Star Wars: The Clone Wars

It's not just the sight of familiar characters now rendered in CGI to resemble caricatured and very springy puppets that feels so wrong. The story here lacks the epic sweep that's always made the saga such a winning formula.

In the midst of action, a reluctant Anakin is ordered to tutor student Jedi Ashoka (Eckstein), who resembles an orange-skinned Christina Aguilera wearing the back end of a pantomime zebra as a hair-do. In fairness the teasing, squabbling and wisecracks going on between the duo are a great deal more convincing than the notoriously wooden romance of Anakin and Padme in the live action prequels, but the tone is firmly aimed at a pre-teen audience. No one's denying that Star Wars was made with children in mind, but the goofy, high school soap-style evident here merely highlights the gap between Star Wars: The Clone Wars and its predecessors.

It also needs to be said that as spectacle the film fares badly compared to the previous 'Clone Wars' TV series, broadcast between 2003-5. These short and frantic adventures boasted great design work from Genndy Tartakovski and, as traditionally animated cartoons, were free to tell their stories in a far more colourful, striking and dramatic fashion, fully exploiting the medium's strengths.

I guess if you're a 5 year kid easily wowed by a flamboyant palette of psychedelic day-glo colors awash with no comprehension of logistical narrative structure and stringy wooden charicature puppets like the proud peacock is then this is the perfect movie for you.

Belloq

sandiegojones said:
People are looking to hate because that's all they know how to do. Critics are "critical" because that's their job. they are going to find as much fault as possible. Even movies with good reviews are filled with negative comments (yes, even TDK did too). This is CLEARLY meant for kids, not 30 year old fat losers who live in their parents basements. I'm taking my 4 year old and he'll like and I'll probably feel, meh. But if he has fun that's all I care about. I find it funny that the people most critical are the ones who have no lives outside of the movies and internet chat rooms.

Once again, this is a kids show. If the live action serious is lame and childish then I'll complain with the rest of you about GL. For now I get my SW fill from games like Knights of the Old Republic and hopefully The Force Unleashed since the stories are more fleshed out.

I agree with you that this movie is just for kids; however, the epic of Star Wars was started for adults, kids, etc to view it and go to "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Enjoying adventurous nature, the storyline, and above all else the great acting is all Star Wars should be about.

Unfortunately for the case of the plucky "Clone Wars" movie. The bad storyline and horrible "voice" acting bastardizes the Star Wars epic and all that it stands for. I'm all for a great movie for the kids, but please don't turn Star Wars into Scooby Doo.

Needless to say, being Indyfans we all see this new revival of the 70's/80's epics including Indiania Jones arising and turning toward this cheap thrill, shell of what they used to be, causing moveis such as "the Clone Wars" a problem for the Indy community.

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
I guess if you're a 5 year kid easily wowed by a flamboyant palette of psychedelic day-glo colors awash with no comprehension of logistical narrative structure and stringy wooden charicature puppets like the proud peacock is then this is the perfect movie for you.
What is it that you think 5 years old like? Look at TV shows for kids, this can't possibly be worse. You just want to get on your soapbox and be a Lucas hater.

Personally the only reason I'm seeing this is for my son. I still prefer the OT but if my son likes it then I'll be glad to share SW with him.

sandiegojones

Belloq said:
Unfortunately for the case of the plucky "Clone Wars" movie. The bad storyline and horrible "voice" acting bastardizes the Star Wars epic and all that it stands for. I'm all for a great movie for the kids, but please don't turn Star Wars into Scooby Doo.
Yeah, but you can ignore them. I hate the EU stuff. Thrawn, Cloned Emperor, Cloned Maul, Luke married...yawn! There's been lots of really dumb comics and novels and video games, but they don't change the OT. If you're not a kid then don't see Clone Wars. If you're 25 and expect Episode 2.5, then you're fooling yourself. For some young kids this may be their introduction to SW and of course they'll eventually enjoy and prefer the films.

But there's no denying that it tarnishes the brilliance of the originals when 75% of the saga is now dumbed-down juvenile crap like Jar Jar and Stinky the Hutt. It diminishes the brilliance of the OT that once appealed to ALL ages a long time ago and has turned in into a Saturday morning cartoon for pre-teen audiences. The Clone Wars is a shining example of how Lucas has turned Star Wars into G.I. Joe by fighting armies of goofy robots akin to having armies of badshot Cobra troopers who always eject and parachute out of danger since it is verboten to show the horrors of war and violence to children. Fighting armies of clunky droids makes it "safe." So much for the Clone Wars being about Jedi fighting Dark Side dopplegangers of Dark Jedi. It's all just a big smackdown of Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots.

sandiegojones

Clone Wars does no more damage to SW than The Ewok Adventure did to the OT. I'm not dissagreeing that CW is unnecessary though. I also won't argue that GL should move on. How many times can he bring Jabba back and change his back story? He added him back to ANH and then put him in TPM, now CW. GL needs to go forward with new heroes and villains and quit adding so many different story strands to the characters (like C-3PO). They're all becoming like Forrest Gump with all of their adventures and interactions!

Lets hope the "adult" themed live action show is what we are hoping for!

Last edited:

The Man

jabba.jpg

"It's true! Your uncle felt me up!"

Nurhachi1991

Agent Spalko said:
But there's no denying that it tarnishes the brilliance of the originals when 75% of the saga is now dumbed-down juvenile crap like Jar Jar and Stinky the Hutt. It diminishes the brilliance of the OT that once appealed to ALL ages a long time ago and has turned in into a Saturday morning cartoon for pre-teen audiences. The Clone Wars is a shining example of how Lucas has turned Star Wars into G.I. Joe by fighting armies of goofy robots akin to having armies of badshot Cobra troopers who always eject and parachute out of danger since it is verboten to show the horrors of war and violence to children. Fighting armies of clunky droids makes it "safe." So much for the Clone Wars being about Jedi fighting Dark Side dopplegangers of Dark Jedi. It's all just a big smackdown of Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots.

Leave Cobra out of this............

The Man

Peacock's-Eye said:
No, sorry, that was a blatant homophobic statement & I won't tolerate it.

Homophobic?! Not really. I'm no gay-basher. Nor do I believe that homosexuals need to be kid-gloved any more or less than heterosexuals. And there does paedophilia come into it? That's clearly more your assumption, your connotation than mine. Hotheaded tonight, aren't we?

The Man

http://www.mercurynews.com/movies/ci_10191357

The real question, though, is who is this movie for? Aside from those waning few who speak Wookie fluently, that is. Fans of the technologically overwhelming prequels are likely to be underwhelmed by the animation, and small children these days probably equate "Star Wars" with log cabins and hula hoops.

The first movie was great, the second was good, and since then it's been pretty much downhill. By the moons of Gomulus, let the Skywalkers rest in peace.

Peacock's-Eye

The Man said:
Homophobic?! Not really. I'm no gay-basher. Nor do I believe that homosexuals need to be kid-gloved any more or less than heterosexuals. And there does paedophilia come into it? That's clearly more your assumption, your connotation than mine. Hotheaded tonight, aren't we?
No, you have a problem & I'm helping you confront it. Whether you accept this and use it to better yourself or hide behind a lame "who me?" defense is up to you.

Oh, and that 'review' sh!t.

The Man

Peacock's-Eye said:
No, you have a problem & I'm helping you confront it. Whether you accept this and use it to better yourself or hide behind a lame "who me?" defense is up to you.

Oh, and that 'review' sh!t.

So, I'm homophobic sociopath? Is that your diagnosis?*

*Your only looking for a cyberfight, Peacock...

Peacock's-Eye

The Man said:
So, I'm homophobic sociopath? Is that your diagnosis?*

*Your only looking for a cyberfight, Peacock...
OMG - do you wanna meet behind the school at 3:30? Tell everyone - big cyberfight! But we gotta be finished before Transformers comes on!

I'm not the one making homophobic jokes. Grow up.