's no surprise that lunatics inhabit an aslyum.

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
But I suppose it's no surprise that lunatics inhabit an aslyum.

This IS the Raven...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S9MjWBInGZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and you can call me McMurphy.

kongisking

Jase25 said:
Ok first off I'm a comic geek have been since I was like 5...I'm 42 now and still a geek for all things four color, stapled, and glossy covered. With that said I don't think Bat-Fans shot Indy in the foot at the box office...but I just don't quite get this line in the sand everyone seems to have to draw. Can't someone like both or just all things entertaining. You hear the argument even here on this board....and I just don't understand it. I loved the Batman movies and I look forward to "Rises"...why cause they are entertaining...it's disbelief. It's 2 hours or so of...not thinking about the mortgage or bills or work or anything that ails you. It's fun...and it's what movies are suppose to be, or am I missing something?

For KOTCS....hate to say it...but I liked it...a lot. I thought it was funny, fast pasted, plenty of action, filled with great characters, excellent special effects, and those trademark Indy punches that sound like gunshots!....and to me it was a thrill to take my kids and introduce them to a movie series that I fell in love with when I was only 11 years old. And my kids loved it too. They left the theater laughing and talking about their favorite parts and my 8 and 9 year old sons were taking turns with their robe belts swinging them around like whips :whip: for weeks after, so I say the film worked and hit it's target audience.

So Batman is better then Indy?? or Vice Versa?? Um...no. They are each their own characters in their own worlds. Indy wouldn't work in Gotham and Bats wouldn't work running out of the idol chamber being chased by a huge round boulder. But like I started this post...that's just my 2 cents. You guys can go back to your "Taste Great...Less Filling" rant now. Although at the end of the day it does kinda get like to mules fighting over a turnip...no one really cares.

You, sir, are my new pal. :hat:

Stoo

mikieson said:
And I have to stand my ground, grown adults arguing over fictional characters being "better then the other" is just something Ive never witnessed.
---
I had NO idea people put batman "who im not that big a fan of" against a "more real,no superpowers" Indy..It just dont make sense honestly.
Jase25 said:
So Batman is better then Indy?? or Vice Versa?? Um...no.
Guys, it doesn't take a genius to see that "better than the other" isn't being debated at present. The recent discussion is about if they are similar or not.
mikieson said:
EVEN comparing them at the box office isnt totally right.. 2 different movies with different fans and different generations of people..
Jase25 said:
They are each their own characters in their own worlds. Indy wouldn't work in Gotham and Bats wouldn't work running out of the idol chamber being chased by a huge round boulder. But like I started this post...that's just my 2 cents.
Thanks, guys, because you are reinforcing my point: They are DIFFERENT characters, therefore, all the Batlovers who infested this place and shat on Indy 4 while praising The Clown Movie were comparing apples to eggs. (Though, mikieson's comment about "different fans and different generations of people" is obviously incorrect...as Mattzilla, Kongisking & others can attest.)

The Indy-esque, Rick O'Connell character also had a movie that was released during the same summer as "Crystal Skull" and "Dork Knight" but O'Connell fans didn't come here to crap on Indy 4. It was the raging Bat-twits!:gun: (See: The Drifter's post #180.)
Jase25 said:
You guys can go back to your "Taste Great...Less Filling" rant now. Although at the end of the day it does kinda get like to mules fighting over a turnip...no one really cares.
Well, you cared enough to give your thoughts.:p

That said, Welcome to The Raven, Jase25!:D

Last edited:

kongisking

Stoo said:
Guys, it doesn't take a genius to see that "better than the other" isn't being debated at present. The recent discussion is about if they are similar or not.

Thanks, guys, because you are reinforcing my point: They are DIFFERENT characters, therefore, all the Batlovers who infested this place and shat on Indy 4 while praising The Clown Movie were comparing apples to eggs. (Though, mikieson's comment about "different fans and different generations of people" is obviously incorrect...as Mattzilla, Kongisking & others can attest.)

The Indy-esque, Rick O'Connell character also had a movie that was released during the same summer as "Crystal Skull" and "Dork Knight" but O'Connell fans didn't come here to crap on Indy 4. It was the raging Bat-twits!:gun: (See: The Drifter's post #180.)
Well, you cared enough to give your thoughts.:p

That said, Welcome to The Raven, Jase25!:D

Well, Stoo, I will concur that it is most despicable that we Batman fans were mercilessly ripping KOTCS a new one. I agree, they are wholly different films, style-wise and story-wise. It's always awful when fans of one thing I like take to bashing another thing I like just as much, and I really feel bad that you're opinion towards Batman has been so soured by us Batfans, ahem, ass-wipe behavior.

If I could represent all Batman fans and give a formal apology to KOTCS for all the abuse we gave it, I would, but I bet a lot of us Batfans would call me a traitor and burn me to the stake...Fact is, I love both KOTCS and The Dark Knight, and it saddens me that both films are now the target of hatred by the fan communities for both films.

Seriously (I will refrain from turning that into a Joker pun), it's like seeing two of my most beloved friends fighting with each other, accusing the other of being a terrible human being. It just makes me shake my head. :(

Dr.Jonesy

When I was little, the two fictional guys that were my heroes were none other than Batman and Indiana Jones.